How do I keep my digital camera and camcorder dry on "wet" rides

lsteadman

DIS Veteran
The last time we went to Disney we didn't ride any water rides because I didn't know how to keep my electronics dry. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I wrapped my camera in a hotel hand towel, this helped with going in and out of a/c and humidity outside. Some places you can buy waterproof backpacks, not sure of the cost. But I didn't have any trouble with the video or regular camera and we went on several of the water rides. Good Luck!!!!

I suppose if you want to go cheap and if it'll fit, you could go plastic bag.

I put my cameras in the gallon size ziploc bags with the zipper on it. This worked really well and kept everything dry!

Originally posted by disnaholic
I put my cameras in the gallon size ziploc bags with the zipper on it. This worked really well and kept everything dry!

I second that! I bring a bunch of those bags with me each trip. I use them for the camera when I know I'm going places where water is a factor. I use them to bring ice with me when it's very hot. I put a face cloth in with the ice and use it to cool off with. I use them to store wet towels or clothes when I'm leaving the water parks or for anything that might be damp when I'm packing to leave.

They take up next to no space in the luggage and have come in handy time after time.

Roberta

I second the Ziplock suggestions!
On water rides like Kali or at Busch Gardens, I put in the baggie, close it up, and then hold it up a little above my head when the water gets rough.
The additional protection from the washcloth is an awesome idea. I never thought of that, but it's great! Thanks!

i usually use the ziploc bags. however last year (at USF)becuase of the humdity, being in the baggy, it ruined my digital camera.... i wonder if it would work if you put a hand towel around it and then used the ziploc baggy?
tinkandhook

I have a somewhat bigger camera than will fit in a ziplock but I bring small garbage bags. They lay nice and flat under the camera, in the bag for most of the trip but before going on a wet ride (you need them much more if you go to IOA) I put one around the bag and tie it tight. It works well.

For IoA, I leave the digital equipment back at the hotel and carry waterproof disposables. Its kinds cool to get pictures while ON the wet rides. This way I don't have to worry about having to leave my expensive camera in a locker or taking it on the coasters there.

For Disney, a bag or poncho around the outside of the camera bag is more than sufficient to keep dry on Splash and Kali.

We use those travel space bags. I keep one in the pack with the ponchos in it. When it rains, we take out the ponchos and put the entire pack in the bag and zip it shut. Then when it stops raining, we reverse the process. Ziploc now makes a 2 gallon bag, I think those would work great too.

Love the 2 (I think it might be a 2.5 gallon) bag!!! It's big enough that I could almost put me 3 yr old ds in it to keep him dry :crazy: I am the queen of the ziploc bags. I bring snack bags, sandwich bags, the quart size, the gallon and the mother load 2.5 gallon one. Once you start bringing them you will never go without...

Our digital camera is going to be in it's case, in my backpack, and the backpack will be covered by the 87 cent rain poncho I bought at Walmart!

Then the poncho can be used by someone else going on the ride or if it dries quickly, I'll fold it up to use again.

Karen

We picked up a great tip and used it on our last trip! We bought an inexpensive backpack and sprayed it with a few coats of Scotch Guard. We had enough space to carry everything we needed and even when those sudden rain showers hit, everything in the backpack stayed completely dry! It worked on Kali River Rapids as well. I liked this suggestion because wrapping a camera in a towel or putting it in a ziploc bag is too much hassle for me, I could just put in in the backpack and be good to go!

Has anyone else tried this and liked it as much as we did?

I'm looking at buying a digital camcorder for our trip and have had a couple people tell me I shouldn't take it on any of the rides. The motion of the rides may damage it. Anyone have a problem like that?

2plus2more

I also always take my Digital camcorder and have never had a problem that I know of.

I also recommend the waterproof disposables to take pics on the wet rides! But I always take my dig camcorder to the parks just brought a digital camera and can't wait to take pics in April with it!

Mal

I took my digital camcorder last October for the first time. I took it on all of the rides with me and I did not have a problem. I do not ride space mountain and RNRcoaster because of my neck so I do not know how those particular rides would affect a digicamcorder. My other camcorder has survived many rides on BTMRR though with no problem, unfortunatley, BTMRR was being refurbished on our Oct. trip.

Thanks guys. Think I'll live a little & bring it. Hey, if something does happen that's what insurance is for, right? :jumping3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter