How long did your kid's LL Bean backpack last?

Mrs. Ciz

DIS Veteran
When DS started middle school, I got him an $80 LL Bean rolling backpack. It only lasted 2 years before the wheel fell off. I had expected the backpack to last through middle school so I sent it back for a replacement.

DD has had her regular LL Bean backpack for 4 years. The bottom is full of holes at this point. I am trying to determine what the "normal" life expectancy of an LL Bean back pack is. I want to determine if this is normal wear and tear vs it didn't last as long as it should. LL Bean has a great return/replacement policy, but I know it doesn't mean I get a free replacement backpack for life. I need a frame of reference.

Please post how long your child's LL Bean backpack lasted.

Don't have a frame of reference since I haven't had LL bean bags... However I have had the holes in the bottom of the bag thing a lot in middle school... Is she dragging the bag? That is what I was doing I would hold the top of the bag and drag it instead of picking it up.

Don't have a frame of reference since I haven't had LL bean bags... However I have had the holes in the bottom of the bag thing a lot in middle school... Is she dragging the bag? That is what I was doing I would hold the top of the bag and drag it instead of picking it up.

No she actually wears her backpack on her back.

I expect to buy a new backpack every year, but I am pleasantly surprised some years - this one being an example - when a bag holds up enough for a second year. The LLBean I bought last year is in perfect condition, and I find that impressive given that DD's school doesn't have lockers. She carries the bag around from class to class all day, every day, and it is very heavy.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who have stretched a single bag through all of middle school or high school, but I think of backpacks like purses or glasses - it is an accessory that you always have with you. I would get bored after a while.

I expect to buy a new backpack every year, but I am pleasantly surprised some years - this one being an example - when a bag holds up enough for a second year. The LLBean I bought last year is in perfect condition, and I find that impressive given that DD's school doesn't have lockers. She carries the bag around from class to class all day, every day, and it is very heavy.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who have stretched a single bag through all of middle school or high school, but I think of backpacks like purses or glasses - it is an accessory that you always have with you. I would get bored after a while.
I hear ya about replacing every year. That's why I finally did the research and bought the LL Bean backpacks vs the Target, Walmart, or Dick's Sporting Goods ones. I read reviews on line from parents saying their kids' backpacks lasted all though their schooling years - like 10 years! I'm just trying to determine what the average "real" life span of an LL Bean backpack is.

My son has had a Land's End backpack going on 5 years. Still in great shape, though he's only in grade school.

My son's LL Bean backpack lasted for 4 years. It probably would hold up another year or so, but that's it. There are some small tears and definite wearing. He too wears it on his back and doesn't drag it along. I think I paid about $45 for it. The other backpacks I used to get him would be like $20 and be toast before the end of the school year. With the experience I've had with this LL Bean backpack, I would never purchase a different brand. I'm buying him a new one this year because he's going into 7th grade and wants a more grown up one. The one he has had has a shark on it with his initials, so I can see why he wants a new one.

So I guess my opinion, 4 years out of a school backpack to me is a great value. I would not be unsatisfied with it's performance. Hope this helps. :)

My kids have not had an LL Bean backpack. However, I remember them from when I was a kid. I had lots of friends who had them from middle school all the way through high school. They either lasted or they sent them off to be fixed during the summers.

My Mom bought us JanSport backpacks which also had a lifetime warranty. I had one that I got in middle school (7th grade) and carried the 'same' backpack through the end of high school. I actually still have it and use it for camping trips, etc now 20 years later. We did have to send it off to 'summer camp' most years. Sometimes just the zipper broke. They'd fix it and send it back. I started off with one with a leather bottom and at some point they stopped producing those and when it wore out the last time my replacement did not have a leather bottom. One thing I always remember was that while your backpack was gone you'd get postcards about the summer camp from your bag. It was really cool. :)

Personally, I say send it back and get the replacement. I believe they do call it a lifetime warranty!

I got my son an LL Bean backpack when he started Middle School - he used it through Middle School, High School, and College. So, it's at least 12 years old as my son is 23 now. It's still in great shape and still in use, and he's been hard on it. I wonder if it's a case of "they don't make 'em like they used to."

I got my son one last year when he started high school. It's actually in the washer now so it's ready for September. It's still in great condition except for a stain where he spilled juice or soda on it.

He says he wants a Nike bookbag. I may get him one next year but for this year he's using the LL Bean bag.

I just bought DD one for 4th grade. It has her name on it. I told her this will last her through 6th grade. She starts middle school in 7th grade and she can get a new one then.

Prior to these I just bought them bags every year. I would get them some cheap bag they wanted with some character on it and by mid year they were falling apart. I did get DS a bag from Amazon that lasted him 6-8 grades.

I got my son one last year when he started high school. It's actually in the washer now so it's ready for September. It's still in great condition except for a stain where he spilled juice or soda on it.

He says he wants a Nike bookbag. I may get him one next year but for this year he's using the LL Bean bag.

I just bought DD one for 4th grade. It has her name on it. I told her this will last her through 6th grade. She starts middle school in 7th grade and she can get a new one then.

Prior to these I just bought them bags every year. I would get them some cheap bag they wanted with some character on it and by mid year they were falling apart. I did get DS a bag from Amazon that lasted him 6-8 grades.
Don't get him a Nike backpack. DS got one when he started high school and it only lasted until Christmas of Freshman year. I returned it for another Nike backpack and it lasted just until the end of Freshman year...never again!

I got my son an LL Bean backpack when he started Middle School - he used it through Middle School, High School, and College. So, it's at least 12 years old as my son is 23 now. It's still in great shape and still in use, and he's been hard on it. I wonder if it's a case of "they don't make 'em like they used to."
This is what I expected based on the reviews I read when I bought it.

My one ds is going on his 5th year with his LLBean one. My dd has one that she got 7 years ago, its still in great shape but she hasn't used it in the last 2 years for school.
My youngest had one for a year and the the flap over the zipper got caught in the zipper and it would not come free no matter what we tried. I had purchased it when I purchased my other ds's so even though it wasn't used the whole time it was over 2 years old. I asked if I could send it in to be fixed at my expense but they just let me purchase another at the price I originally paid and send the other one back and they would issue a refund. I couldn't believe they would do that after all that time, and definitely wasn't expecting it.

The multiple regular LL Bean backpacks in our household have been in use for at least 10 years, one is approaching 15 years. The lining inside is peeling, but it has been through hard wear and still is great. One messenger bag had some hardware break on it, I'm wondering if we took it to the nearest store (an hour away), do they still fix/replace it for free? Receipt is long gone,lol.

My kids are on year 4 of their LL Bean backpacks. Both are still in good shape, but the pink shows some dirt despite washing. I got them on a special for $11.50, so I don't feel like they owe me anything. They are going to use them again; may buy a new one for middle school, but mostly for style.

My DS16 used his LL Bean backpack for 5 yrs. It is still in good shape, maybe a bit faded and broken in, and I think a zipper pull came off. He liked the backpack so much we ordered another one for him to start high school with - the same exact one, just brand new. After about a month the handle ripped off on the new one. We sent it in for a replacement(or repair), and he was able to go back to using his old one in the meantime until the replacement came. He has used the new one now for 2 years and it still looks brand new.

OP, maybe your DD needs a bigger backpack?

We got our daughter an LLBean backpack to start Kindergarten. This summer she used it on vacation--she's going into 9th grade. Still looks great, but it's pink with her name on it, so not something she has used daily during the last few years.

My daughter has an LL Bean backpack and last year the shoulder strap started to tear at the end of the school year. Took it back to our local LL Bean store and they replaced it no questions asked. In fact they did not have the same size backpack available so they upgraded it to the next size up for no cost. LL Bean stands behind their products and even with your son's backpack being 2 years old they will replace it for you.

When DS started middle school, I got him an $80 LL Bean rolling backpack. It only lasted 2 years before the wheel fell off. I had expected the backpack to last through middle school so I sent it back for a replacement.

DD has had her regular LL Bean backpack for 4 years. The bottom is full of holes at this point. I am trying to determine what the "normal" life expectancy of an LL Bean back pack is. I want to determine if this is normal wear and tear vs it didn't last as long as it should. LL Bean has a great return/replacement policy, but I know it doesn't mean I get a free replacement backpack for life. I need a frame of reference.

Please post how long your child's LL Bean backpack lasted.

LL Bean has fantastic warranties. Call them and send it back - they will send you a replacement without any hassle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter