• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you feel about the following restaurants?

Ok, now I'm scared about Whispering Canyon. What REALLY goes on there? We've done the 50s PT and they usually leave us alone (thankfully). We're not ones to join in on games and really do enjoy being left alone. I know it's WDW and all .. we find ways to cope. But, if they do things like make us sing and such then I think we'd better book somewhere else. It's just the platter of meats sounded soooo good. Ugh!

How about skewers of meat instead?! I'd skip WCC and go to 'Ohana instead. Very yummy and entertaining, but no one will embarrass you. We're too chicken to even try 50's PT, so after reading this thread, we'll NEVER do WCC!

For your other choices:

Crystal Palace Breakfast: wonderful! We loved it. So bright and beautiful in the morning and very good food.

Rose & Crown (lunch): never been, but doesn't sound very appealing to any of us. Would be cool to do dinner and see Illuminations, though!

Kona (breakfast): the BOMB!:worship: We adore this. Only thing bad about it is it means we're headed home.:sad2: We always go for breakfast here the morning we leave. :sick:

Via Napoli (breakfast): never been here, but, after reading this thread, would very much like to go. :goodvibes I CAN say we loved Tutto Italia, though, and will definitely go back there next November.

Chef Mickey's (breakfast): we did this for breakfast on my DD's 7th birthday. We had fun, the food was good, I'm glad we did it once, but have no desire to go back. Too loud and crazy for us. And I wouldn't want to eat here with just DH either. So many other nice options (like Kona!).

Happy Honeymoon and have a great, safe trip! We honeymooned in Disney as well.......22 years ago!:lovestruc

Would LOVE to try Ohana but can't seem to snag an ADR. Tried 2 and 3 people ... nothing! I'm too chicken to try for 4 people, since we're only 2. So, WCC was our back-up plan for experience (never been to that resort) and food. We did the luau @ Poly last trip. Loved the food but hated the "show", besides it's 2 DP credits ... not worth it to do again.

To the person who commented about never going to 50s PT. We love this place. We've been there maybe a total of 5 times over the years. This is our first trip I am not making an ADR for it (we want to branch out to new places), though I will bet any money that we'll end up there for lunch at some point. The food is homey-delicious and FILLING! An entree could be shared and paid for OOP and you'll both still be FULL! Like I said, we have never been made fun of or teased there. They (the servers) tend to pick on fuller tables, not couples ... thankfully!

All the other ADRs I listed, I feel confident in them after reading all the posts. Thank you everyone!!!

I wasn't pleased with Rose & Crown - the food was just okay in my opinion.
WCC - word of warning - don't ask for ketchup. We did a late Sunday breakfast there. It was loud but enjoyable. We were actually left alone - except for the ketchup ritual.

This is our 3rd (my 4th) upcoming trip to WDW. Yes, we have free dining. Decided to forego the signature restaurants this trip since we're on the DP not the DxDP this time. We are 2 adults (40s), no kids - traveling alone (honeymoon :love: )We've never tried the following and are curious what the opinions are ...

The Crystal Palace (breakfast) - DH and I always eat here with or without the kids, we enjoy it and we prefer it for breakfast, and the food has always been good
Rose & Crown (lunch) - Good food and fun - the table are quite close, if the weather is really nice (cooler) sit outside and have a beer, very relaxing
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) .. REALLY curious about this one since I never see it mentioned anywhere! - We haven't eaten here in such a long time I can not comment
Kona (breakfast) - Tonga Toast :thumbsup2 - Great Breakfast
Via Napoli (lunch) - Can not comment we just haven't made it here yet
and Chef Mickey's (breakfast) - DH and I enjoy eating here as we are big kids, what not to love the Fab 5 are here. One thing is they will bring you OJ, you have ask for other juice choices not a big deal but for years I would pass on juice as I can not drink OJ, until 2 years ago the CM asked if I wanted another juice. I was like HUH!!... so now I know, not a big issue just wanted to put that out there for you.

Thanks! -- tonya.

Have a great time, enjoy and Congratulations on your Mickeymoon :cloud9:

We did Rose & Crown dinner and thought it was just ok. Only thing on the menu I liked was the fish & chips which I could have gotten CS. Not sure if their lunch menu has different options. Atmosphere was nice but not sure I would consider going here when we aren't trying to see Illuminations.

We did WCC for dinner.. our ADR was at 8:15 and it was packed. I thought we would have beat the rush but no, we didn't get sat until about 8:30. I'm not a big BBQ fan so I got a pasta dish that I did not like (very garlic-y) and my BF who loves BBQ got the skillet. He said the skillet was good but there was no sauce on it - he said it seemed like there was a dry rub on it. I got a chocolate milkshake. Since the shakes are bottomless, it definitely seemed like a pre-made vanilla shake with chocolate sauce mixed in because mine was not very well mixed. It almost looked and had the same consistency as a vanilla frosty from Wendy's - not a shake like at Sci Fi or 50's PT. It was good though. We had a table in the back next to the fireplace so we were out of the way, but it was still noisy with the pony rides for the kids and the servers yelling for ketchup. It didn't bother us, but not a romantic meal. We'd go back here though.

We did Via Napoli for dinner and loved it. The place is really nice. The pizza was good but its your standard coal fired/brick oven pizza. We'd go back here as well.

This is our 3rd (my 4th) upcoming trip to WDW. Yes, we have free dining. Decided to forego the signature restaurants this trip since we're on the DP not the DxDP this time. We are 2 adults (40s), no kids - traveling alone (honeymoon :love: )We've never tried the following and are curious what the opinions are ...

The Crystal Palace (breakfast) We love this breakfast, the food is always good and love Pooh and Friends (just look at my name), it is even better if you can score an ADR for before the park opens.
Rose & Crown (lunch) This one is o.k. for us, I do like the fish and chips meal but there are other restaurants that we like much better.
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) .. REALLY curious about this one since I never see it mentioned anywhere! This place is really fun and really loud, if you like places that do antics then this one for you. My family really enjoys the BBQ skillet and bottomless milkshakes. We have gone for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and we yet to be disappointed.
Kona (breakfast) Love the Tonga Toast :love:
Via Napoli (lunch) This was good, but I prefer Tuto Italia over this one. We did this on our last trip and I thought the pizza was good but very greasy, it made my stomach hurt.
and Chef Mickey's (breakfast) Very big disappointment for us, we are not Chef Mickey's fans (have dined there twice) because it is too chaotic, the service is very slow, the food was so-so, and the characters are in a rush. We have other character meals that we like to go to instead.

Thanks! -- tonya.

Hope this helps.

The Crystal Palace (breakfast) Love breakfast here
Rose & Crown (lunch) we enjoyed dinner here
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) .. REALLY curious about this one since I never see it mentioned anywhere! trying this on Saturday, actually
Kona (breakfast) Love breakfast and dinner here
Via Napoli (lunch) Love the pizza here--but be prepared it's NOT 'merican style Pizza Hut type pizza: it looks and tastes different.
and Chef Mickey's (breakfast) Breakfast here was OK --we thought it really was a somewhat limited spread on the buffet here. Fun to see the Mickey & Friends characters, but would not bother with this unless you're really into characters or you're staying at the Contemporary and want the convenience. If you're looking for a really good breakfast buffet at Disney, I'd suggest Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Cape May Cafe over at Beach Club.

Curious about something: is breakfast your favorite & biggest meal of the day usually? 'Cuz have to point out that using dining table-service credits for breakfast (and even for lunch) is the worst value for your money (even on free dining--you're either getting free dining or a room discount so the cost of the food/dining plan is actually built into the price of your vacation) The general recommendation is to use the table service credits for dinner (the most expensive meal at WDW)

The Crystal Palace (breakfast)- I hear it is really good
Rose & Crown (lunch) - fish & chips potato soup I hear are great.
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) - we went here on anniversary. They gave us free champagne & made us kiss in front of entire restaurant LOL amazing BBQ & bottomless shakes! YUM
Kona (breakfast)
Via Napoli (lunch)
and Chef Mickey's (breakfast) we are going here for dinner I hear better things here for dinner than bfast sorry

Thank you for all the opinions! So much to consider!!

The DH LOVES breakfast esp. buffets and esp. if they have Mickey waffles. (He's a 40 yr old that's mentally 12 sometimes :rolleyes1). Yes, I know the TS credit is not worth it to use on breakfasts or even brunch but it's paid for and I'm not really thinking in terms of "value" but rather in terms of experience. All the restaurants listed are ones we haven't tried yet. Also, I found in the past (we had the DxDP last trip) that having a dinner ADR every single night to be stressful. I want to leave some nights open, without ADRs, so that we can just enjoy ourselves and the evenings at the parks. This will also allow us to maybe get some rides in when others are going to or at their ADRs. We'll see how it goes!

The Crystal Palace ressie is for 850am on a day the park doesn't open until 9. Figure we can get there early and do the early-morning park thing that everyone mentions. (Didn't mention this before but we also have a 850pm ressie @ Tomorrowland Terrace for the dessert party during MVMCP, which DH has been saying he wants to go to but doesn't know about yet ;).

Am going to ditch the Rose & Crown (it was for 105pm - couldn't get an evening ADR all week we're there, believe me I've tried) and Chef Mickey's. Neither sounds that great if you're going for the food. Will look at the other options.

Keeping Via Napoli. We love and are hoping it European style pizza, not American. Also keeping Kona - can't wait to try the Tonga Toast and their coffee. Is the coffee bottomless or are we going to have to pay for each carafe we gulp down? Could get expensive!!

OK ... let me ask this ... since we're going during the Christmas season and I am booking some of these ADRs so that we can see other parts of WDW (Poly, WL) outside of our resort (POFQ), which ones do you recommend? We've done the breakfast buffet in the past at GF and do want to visit this resort. What is 1900 like at other times of the day (dinner, maybe)? Again, remember we're not doing any of the 2 TS meals this trip. Oh, and AKL is off the list - I showed DH the menus and he said nope.

tonya.

Ok, now I'm scared about Whispering Canyon. What REALLY goes on there? We've done the 50s PT and they usually leave us alone (thankfully). We're not ones to join in on games and really do enjoy being left alone. I know it's WDW and all .. we find ways to cope. But, if they do things like make us sing and such then I think we'd better book somewhere else. It's just the platter of meats sounded soooo good. Ugh!

We have stayed at WL a number of times, but have never eaten at WCC.

In the evenings that restaurant is SOOOO loud with the whoopin' & hollerin', (screaming and shouting), that it is uncomfortable just to walk through the WL lobby.

We were just party of two adults and they didn't do anything to us. The only thing that happened was my BF asked for a straw and she threw about six on the table. The table next to us was a party of about 10 with lots of kids, and they did the thing where if they asked for ketchup, the server would yell for ketchup and kids from all over the restaurant along with other servers would drop a bunch of bottles of ketchup off to them. A man at that table asked for another soda and they brought him a giant jug of it. That's about the extent I've seen. Every so often they do "pony rides" for kids around the restaurant with wooden ponies on a stick. So not too bad in the antics department, IMO.

OP, I've eaten at all of your picks and the only one that I wouldn't choose again is WCC---just not a fan of the noise, confusion and greasy ribs.:confused3.

Been to two on your list:

Crystal Palace was a fun breakfast. We had a pre-opening ADR, so we got the chance to take some AMAZING people-free photos in front of the castle! The food was better than I expected. Everything was hot and fresh. they were even kind enough to make me a plate of cinnamon-free puffed french toast (it was delicious! I probably could have eaten another plate or two. :lmao:)

Kona was a really yummy breakfast. DBF had the Tonga Toast and it exceeded even our high (Dis-boards fueled) expectations. I had the combo platter and everything was tasty (except for the bacon, Disney back..blech!). The other thing was we were able to get in and out pretty fast. (7:30 ADR and we made it to 9 a.m. rope drop).

HTH :goodvibes

Ok, have made some changes due to your comments read, but kept alot. Here's the latest list (which won't change unless I can score an Ohana dinner ressie somehow):

Le Chefs de France (dinner) - we LOVE the food here and it is our must go to each and every trip. Funny how it hardly every comes up in discussions.
Crystal Palace (breakfast)
Fireworks Dessert Party @ MK
Le Cellier (lunch)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner)
Kona (breakfast)
POR/Boatwright's (late dinner)
Via Napoli (dinner)
and Le Chefs de France (dinner) - yes, again!

Only 40 more days to go *sigh*

tonya.

The Crystal Palace (breakfast) n/a
Rose & Crown (lunch)n/a
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) .n/a
Kona (breakfast) Service wasn't that great when we went.
Via Napoli (lunch) LOVE THIS PLACE!!!
and Chef Mickey's (breakfast) So so. Its pretty costly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter