How much to tip in Palo or Remy?

I haven't been to Remy yet, but I know that the fee you pay at Palo is split between everyone. How much extra you decide to tip is up to you. I usually tip $10 at brunch and dinner(I've been to Palo several times and have always had the same waiter), but when I first went I didn't tip anything for brunch. I had the same waiter that cruise for dinner and he didn't bat an eye. I did leave a tip for dinner because I got alcohol(they include a 15% automatic tip for the bartender). The waiters at Palo are so attentive, so I'm sure they appreciate any extra tip that they don't have to split.

We had brunch & dinner at Palo on our last cruise. We left 25$ each time for the 2 of us. Our server was fantastic. We liked him so much at brunch we requested him for dinner!

We tip 20 for Brunch and 40 for dinner. Service there has always been AMAZING so I tip accordingly. But, you should tip whatever you feel is appropriate for the service you recieved. The only time I tipped more was on our seven night cruise we had the same server for brunch/tea/dinner. Plus on the night my bff went the server gave hwer an extra souffle to send down to me when she told her how much I loved it so we left her a very large tip and raved about her and how great she wason the comment cards.

I've always tipped what the meal cost, so $20 for dinner. I think Remy we did $75.

(interested myself in seeing what other people think!)

Clint

Let me see if I have this correct:

the package/fee for dinner is $20 and that includes the tip which is split

but you all here pay anywhere from ANOTHER $20 - 40?

I was figuring on $5 for me and $5 for my sister for tip....am I too low?

Yes, we tip well above the $20 cover charge/service fee for Palo because what percentage of that the staff get to keep is unclear to us as guests.

The servers are truly fantastic and while we don't always give the same amount, we try to gauge how much we would tip in a land-based restaurant for the same experience. Typically we add $10-20 per person for Palo. To each their own.

We tip $10 per person at brunch and $15 per person at dinner.

You will see a HUGE range of tips in this thread....

I was confused about this too BEFORE we dined in Palo. I couldn't understand why people were tipping what seemed like a lot for a $20 meal. After enjoying the outstanding service and delicious food I completely understood where others came up with these amounts.

Whatever amount you choose to tip is entirely up to you. We received wonderful service and tons of delicious food that would have cost a lot more on land and that's what we based our tip on. Leave whatever amount you feel is appropriate after you have finished your meal. :)

Our server mentioned the upcharge was for the meal and not the service so I don't know how much of the $20 they receive but it must not be much.

My answers in bold :)

I don't know if you are too low, or I'm too high. Despite what that description of the up-charge says, I've always mentally figured the up-charge was for the food costs and not the tip. So my $35 "extra" tip equates to a $175 meal at a 20% tip.

As I type that out, it seems pretty high. I'm probably not going to change (since that is already in my budget), unless the service suddenly drops off and doesn't warrant the tip.

Virtually this exact same thread was posted last week, and the answers were all over the board.

My personal philosophy is to guesstimate the cost of the equivalent meal at home and tip on what that would be. Where I live, the equivalent dinner to Palo would be around $175-200 (without wine) so a $40ish tip would be right.

I don't feel that the servers should be short changed in their tip, simply because the restaurant only charges $20 a head.

At the end of the day, do what feels right to you. It really, really doesn't matter what anonymous strangers on a message board think.

Just as our tips for our dining team cover all the other service we get, then the upchsrge at palo covers the extra cost of the food above the value oh our main dining room meal. I do not see that we need tip 20 percent of the street value of the meal but 20 percent of what we paid. So for a $20 upcharge, we pay $4 or $8 for a couple. They also get an auto tip for any alcohol consumed.

Thank you - this information is really helpful.

Makes sense that if I tip the dining staff at least $10 over the automatic tips that I should be doing something around that for Palo. Appreciate all the tips. Am gonna adjust our tip budget up some.

PS do you leave the tip in cash or do you add it to the bill and it gets put on your account? This will help me reshift our budget if I need to.

We usually just add it to our onboard account. You'll sign a slip that has your $20/pp charge and there is a line for additional gratuity.

You may add cash to your folio if you prefer.

Only have experience with Palo

We add it to the upcharge slip.

For brunch we have been leaving $10 per person. Dinner usually $15 per person. And we feel "good" about it - The total upcharge plus tip is usually less than we would spend at home for a very nice meal + tip.

If you have a Brunch and Dinner you do not need to request the same server. They made sure that we have had the same server on the few occasions that we have had a dinner. Last cruise - 2 brunches, and 1 dinner and same server every time. It was quite nice!!

I'm a little different on tipping, I think the tip should be based on the quality of service, not just the ticket amount. I will agree that cheaper restaurants (such as IHOP) probably have less qualified servers than those at Palo or Remy, so my service at the higher end restaurants is generally much more satisfying.

So, although in general the quality of service reflects the size of the bill (more expensive restaurants have better service), I still like to think I'm tipping for the service itself.

That said, it doesn't matter what the upcharge is. We tip at Palo and Remy based on the service we get, and I've got to admit the servers we've had at Remy have been among the best we've seen around the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter