How do you pronounce "pecan"?

clm10308

DIS Veteran
I know that the pronunciation of the word "pecan" is regional, but I am watching Food Network right now and just saw a commercial wher Alex -whatever her last name is- making a dish with "pee cans" It really bugs me to listen to that.

Where are you from and how do you pronounce "pecan"?

I'm native to the Washington DC area and I say: pee-kahn, but the first syllable, while having a "long" e, is said quickly.

Pe-kahn as well. I've heard pee-can as well and its not all that strange to hear, but personally I dont say it that way.

In Texas we pronounce it like: pa-con. No long e. But the first syllable rhymes with ugh.

In Texas we pronounce it like: pa-con. No long e. But the first syllable rhymes with ugh.

This is how I say it and I've lived in Georgia all my life. I do hear lots of different pronunciations around here though.

Chicago and Pee - (like James) Caan

Maybe it's more P'Caan. I dunno. It's not pea-can (o-worms)

In South Tx we say puh-kahn

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

That's how I say in too (Texan). When I hear pee-can I know I am in the DEEP South. Where you hear 'Bless your heart honey' & tea is so sweet it will rot your teeth with one sip!!

From the South...
It's Pe-Cahn or Pe-con here!
(not puh-con... pe-cahn is the closest spelling to me)

Peeeek-n or Peeee-con sounds so weird!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter