How do I pick a cruise level?

O-Jo

Mouseketeer
Can someone tell me where I can find room descriptions for the various levels of cruise points? I've heard it has to do with floor but have no idea what the differences are (if any) beyond that. Having never cruised before, all I know at this point is that we'd like an ocean view. I have no idea what makes one of those options better than another. Help! :)

And, we are a family of 4, with 8yr old and 3yr old boys if anyone has a recommendation.

Thanks so much!

We generally prefer middle of the ship, bow to stern as well as up and down. With more and more balconies, for just an ocean view we could be lower than we would prefer.

However, we've been fine in other positions, especially when we have an inside cabins. We booked the Member Cruiselate and have an aft balcony. I'm not crazy about that, plus it cost more. This is the most extreme cabin I've ever been in, so I will know more about it after the cruise.

I would stick to "middle of ship" for my first cruise.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I really recommend Passporter's DCL book - it was immensely helpful to us before our first cruise a few years ago - in terms of picking staterooms and many other items. I do not know how the book now compares with all the new ships that have been added in the past few years, or if there is a newer edition.

Agree on the book. We always book a 9 for the window and then try and upgrade for a cash at port. It is not always available but we went from a 9 to 5 on Canada cruise for $350.

Another vote for the PassPorter's guide. I found it extremely helpful for our cruise last November. In fact, I had the book open while I made our reservation!
We were on level 6, by the way towards the back-it had a full balcony and and was a very quiet location.
We has a wonderful time and hope to cruise again in a few years when our grandson is a little older. :)

There's a lot of information right here on the WDWinfo site, too including stateroom reviews.

I, too, prefer mid-ship since I like being able to walk to everything equidistant without having to use the crowded elevators, plus its a little more stable in case of rough seas, but that's me. Others prefer higher decks to be closer to the pool, lower to be closer to the restaurants and theatre, and whether you want to pay extra and how much extra for a window or veranda is up to you.

Room square footage and whether the bathroom is "split" or not is also a consideration. With four people I'd probably want a split bathroom, when its just DH, DS5 and I we're okay without one. Btw, DCL has some of the largest cabins in the industry from what I've read.

Oh, and cruise "points" levels describe the cabin of category. Categories of cabins are on certain decks and just tell you what the square footage and amenities are. Doesn't necessarily tell you where on the ship you might be, some categories span 3 decks, some are fore, mid, and aft, some are only mid or fore and aft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter