• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much longer will Disney be using Shutters?

We all have to give DCL feed back on this so they can take care of the issue and change when the contract renewal time comes.
I did write them about this and many more issues that we encountered on our Alaskan cruise(not just pictures). One thing I did not understand was when you look at the pictures they advertise a 6x8 and 8x10 but when I ask to purchase the 6x8 they said they couldn't do that and it only came in the more expensive 8x10. It did no good to argue but I did ask him how dumb does he think people are, with todays technology they could sell me any size you can imagine.

We are going on our very first cruise ever next summer, (with Disney) and I was wondering about the photogs using your camera. At DisneyWorld they will sometimes do that. Anyone know about the ships???

No, the Shutter's photographers will not take pictures with your camera on the cruise. As Disney Fantasy said, especially during the character meets, a CM will be happy to use your camera to take a picture.

In addition, there are only so many photographers on the ship and with character meet & greets going one almost all day during sea days, they just don't have the time to go around and take candid pictures around the ship.
When departing Princess and HAL from Vancouver. Photos were taken at the sailaway party. I was shocked to find DCL/Shutters did not do this. Big missed opportunity.... they are forcing me to bring my DSLR!

Last cruise, which happened to be our 8th, we ended getting NO pictures. There were no pictures in our file and they told us that it was because we had no picture take before we boarded the ship and they had nothing to use facial recognition with. The previous cruise we didn't have the picture taken before boarding, but apparently they used the picture that goes with you KTTW card that shows up when you swipe it. Their loss. I didn't spend any money either.

Last cruise, which happened to be our 8th, we ended getting NO pictures. There were no pictures in our file and they told us that it was because we had no picture take before we boarded the ship and they had nothing to use facial recognition with. The previous cruise we didn't have the picture taken before boarding, but apparently they used the picture that goes with you KTTW card that shows up when you swipe it. Their loss. I didn't spend any money either.
I think the Shutters person was making that up. We've not stopped for the boarding picture for our last 5 or six cruises, and they've always been able to figure out what photos are ours. Not that we buy that many.

Other lines are far worse and most do not have characters so the staff dress up ( badly). Prices are the same. I know there is a contract but seems on a rolling renewal.

Yes, I definitely second this! Princess has a 'shark' that is out on the Alaska cruises and some type of large moose costume man....I have to say they were very bad, it makes to smile to think about them :)

Wondering if anyone has heard any news?

Really wish disney would get rid of shutters.. And replace it with there own photopass photographers..
Not to mention the proce of the CDs would be a hell of a lot cheaper!

WDW $150 VS. DCL $300

Disney has focus a lot on there memory maker option at WDW.. And into there photo pass website..
They could Easly add DCL to it..

I just don't understand why they have not done so already?????

Wondering if anyone has heard any news?

Really wish disney would get rid of shutters.. And replace it with there own photopass photographers..
Not to mention the proce of the CDs would be a hell of a lot cheaper!

WDW $150 VS. DCL $300

Disney has focus a lot on there memory maker option at WDW.. And into there photo pass website..
They could Easly add DCL to it..

I just don't understand why they have not done so already?????

Except that I'm not sure how long that will stay at WDW either. They've taken the Memory Maker Option away at Disneyland and you can only buy 1 day photo passes. I know it is a different kind of clientele there (ie more locals vs long-stay tourists), however that's a fairly radical change. We will be there for 5 days, and now I have to figure out how to get all the photos I want over 2 days, else it's going to cost me over $200.

I'm wondering if this is something they're trialling for rollout to WDW too.

Just returned from a cruise on the Disney Magic this past Thursday. The Shutters photographer came around twice during dinner -- day two and three.

We've had the opposite experience on the Dream. Any deck activity we've been to there's always a roaming photographer up there taking pictures (sail away party, pirate party) and at Dinner. On our last cruise I even witnessed someone grab a photographer and they took a picture of them on the staircase when it wasn't "official staircase picture time."

While I do agree that they don't take the random pictures as you're walking up to a character like WDW does I have seen them do it occasionally.

Maybe I'm alone but I've been pleased with our purchases. Bought the digital prints on our first one and bought the digital and prints on our last (based on the number of pictures we had it was cheaper to buy the prints via the package than me come home and print them all).

We have never purchased any photos on dcl. Same experience as everyone mentioned. We've only seen roaming photographers in the MDR s and then very very rarely. We never have any decent pictures in our folder. Sometimes no pictures. And last cruise only one of us and three of some other family. Very disappointed because there were some we wanted to buy but they never showed up.

I think the Shutters person was making that up. We've not stopped for the boarding picture for our last 5 or six cruises, and they've always been able to figure out what photos are ours. Not that we buy that many.

I think they're referring to the pic that's tied to your KTTW card (and comes up on their screen whenever they scan it), not the boarding picture you buy from Shutters.

I think they're referring to the pic that's tied to your KTTW card (and comes up on their screen whenever they scan it), not the boarding picture you buy from Shutters.
Disneyholic said "they told us that it was because we had no picture take before we boarded the ship and they had nothing to use facial recognition with." I believe that was in reference to the photo that the Shutters photographers take when you are boarding, not the one at check-in.

We have been on 3 cruises and not had any issues with Shutters. We always buy a package around 180 dollars and pick the pictures we want. The Dream has a far better set up than the Magic or Wonder and we could set the pictures we wanted in order in the album but for the Magic and Wonder we picked them as we went along and they would keep track of the purchases on the card. We even traded a few pictures for others and there was no issues. We have also seen the same photographers last year on the Wonder as we had seen the previous year on the Dream. I'd say we have never had any issues with Shutters, the service or the photographers. They will take the pictures and let us take our own and a couple times the CM's would ask if we all wanted in the picture. Looking forward to our next cruise and we will be buying another photo package

The Dream has a far better set up than the Magic or Wonder and we could set the pictures we wanted in order in the album but for the Magic and Wonder we picked them as we went along and they would keep track of the purchases on the card.

All ships have the folder/album system now. The Magic and the Wonder got them on recent dry docks. So no big boards with lots of pictures anymore.

Wow. DH and I were debating on whether to pre pay for the photo CD onboard. We LOVE Photopass, so we figure why not? But, I am definitely having second thoughts now. Is it possible just to buy individual photos taken on board if you wish?

On our most recent Disney cruise, January 2016, there were ZERO photos in my cruise album. Facial recognition failed seriously. We had photos taken at checkin and at boarding. You are able to scan through unidentified photos to find yours, but there are literally hundreds to scan and it was very frustrating. I ended up with zero photos. Also, the photographers came around to our dining room 2 times during a 7 night cruise. In the past, we had photos taken every night at dinner.

On our most recent Disney cruise, January 2016, there were ZERO photos in my cruise album. Facial recognition failed seriously. We had photos taken at checkin and at boarding. You are able to scan through unidentified photos to find yours, but there are literally hundreds to scan and it was very frustrating. I ended up with zero photos. Also, the photographers came around to our dining room 2 times during a 7 night cruise. In the past, we had photos taken every night at dinner.

I recommend that you look on the "lost and found photo" websites and all other cruise websites for fellow travelers of your sail date. A year ago my cruise group were able to recover nearly 20 photos, from several different families.
I must honor the parameters of this board so I cannot post those links for you here. But in the interest of restoring your precious family memories, I'd be happy to PM you my email address and help you find those sites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter