How do you pronounce "pecan"?

And its the total opposite for me- I HATE when people say Puh Kahn- it sound so snooty!

I think so, too.

Alabama here (and before that Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee) and I say peh-kahn. I hate pee-can and rarely hear anyone say it that way except on television. Almost everyone I know says it either the way I do or slightly more like puh-kahn.

That's funny because everyone that I've heard on television say it pronounce it peh kahn or puh con. Paula Dean is the only person on television that I've ever heard pronounce it pee can, like I do.

Chicago and Pee - (like James) Caan

Maybe it's more P'Caan. I dunno. It's not pea-can (o-worms)

Me, too (i'm from across the lake in Michigan). The stress is on the second syllable. The first syllable's vowel sound is definitely a long e (no puh or pa), but not drawn out.

A canopy goes over the bed,
A pee can goes under the bed
and
pecans (puh-cons) go in pies.

;)

Puh-con and lucky enough to gather them in the parking lot at work. Growing up we had a huge tree in our front yard and I shelled more puh-cons than I care to remember for Christmas gifts.

That's how I say in too (Texan). When I hear pee-can I know I am in the DEEP South. Where you hear 'Bless your heart honey' & tea is so sweet it will rot your teeth with one sip!!

I pronounce it PEAK-an but I've heard it in every imaginable way.

Was at the State Fair of Texas on Saturday and wasn't sure how to pronounce it. I was afraid to make a mistake so I ordered a chocolate ice cream cone instead.

Jim

In Texas we pronounce it like: pa-con. No long e. But the first syllable rhymes with ugh.

In South Tx we say puh-kahn

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
:thumbsup2 I cringe whenever I hear someone pronounce the first syllable as "Pea" It's Pecan. Just by English language rules, that e should not be the long e sound. Of course, it really should sound like "uh", either, but I can overlook that.;)

Dh and I had this discussion last week.

pee-can unless talking about butter pecan ice cream then I pronounce it pa-kahn. It rolls off the tongue better ;)

I'm from New Orleans - puh-kahn.

Me, too, and I agree.

I would add that the emphasis is on the second syllable, puh-KAHN.

PEE-can always make me think of Billy Crystal doing the silly voice in When Harry Met Sally, "But I would be proud to partake of your pee-can pie."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter