How do you spread the magic?

We don't have to purchase them anymore but, balloons. When you buy one and then it's time to go home you can't really take it on the plane or in the car. Find a child, make sure it's ok with the parents and give that balloon to them. You would not believe how a kid lights up when given a balloon!

We were in line for Soarin' and there were some very rude guests in the standby line giving the CM a hard time about letting "all those rich people" (In the FP line) go ahead of them. When we got closer, I made sure to smile and tell her she was doing great and how well she had handled the rude guests. She got a little teary and said "thanks".
We try and let the CM's know when they are doing a great job. Especially if they are having a rough day.

Please don't flame me for this (and I hope it doesn't come across the wrong way), but I think spreading the magic is Disney's job.

That's not to say that we aren't happy, polite and helpful at WDW, but you start getting into some weird situations when you try to make magic for others at WDW.

We have helped others get where they need to go, hand out a few leftover FP's (back in the paper FP days), and offer a few tips/suggestions to newbies on the buses, give up bus seat, offer to take a photo so that the whole family can be in it, etc... but that's about our limit. If it happens organically, that's great, but we don't try to be the Disney magic dispensers...

We're just so dang happy to be there ourselves and enjoy some magical/memorable time together.

Dan

Last edited:
Sorry if I sounded pretentious! I didn't mean to, I just think we all need to keep the positivity alive in the parks (a lot of people who's first time may be their last get very stressed out and upset). I love reading all the replies though. A smile goes a long way :)

So many great ideas in this thread - common courtesy at its finest but so often neglected in today's world! My best friend and I will also offer to take photos for other guests so they can have pictures with everyone in them :flower:I will say that I have been known to "trade pins" with kids with their parents approval but I select a starter pin on their lanyards and tell them to take 3-4 of mine, explaining that I have too many to carry around or duplicates and I want them to have lots to trade with the CM's later when its a 1:1 trade. I have years worth of pins from starter sets and I only keep certain types of pins that are special to me so I would rather kids enjoy all my extras than for the pins to sit in bags at my house until the next trip! I will say that I have been known to just give kids pins too - pin trading is a great way for them to interact with others, learning social skills , using manners etc and if they have a bright new lanyard with just a few pins on it I want them to have more chances to trade. I have my special ones on display on bulletin boards, my stethoscope cover, lunch bag etc so I get my daily dose of Disney.

Personally I do not feel any need to buy stuff to hand out. A lot can be done by just being polite and not acting like a jerk, even if you get stressed. As a park guests you don't need to exude happiness or cheerfulness - just don't be a jerk. I also think it's kind of a cop-out to blame others' jerkiness on FP+ and construction.

Say please and thank you, hold doors for people, let the older people sit down on the bus first, give up your seat for someone who seriously needs it, SMILE at the CM's and show your appreciation. Gush over princesses walking down the walkways, help entertain a tired baby in line ahead of you or behind you....

How about being friendly and courteous to the guests and CMs that you encounter. Such a refreshing and welcome change from all the **** head behavior I saw on my last visit. I'd much rather have a smile and a thank you for holding a door open, for example, than freebie giveaways from a stranger. No offense intended to those who like to do that, though.

If a day at WDW isn't magical enough on its own, there is something very wrong.

I have never loved a post more than this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter