How do I go about having the wave phones removed?? Can we??

Sue (mom of 3 boys!)

DIS Veteran
We don't want or need them, and I keep reading about people who have been charged $250 for them when they shouldn't have been. I'd like to avoid the whole thing and not even have them in the room. Is this even possible?

When they first introduced the wave phones, we didn't want them. I refused to sign to take responsibility for them (it used to be a separate sheet you signed when you arrived in the terminal) and asked that they be removed from our cabin. Well, we were informed that they could not be removed. I told GS that we didn't sign for responsibility for them and they still wouldn't remove them. They are now sneaky and the "contract" for the wave phones is on the online booking forms that you print out. So I am assuming that DCL is assuming by turning those forms in you've agreed to the responsibility for the phones. (We couldn't even put them away -- we intended to take them back out at the end of the week to charge them for the next guests -- but our cabin steward pulled them out every day and plugged them back in.)

We don't want or need them, and I keep reading about people who have been charged $250 for them when they shouldn't have been. I'd like to avoid the whole thing and not even have them in the room. Is this even possible?

I'm with you, I was getting a little nervous about this too.

We didn't have any issues on our Bahamian cruise with the Wave Phones, but i'm going to be super careful on this next cruise.

I saw there had been one post from someone whose son was charged $250, weeks after the conclusion of the cruise, for "water damage" to the wave phone. The poster said their son had never used the phone and never removed it from the stateroom.

They won't allow you to remove the phones, and responsibility for them is apparently part of the cruise contract now, so all you can do is contest the charge if they charge you - this will be much easier if you have used a credit card.

I saw there had been one post from someone whose son was charged $250, weeks after the conclusion of the cruise, for "water damage" to the wave phone. The poster said their son had never used the phone and never removed it from the stateroom.

They won't allow you to remove the phones, and responsibility for them is apparently part of the cruise contract now, so all you can do is contest the charge if they charge you - this will be much easier if you have used a credit card.

I believe after that post the op stated that DCL refunded their money after their investigation revealed the damage had been done by a previous cruiser. Moral of this story? When you get into your cabin, check and make sure they are working, and if not, head to Guest Services so you won't be charged. Then don't touch them if you don't need them. Hope this helps!:thumbsup2

They really are handy devices, though I wouldn't take them off the boat. We have a family of 6 in 2 state rooms who are usually split in 3 directions. We'd be a mess without the wave phones!

We used our wave phones a lot on our recent cruise.

We did not allow the children to have one, I had one my DH had the other. We could ring each other to arrange to meet up if we'd gone our separate ways. Our children were in the clubs regularly so if the wanted to come out before we collected them the CMs would text us on the wave phone. They are also a way of contacting friends on board.

We recently came back from the Dream and loooooooveeee the wave Phones. In the past it's been a mission to get in touch with the rest of people in the group, we had consider taking walkie talkies, and this time we were able to communicate with others in our FE group, also we had our kid in the O Lab so it came handy then too. I think they are a fantastic addition and as far as responsability...theres also the tv, and other stuff in the room, of course explain to the children that they are no toys and by no means allow them to use them, hey some parenal control here!!!!

I hope people doesnt complaint to much and DCL decides to take them away, we are looking forward to use them in our summer Fantasy cruise!

The wave phones are easy to ignore for the most part. However ours kept beeping if the battery was running low. Maybe we could have figured out how to turn them off but for some reason I never did.

We tried to use them with my parents as we were cruising with them. But similar to their cell phones, they could never figure out how to answer them. Unless they had my DD with them, they never answered them. :rotfl:

Most people on the cruise only use them to check in with each other. Only one annoying person was having a long, private phone conversation on them in the elevator and then got off (same floor) and continued this long conversation. It was like she hadn't seen the other person in weeks. :confused3 And yes, I double checked that it was a wave phone and not a cell. It was really weird.

What about just using walkie talkies to stay in touch with your kids? Does anyone ever do this? If you use wave phones, do automatically charge your account for the deposit on them?

LOVED, LOVED the wave phones. Great way to keep in touch. I loved that you could text each other. I actually found that the wave phone was very necessary on the cruise because of the size of the Dream.

As for walkie talkie we used it on one trip in 2004 and it was very difficult to find a channel that no one else was using. Lots of talking with other people....

What about just using walkie talkies to stay in touch with your kids? Does anyone ever do this? If you use wave phones, do automatically charge your account for the deposit on them?

They do not automatically charge your account for the deposit that I am aware of.....only will be charged if it turns up missing or damaged.

MJ

The wave phones are easy to ignore for the most part. However ours kept beeping if the battery was running low. Maybe we could have figured out how to turn them off but for some reason I never did.

We tried to use them with my parents as we were cruising with them. But similar to their cell phones, they could never figure out how to answer them. Unless they had my DD with them, they never answered them. :rotfl:

Most people on the cruise only use them to check in with each other. Only one annoying person was having a long, private phone conversation on them in the elevator and then got off (same floor) and continued this long conversation. It was like she hadn't seen the other person in weeks. :confused3 And yes, I double checked that it was a wave phone and not a cell. It was really weird.

I know this is an old thread, but I did a search and it came up.

I was wondering the same thing as bolded above. Can you and/or how do you turn the things off? On our last DCL cruise, I just unplugged the wave phone, but it kept beeping because the battery was low. Dh and I won't be using them, so is there a way to turn them off or have them removed from the room?

I know this is an old thread, but I did a search and it came up.

I was wondering the same thing as bolded above. Can you and/or how do you turn the things off? On our last DCL cruise, I just unplugged the wave phone, but it kept beeping because the battery was low. Dh and I won't be using them, so is there a way to turn them off or have them removed from the room?
We just turned them off and unplugged the charger and put them all in a drawer until the end of the cruise. The last night we got them back out and plugged in the charger and put one of the phone in it. With the other beside it.

wave phone fantasy 2014 27001 P1030851 1500.jpg

I think I recall just holding down the red button (to the lower right of the circle) until it turned off.

I don't know that I'd chance having the room host remove it from the room. You might not get one or both of them back and then you'd be charged.

I like the wave phones! I sure wouldn't hand them over to kids, but I find them super convenient to correspond with other family members/friends. And I have never, ever had any issue at all with being charged anything for them. Yes. I do know this is a VERY old thread…...

I like the wave phones! I sure wouldn't hand them over to kids, but I find them super convenient to correspond with other family members/friends. And I have never, ever had any issue at all with being charged anything for them. Yes. I do know this is a VERY old thread…...
I'm referring to being charged if you don't have the wave phones in your room at the end of the cruise.

Yep. I did know that, PrincessShmoo. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. :) The older part of this thread seemed to be about folks concerned that someone somewhere had been wrongly charged for the wave phones as though they had been taken at the end of the cruise. (Now I think I REALLY didn't make myself clear….. :crazy: LOL!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter