• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you guys afford the POLY!

4 tickets via Frequent Flyer miles (booked 6 months in advance!)

3 adults (DMiLaw!) in room with our 1 child -- hmm, we'll see.

6 nites vs. 7 (doing a pre-visit nite at nearby Courtyard - using points to maximize park time vs. expenditures).

After visiting the Pop Century last year, I thought we should visit WDW every 18+ months and really enjoy ourselves (at the Poly, for example), rather than try to go every year and put up with a lot of compromises that make "our vacation" a hassle and not a vacation.

January 2006 - whoo-eeeww!

bigbabyblues said:
We could probably afford the Poly for our next trip, given that it's over a year and a half away, but it would require more working on my part to save for it, and that's too much time with my boys to sacrifice. We only go on vacation when we have enough cash saved to pay for it before we go, so it may be a matter of saving longer. My problem is that I'm too cheap to pay that much for a room, and so it DH.

I think it's all a matter of personal priority, as I'm sure others have said (haven't read the entire thread). We live within our means and vacation as we can afford, others don't mind putting a vacation on credit. All depends on the person, I guess.

I'm with you. We could afford it but are too cheap to pay for it! :rotfl: I would rather stay at a moderate and spend the extra on food and souveniers. With us, the majority of time we are in the room, our eyes are closed anyway. But I agree with many of the posters, to many, SUV's (I own one but I need 4 wheel drive as we average 115 inches of snow each winter) and expensive resorts equal affluence. I would rather be frugal, save my money and visit the deluxe resorts. :rolleyes:

bigbabyblues said:
I think it's all a matter of personal priority, as I'm sure others have said (haven't read the entire thread). We live within our means and vacation as we can afford, others don't mind putting a vacation on credit. All depends on the person, I guess.

Exactly and many can afford the Polynesian without putting it on credit.

Sammie said:
Exactly and many can afford the Polynesian without putting it on credit.

ITA. There always seems to be an assumption that those that stay deluxe put it on their CC and really can't afford it. Well guess what? There are plenty out there that have large houses, $50,000 cars, and no CC debt. And they make no sacrifices to get any of it.

bigbabyblues said:
We could probably afford the Poly for our next trip, given that it's over a year and a half away, but it would require more working on my part to save for it, and that's too much time with my boys to sacrifice. We only go on vacation when we have enough cash saved to pay for it before we go, so it may be a matter of saving longer. My problem is that I'm too cheap to pay that much for a room, and so it DH.

Ummm....just because I'm staying at the Poly doesn't mean I'm putting it on credit. I can afford it(not every year). My trip to the Poly which is 7 months away is already paid for so no credit here. I also live way within my means and vacation as we can afford. Believe me, I'm very frugal and spend/save money very wisely.

The range of wealth on this board is a huge span, as well as where people are financially--- amount of debt, mortgage payment (or no mortgage), part of the country you live in/cost of living, whatever. As Sammie and Skiwee pointed out plenty of people pay deluxe concierge prices and it barely makes a dent. Of course many well-off people who could afford the Poly do not go there because they are more frugal. So it is sort of an unanswerable question, how can you guys afford the Poly. But I guess what you mean is.... how do you justify the price (which is among the highest of WDW resorts) and do you make sacrifices to meet that price?

I never have the same trip budget twice, but my last trip (10th anniversary) was at the Poly. Mind you, it was the Poly, garden view, value season, with a discount... but it was the Poly. We just put away a little more for the vacation. But while we never charged anything for that trip, putting a little extra away for the vacation meant a little less got saved for our various saving goals. We had a great trip and a great splurge (we splurged on other things that trip too) but I would say the final bill was outside our comfort level for what I feel we should responsibly spend on a year's vacation.

My personal goal (we'll see if I stick to it) ;) is to put a ceiling of about $1200 for a 7 night hotel bill at WDW for future trips. Now officially this means the moderates, but I think I'm going to start going in late August early September; with the great discounts that always show up for hurricane season, that might get me a week in a standard AKL or WL room. It is also about the right neighborhood for renting a studio for a week from a DVC member. I can live with all of these options and not feel like I'm settling. As my trips to WDW settle into a yearly regularity I want to have an expected budget for each trip and not be seduced into big splurges (she said oh so responsibly, even while looking up DCL price quotes! :teeth: )

As I read this thread I keep seeing people ask how you can "justify" the room rates and the Polynesian (or any other deluxe) and I keep thinking if you need to justify it, then won't you just stress the whole time you are there that you are wasteing money? From my point of view as soon as you start asking the question can i justify and expense you have already answered the question and are just looking for a reason not to listen to yourself. I have always been amazed by the forsight of Disney to design there offerings to fit just about anyone's taste and budget.

We stay at the Polynesian because we truely love it - for us the Poly has become as much a part of our WDW vacation as walking down main street in the magic kingdom :earsboy: (we did try WL this summer and while it was very nice it just was not the same) Sure I would love to stay at the Polynesian for $99 a night but I realize that will NEVER happen LOL so we save and find a way to make it work.

ducklite said:
It comes down to priorities in life.

Instead of driving $40K SUV's, some people take more expensive vacations.

Rather than having lots of jewelry, some people spend more on vacation.

Rather than eating out regularly, some people cook at home and then eat like kings during their vacation.

I know this is how we afford to stay at the more expensive resorts.
After 30 years of staying at value resorts, we up-graded to moderates. 5 years ago we up-grated to deluxe, I'll never look back.

There are certain priorities in our lives, while my children were growing, raising and educating them was top priorties. We always stayed value.

After year or raising children it's just DH and I, we both still work, own our home, drive older cars the we pay cash for, rarely eat out, The money we earn is spent on our Grandchildren and Vacations. While there is nothing wrong with value resorts, at this stage in our life we like a little more comfort so we spend a little more on where we stay and less on items.

To the OP...
Maybe I read this too quickly this morning, but it sounds like the Poly for the entire stay is your DH's dream, not yours. If it is stressing you to come up w/ the funds I'd just tell him it is half my party too, and I want to stay someplace else for my half.

As for how people afford it...we all pick and choose where we're willing to spend money...I wouldn't dream of staying at the Poly...for that price I'd rather stay at Universal and get the FOTL benefit...anyway, while I'm not scheming to figure out a Poly stay, DH and I both drive SUVs...mine is a 2002, his is 2004...his is paid for, mine was 0% for 5 years, so I'm still paying on mine...but I'm 5'11' with a 35" inseam, and DH and DS are taller than I am...I refuse to be uncomfortable in a car...all three of us get professional haircuts, w/ regular color and eyebrow waxing for me...I'm a strong believer in plastic surgery, had my 3rd procedure this summer, have another planned for next year...I like to spend my money on things I enjoy ALL the time...fresh flowers for the house, new books, quality groceries. We go on wonderful vacations too, but part of my enjoyment is getting a great deal...I had a week at POP booked after our repo cruise...we had to cancel, DH couldn't get the extra week leave...but I was giddy about the stay at POP w/ the free dining...$1245 total for all three of us !!! Others don't mind and can well afford to pay the high prices of the deluxe...or if they can't afford it easily they scrimp somewhere else because that deluxe stay is something they enjoy...but if you're not going to enjoy it why worry about it ?

wide awake said:
We go on wonderful vacations too, but part of my enjoyment is getting a great deal...I had a week at POP booked after our repo cruise...we had to cancel, DH couldn't get the extra week leave...but I was giddy about the stay at POP w/ the free dining...$1245 total for all three of us !!! Others don't mind and can well afford to pay the high prices of the deluxe...or if they can't afford it easily they scrimp somewhere else because that deluxe stay is something they enjoy...but if you're not going to enjoy it why worry about it ?

ITA. It really does come down to preferences, priorities, and what you're comfortable with. I, too, am an SUV-drivin', professional highlight gettin', eyebrow waxin', eatin' out kind of girl who has a really bad shoe habit to boot (pun intended). But, for me, the best Disney bang for my buck is a moderate. I love the services, the facilities, and the theming. I'd rather stay cheaper at Disney where I feel like I get really good service no matter what "level" of resort and spend my money elsewhere -- like gas for that dang SUV. :earseek:

A bit off topic, but anyway:

In USA a Toyota Corolla CE 1.8 costs about 12,500$ in Denmark the same car would cost you 47,000$.

Gas price in Denmark and most of Europe is about 80 - 100 % higher than in USA.

How would you feal about paying that much?. Thats why i drive in a 1992 Toyota Corolla and chose to stay at deluxe resorts in WDW.

[QUOTE/]While there is nothing wrong with value resorts, at this stage in our life we like a little more comfort so we spend a little more on where we stay and less on items.[/QUOTE]

You bring up a very good point..."stages." Even though we can afford the deluxe resorts, we prefer value and/or moderates and it is mainly due to the fact that we a toddler who prefers the whimsical feel of those resorts. A deluxe would be totally lost on him! :goodvibes Though I'm sure that deluxe resorts do offer some things for children, it's still not the same. I prefer a more family-oriented atmosphere. That and the fact that my kiddos make noise and I wouldn't want to "quiet" them down in a more adult atmosphere. KWIM?

One day, when it's just DH and myself, we will take advantage of all that deluxe resorts have to offer. In the meantime, I'll continue to watch my child's face light up when he sees the giant Buzz, Mickey and Mr. Potato Head. :banana:

skiwee1 said:
ITA. There always seems to be an assumption that those that stay deluxe put it on their CC and really can't afford it. Well guess what? There are plenty out there that have large houses, $50,000 cars, and no CC debt. And they make no sacrifices to get any of it.

So true! That was us a year ago. Since we moved to FL and I left a high paying (but hated) job in NJ and took over a 50% pay cut for a job that I really like here in FL, we've had to reprioritize a bit. We can still stay at deluxe resorts, but can't spend quite as freely as we once could. For example DH and I used to decide on a whim to go visit friends halfway around the country for a weekend--a trip that required airfare, rental car, and hotel expenses. Now we think twice about spending $2000 for a 48 hour jaunt. we do still travel and enjoy life, but we've had to scale back from taking that type of trip half a dozen times a year to once or twice a year. We certainly won't go into debt to do so, anymore than we would go into debt to stay at WDW. Edited to add that since we moved to FL, most of our friends would rather come here to visit us than have us come to them LOL!

Just because someone charges something to a credit card, it doesn't mean that they are "in debt". The key is having the cash on hand to pay the charges when the bill comes. And I don't drive a $50K car by choice. Just see no purpose in doing so when a $20-30K car meets my needs. MHO.

Anne

My wife and I are working class people who live a basic no frills, but comfortable life. The only splurge we really do is when we go to Disney, we have to stay at the Poly. I've tried other resorts and they are nice but I really like the feel of the Polynesian. It completes the vacation for us and makes us realize that sometimes you really need to stop and enjoy life for awhile. We as a family are pretty frugal but how many times do you get to go to WDW in your life? I think if you can swing it without going into deeply into debt, why not and if you can easily afford it, then enjoy it even more! I would rather live modestly like I do 350 days a year and be able to enjoy a vacation at the Poly that my famliy will always remember.

If you're there you should enjoy it because life goes so quickly and before you know it you're at the end of it. I asked my mom to go with us to the Poly back in May to help celebrate my birthday and to vist my sister, who she doesn't get to see that much. She really enjoyed herself and I'm glad I pushed her to go. Last week she had what the doctors would call a mini stroke and you know what the first thing she said to me when she got home from the Hospital? I'm so glad you talked me into that trip because I don't think I'm going to traveling too much anymore. She loved being at the Poly with her children and grandchildren and you could tell by the look on her face. You can't put a price tag on something like that. One day my Disney trips will probably become far and few between (all good things must end) but I will always have those memories and it may sound corny but that's worth more than any nice car or any other material item I ever owned.

Eddie.

disneyfan67 said:
If you're there you should enjoy it because life goes so quickly and before you know it you're at the end of it. I asked my mom to go with us to the Poly back in May to help celebrate my birthday and to vist my sister, who she doesn't get to see that much. She really enjoyed herself and I'm glad I pushed her to go. Last week she had what the doctors would call a mini stroke and you know what the first thing she said to me when she got home from the Hospital? I'm so glad you talked me into that trip because I don't think I'm going to traveling too much anymore. She loved being at the Poly with her children and grandchildren and you could tell by the look on her face. You can't put a price tag on something like that. One day my Disney trips will probably become far and few between (all good things must end) but I will always have those memories and it may sound corny but that's worth more than any nice car or any other material item I ever owned.

Eddie.

You said it Eddie!

Sorry about your mom. I hope she is doing well.

I'm a single mom, and while I'm HORRIBLE at scrimping... we do manage to go to WDW 2x a year - this year was CR and Poly. One way I justify the spring break trip is... I'd have to pay for a camp anyway... :rotfl2:

I just wish I didn't have such expensive taste! Or my daughter would quit figure skating... then I could go all the time!

Oh, now I get it!

I've been wondering how people afford this too! My husband does very well and I was wondering why we have to stay at ASMO. Now I know! I don't work, I drive an SUV, I save aggresively for college and retirement and I eat out twice a week (once with kids and once without).

I guess my priorities are to live grand all year and skimp on vacation. OK now I feel better. It's just for a week, I'll take the bus ride and enjoy the parks and eat out when I get home too.

my4kids said:
Oh, now I get it!
I've been wondering how people afford this too! My husband does very well and I was wondering why we have to stay at ASMO. Now I know! I don't work, I drive an SUV, I save aggresively for college and retirement and I eat out twice a week (once with kids and once without).

AND you'll have money to retire on! good for you! Most people spend their retirement money on vacays...bad very bad. I agree - I must say I did love the poly when I was a kid (stayed multiple times) - but NOW - sorry 300 bucks a night for more than a couple days is too much? I'm with you...Id rather live all year long....Poly is not great enought to justify a years worth of scrimping. At least thats my take - others must feel differently.

Another method Ive seen people use - is maybe splitting their vaction...Like maybe only stay 2 nights at poly....adding 600 bucks to your vacation doesnt seem that bad and at least you get a taste. I think I might actually try this next time I go. We are staying at POR in 16 days!!!! whoo hooo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter