How far away from home did you go when you left for college,the service or just left?

My husband and I lived with each of our parents until we were 21. Then we bought a house together. I moved about 25 minutes away and he moved about 10 minutes away. Still here 21 years later.

His mom & her husband have an in law apartment on our house. My parents moved about 5 minutes away from here a few years ago. Last year my dad passed away and then my mom moved 4 1/2 hours away to live with my sister.

And now my brother bought a house about 7 miles from me.

About three hours to college, half way across the world for my first full time job, about a quarter way across the world next and now 20 minutes from where I was born and raised.

From upstate NY to San Antonio Texas when I joined the Air Force.

I went to college about 450 miles away and then moved to Virginia. I came back to Charleston for work a couple years later.

My kids both went to school in North Carolina. My older child (son) is married and lives in the country about a half hour away. My younger child (daughter) works in California.

I didn't come home much when I was in college, and neither did my kids.

I moved about 4 hours away for high school (boarding)
Moved back to my home city for college about 20 minutes from home but only went home on holidays or to house sit when my parents traveled. Stayed in the area for work and grad school.
Moved across the country when I got married

I went to college about 40 minutes from home. I lived there for a few years after I graduated and then moved back to the town I grew up in. I now live less than 5 miles from my momma and brother and my grandma lives at the bottom of the hill behind me. Perfect!

2500 miles (CT to AZ). I moved out to CA after graduation and stayed there for 7 years. My husband and I just moved to NC, so at 12 hours driving distance, this is the closest I've been to family in 10 years or so.

I lived at home for college (University of Houston), which I regret to this day. Not the school, but living at home.

Off to Fort Knox, KY for Armor Basic, then Fort Riley Kansas for 3 years. Fort Riley is about 1300 miles from Houston, so that's pretty much when I moved away.

Now we're in Austin, by way of Heidelberg, Germany and Waco, Texas. We're about 3 hours from Houston.

My first trip into the real world after I got married was from Maryland (suburban Washington DC) to Panama, Canal Zone to join DH at Ft. Clayton.
Not sure how far it is.

After his Army discharge and college (in MD), DH joined the Foreign Service and we retired in 2003 in Kissimmee by way of Spain, Peru, Turkey, England, Indonesia, Cote d'Ivoire, the Philippines and Germany. Not sure of the mileage we racked up on these trips, but one of my old passports has 99 chops in it!

Queen Colleen

I went 9 hours away to the south. DH (before we ever met) went 14 hrs away from his parents out west. I moved back home and lived nearby my parents. DH & I met when I lived there & together we have moved 18 hrs away. I was not homesick at all in college but I really miss it now!

DD19 is 45 min away at school and I love that she can come home sometimes. DD13 just told me this weekend that she wants to go to a local school. We'll see if she feels that way in five years.

DS11 would like to attend a school about 8 hours away as of now. He knows nothing about it but his friend really likes the area. :lmao: Those boys have big plans and I'm so curious to see how their futures play out.

I first moved out when I was 19. I lived less than 5 miles away and it was on the way to and from my mom's work. For the next 6 years I lived no more than 15 miles away. Then I went to OKC (grew up in small town north of Charlotte) for 3 months for air traffic control school. Then once done got assigned down to Miami (over 750 miles away), and here I still sit 22+ years later. I eventually went to college down here while I worked.

I went to school a little less than 2 hours away from home. DH's school was about 1 1/2 hrs from his home. DS moves into his freshman dorm next weekend and that's about 3 1/2 hours away.

I went to college about an hour away.

Once I graduated I moved back to the area and was only about 15 min from my parents home until they moved an hour away about 6 years ago.

For us DS #1 is about an hour away, DD #1 is about 1100 miles away and DD #2 and DS #2 are still living at home. They both go to local colleges and commute.

I went to college 90 miles, 2 hours from home. DH traveled 260 miles, 5 + hours, to the same school, where we met.

DS went 300 miles and DD went 90 to college.

12 hours west to Vancouver, BC Canada............i was going to live on the beach in a fancy high rise :rotfl2: needless to day those dreams were dashed when i realized what i could afford. I was 19.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter