How do you clean your house?

I couldn't imagine paying anyone something myself and wife can easily do.
We do a bit each day.....its not that difficult.
After all....if one has time to be here.....they got time to clean. Id feel lazy if i paid someone to clean my house..
But if iwere to have a housekeeper...she would be young and willing..;-)

I used to spend my life cooking, cleaning and doing laundry. I had a schedule. I tried to go with the flow when I was younger and just do things as the spirit moved me...and it worked pretty well...but as I got older, I needed more structure, so I kind of scheduled it all.

Now it is too much and I have someone else doing it.
While you may think you know me, you have no idea about my living situation or family under my roof. Marital status is no indication of home occupancy. Besides, who are you to judge? Are you paying my mortgage? Are you asked to pay my utilities? There is no square foot per person limit anywhere in the constitution. I have only given you the square footage of my home and number of bedrooms.

For those who think I am stingy in my pay, the home I am referring to is in Houston, TX and my wage is generous for the area. My housekeeper is a lovely lady and seems pleased with the pay and was thrilled with her Christmas check.
I do have a bigger house than you do, but we have to have someone here twice a week to get everything done and she gets $250.00/week, cash.

You really are lucky. Even though you house isn't really big, you are still getting a really good deal there!

I couldn't imagine paying anyone something myself and wife can easily do.
We do a bit each day.....its not that difficult.
After all....if one has time to be here.....they got time to clean. Id feel lazy if i paid someone to clean my house..
But if iwere to have a housekeeper...she would be young and willing..;-)

Are you my husband? :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I've never bought into the idea that just because one person makes more money than another person, the higher earner's time is somehow more important or valuable.

Really, I mean there are only so many summers. We're all going to die, no matter how much we make, so everyones time is equally valuable.

While you may think you know me, you have no idea about my living situation or family under my roof. Marital status is no indication of home occupancy. Besides, who are you to judge? Are you paying my mortgage? Are you asked to pay my utilities? There is no square foot per person limit anywhere in the constitution. I have only given you the square footage of my home and number of bedrooms.

For those who think I am stingy in my pay, the home I am referring to is in Houston, TX and my wage is generous for the area. My housekeeper is a lovely lady and seems pleased with the pay and was thrilled with her Christmas check.

Your location says Washington, DC which would seem to be more expensive than Houston?

Very interesting. I know people with homes smaller than yours in Houston and the surrounding area. Some of these people have people come clean their houses. They pay at least what you pay. Most pay more.

I am in Houston and the rate for my 1000 sq ft apartment is higher than Princess said she pays.

This thread has been fun.

I have a high-school senior, who is applying for colleges, and I am going to point out that if she graduates, she can hire a housekeeper!!

JennaDeeDooDah said:
:thumbsup2 ::yes::

I went to college and after graduation, I worked to support my family while my husband finished up his PhD in mechanical engineering. He now provides well enough for me to be able to stay home with our daughter. I take great pride in our home and the cleanliness of it. I love that I am the one teaching my daughter how to clean and that I am not raising her to believe that cleaning your own house is somehow degrading and beneath ANY person... including a person with a college degree.

Yes this:)

Lorelei Lee said:
DH and I hire a landscaping service to mow the lawn and do related gardening tasks. We suck at yard work and it's a huge yard. We also hire a pool service for the same reason. We can afford to have someone else do those jobs for us and we don't care to do them ourselves.

And I've managed to tell you that without telling you what I do for a living or how much DH and I earn. :rotfl2:

Yes!!!

NHdisneylover said:
I think YOU are completely missing the point. I doubt anyone here takes issue with someone hiring a housekeeper. The issue is the, for lack of a better word, snooty way you explained your position.

If you had said "I hate leaning and am lucky enough to be able to afford to hire a housekeeper, so I have no schedule) no one would have really cared.

Instead, you sounded very much like you look down on those "low value" people who do "manual labor" and feel you are better than them because you chose (and had some sort of circumstances that allowed that, not everyone even has that option really) to earn a degree in a field that pays well. You acted like you feel you are a better person than a housekeeper.

THAT is what people are responding to, and the point you are missing.

Exactly this:)

I am in Houston and the rate for my 1000 sq ft apartment is higher than Princess said she pays.
I thought what I was paying was low since I paid a similar amount for a small condo in DC, but after talking to my neighbors, my pay is similar to what my neighbor's pay in my subdivision. I felt it was fair since my house is the smallest on the block.

To those who I asked do I make her strip beds that aren't being used. Of course not! She does not change the sheets weekly in the guest room and does not scrub the tub in the guest ensuite bath. She does however freshen (wipe down counters, sweep, mop, dust) the guest rooms when no guests have used it during the week.

I provide all the cleaning products and supplies along with lunch.

As much as I'd love a cleaning lady, I can't even consider it until our never-ending home remodel is done. Even then I may decide to get a lawn care service for DH instead, he's dead tired on his days off so it would be nice if he could relax rather than worry about yard work.

Anyway, now that I'm starting college again (along with a full time job and 1 year old child) I'm going to try to have a schedule where I clean 1 room a day. As it is now all the cleaning happens on the weekends and it's hard to get it all done while chasing DD around.

Monday = clean both bathrooms
Tuesday = deep clean kitchen (mop, clean stove, dust/wipe down cabinets/fridge etc.)
Wednesday = clean family room (sweep, vacum area rugs, dust, general declutter)
Thursday = dust/sweep DD's nursery and change bedding
Friday = dust/sweep master bedroom, change bedding

The dinning room and living room are under reno so no need to worry about those, the spare bedroom I only need to dust/sweep once a month so I can fit that in easily enough someplace as needed. So I do probably 15-45 minutes of cleaning once a day 5 days a week (other than daily dishes) and my house should be good to go. That's not so bad.

Hire a housekeeper. There is no way I want to clean my 3200 sq ft, 4bed/3.5 bath house. I went to college so I wouldn't have to do manual labor.:confused3

Housekeeper comes every Friday, she washes all the bed linens and towels and changes all the sheets along with all the mopping, dusting, vacuuming, toilet cleaning and heavy kitchen cleaning,etc.

I load the dishwasher and wipe down the counters after cooking, but I generally try to make whatever "messy" dish (spaghetti, frying, etc) I am craving on a Thursday night so that the stove will get a nice cleaning before the weekend.

As many people have very nicely said, it's not that you hire a housekeeper it's how obnoxious you declare to be above doing the cleaning yourself.

Congratulations on having a college degree, I have a PHD but still clean my own toilet.

I would also add that the OP was asking for cleaning tips, since you clearly don't have any I'm not really sure why you're on this thread.

To the OP: I spend Saturday mornings cleaning my house so I can enjoy a clean house the rest of the weekend.

As many people have very nicely said, it's not that you hire a housekeeper it's how obnoxious you declare to be above doing the cleaning yourself.

Congratulations on having a college degree, I have a PHD but still clean my own toilet.

I would also add that the OP was asking for cleaning tips, since you clearly don't have any I'm not really sure why you're on this thread.

To the OP: I spend Saturday mornings cleaning my house so I can enjoy a clean house the rest of the weekend.

^^ Ditto this. Six degrees between me and my husband and we clean our own house. When we were both working we had a $$$ cleaning lady but now that I am a SAHM I do it myself. I spend 60-90 minutes a day Mon-Fri. My husband always comes home to an immaculate house and I am never cleaning in the evening or on the weekend.

I have a set schedule of when I clean what -- Monday is foyer, hallways, powder rooms, laundry room, pantry, staircases. Tuesday -- 3 bedrooms but not master. Wednesday -- bathrooms. Thursday -- living room, dining room, basement (playroom.) Friday -- master bedroom. Family room and kitchen are sort of cleaned every day; pretty much daily mopping/vacuuming of them.

We hate clutter and have a very streamlined home (e.g., no knickknacks.) We're neat people and definitely clean as we go.

Works for us.

prncess674 said:
If I make $150 per hour and it takes 6 hours to clean my house, why in the world would I spend the equivalent of $900 to clean my house when I can hire someone for less than $100 to clean my house? It would be a net loss of $800 to take pride and do it myself. I would be doing my family a disservice by wasting my time cleaning when I could be earning a far greater amount of money in that time. No, a degree doesn't always equate to more earning power, but in my case, I specifically picked a degree that would provide a lucrative salary and I choose to spend my money on housekeeper so I can spend my free time on items that I value more, such as spending time with friends and family.

On the flip side, I love grocery shopping and cooking. Yes, it is a task I could easily hire out and since I value spending time on those activities I choose to spend some of my free time doing those activities.

WOW, I really think you need to stop. Who really gives a cr*p how much you make, how big your house is, or how house cleaning is "beneath you". You may think you are the "princess", but you are sounding more like an arrogant, pompous (I don't want to say the last word I'm thinking because I don't want to be reported). This post was about how people clean their houses. If you don't clean your own house, then don't post. I think you wanted to post so that you could brag about your life. In your mind, you where probably thinking that everyone would be jealous of you. "Oh, you have such a big house, you make so much money, you are so lucky I wish I was you." <rolleyes>

My wife and I are college educated and make really good money and we do have a cleaner come in twice a month. This is not because cleaning is beneath us, it is because time issues. My wife and I work full time and we want more time to spend with the kids. We do our own cooking and laundry though. We have college educated friends that can afford a cleaner, but they choose to do the cleaning themselves.

Isn't there a point, when poster after poster has said your post is offensive, when you should just apologize and move on?

It's fine to have a housekeeper. It's fine to pick and choose what you spend your money and time on. It is not okay to put down those who choose differently and make unsubstatiated allegations about their educational status, etc.

Disclamer: I have worked only 2 days of the last 19 and obviously have too much time on my hands, because I'm spending way too much time in the DISboards and am thinking of things like how I can improve my housekeeping skills!

I am intrigued by the "Do you reuse your towels" thread and how it has progressed and it got me wondering how other people go about keeping their house clean. I feel rather inadeqate in my housekeeping abilities. I have a few friends that have homes that are always company ready and even greatly resemble model homes. Yes, they have kids, and No, I have no idea how they do it, but I am envious!

We clean the main floor (LR, DR, FR, Kitchen, Toy room, laundry room, bathroom, foyer) every week in one day, top to bottom.

We clean the 2nd floor (3 BR, Loft stairs and landing, 2 baths,) every other week. I would like for this to be cleaned weekly, but it usually gets bumped for weekend plans or a special project that takes priority.

In between cleanings: empty garbage cans, extra toilet cleanings, general tidying, my kitchen counters get cleaned daily and appliances get wiped down almost every day, spot cleaning/vacuuming as needed, special projects (organize a drawer, cabinet, closet, whatever)

The good part about this plan is that the weekly cleaning is a "family" responsibility. Everyone's involved. The bad part is that it kills the weekend and I have other ideas for "family time".

I am thinking about trying a "room/area a day" approach. I don't think any room can go more than 10 days without a top to bottom cleaning and I'd prefer it to be done every 7. So if I can consolidate my 14 areas into 7-10 and have a day by day plan, I think I can achieve this. (I'm not even gonna talk about the garage or basement!) However, I know my DH has no problem cleaning on weekends, but likes his butt parked on the couch every weeknight. I will be going this alone! I am thinking he can pick up a "special project" every weekend and he is getting off easy!

Since the kids are older, I am thinking they should be completely responsible for the toy room, their rooms and bathroom. They do most of their basic room cleaning anyway (minus washing the floors, wiping baseboards, washing curtains, dusting ceiling fans). The bathroom will require my assistance, but I think I'm going to try to turn it all (except the toilet and shower tile) over to them. Is this unreasonable? I can assign (chart) them a small daily task so they are also not spending their entire Saturday cleaning either. I am OK with their areas being on a 10 day breakdown/schedule. I will pick up toilet duty every few days.

This brings me down to 10 rooms and I think eventually I can consolidate a couple and make this a 7 day routine. There are certain things I can't figure out, though. Our 1st floor is almost entirely hardwood. Do I clean it all at once or room by room? Will I feel like my house is always clean or will it seem like it is never clean (because it's not all freshly cleaned at once)? Is this going to be any easier?!!!

So, how do you do it?

Not very well.

WOW, I really think you need to stop. Who really gives a cr*p how much you make, how big your house is, or how house cleaning is "beneath you". You may think you are the "princess", but you are sounding more like an arrogant, pompous (I don't want to say the last word I'm thinking because I don't want to be reported). This post was about how people clean their houses. If you don't clean your own house, then don't post. I think you wanted to post so that you could brag about your life. In your mind, you where probably thinking that everyone would be jealous of you. "Oh, you have such a big house, you make so much money, you are so lucky I wish I was you." <rolleyes>

My wife and I are college educated and make really good money and we do have a cleaner come in twice a month. This is not because cleaning is beneath us, it is because time issues. My wife and I work full time and we want more time to spend with the kids. We do our own cooking and laundry though. We have college educated friends that can afford a cleaner, but they choose to do the cleaning themselves.

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter