How long did your kid's LL Bean backpack last?

I have a leather bottomed backpack that was mine in college. My kids now pack for camping in it - it's over 20 years old. My son's Bean backpack is 3 or 4 years old and my daughter's is at least 4. His is in great shape other than some stains, she managed to get the zipper stuck on the placket -- thankfully down by the end so we just pinned that zipper down and she used the other one to get through the rest of the year. I'm going to take her's back to our local store and see if they'll give me money toward another style - she now carries an ipad as an AAC device so I'd like to get her one with the padded ipad compartment. He's asking for a new one because he's bored with his old one, if I get him a new one the old one will be used for sleepovers, camp, going to grandmas, carryon luggage, etc

I ordered DD her first LL Bean backpack a few days ago. If it survives more than one year with her, I'll be impressed. She is terribly hard on bags.

Going on eight years. Still looks great. I also suggest calling LLbean. They do have a very generous replacement policy. One of my favorite places to shop, they offer good quality and good service.

I bought my son's when he was in 5th grade from ll bean after school started and they had a sale for $12!! It's still going strong, he's going to be a freshman in high school. Looks brand new too! This is a kid that ruins EVERYTHING. But not that back pack it lasts and lasts and lasts!!

My mom bought me mine in grade three. I used it right through university. No joke. For a few years I used a different one bc I wanted "a more stylish side bag", but the backpack then got used as a sports bag/carry on , etc. I'm not joking when I say I got about 15 years out of it, a good solid 8 of those as my main school bag.

I got theirs 2 years ago. At the end of last year I noticed 2 small holes in the bottom of my 10 year old's backpack, which is odd because he doesn't drag it around or anything. I just sent it in last month for a replacement. My younger son's bag is in perfect condition except for the stains (who knows what????) he managed to get on it. I sent his through the washing machine. Still looks as good as new. Definitely worth it for me to not have to replace a disintigrating backpack every year.

DS8 has 2 LL Bean backpacks. They are still "young" but look brand new. This year he wanted an UnderArmour backpack since he's all about bright colors and UnderArmour else he would be getting another LL Bean. We prefer a new look every year despite their condition.

I got youngest DS a LL Bean backpack (not the standard book pack rather a day pack) when he was in second grade and it made it most of the way through this school year (we had three weeks to go:headache:). So basically it last 4 years. The pack itself was in great shape - it didn't show any wear - at all - but one of the clips that holds the strap on broke. We took it to the store to see if they could replace the clip but they don't make his pack anymore (ETA and the clips were unique to the pack so they didn't have spares) so we ended up getting a new one. It's definitely not a free pack for life thing because they only gave us $50 for the pack and the same size/style pack is $80. So it cost me $30 for his new pack BUT that's cheap if it gets him through 4 or 5 years of school. I'm hoping this pack lasts him through the end of high school. Oldest DS had a Wenger pack (it cost over $100 :crazy2:) and it lasted 5 years for him and then through freshman year for middle DS, but two of the zippers went so after 6 years we had to replace it. Middle DS got a LL Bean pack to replace the wenger because shockingly LL Bean with their lifetime warranty was actually cheaper than the Wenger with a 1 year warranty.

ETA - if you have a problem with clips etc breaking Mountainsmith is another great company to get packs from. DS called them to find out the cost of having a new clip mailed to us and they sent it for free. The pack was 5 years old.

I hear ya about replacing every year. That's why I finally did the research and bought the LL Bean backpacks vs the Target, Walmart, or ****'s Sporting Goods ones. I read reviews on line from parents saying their kids' backpacks lasted all though their schooling years - like 10 years! I'm just trying to determine what the average "real" life span of an LL Bean backpack is.

I can't help you with the question - I just bought DD (who is going into grade 2) her first LL Bean backpack so I'm interested to see what others say. But I have to agree with you, I splurged and bought one because the ones you get from Walmart, etc are total crap. In two years of school she's gone through 4 cheaper backpacks!

Oldest DD had two that after several years she passed on to my niece. As far as I know the second one is still going strong. (the first was a junior so was passed on again) So close to ten years with it and at least eight with the other though I don't know its final fate.

My youngest two have had two each. I bought them the juniors when they were around 18mo's to haul their own diapers and snacks. They have been on many vacations/road trips, used through kindergarten and are still used occasionally for vacation. They still look brand new. They are 9 1/2 so eight years with those so far. I bought them the Explorer backpacks when they went into first grade and they've used them through third grade. Spray them down, toss them in the wash and they come out looking brand new. They are getting new ones this year just because of the boredom factor, the others will be used for vacation etc.

I have to admit, I almost caved and let them get the cheapy character backpacks this year but I just couldn't do it. From caving to oldest DD when she was younger I know they fall apart mid year and have to be replaced costing me more. I let my kids put pins and keychains of their favorite characters on the LL Beans and that makes them happy. I have never so much as had a stuck zipper with the LL Beans but I know if I had a problem I could send them in so I stick with them. I say send yours in OP, they'll take care of you.

Last edited:
When DS started middle school, I got him an $80 LL Bean rolling backpack. It only lasted 2 years before the wheel fell off. I had expected the backpack to last through middle school so I sent it back for a replacement.

DD has had her regular LL Bean backpack for 4 years. The bottom is full of holes at this point. I am trying to determine what the "normal" life expectancy of an LL Bean back pack is. I want to determine if this is normal wear and tear vs it didn't last as long as it should. LL Bean has a great return/replacement policy, but I know it doesn't mean I get a free replacement backpack for life. I need a frame of reference.

Please post how long your child's LL Bean backpack lasted.

I still have my backpack from college. Sometimes it serves as a park bag. BTW I'm 43 and started college in 1989.

We use the jansport.....lifetime warranty! That being said we have never had to use it. My husband and I still use our book bags from college (I am 40 and he is 45). Of course, my kids are bummed having to use the same bookbag going on year 4...they want new ones in different colors!

going on 4 years with one, 3 years for another and I think DS19's is 2 years old. His is a replacement though. We had his old LLBean bag for 3 years I think but it started to get holes in the bottom (not a bag dragger) and the shoulder strap started to let go.
The only thing they asked me was when I bought it. I had to look that up.

What I like about the LLBean bags is they hold a lot. My kids go to HS on a huge campus so we don't have lockers anymore so they have to carry everything with them.

I did not notice my ll bean backpack lasting longer than other brands. Kids are hard on their stuff. While my backpack has lasted me >10 years, my kids burn through them in 2-3.

We have 4 LL Bean backpacks that are still in excellent condition. The oldest belongs to my 20 yr old - a college junior who's been using it since 5th grade. It's also been used for 3 Disney trips, a bunch of weekend trips both with family and to visit his friends and lots of trips to the grandparents. This one is like the Deluxe Plus, the 18 yr old's is Super Deluxe, the 13 yr old has North Ridge and we have another Deluxe Plus that is not currently used for school but the youngest will probably use it if he doesn't make a decision on what color backpack he wants!

My youngest is going into 4th grade and has had a new cheapy backpack every year - usually from the Toys R Us deal where you get a free lunchbox when you buy the backpack. Last year he used a Disney one that was a purchase with purchase at WDW in 2012 and I'm not sure how that lasted the entire school year.

Last edited:
I have two LL Bean backpacks - got the first one in 5th grade, which would have been 1985 or 1986. It's still going strong! When I was in grad school in 1998 I decided I needed a "laptop" backpack, and purchased another LL Bean - DH uses that one to cart all his stuff back and forth from work and it's in perfect condition as well.

My kids have Lands End backpacks - my DS9 has had his for 4 years and it's still in great condition. I don't foresee replacing his anytime soon.

We are on year 2, but our LL Bean backpack wasn't used daily, so this year will be a good test.

My oldest DS got his current one in 9th grade. It's going to grad school in the fall. Little guy got his in kindergarten and even though he is not too happy about it, it is going to 3rd grade this year. It seems I put his name on it in kindergarten and you don't have your name on bags in third grade!!!!! He might move up a size and get a new one next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter