How much longer will Disney be using Shutters?

Wow. DH and I were debating on whether to pre pay for the photo CD onboard. We LOVE Photopass, so we figure why not? But, I am definitely having second thoughts now. Is it possible just to buy individual photos taken on board if you wish?
Yes, you can buy individual photos. We just got off the Magic and thought that Shutters did a great job. We had many pictures to choose from and almost all of them were very good.

I purchased the unlimited digital option and now I'm thinking about canceling it. I expected to get at least 15ish good pictures on a 5 day cruise, is this unreasonable?

Since they are now putting the RunDisney events on Photopass as well, I do wonder if we will see a change in Shutters in the near future. RunDisney event photos were handled by a third party as well. And the logistics for photographing races would be more difficult to handle than those for a cruise ship. I am sure that Disney and the cruise photo provider most likely have a contract over a specific period. But all contracts are up for renewal now and then, so who knows if Disney might not take the photo business into their own hands.

We just did a 4-night on the Magic a few weeks ago. We had pre-purchased the full package of all our prints and the CD. We ended the cruise with over 120 pictures/prints. In the end, if you want a lot of pictures, it's always going to take some effort on your part. We did a lot of character meets, and stopped for photos in the lobby/atrium with the different backgrounds before and after each dinner. Expecting photographers to follow you around and capture a lot of pics of you is...well, to be blunt...foolish/naive. The only roaming photographers are usually one night at dinner, on the beach at Castaway, and if you go to Palo.

I purchased the unlimited digital option and now I'm thinking about canceling it. I expected to get at least 15ish good pictures on a 5 day cruise, is this unreasonable?

I think you'll get a lot more than 15. I know we have.

Have you priced 15 photos at the individual price? It may be worthwhile to keep the unlimited package. Plus, pre-purchasing the unlimited package does have a discount on it. If it appears you aren't going to get enough photos to justify that cost, you can cancel the full package for full credit back. Just do it by the last full day of the cruise.

Individual photos cost $20.95 for 8X10 and $14.95 for 6X8.

Just back from February 20 Fantasy cruise. We didn't buy any photo package because the pictures weren't that great, but we took a lot of photos with our own camera. In my experience, if a cast member sees you taking a photo of your traveling companion, they will offer to take a photo with you together (just my husband and I were on this cruise). We got a very nice picture taken on formal night by one of the ship's officers, and at each of the SWDAS character meet and greets, the cast member (not the photographer) was taking several shots with everyone's camera or phone, and those pictures were as good as any of the professional ones.

It really is a shame that they gouge you so much for pictures on the cruise. I can go to Disneyworld for a week (or longer) and purchase the MemoryMaker and the cost is $149 pre-purchase and $169 immediate purchase. That figure gives me all the pictures I can get taken in the parks, at the character greetings, at the restaurants (that have them) and all of the rides. Not to mention the "special effect" ones. Yet I have to pay $295 for all my digital prints on the cruise which has limited photo opportunities. Seriously, how can they justify it?

It really is a shame that they gouge you so much for pictures on the cruise. I can go to Disneyworld for a week (or longer) and purchase the MemoryMaker and the cost is $149 pre-purchase and $169 immediate purchase. That figure gives me all the pictures I can get taken in the parks, at the character greetings, at the restaurants (that have them) and all of the rides. Not to mention the "special effect" ones. Yet I have to pay $295 for all my digital prints on the cruise which has limited photo opportunities. Seriously, how can they justify it?
The photos taken in the parks are not taken by professional photographers. No studio, no overhead.

Shutters is a professional photography service. Have you priced having photos taken at a professional studio recently? They are pretty much in line with those.

Wow. DH and I were debating on whether to pre pay for the photo CD onboard. We LOVE Photopass, so we figure why not? But, I am definitely having second thoughts now. Is it possible just to buy individual photos taken on board if you wish?

If you get the CD... PLEASE PLEASE bring a way to check the cd before leaving the ship..
Last cruise got home to find 1/2 my pics. Missing..
Took 3 weeks to locate 1/4 more.. And they never found the other 1/4.. I paid $295 and only got 3/4 of my pics and I had a keep on Shutter CM for them to keep trying to locate the 1/4 the found.

Everything we buy on the DCL, this is becoming the hardest to swallow. Really hope they change something soon.

The photos taken in the parks are not taken by professional photographers. No studio, no overhead.

Shutters is a professional photography service. Have you priced having photos taken at a professional studio recently? They are pretty much in line with those.

Not true.. Most of the photopass photographer are or were professionals..
And ALL have training on how to capture "the magic"

Moving on...
WDW has at least two areas with lights and back drops.
One in DTD and one on magic kingdom.
They are used for the BBB makeovers, however if they are not busy they are more then happy to take a few photos of your family.

Not the mention ALL the indoor character photo set ups..
Mickey, tinker bell, princess x5, (epcot) fab 5, pooh, ect. Ect.
They are ALL Set up simliar to a stuido with lighting and everything.. And the attention to detail in the backgrounds is stunning!

I can get all those photos and many many more for $150!
And the photopass photograhpers know how to capture those special moments of the little ones running to hug their Fav. Characters..
I don't want 75 pictures of my family standing like statues next to mickey, donald, goofy, jack.. ECt.
I want those pictures of them hugging mickey, high fiveing goofy, and laughing with jack sparrow.. That's what we pay all the $$$ for isn't?

Last edited:

I asked a photographer on the Magic for standard upper torso poses in addition to full body. They replied with "it's my first week I don't know how to do those yet." This is also the same person who later told my daughters to bend her arms and put her hands flat over her ****** area. She looked like she was trying to hide her private part in her formal dress.
The photographer gave me a name of somebody who was there longer and that I should talk with him for upper torso photos.

I asked a photographer on the Magic for standard upper torso poses in addition to full body. They replied with "it's my first week I don't know how to do those yet." This is also the same person who later told my daughters to bend her arms and put her hands flat over her ****** area. She looked like she was trying to hide her private part in her formal dress.
The photographer gave me a name of somebody who was there longer and that I should talk with him for upper torso photos.

We have had similar issues..
Worst was a family pic.. Cut off my 4 yo.. All we could see was the top of her head.
Being told "ma'am can you please have your kids look at me instead of minnie . I can't take a pic until everyone is looking" (kids were 1 & 6)

OMG! if all the shutters photographers enforced that rule we would have had no pictures! You know how hard it is to get 8 people to stand still and look at one place all at the same time????

We have had similar issues..
Worst was a family pic.. Cut off my 4 yo.. All we could see was the top of her head.
Being told "ma'am can you please have your kids look at me instead of minnie . I can't take a pic until everyone is looking" (kids were 1 & 6)

OMG! if all the shutters photographers enforced that rule we would have had no pictures! You know how hard it is to get 8 people to stand still and look at one place all at the same time????

I think the photographer missed the point of management: get your subjects attention then take the photo, and don't expect children to pay attention with out assistance. Photographers have props, Mickeys and toys to get kids attentions.
As for me, 2010 Great Great photos, 2014/2015 posed my family so awkward and stiffly, hair over the face. It was just point and shoot.

But even though last time was such a debacle I'm still going to get the overpriced CD/DVD/disk this year. I'm hoping that by July they will have been trained and ready for my close-up!

My problem hasn't been the quality of the photos as the rudeness of the staff and policies that make no sense. Last cruise we went on, I wanted 10 pictures on a USB. Or I would have taken physical if that was all I could get. BUT I didn't want to come back on the day of embarkation. I wanted to leave the ship as soon as the doors opened to catch my flight. The photos were there. I already paid. Would they let me take them? NO. And not even in a nice way. Guy practically bit my head off for asking. Then told me "you have to come back tomorrow at 7am". I mentioned I was concerned about a line with everyone buying photos and I needed to get off the ship to get my flight to which he answered "I told you to come back tomorrow."

Of course, there WAS a line. I had the good fortune to get the same jerk after waiting in line for 20 minutes (ship was well into de-boarding). I jokingly said "Hey! You said there wouldn't be a line!". He told me "There isn't a line". I'm like who are all these people lined up around deck 5 behind me then?

The thing that irritates me is there is NO reason - absolutely NONE for denying a passenger something which they rightfully paid for 2 days previously.

Even more interestingly - I don't usually complain to Disney or DCL. I have a few times and always gotten a response whether or not it helps or solves the problem, at the very least acknowledging they were passing the information on (and the few times I have, I usually received a personal phone call some time later from the department in question). I was so annoyed after this person that I wrote DCL about both the policy and the rudeness of the individual and never got any response from them AT ALL. It's like they don't even want to acknowledge the photography on the ships.

I was so annoyed after this person that I wrote DCL about both the policy and the rudeness of the individual and never got any response from them AT ALL. It's like they don't even want to acknowledge the photography on the ships.

I think DCL knows it s problem.. I'm not if they are stuck in contract or just don't care..
I called DCL three times hoping they could do something about the shutters staff blowing me off week after week about not being able to find my pictures.. And there no compansion for the lost pictures..
Was told by shutters staff "I got most of pictures and so there was no need to refund any part of my Purchase"

" there is nothing we can do, as it's a seprate company" - DCL CM..

The only compassion I got was from a photopass CM!
I called and explained I was making a photo book of our land and sea adventure, but DCL was still searching for my pictures.. They were nice enough to extend the expration date on my WDW photos for free..
He even said if they don't find them in that time he would extend it again at no charge.
They didn't have to do that AT ALL..it ment the world to me at that time..
And I made sure his surpervior knew that his staff was the only CMs to show Some kind of compassion!

Last edited:
My advice to anyone buying the CD..
check through out your cruise that all your pictures are being added.. I went every other night..
Then upon getting your CDs have your laptop waiting to check that cd in fact has all you pictures..
Than and only than sign the piece of the paper that says you accept the CD..

My problem hasn't been the quality of the photos as the rudeness of the staff and policies that make no sense. Last cruise we went on, I wanted 10 pictures on a USB. Or I would have taken physical if that was all I could get. BUT I didn't want to come back on the day of embarkation. I wanted to leave the ship as soon as the doors opened to catch my flight. The photos were there. I already paid. Would they let me take them? NO. And not even in a nice way. Guy practically bit my head off for asking. Then told me "you have to come back tomorrow at 7am". I mentioned I was concerned about a line with everyone buying photos and I needed to get off the ship to get my flight to which he answered "I told you to come back tomorrow."

Of course, there WAS a line. I had the good fortune to get the same jerk after waiting in line for 20 minutes (ship was well into de-boarding). I jokingly said "Hey! You said there wouldn't be a line!". He told me "There isn't a line". I'm like who are all these people lined up around deck 5 behind me then?

The thing that irritates me is there is NO reason - absolutely NONE for denying a passenger something which they rightfully paid for 2 days previously.

Even more interestingly - I don't usually complain to Disney or DCL. I have a few times and always gotten a response whether or not it helps or solves the problem, at the very least acknowledging they were passing the information on (and the few times I have, I usually received a personal phone call some time later from the department in question). I was so annoyed after this person that I wrote DCL about both the policy and the rudeness of the individual and never got any response from them AT ALL. It's like they don't even want to acknowledge the photography on the ships.

Same thing happened to me years ago at Sears. They wouldn't let me have the pictures I had already selected and PAID FOR until I pitched a big old hissy fit and demanded to see a manager. Needless to say, that was the last time we used Sears portrait studio, even though they always took excellent pictures.

If you get the CD... PLEASE PLEASE bring a way to check the cd before leaving the ship..
Last cruise got home to find 1/2 my pics. Missing..
Took 3 weeks to locate 1/4 more.. And they never found the other 1/4.. I paid $295 and only got 3/4 of my pics and I had a keep on Shutter CM for them to keep trying to locate the 1/4 the found.

Everything we buy on the DCL, this is becoming the hardest to swallow. Really hope they change something soon.

Not true.. Most of the photopass photographer are or were professionals..
And ALL have training on how to capture "the magic"

Moving on...
WDW has at least two areas with lights and back drops.
One in DTD and one on magic kingdom.
They are used for the BBB makeovers, however if they are not busy they are more then happy to take a few photos of your family.

Not the mention ALL the indoor character photo set ups..
Mickey, tinker bell, princess x5, (epcot) fab 5, pooh, ect. Ect.
They are ALL Set up simliar to a stuido with lighting and everything.. And the attention to detail in the backgrounds is stunning!

I can get all those photos and many many more for $150!
And the photopass photograhpers know how to capture those special moments of the little ones running to hug their Fav. Characters..
I don't want 75 pictures of my family standing like statues next to mickey, donald, goofy, jack.. ECt.
I want those pictures of them hugging mickey, high fiveing goofy, and laughing with jack sparrow.. That's what we pay all the $$$ for isn't?

I totally agree with this. We went to WDW in July and candid shots were some of my favorites! Anna hiding my 4 year old behind her skirt....TinkerBell spreading pixie dust. We have very few posed shots and they were amazing!!! The photopass photographers were AMAZING!!!! I'm questioning whether to do the unlimited digital now too for our Fantasy cruise in July.

I totally agree with this. We went to WDW in July and candid shots were some of my favorites! Anna hiding my 4 year old behind her skirt....TinkerBell spreading pixie dust. We have very few posed shots and they were amazing!!! The photopass photographers were AMAZING!!!! I'm questioning whether to do the unlimited digital now too for our Fantasy cruise in July.

I would pre order and if buy the 2nd to last night of your cruise your not happy ask for the full refund..
You always have the print options.. I believe if your getting 15+ photos ithe cd a better deal.
I like the ditital cause I can print as many as I want.. But like I said the price is getting harder and harder to swallow.

My advice to anyone buying the CD..
check through out your cruise that all your pictures are being added.. I went every other night..
Then upon getting your CDs have your laptop waiting to check that cd in fact has all you pictures..
Than and only than sign the piece of the paper that says you accept the CD..

The only problem with this is they won't give you the CD or USB stick until 10 minutes before you have to leave the ship. So you need your laptop out and ready. And if you find a problem, what then? You already paid, and the people on the ship will refuse to help you because they have to process several hundred people in an hour and can't reburn them anyway. So you don't really have much of a recourse there.

Not saying you shouldn't check them - just that I don't think it will resolve anything until they change the policy and let you TAKE WHAT YOU PAID FOR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter