• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much does it cost to get and own a cat?

Too bad you don't live near me, I have 5 kittens that we need to find homes for. We were able to find a home for one of our 6.

I agree with the previous posts - spay/neuter, shots and a basic checkup around $300 min. Don't forget to think about a flea treatment and possibly a de-worming treatment.

Do try and adopt from a shelter. I know kittens are the sweetest things and so many people want to adopt them, but maybe consider a little older cat. There are some that are really sweet and they are always the ones that get passed by. :cat:

We have one that we got from someone who was giving away free kittens and the rest of our family are all rescues. Some we started out as foster parents for and decided they were family. Others showed up at our house and adopted us. Our kittens were an accident (that won't happen again! ;))

We feed ours a good brand to keep them healthy, but sometimes there are other things that come up. Our mama who had kittens ended up with acute septic mastitis and almost died. 8 days, a hysterectomy and over $600 later, we got her back home. :thumbsup2

Once you get one, they put their mark paw: on your heart!:lovestruc

If you feed all dry, budget about $7500 for some serious operations when your pet develops UT Blockage. An all dry diet is NOT good for a cat -- not enough moisture nor protein.

Never happened with any of our cats ever, including the 16-year-old who just keeps humming along. And not to sound cruel, but for $7,500 we'd just be getting another cat.

Too bad OP isn't closer - we have a cat we need to get out of our house (sweet cat, but DD7 has terrible allergies) :(

If you feed all dry, budget about $7500 for some serious operations when your pet develops UT Blockage. An all dry diet is NOT good for a cat -- not enough moisture nor protein.

OP, you don't need to count on this, plenty of cats eat nothing but dry food and live long healthy lives.
Can this happen, sure, but its not really a matter of when, just a matter of if.

Our shelter Kitty cost $60. She was actually free, that was our donation. Aside from the food, litter and occasional vet check ups, she hasn't cost us anything more than usual. Neither has the 12 year old cat we own.

However much you pay for a kitty you get back in love and affection :lovestruc

I miss our cat so much. She was the most beautiful, affectionate cat ever but died of kidney failure 5 years ago :sad: Her brother died a few years before so I guess they had problems :(

I just wanted to add my experience with the 4 cats we've rescued in the past couple of years. We adopted from a variety of shelter situations-- Animal Care and Control, a small no-kill shelter/association, a stray off the street, and a guy who was about to give his cat up to Animal Care and Control when he was moving.

The first thing I will say is that I would never discourage ANYONE from adopting a rescue cat or kitten from ANY source, but there are advantages and disadvantages to each. When you adopt from a no-kill shelter or association (do a quick Google search to see what's in your area) they typically are willing to take their cats back if for some reason you can't keep him or her in the future. I'm not saying that you SHOULD fall back on this, but for a first time owner there is the added comfort that someone is typically vetting you, vetting the cat and making sure it's at least basically healthy, helping you make a match, and, if the match doesn't work for some reason, the cat has a safe, no-kill environment to go back to. I'm not saying you should ever RELY on this (please don't flame me), but for people who are unsure of what animal ownership REALLY entails, I'd feel most comfortable knowing I had a place to call if I had problems and needed help and advice, and this organization has COMMITTED to that animal for its life. When we've called resources about the other cats we have rescued, we've gotten a cold shoulder because there are just too many cats out their for agencies to help if they aren't their cats. I think the fact that your cat was one of theirs would be very helpful to you in getting the advice you might need from people who know.

If you're not sure that you want a pet and are uncomfortable with the prospective costs, have you considered volunteering as a foster family with a local no-kill shelter? You'd need to be available if people want to see the animal for adoption, but it could be a good way of seeing what it's like to have an animal in the home, and it's good karma. If the cat is a good match for your household, most places are comfortable with "failed fosters", or foster families who go on to adopt the animal they are fostering. They also typically cover vet costs for that foster animal if something happens while they're with you.

In terms of the actual costs of an adopted cat, they can get unexpectedly ill or injured just like any other animal or person. We've had varied experiences with vet offices before we found one that was really willing to be honest with us about balancing what the animal REALLY needed and not just piling fees up. If an office doesn't help you determine costs up front or is nasty when you ask how much procedures cost, keep looking for a new vet. We have been in and out A LOT for a variety of illnesses and routine procedures, and I won't say it's been cheap. But this is because 3 out of the 4 were not very healthy when we got them, and we had no one to ask for help since we didn't adopt them from a no kill agency.

Just because your neighbor has a very healthy cat who never needed vet care doesn't mean your cat will be as lucky, even if you feed them the exact same food and give them the same care. Accidents are less common for indoor cats. Ask your vet for advice on how to keep your cat healthy. Keeping their weight in check by watching what they eat and keeping them well hydrated by feeding even some wet food each day can go a long way towards making sure they're healthy for the length of their life. They'll need routine dental cleanings, too.

Honestly, adopting our cats has been the best thing we've ever done. They add so much joy to our lives, but we had a lot of people minimize the amount of care they demanded. I think some cats (older ones, especially) are very relaxed and easy going, but some require a lot of attention and care. It is a big responsibility but they make it all so worthwhile!!!!

Best of luck to anyone considering adopting a cat!!!

OH and one more thing I wish people had told us before adopting-- for some reason, male cats seem, by and large, to be much friendlier than female cats. There are exceptions to EVERY rule, of course, and this is a HUGE TREMENDOUS generalization, but all 3 of our female cats are MUCH moodier and more temperamental than our male cat. Since we're just a sample of four, I didn't think anything of it, but when we mention this to other cat owners, most have laughed and agreed with us that their male cats were their cuddle-bugs, while their female cats are more independent. (And often that's putting it nicely. I think they act like teenagers.) Just a little note that might be worth considering. I don't know WHAT we'd think about cats if we didn't have Panther to keep us sane after his sisters are done wailing on each other and whining about how tough they have it. :rotfl2:

That having been said, urinary infections are much more critical for male cats than female cats, so be sure that they're properly hydrated and pay attention for any litter box issues that might suggest infection.

We signed up on the website Adoptapet.com over a year ago but we are looking for a puppy, I'm sure they also have kittens. We are getting our puppy on Saturday :cheer2: mary

The idea that cats end up in shelters or rescues "for a reason" is like suggesting kids are up for adoption because there's something wrong with them. People have kids they can't take care of, they're even less responsible with their animals.

Agreeing with this.

Some animals are in rescue shelters because some people do not value the lives of other beings. That does not reflect on the animal, it reflects on the person.

That being said, this title made me laugh (no offense, OP). You could probably find a free kitten on Craigslist, but I recommend supporting a local shelter or ASPCA. As for care and upkeep, I spent about $40 a month for litter and food for Fergie (probably $60 when Diana was alive). And an annual vet visit for yearly maintenance at about $125 each. However, the return on my investment was priceless!

Your mileage may vary.

That is not a definite. Many, many, thousands of cats eat nothing but dry and do fine. Including mine and my sisters and neighbors and SIL's.

I have never had the vet say you have to feed canned! it is up to the owner what they want and can afford to feed.

All of my cats have gotten only dry - save for the occasional tuna fish - and they have all live long, happy lives. :) That's 7 or so cats...

OH and one more thing I wish people had told us before adopting-- for some reason, male cats seem, by and large, to be much friendlier than female cats. There are exceptions to EVERY rule, of course, and this is a HUGE TREMENDOUS generalization, but all 3 of our female cats are MUCH moodier and more temperamental than our male cat. Since we're just a sample of four, I didn't think anything of it, but when we mention this to other cat owners, most have laughed and agreed with us that their male cats were their cuddle-bugs, while their female cats are more independent. (And often that's putting it nicely. I think they act like teenagers.) Just a little note that might be worth considering. I don't know WHAT we'd think about cats if we didn't have Panther to keep us sane after his sisters are done wailing on each other and whining about how tough they have it. :rotfl2:

That having been said, urinary infections are much more critical for male cats than female cats, so be sure that they're properly hydrated and pay attention for any litter box issues that might suggest infection.

This has been my experience, too. All but 1 of my cats has been male. The female cat was a WITCH!!! Ooh she was nasty.

Our 17 yr old kitty just passed this Summer and I was asking myself the same questions. How do we get a kitten? The HS around here is very expensive and they make you fill out paper work to make sure you are a good adoptee. I just happened to look on craigslist and saw the cutest orange tiger kitten that was 15 weeks old, was nearby, would cost me $60, had had some shots and needed to be rehomed. The young girl was so happy I got intouch with her. Their dog and the new kitten were not getting along and she felt horrible about it. I will need to pay for the little guy to be fixed in about a month or so plus yearly check ups. The food they had been feeding him is very expensive but to change it would mean going through the process of giving him the stuff he is use to and then adding some of the new stuff until he is totally eating the new. Not interested in doing that right now. So we feed him the expensive stuff for now. A small 2lb bag of Wellness Kitten food costs me $14 and a small can of moist is $1.29. :sad: Never thought I'd pay that much for cat food.

I agree about female vs male cats. Most of the male cats I had growing up were so friendly but most of the females were not.

In my experience, kittens come free. The last two I got were found when (1) we randomly stopped by the pet store to get food for our other pet (note: lots of pets stores host adoption days) and (2) through an email string from my DH's secretary's cousin. I've never had to go to a shelter or look on petfinder because people are ALWAYS looking to give away cats. Also, you can call any local vets and they'll likely be in the know about who unexpectedly had kittens recently.

That doesn't mean that they stay free. The first thing you have to figure in are shots, basic check-ups, deworming (if they were on the streets at all), and spay/neuter. Then regular vet-checks every year. Food can generally be pretty inexpensive, unless you want to go the whole organic specialty feed route or if your cat needs a special diet. Then of course, emergencies can always happen. We could travel to Europe several times on the money we ended up dropping on the vet bills for one of those "free" cats.

You know, I used to agree with the poster who said male cats are more friendly than female, but our last two have been girls and they've been extremely friendly.

Whether you go with a "Rescue cat" (and I am certain you have some type of humane society in your area -- we have probably 20 rescue places for various types of animals in our medium-sized city) or whether you get a free kitten from an aquaintance, expect to pay $100-150 for first-month-or-so of cat ownership.

Advice on whether to get a kitten or an adult cat will vary widely. Personally, I prefer kittens because they're adorable and because I like to train my animals myself, and I like seeing them develop. Other people will tell you that an adult cat is more of a "sure thing" because you'll be able to see whether he's wild, skittish, calm, or whatever -- and you can choose what appeals to you. Also, if you want a declawed cat but don't want the guilt associated with it, you can choose a cat that's already been declawed. Declawed cats do end up in shelters, though you might not find one the first time you visit. And adult cats are harder to place, so you can feel that you've done a greater service by taking a hard-to-place animal.

Before you get the kitten, you'll need:

- a litter box (go full-sized, kittens grow fast). You can even make a homemade one from a plastic tub. Choose a model with high sides so the cat won't kick out the litter; if your kitten is very small, you might need to build him some steps (out of books or toys) to help him get in/out initially. Be prepared to keep it scrupulously clean -- cats will refuse to use a dirty litterbox.
- siftable litter and a scooper. Siftable is much cheaper in the long run, and you bring home fewer heavy containers.
- a soft bed of some type. This could be as simple as a fancied-up cardboard box with an old towel or blanket inside, but cats love to have a quiet, dark hidey-hole for their naps.
- food. Having grown up on a farm, I have had upwards of 50 cats in my life, and I haven't encountered a picky eater yet. Do choose a food with good nutritional value and stick to the same brand.
- containers for food and water -- go medium-sized, or you'll just end up replacing them as the kitten grows. Choose something with a heavy base so that the cat can't push it around too much. A cat fountain is best and encourages cats to drink more water, but they are pricey.
- cat scratch post (or similar) and nail clippers. Unless your cat is declawed. Also get some catnip to rub on the scratching post -- it'll make it super-easy to train the cat to use it.
- grooming brush. If you get a kitten, use this for short periods of time 'til the kitten comes to see brushing as a fun, calm activity for the two of you to share. If you choose an adult, it wouldn't be a bad idea to brush it while you're at the Rescue and see if the cat allows it /enjoys it -- it's hard to retrain an adult cat.

In addition, you might consider:

- a window perch. Cats love to sit in the sun and look out at cars and passers-by.
- toys. The best is a stick + string + feathers or some other something to chase. You can even make cat toys from strips of old, cut-up tee-shirts. Unexpected things (like a plastic Easter egg, or a paper grocery bag) may become favorites.
- a climbing toy. Cats love to climb, and the best climbers give the animal a place to lie down "up high" and look down upon its minions. You can even build shelves right into your walls so that the cat can "jump up" to a high perch over a doorway.

Medical needs:

- personally, I'd only agree to take a new kitten on the condition that it gets a clean bill of health from the vet. I'd make sure that if it turned out to have an expensive medical issue in the beginning, I could bring it back to the original owner. Not many cats are sickly, but I just wouldn't be willing to spend-spend-spend on a cat to which I'm not already attached. If it gets sick later in life, that's a different thing. Pick one that's lively and has bright, clear eyes, and pick one that's got enough meat on its bones to cover the ribs but not so much that it's fat. Fleas aren't the end of the world -- you can get rid of them; just do it immediately.
- it's not a bad idea to give the cat a deworming treatment (buy at Walmart or similar for $10 or so) just to be sure.
- if you get a cat from a shelter, it will have visited the vet for shots and will probably already be spayed or neutered (or they may make you an appointment for the spay/neuter. You'll find that shelters are VERY PUSHY about spaying/neutering, and when you look at how many kittens one cat cat produce in a year, it only makes sense.
- if you get a cat from a friend, you will need to do these things yourself.
- after those initial medical needs, you'll need a yearly follow up for a check-up and follow-up shots.

One general thought: I like cats to be either indoor pets or outdoor pets -- not both. If they come and go, they bring fleas into the house.

One idea before you allow your daughter to adopt a kitten of her own: I'd seek out a Rescue and have her volunteer for X number of hours. Let her see that cats are really a great deal of fun, but they do require care. It'll also let her learn how to scoop litter and feed kitties -- before she begins doing it at home.

Cats do cost less than dogs (both initially and they're less expensive to maintain), and I think they're easier in that they can be left at home alone for a weekend.

One idea before you allow your daughter to adopt a kitten of her own: I'd seek out a Rescue and have her volunteer for X number of hours. Let her see that cats are really a great deal of fun, but they do require care. It'll also let her learn how to scoop litter and feed kitties -- before she begins doing it at home.

I LOVE this idea, provided you can find a shelter that allows someone to volunteer under the age of 16 or 18. (Many will, but some might not for insurance reasons.)

Cats do cost less than dogs (both initially and they're less expensive to maintain), and I think they're easier in that they can be left at home alone for a weekend.

This reminds me of another big difficulty with owning cats, though-- every time you travel past an overnight (because you can't really go much past a short weekend without having someone come in at the very least to change their water and make sure everyone is safe), you HAVE to figure out someone coming in to visit and take care of them each and every time you go away. With dogs, you can often bring them with you if you're going to be a house guest (e.g. to your parents or sister's or what not). Unfortunately, cats (generally) travel horribly.

Also, every time we go on vacation we have to clean at the same time that we're packing because someone will be in our house while we're gone!! I know it sounds minor, but geez, doing all that extra cleaning while we're also packing and planning our trip can be exhausting!!! I tell everyone that's the worst unexpected thing about owning cats, all that extra stress associated with vacations! (Then again, when we're gone for more than 3 or 4 days we try to have someone live-in because our cats are so energetic and needy, so we're doing some deep cleaning at that point.... probably not a typical experience!)

Wow, I never realized how much I really enjoy talking about cat ownership. Sorry I've talked up an earful, y'all! That's just a testament to how much we all love them, right? :rolleyes1

We are looking into getting a kitten also. We adopted our older cat from the SPCA, and it has been a wonderful experience. I kind of feel like I missed out on her "babyhood" though (crazy, isn't it?) and I want a kitten. Just for the heck of it, I looked up cat breeders. Well, it was a surprise! I was looking at doll-faced persian kittens. They are as cute as can be. They are also $2500. Then they cost $350 to ship! Yes, you can ship a cat!! :scared1:

No thanks! Our next kitty will be an SPCA rescue too.

I realize most cats are cheaper, but keep this in mind--if you get a rescue cat, why is it there? I'm pretty sure my cat was there because she has issues. She was even bald when I got her. I thought it was because her previous owners didn't brush her, but now I realize they may have tried to give her medicine and "missed" enough to have matting from the medicine on her fur. It took me over a week to figure out I could put it in her food since I only feed her canned.

Please don't listen to this. It would be fair to say that nearly all cats are in the shelter because of irresponsible people, not because there is anything wrong with them.
My DH and I have had 7 cats in the 23 years we have been together. The last one came to us because her owners decided they wanted to travel overseas and had to put the cat down so they could go. She is an absolutely gorgeous cat and has not been any trouble at all.
Another was bought into the vet clinic I was working in. The husband decided he didn't want it anymore because he didn't like cats and just wanted to get rid of it. She was to be put to sleep aswell. No reason at all. She ended up with us for 20years. A perfectly healthy cat with no issues.
Another turned up at the clinic with 4 kittens. Again to be put to sleep for no reason other than not wanted. She ended up living with us for 18 years. Homes were found for the kittens.
Another was literally thrown across the pet shop we were visiting by a man because his girlfriend had bought him that day and he didn't want it. We had him for 13 years until he died of cancer.
One turned up on the doorstep and just walked in the door. We had known where she came from but she used to turn up starving constantly. The owners eventually moved away and just left her. She stayed with us for 20years.
The last 2 came to us from the same home because one of the children in the family had an allergy. They were headed to the shelter before we took them. Again not because there was anything wrong with them. We still have the female. She is nearly 5 now. Unfortunately the male (my baby) died while we were away at WDW in the care of a housesitter.
These are just a small example. My cats only. I'm sure many people here on the boards have similar stories. There would be thousands and thousands of cats in the shelters, all with similar types of stories.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I love all the posts and thanks for all the information. I have looked into the HS and the only one available is in another town over. Having my granddaughter volunteer there wouldn't work and it seems they won't allow it anyway. The cost for a kitten when they have them is $200.00.
I also talked to a local vet today and she told me to go to a local pet store. It seems that pet stores here are not allowed to sell animal anymore because of puppy mills. However, they have adoptions available that come from another HS that they are associated with. They are $160.00 for a kitten and there is an adoption going on next weekend and they have some kittens available. They are 4 months old and have been taken care of. They have their shots, chip, dewormed ect. My granddaughter and I also looked at the amount it will take to buy the stuff that is needed to bring it home. She has some thinking to do.
I love the pictures and so did my granddaughter.
tigercat

Great idea, tigercat! Just an FYI, those agencies that exhibit at pet stores are often looking for volunteers/foster homes, too!

My cat ate a dry diet her whole life. She lived to be 18 and never had any major health problems.

Usually somebody will give you a kitten.

As far as cost goes, you will need a setup like a litter box, toys, and food. Eventually you will need to get her or him fixed. They will need their shots and stuff too.

I use the Tidy Cats stuff, that is about $8 for a 2 week supply (the way I use it anyway) and food. Mine has a sensitive tummy so I feed her some stuff that is about $20 a bag, but that stuff seriously lasts a long time.

I guess cats do cost some money to maintain, but worth EVERY penny.

By the way, my cat is 9 and she has only eaten dry food... *knock on wood* she hasn't had to have any operations. After hearing this I am considering trying her out on some canned food instead of dry. Her main problem is that she gobbles stuff down too fast then gets sick. The thought of cleaning up "recycled" canned/wet food is pretty unappealing but I am willing to give it a shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter