How do you spread the magic?

melaniexo

Earning My Ears
Lately I think we can all agree that the parks have been less magical than usual (this isn't a jab at the CMs, but I think that Fastpass+ and the construction in the parks is making some people extremely stressed in the parks). Something that I'm going to do on my next trip is give out glow stick bracelets to a bunch of kids at night. It got me wondering- is there anything else you like to do to spread the magic? I think we all need a bit more these days.

At the end of our stay we usually have leftover dining or snack credits and have bought random people snacks or a CS meal

How about being friendly and courteous to the guests and CMs that you encounter. Such a refreshing and welcome change from all the dick head behavior I saw on my last visit. I'd much rather have a smile and a thank you for holding a door open, for example, than freebie giveaways from a stranger. No offense intended to those who like to do that, though.

If a day at WDW isn't magical enough on its own, there is something very wrong.

I always try to bring plenty of common courtesy and a flexible attitude to the parks with me. That serves me well.

In addition, as an avid photographer and one who usually tours solo, when I see a person taking a photo of other family members, I offer to snap a pic of all of them together.

This gesture is almost always welcomed warmly -- I even got a hug last visit! I always have my nice camera around my neck, so even people with expensive kits tend to trust me with them. (It could also be my middle-aged-suburban-mom sensibility that puts people at ease.)

I go to the parks often and know a lot of ins and outs, as do many folks on this board. There have been times that I have shared a tip or recommendation with another guest in line or wherever, but only after interacting long enough to be confident it would be welcomed.

Last edited:
I always try to bring plenty of common courtesy and a flexible attitude to the parks with me. That serves me well.

In addition, as an avid photographer and one who usually tours solo, when I see a person taking a photo of other family members, I offer to snap a pic of all of them together.

This gesture is almost always welcomed warmly -- I even got a hug last visit! I always have my nice camera around my neck, so even people with expensive kits tend to trust me with them. (It could also be my middle-aged suburban mom sensibility that puts people at ease.)

I go to the parks often and know a lot of ins and outs, as do many folks on this board. There have been times that I have shared a tip or recommendation with another guest in line or wherever, but only after interacting long enough to be confident it would be welcomed.

About taking pictures for other people - when we were at Crystal Palace for breakfast last year, our table was next to a single mom who was there with her 3 kids. When we offered to take pictures for her with each character, she literally got emotional! She said that she had encountered a lot of rude people and was expecting everyone at Disney to be more happy and cheerful (guests, not CMs). That gave me good vibes for the rest of the day :]

Like PP's have said, be kind and polite, i sometimes offer to let people with kids go infront in a line, i also love to wave from any boats/train/ monorail, people (especially kids) seem to love to wave back. If i play arcade games/ boardwalk games and happen to win a prize i'll usually give it to the next child i see.

If there's any room at all, we like to let people's children squeeze up next to DS for parades and fireworks. We also like to offer up bench, seat, and table space, when there's room. I always feel bad for people walking around with heavy trays of food or carrying a child. I also try to assume that people are not being intentionally rude or mean but just don't realize how they are behaving. It makes it easier to not get angry with people.

If there's any room at all, we like to let people's children squeeze up next to DS for parades and fireworks. We also like to offer up bench, seat, and table space, when there's room. I always feel bad for people walking around with heavy trays of food or carrying a child. I also try to assume that people are not being intentionally rude or mean but just don't realize how they are behaving. It makes it easier to not get angry with people.

I agree, there is behavior that is obviously over the line but most of what I see is behavior that is probably the result of being a little too hot, a little too tired, a little too overstimulated, or a little too low on blood sugar. Been there myself, so I try hard to assume the best and stay polite, and I find sometimes a little politeness goes a long way with people who are just a bit out of sorts. The best part is, I find this is true everywhere, not just at WDW.

This! I completely agree! In life in general too i try to live by this!

I also try to be patient rather than in a rush, so I don't get stressed out and become rude accidentally.
6ce11.jpg

I agree with just keeping a positive attitude and being polite. On our last trip, a CM recognized us in the parks after having seen us a few days earlier in a different location. I commented that I was surprised that she was able to remember us and she said that she noticed that we always looked happy, and she remembered the happy ones. It seemed to make her happy as well. Very simple, but I walked away feeling even more upbeat. It's also a sad commentary on how many unhappy people the CM's must encounter if we happened to stand out because we were smiling.

Just being polite, courteous and smiling at people.

I like to offer to take photos of people or families if they are trying to get a nice picture together, but mostly I just concentrate on getting on with my day, not getting in the way of others and trying to enjoy myself as much as possible :)

I love this thread. I try to compliment little children I see dressed up for the parks. I have my own little ones who love to dress up and I know they like when other people notice. I also try to be extra kind to the CMs and other guest.

Yes to all of the above. A simple gesture of kindness can go a long way! An example - we were dining at Ohana in January. My youngest DD got sick and threw up (at the table, YUCK) and neither of my other 2 girls wanted to get up and do the dance (or walk or whatever with the lady who comes around) because they're too shy. The family seated right next to us (we did not know them and hadn't spoken to them) had 2 young girls who got up and participated, AND they brought back 3 extra leis - one for each of my girls. It totally made our entire night!

Exactly as above: be a nice decent person, be happy to be there and remember that everyone paid to be there so that doesn't give you a right to a "better" experience than anyone else. We have also done glow bracelets and the occasional trading pin to a child that seems really interested (always with parent's permission first).

All the above. I'm little miss manners when dealing with people. I also make a point to say something to a person wearing a button. Happy birthday or happy anniversary or congratulations!

Lately I think we can all agree that the parks have been less magical than usual...

You thought wrong!

I don't get stressed out over FP+ because it still beats waiting in a standby line, and I like not having to run to attractions just to get FPs for them. Planning and booking FPs was one of my favorite parts of planning our last trip.

I don't get stressed out over construction because I've seen the results of past construction, and I love those results. Think about it - wouldn't you be more stressed if Disney let the parks fall apart or become stale?

I'm glad to see so many people try to help their fellow Disney friends when you are at the parks. I see a LOT of people who are obviously in their own vacation bubble. Rushing from here to there trying to fit everything in. Pretty much ignoring basic courtesy to anyone around them. I hate seeing that. Not just at Disney but in every day life as well.

Then I see people offering to take pictures for families, giving up seats, etc. and it restores my faith that yes. Some people genuinely do care about others and would help them out for five seconds with a picture than blow right by them like they do not exist. And how hard is it to give up your seat on the monorail/bus to an elderly person, young child or a mother who clearly needs to sit after chasing kids around all day?

Open a door for someone. And come on now. Is is really that hard to say thank you, please or excuse me? Honestly.

We always strike up a conversation with a CM we are standing next to at a QS restaurant, in a ride queue, where ever. They genuinely seem to like it as it it gives them a break from the same deal, all-day-long.

Don't loudly complain about the wait. NEWS FLASH ... It's Disney World, there are a lot of people there and you know what? They're all waiting, just like you. They don't need or want to hear your loud mouth complaining about it.

I know my perspective is a bit different living five minutes from Disney and we are there nearly every day. However, we like to help other visitors who may not have the opportunity to go as much as we do. Or, even come back at all. I would hate for a family to save and save and save their money to visit here and go home with a negative attitude due to others behavior.

I love giving tips/tricks to people they may or may not know, making their trip a little easier or seeing something they did not know they could do or see.

We will always try and stop to take a picture for someone. We typically see the same family (not really but in theory) with usually the dad or mom who has the camera and you know they are taking all the family pictures on the trip and probably are in none. Offering to take their pictures with them in the photo may end up being their favourite picture of their FAMILY vacation, as it is the entire family, and it was because of you. If someone did that for you, I'm sure you would speak about them long after the ears have come off and your back to "normal" life.

Taking 10 seconds of your day to help someone out that could possibly mean a better vacation for them, doesn't really seem that hard to do to me. Being nice to someone is completely free. Negativity can cost you a lot more than you may every realize.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter