How early to arrive at Midway on Saturday morning?

stargazertechie

Toy Story Midway Maniac
I'm officially in freakout mode for our trip. We are driving to Chicago Friday night, staying at the Clarion on Cicero- 2 miles/10 minutes from Midway. We're parking at the Midway Park Saver across from the terminal entrance.

Our flight leaves at 7:40 AM.

Current forecast for the weekend is a 30% chance of snow on Friday, 10% chance of snow on Saturday.

If you were in my shoes, what time would you aim to be at the airport?

I live very close to Midway airport. Weathermen are predicting snow for Thursday night into Friday morning. So by Saturday morning everything should be all clear.

Not sure how long it takes to get from the parking area to the terminal. I would probably be at the parking area by about 5:45 am, with hopes to be in the terminal by 6:15 am? We never fly this early, but my guess is that things would be pretty quiet at this time of the morning.

Are you flying Southwest? If so you will be already checked in. Good luck.

I live very close to Midway airport. Weathermen are predicting snow for Thursday night into Friday morning. So by Saturday morning everything should be all clear.

Not sure how long it takes to get from the parking area to the terminal. I would probably be at the parking area by about 5:45 am, with hopes to be in the terminal by 6:15 am? We never fly this early, but my guess is that things would be pretty quiet at this time of the morning.

Are you flying Southwest? If so you will be already checked in. Good luck.

Yes. We're flying southwest, but we do have to check bags, so we'll have to stop at the kiosks. Do you know where the orange line station is at Midway? The Park Saver is right across 59th St. Depending on how far back in the lot you end up, it's a 5 minute walk to the Orange Line station/skywalk, and then a 5 minute walk through the skywalk to the terminal :dance3:

It sounds like you have everything under control, you know more about Midway Airport than I do! I'm not familiar with the Park Saver, but I Googled it. Do you have the coupon from the website?

If you're checking bags I think you have to go to the ticket counter, right? I still think things will be very quiet on a Saturday morning, no business travelers, you know? If you're all checked in by 6:30 am you'll probably be fine.

It sounds like you have everything under control, you know more about Midway Airport than I do! I'm not familiar with the Park Saver, but I Googled it. Do you have the coupon from the website?

If you're checking bags I think you have to go to the ticket counter, right? I still think things will be very quiet on a Saturday morning, no business travelers, you know? If you're all checked in by 6:30 am you'll probably be fine.

Yes and Yes on both accounts. Coupon's printed, and my DH will drop me at the CTA doors to take the luggage up while he parks the car.

If there is a line at the ticket booths to check bags you might want to walk outside at give them to the guys outside.

Larry

And now I officially begin to get nervous. Southwest is allowing customers who are booked between 12PM tomorrow and 12PM friday to reschedule all flights into and out of Chicago.

Time to start looking at the flight lists again to know what our options are if we get bumped/if they ask for volunteers.

The lines for baggage check at Southwest can be quite long at Midway - both inside and outside (I think that their 2 free check bags policy contributes to that). We always allow extra time - try to arrive 2 hours before our flight - to allow for baggage check lines and security lines. The nice thing is that right after security is the food court area so if we get through everything early, we can stop and grab a bite and coffee there.

We've been in a slammed Midway airport on a early Saturday AM. With the snow coming tonight/tomorrow I would definitely be there 2 hours prior, just in case. (I think the weather will be fine for you by then, I would just be worried about extra folks who rescheduled the Friday flights who are there too.)

I am curious of what you think of Midway Park Saver. Have you used them before? We might try it in June for the first time but some of the older Yelp postings have me worried about it. DH would be doing the parking/walking while I take care of luggage.

We always use the Park, Ride, and Fly on 47th street, about 2.5 miles away. It's a very secure lot, they do a great job. They get you there in a matter of minutes and drop you right at Southwest. On return I never even call them, they are always hovering around the pickup area. We always check bags at skycap, it's quick and efficient especially if you have your tickets printed already. But that being said we are always there 2 hours early just in case there are backups at security.

Lets Go Hawks!!

We always use the Park, Ride, and Fly on 47th street, about 2.5 miles away. It's a very secure lot, they do a great job. They get you there in a matter of minutes and drop you right at Southwest. On return I never even call them, they are always hovering around the pickup area. We always check bags at skycap, it's quick and efficient especially if you have your tickets printed already. But that being said we are always there 2 hours early just in case there are backups at security.

Lets Go Hawks!!

Thanks! I think the appeal to my DH of the other place (Midway Park Saver) was it can be walked if you don't want to wait for a shuttle. He will be on a 6 am flight out and we are all coming back together around 10pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter