How is a quarantine handled?

Incharge

<font color=deepseagreen>Has a PHOBIA about teeny
I realize that illnesses warrant quarantines, but how does the cruise lines make sure that these people stay in their cabins? I know they do not lock them in, but is it a "Good-Faith" thing? Do they trust that the people will actually stay in the cabins and not sneek out? What if, say, a family of 4 have a cabin, and only 1 child gets sick? Is one parent allowed to roam the ship, even though they may be a carrier of the illness, or does the whole family have to stay in? Just wondering how it's done. Like I said, they would be taking me off of the ship in a padded wagon, with my claustrophobic self:rolleyes: :D

They have a little tiny room, about 5x7, down below deck 1 with no windows and only one door and they lock your whole family in there. If you complain, they pipe in the soundtrack from "it's a small world" until you stop complaining. A tray of food will be slipped under your door three times a day. If you actually behave, they might give you a tv. :jester:

Seriously, it seems like if you need to be quarantined they treat you pretty well. They guarantee that you stay in your cabin by making a note on your KTTW account, so I guess you could sneak out if you really wanted to. As far as I know they don't post an armed guard at your door or anything. I think from reports I read last year, they weren't terribly consistent about whether the entire party had to remain in the room or just the person who is sick.

You can avoid picking up bacteria AND viruses by washing your hands properly (use warm water, lather for at least 15 seconds (count, it's a lot longer than it seems) and frequently. We also like to use purell frequently. It's also a good habit to avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.

I think if you end up being quarantined and they have a verandah cabin available, they are willing to move you there so you can get some air. They also will bring you regular dining room meals so you don't have to exist on cheese and crackers or anything. It really sounds like something that you shouldn't spend a lot of time and energy worrying about!

Originally posted by Lisa F
They have a little tiny room, about 5x7, down below deck 1 with no windows and only one door and they lock your whole family in there. If you complain, they pipe in the soundtrack from "it's a small world" until you stop complaining. A tray of food will be slipped under your door three times a day. If you actually behave, they might give you a tv. :jester:

Oh my!! I am in tears here. Funny:rotfl:

On a serious note, I hope the docs on board can confirm whether or not you are contagious. I read on a thread awhile ago that a family was confined to their cabin because apparently their child ate too much fruit and while in flounders, or one of the other children clubs had diarrhea real bad and the counsler reported the child as Ill. Needless to say, if this was true, I'd be nervous.

incharge...check out my trip report for first hand experience with isolation to the stateroom.

Aimee

We were quarantined last January. I also posted a trip report, but it's probably dropped off by now.

It was my DD and DH who were sick. They wouldn't let DS go to the clubs, since he was possibly carrying the germs, but they didn't restrict the non-sick people to the room. They asked us to use common sense, and wash our hands, etc, and they also didn't want us to go to the dining rooms. We were allowed to order off the menu for our restaurant each evening, and they brought it to our room.

As far as the quarantined people, when you're that sick, you really don't want to be out and about. The staff is also checking on your periodically, and if you aren't in your room when they check, they'll probably get upset. We didn't have any other port stops, but they could possibly make you leave the ship if you don't stay quarantined. I had heard that someone did leave the ship due to illness, but I'm not sure if it was what they chose to do.

As someone said, they do treat you pretty well. They will bring you just about anything you want, including games, a vcr, movies, etc. The room service people will make things other than the room service menu. DD wanted plain rice once, and she had chicken broth several times. They'll also bring you alcohol free of charge.

Hope this helps. Feel free to pm me with any specific questions.

Lisa

Lisa F... Now I have to re-apply my make-up because I laughed til I cried! Thanks everyone for answering this. I know you all thought I was crazy, but I always wanted to know how it is done. I will read the web sites too. thanks. Hopefully your next cruises will be alot better. You are right, when I had sea-sickness, all I could do was lay down.

eek40... I read your trip report. All I can say is "Poor thing!" I wrote a reply on the report thread. Your report answers all of the questions I wondered about. As I was reading, it made me want to send you a ticket so you could go again. I was not thrilled with your SS either. She should have been thankful that you took her child. I can't get over the nerve of some people. Well, I hope you get to go again soon, and have a really good time. You looked forward to this trip for so long. But at least you got SOME enjoyment out of it too! The next time will be better, I am sure.

Incharge,
Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot to me.

I personally think that as difficult as the decision was to go to the dr or not that its the only thing you can do rather than get everyone sick.

Things to point out.

Guest Services and the Infirmary will call your stateroom and make sure you are there. If you dont answer back within a certain amount of time they will send someone to look for you. They will provide a lot of "extras" to make you comfortable. The Drs visit is free if you are seen for vomitting or diareah, only charge is for any medicine they may give you.

Aimee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter