• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you feel about the following restaurants?

RetroPopArt

Earning My Ears
This is our 3rd (my 4th) upcoming trip to WDW. Yes, we have free dining. Decided to forego the signature restaurants this trip since we're on the DP not the DxDP this time. We are 2 adults (40s), no kids - traveling alone (honeymoon :love: )We've never tried the following and are curious what the opinions are ...

The Crystal Palace (breakfast)
Rose & Crown (lunch)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) .. REALLY curious about this one since I never see it mentioned anywhere!
Kona (breakfast)
Via Napoli (lunch)
and Chef Mickey's (breakfast)

Thanks! -- tonya.

I love Kona for breakfast!!! Tonga toast, Big Kahuna and Pineapple macadamia pancakes are delish!!! Had dinner at Rose & Crown and it was very good. We done Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace only because of my youngest.

The Crystal Palace is awesome for breakfast, especially if you can get a reservation for a time prior to park opening. It's a great way to start the day, walking through a practically-empty park, taking fun photos in the nooks and crannies at Town Hall, the Main Street side streets, and in front of Cinderella's castle!

Crystal Palace is so pretty inside-- light and bright and airy and some very artfully fun topiaries of the Pooh characters. The food is really good for a high-volume buffet service. The puffed french toast is basically fried dough dusted with cinnamon sugar... a delicious and totally justifiable reason to trash your diet. Pooh's breakfast casserole is peachy goodness, and the potatoes are great. Oh, and chocolate Mickey waffles! It's pretty much a breakfast-carb lovers fantasy.

Our server never let our glasses get half-empty, and the characters were energetic and superfriendly. Tigger loved my husband. It was just the two of us-- no kids-- and we loved it. It was definitely a highlight of that trip!

If you like barbeque, Whispering Canyon is the place. I can't say enough about how good it is there. It is also nice to see this beautiful resort.

I just ate at via napoli in October, my first time eating there and both my father and I thought it was outstanding. The service was great and the food was delicious! I had the pasta and meatballs and my father had the lasagna and both were very good!!!

Well I've only been to the World once, two years ago, but any way I liked Whispering Canyon. I had a big tender steak, my daughter enjoyed the meat loaf. It was a fun place and I think worth a try.

This is our 3rd (my 4th) upcoming trip to WDW. Yes, we have free dining. Decided to forego the signature restaurants this trip since we're on the DP not the DxDP this time. We are 2 adults (40s), no kids - traveling alone (honeymoon :love: )We've never tried the following and are curious what the opinions are ...

Rose & Crown (lunch)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) .. REALLY curious about this one since I never see it mentioned anywhere!
Kona (breakfast)
Via Napoli (lunch)

Thanks! -- tonya.
I would suggest getting a late reservation if you can at the Rose and Crown. Then you have the added benefit of perfect viewing for Illuminations. The Whispering Canyon is an adventure in laughs, not exactly what the name implies. Via Napoli has the BEST pizza! Chef Mickey's if awesome for characters, but can be a bit much if you're not a kid person.

The Crystal Palace (breakfast): Great for getting into the park early. Food is your typical breakfast buffet with mickey waffles and eggs etc. Nothing outstanding but not horrid. Fun to see the characters and a lovely building.

Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner): Super LOUD! Took my boys last year and we had fun. My oldest still talks about all the milkshake flavors. Food was good too. Going back this spring since DH is totally into the idea of the skillet.

Kona (breakfast): I was there once 7 years ago and it was good. I still hear only good things. A friend of mine and fellow Dis'er and her husband love it.

Via Napoli (lunch): This is our families all time favorite pizza. We go every trip and have a large pepperoni pizza. Just mouthwatering :)

Rose & Crown (lunch)
Kona (breakfast)
Via Napoli (lunch)

Thanks! -- tonya.

Have only done Crystal Palace for lunch and dinner....really liked it
Love Whispering Canyon, we try to go there each trip
Chef Mickey's breakfast is better than dinner but we enjoyed both.

Love Kona for breakfast.

Wouldn't go to Chef Mickey's (although breakfast is okay I think) - there are so many better choices for breakfast with or without characters.

Whispering Canyon - I am anti-WCC since I was made to ride a stick pony through the restaurant while singing one year (I am a good sport - in that I did it - but I was very unhappy and I'm not sure I will ever enter that restaurant again - and I'm one that enjoys the ribbing at 50s Prime Time, but my WCC experience was a little much.) I also think their food is not that great.

Via Napoli - we really enjoyed it and will be returning there.

Rose & Crown (lunch)
Kona (breakfast)
Via Napoli (lunch)

Thanks! -- tonya.

Only ones I can speak to are:

Crystal Palace (breakfast): We really like it our last trip and if you can get an ADR for pre-park opening even better. The puffed French toast is excellent and they do pancakes and omletes to order. It is a character meal with Pooh and friends in case you weren't aware

Rose & Crown (lunch): I'd actually recommend going for dinner and getting an ADR that will put you there during illuminations as they have a private viewing area. We thought the food was good (sticky toffee pudding is excellent) and that combined with the view makes it a good choice. On food alone there are probably better options.

Side note, they have a nice bar area that often has live entertainment (Hat Lady) so even if you don't go there for a meal, as two adults that might be something you would be interested in doing

The only one I can make a comment on is Via Napoli. It is very, VERY good and has now become a must do for us. We had the Prosciutto e Melone, Mozzarella Caprese, a pizza with spicy italian sausage (it's not on the allears menu but was on the restaurant menu last week), Tiramisu, and a vanilla gelato sundae that was amazing. It was SOOOO good.

We've never tried the following and are curious what the opinions are ...

Rose & Crown (lunch) - Unpretentious little pub with beers and fish and chips and a lovely view of the lake in the middle of World Showcase. My family loves it.

Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) - We ate here once not knowing it wasn't Artist's Point but had lots of fun anyway. It's more of a family restaurant, with games running during meal times for the kids and other wild stuff. If you're not into that, you may want to try elsewhere but the food is terrific.

Kona (breakfast) - I've heard the Tonga Toast is fantastic and (rejoice!) they have real coffee! We've only been here for lunch but the stir-fry is my favorite cheap but hearty meal near Magic Kingdom.

Can't comment on any of the breakfasts, because I don't like eating breakfast enough to warrant paying the prices- character interaction or not. That said, I would not return to CP or CM for the buffet dinners we did have.

We love WCC for dinner! We also love Kona for dinner. Rose & Crown dinner was pretty decent too. We liked having dinner timed at such a way we could enjoy Illuminations. :woohoo:

Never been to Via Napoli so cannot comment at all.

Ok, now I'm scared about Whispering Canyon. What REALLY goes on there? We've done the 50s PT and they usually leave us alone (thankfully). We're not ones to join in on games and really do enjoy being left alone. I know it's WDW and all .. we find ways to cope. But, if they do things like make us sing and such then I think we'd better book somewhere else. It's just the platter of meats sounded soooo good. Ugh!

I can only speak on Rose and Crown, and I woudl go back for the service but not for the food. Both of our meals were hot on top, but totally cold throughout (indicative of something that's been cooked hours earlier and just waiting under a heat lamp). I got the Sunday Roast and the meat portion was tough like shoe leather and yorkies weren't much more tender. It was rather disappointing, but our server was amazing and I'd go back to give it another shot if I knew I'd get him again.

The Crystal Palace (breakfast): We got there at opening so there was no line & the food was fresh & tasted good. We were seated at 8:05 & done with our meal by 8:40. We'd already seen all the characters except for Tigger by then, but we decided to wait for him. Loved it & would go again.

Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) .. REALLY curious about this one since I never see it mentioned anywhere!: Only had lunch, but loved the pork spring rolls, skillet & the chocolate cake. Service was great. Will be my first & last meal next visit... one of which will be dinner.

Kona (breakfast): Arrived about 30 minutes early & was seated right away. Food was all very good, coffee was excellent & service was great. Would go out of my way to eat here again.

Via Napoli (lunch): Mixed reviews... DH loved it, I just liked it. He had the pepperoni pizza & I got the spaghetti with meatballs. They could have kept the meatballs. Pasta was good though. Not sure I'd go back, but I definitely didn't hate it. Neither of us were overly impressed with appetizer or dessert.

The Crystal Palace (breakfast)-We really enjoy this, have done it quite a few times.

Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner) -Fun place to eat, Wilderness Lodge is beautiful and worth seeing alone. Have done their skillet, didn't love it, but it was OK.

Kona (breakfast)- My favorite breakfast! Tonga Toasty can't be beat!

Via Napoli (lunch)- Another one of my favorites! Loved it so much we went twice on one trip!

Chef Mickey's (breakfast)-Haven't been there for breakfast, but I wasn't impressed for dinner.

I'll just comment about WCC. I had breakfast there 2x. THe all youcan eatwas nothing special, but not bad. However they had a beef brisket eggs ben that was excellent. [my husbands & wished I order that] Whatever I got the 2nd time cooked to order was good, not as good as his. ;) Enjoy!

I can only comment on a few-
Crystal Palace breakfast - one of my favorites, hubby loves this one too (he's a Tigger fan). I usually book this one as close to the 'end' time as I can, because the food spread is great and makes a nice "brunch". Call me silly, but one of my favorite items was the peeled hard-boiled eggs. I love these for breakfast sometimes, and the "luxury" of having them all peeled made me eat one too many. :woohoo:

Rose and Crown lunch - I LOVE THIS PLACE. Every time I go to R&C, I have a wonderful experience, and the food is one of my favorites in World Showcase.

I am trying some of the other restaurants for the first time myself on my upcoming trip! I hope you have a great time!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter