How much does food cost on a Disney Cruise?

Warning: The people that tend to reply to a question like yours are the ones that tip higher than average so you get a biased response.

Disney Cruise Line makes it clear that the tip is included in the $15 per person charge to dine at Palo.

I guess we missed the memo... but don't care! 3 of 4 cruises we've enjoyed Sasha's exemplary service at Palo (and the 1st cruise he was our regular server.) He sets a tone to slow down and simply enjoy a lovely evening. We wish we had the privilage of tipping him more often. :cloud9:

Love this idea... the Magic Bullet... never thought of it!!! :banana:

If everyone on this thread were on the same cruise we could have quite the bash... we are one of the families that gets snickers from the port officials scanning the carryons- Last time DH had 2 cases on beer in his bag, plus the rum. :rolleyes1

Does the beer need to be in a cooler or can it just go through the scanner in its case???

As far as wine...I find it easier to just bring "boxes" along. There are some great wines that come this way now and you don't have to worry about them breaking!!

Does the beer need to be in a cooler or can it just go through the scanner in its case???

As far as wine...I find it easier to just bring "boxes" along. There are some great wines that come this way now and you don't have to worry about them breaking!!

Your beer, wine, soda, water, or other beverages can be in any sort of suitcase or soft sided cooler you'd like. The only requirement is that they be in a carry on, not in checked luggage. Yes, it can go thru the scanner in the case, but then you'll be carrying it till 1:30 (rolling is easier!)

Any alcohol that is carried on MUST be in a bag of some sort (including a trash bag), you can not carry it out in the open thru the terminal or thru security. In other words, alcohol MUST be covered.

If carrying on sodas you can carry those in their case and they need not be covered.

ALL liquids must be carried on by DCL guidelines.

I always bring a bottle of Rum with me and then ask for a glass and limes at the bar. That way I don't have to worry about cleaning out the glass each time I want a drink!

Last time we cruised Disney our children never came to the dining room with us. We fed them and took them to kids club so we could enjoy dinner to ourselves. At the end we were told we would still need to tip the full amount for them. Is this what others do? We are booked on the baltic cruise 2010, and 12 nights adds up!

Last time we cruised Disney our children never came to the dining room with us. We fed them and took them to kids club so we could enjoy dinner to ourselves. At the end we were told we would still need to tip the full amount for them. Is this what others do? We are booked on the baltic cruise 2010, and 12 nights adds up!

Yes, you should still tip the full amount for your kids. Your tips actually cover all of your meals on the ship. The servers usually work all three meals each day, not just dinner. Rather than tip at every breakfast, lunch and dinner you just tip your serving team once at the end of your cruise. It makes things a but easier yet still ensures that all of the servers are taken care of.

The tip you give on the last night represents all of the service you received during the cruise, not just at the dinners. Someone served you (and the kids) at breakfast and lunch...whether you ate at Goofy's or Lumiere's. Someone served the kids at dinner (unless you fed them in port). The same servers who wait tables at dinner work in Goofy's, Pluto's, etc. at other times. It is not customary to tip at all those other times....only at the dinner on the last night.

Yes, it is customary to tip for all guests in your party for a couple reasons. They ate somewhere at some time, so someone served them. Secondly, they took a spot at your server's table whether they sat there at dinner or not; it wasn't your server's decision that they not be sitting there. The tip represents his/her income for the cruise.

Yes, the $12 per guest per day (total suggested tip) adds up. $144 per day per person on a 12 day cruise is not a "nothing" expense. However, the Baltic cruises currently start at over $7000 for a family of 2 in a cat 12 and almost $10K for a family of 4 in the lowest available cabin. Then you add air, excursions, etc. As a percentage of your total expenses, the tip is not really much. Perhaps money could be saved in other areas of the trip if tipping the suggested amount represents a hardship. Since I've never been on a Baltic cruise, I can't give specific suggestions. However on a 7 night cruise I can do things like rent a car rather than using DCL transfers, bring my own wine/beer/bottled water/whatever rather than purchasing on board, maybe choose to not do an excursion in a port or not schedule a spa treatment, etc. We each know what makes the cruise special to us and what we would be willing to do without. Save money on those things that won't cause your enjoyment to markedly decrease.

I'm probably being picky, but I've never been told how much I "need" to tip. I've received a form showing what the suggested tip is, but have always been free to adjust up or down as I felt appropriate.

Thanks for the replies. I am Australian where we only tip for good service, so I find it difficult to be told how much to tip regardless of service! I thought the tips only went to the restaurant servers, so the buffet people, plutos etc woldn't get any of that money?

I guess it is just a cultural thing. I would prefer to tip for good service rather than HAVE to tip regardless of attendance. Surely it makes more sense for these people to be paid fair wages to start with? OK, don't get me started.

Thanks for the replies. I am Australian where we only tip for good service, so I find it difficult to be told how much to tip regardless of service!

Fair enough. Be prepared to be blown away with outstanding service...not only at dinner, but at breakfast, lunch, and buffets.

Surely it makes more sense for these people to be paid fair wages to start with? OK, don't get me started.

A great debate topic, but unfortunately Disney (and other cruise lines) make their fares seem artificially low since they don't pay their servers a living wage and depend on you to do so. In deciding if you can afford a cruise, it is appropriate to add in the suggested tips (which truly are suggested, you get to adjust them as you wish) to compute your real cost.

I think what they are saying is.....The servers you have for dinner dont just do dinner service.

All the workers on the cruise do MANY things.

So your server at dinner may be in Topsiders at Lunch wiping tables or filling food.
While my server at dinner may be at Goofys Galley serving pizza for lunch.

The workers usually work 12 + hours a day and obviosuly dinner service isnt that long.

No flames please....Just an obvious statement....
These workers did know what they were goign to be paid when they came to work for Disney.....Yes of course they get tips and i am sure these tips helpthem out greatly.....MY EMPLOYEES at my work get tips, BUT i always tell my employees that this is your wage.....and you will also get tips,DO NOT count on tips,to pay bills ,or eat or get gas, Some weeks you will get good tips some weeks you wont that is just the way it is.

I do understand that these people work very hard and make us very happy but true is true.

I tip well for Good service....I tip really well for awesome service.

I'm browsing a Disney Cruise through http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/onboard-activities/dining/search/ and cannot find any pricing on food (breakfast, lunch, supper).

How much does food cost?

THANKS

I apologize i thik we have gotten far away from your question.

SOOO....

There isnt much food wise you have to pay for.

You can opt for several things that do cost....
But you canmake through a whole cruise and pay nothing for food if that is what you opt to do.

To the OP question of how much does food cost on a cruise? A lot!! But you pay for it up front as part of the cruise. I know I'm stating the obvious but I think it's funny how we think of the food as "free" after we paid several thousand dollars for it when we booked the cruise.

OK, carry on with the highjack in progress. :-)

~Mike

I have checked a case of water. The last time the luggage handler said I should put our luggage tape around the open ends or the bottles tend to fall out. This next time I will be bringing packing tape.

I did hear once of someone checking a case of beer. The case did show up at their room. I think this was for the last Pannama Cannal passing on a trip report where I read this. That said we only bring a six pack and one bottle of wine and one bottle of liq. and we carry them on (but check the water). I enjoy buying some of the drinks on board, I just don't make them like they do. :rotfl:

I have checked a case of water. The last time the luggage handler said I should put our luggage tape around the open ends or the bottles tend to fall out. This next time I will be bringing packing tape.

I did hear once of someone checking a case of beer. The case did show up at their room. I think this was for the last Pannama Cannal passing on a trip report where I read this. That said we only bring a six pack and one bottle of wine and one bottle of liq. and we carry them on (but check the water). I enjoy buying some of the drinks on board, I just don't make them like they do. :rotfl:

You actually checked the water with your luggage and did not have to bring it in coolers etc??

Magic Bullet works great onboard...just remember to bring large strofoam cups from home :)

You may or may not be able to check water/soda with your luggage. We have done this a few times, but on one cruise porter refused to allow us to check case of bottle water and I had to carry it with me thru boarding process :confused:

You actually checked the water with your luggage and did not have to bring it in coolers etc??

People do it but Disney specifically asks that liquids & fragile items be carried on due to chances of it leaking onto other people stuff. Per DCL website:

"Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $15.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage"
it would be a shame if they stopped allowing this like the other cruiselines have. It's a fairly small request considering any other cruise line wouldn't even allow it at all.

To the OP question of how much does food cost on a cruise? A lot!! But you pay for it up front as part of the cruise. I know I'm stating the obvious but I think it's funny how we think of the food as "free" after we paid several thousand dollars for it when we booked the cruise.

OK, carry on with the highjack in progress. :-)

~Mike

:rotfl2::rotfl2:
That is sooo true.....
But i dont think it is what he meant........

OR IS IT????

A true breakdown of monies would be interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter