• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How familiar were you with your home resort when you first joined DVC

How familiar were you with your home resort when you first joined DVC?

• I bought sight unseen

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • I saw floor plans, drawings, and/or brochures

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • I saw photos/reviews of the resort on the web

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • I toured the model rooms in person

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • I visited the resort in person

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I actually stayed at the resort

Votes: 37 29.6%

• Total voters
Familiar is a relative term. We bought BCV off the resale market - sight unseen. My husband loves the YC and we wanted an EPCOT area resort for F&W. We picked BCV because we knew YC/BC well. That said, we never had stayed at any DVC pro, but had done a ton of research to understand UY, banking/borrowing, annual fees, and the booking rules. One reason we paid for BCV is the "buy where you want to stay" mantra and because we knew there would be no other way to stay at BCV during F&W.

We bought VGF direct from Disney. We had stayed at the GF 2 or 3 times - love the resort, love the location, and as soon as the VGF came on the market we bought in.

For our longer WDW trips, we would not be happy relying on the busses. We love being able to walk to EPCOT for a snack or hop on the monorail to the Tambu lounge or TOTWL.

I think the biggest mistakes people make are:
1) Buying without understanding the rules
2) Buying into a resort with the expectation of being able to switch at 7 months (i.e. buying into OKW or SSR for lower price per point and then being disappointed at not being able to book at BCV during f&w for example).

We have no regrets and are trying to find the right resale contract for us to buy at VGC - so no buyers remorse from us!

I toured the newly-built model rooms when we first bought, as the resort wasn't built yet.

My parents have owned since 1994 at OKW. So I've stayed at OKW and SSR before I finally bought SSR. I like the place. It's quiet and I'll never be disappointed by staying there even if another place is a preference.

Now I'm (trying) to buy at BLT because of the location, and I've never stayed there or at the Contemporary. We visited it multiple times though.

I've never been in my home resort before buying and I've not stayed there yet. I bought the cheapest option to enter the system and try different resorts, so it wasn't really important to know the resort. However I spent 5 months of active investigation (here on the DIS and other websites) to really understand the system.

We stayed at the Swan back in 2007 and fell in love with the Epcot resort area. We also learned about DVC on this trip and checked out the model 2 BR villa at Boardwalk and were amazed with all the space when compared to a hotel room. I then took the tour of Saratoga but knew it wasn't where I wanted to buy. We loved the Beach Club so the next few trips we rented points to stay in 2 BR villas. I was instantly hooked. It took me several years to get my husband to agree (he is a finance guy and thinks timeshares are a bad investment). So I just socked away a little cash here and there and knew one day I would own at BCV. I watched the resale market closely and when I had the cash I bought 250 point loaded contract back in 2012. I'm so glad I bought when I did because I feel like I stole my contract when comparing to what they are selling for today. We have since stayed twice, for a couple nights, at AKV Jambo and loved it there too. I am hoping to buy a resale contract there eventually.

We were FLR when we went on our first DVC tour. We loved the idea but it didn't make sense to us living in the same town. We went a the tour a few more times and listened to the pitch on DCL. When BLT was being built we were relocated out of the state and jumped at the chance to own. We love BLT and have since purchased BCV and are in the process of closing an add on at BLT. We didn't tour/stay at BCV, but loved the location! We started with a small contract at BLT but as our kids grow realize we need larger villas, which is where the add ons have came.

Huh, so 30% actually stayed at the resort first before buying.

I thought it might be a lower percentage.

It was my third trip to WDW (2003) and my dh's second trip. We were on our last night, took the boat from Epcot to BW. We had never been in that area before. As we leaned against the railing, by the lake, close to Joe's, my dh said, and I quote, 'If I could buy that vacation thing here, I would.' Well, don't need to hit me with a bat!!! We chatted about it. Never even went inside the building, much less toured a villa. The next morning, we ate at CM's, dd and I headed to MK to spend a last 2 hrs, while dh returned to the Polynesian to get bags ready to go. On the ride back to MCO, dh mentioned that he had talked to the DVC CM in the lobby, and they would be calling us...so, go ahead and get it if I wanted!!!! We were owners at BWV within 2 months. Have never looked back. Added a small second contract at BWV as well as a third at BLT.
Now, I'm considering another one someplace else...probably not through Disney though.

Our home resort is the Poly. It was not cost effective to stay there at full price. DVC makes it accessible.

We just closed at SSR - we'd walked through it after taking an Epcot bus there to get to DTD (we were late & in a hurry for a T-Rex reservation though). We walked around this past Dec after passing ROFR & it was exactly as expected.

When choosing our HR I went with my pocketbook. We loved BC when we stayed last Aug, but being a larger family at least a 1bd is a must. I don't want to compete with families of 4 or less all trying to book a studio (after they install the murphy) to save points at any resort. I've seen too many FB posts of owners locked out of studios at 11 months & having to waitlist their HR. (Just an aside, but I seriously wish they'd put murphy beds in more 1bds instead of the studios).

We chose SSR (in order)...

1. Bang for our buck (lower MF, lower buy-in price pp = longer stays in bigger accomodations (seperate bedroom was a dealbreaker - we've crammed into 1 room at POR, BC, & CBR - no more)

2. Golf ::yes:: - my DH tolerates all things Disney & loves all things golf (I don't even tolerate golf) & this way Madame & kids go to the parks & DH can golf without leaving the resort

3. Proximity to DTD (DS) - we're looking for a vacation with a touch of Disney after several commando vacations & DS gives us more non-park options (especially dining)

If we enjoy our DVC vacations I'd like to add on at BCV, but no other property interests me enough to want to buy there.

I bought resales at OKW and SSR. I bought because of the cost. I rented points for stays at both resorts before buying and am fine staying there. I hope to occasionally get to switch at 7 months. But if it doesn't happen I don't really care. BWV is our favorite, but I couldn't justify the extra cost. Hopefully once the kids are out of school DH and I can be flexible and get to stay there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter