How can you tell it's the Captain

LoveMickey

<font color=red>Can't wait to feel the "wonder" of
This title was stolen from another thread.

How can you tell it is the Captain of the ship?

Something about the number of gold bars on their epilets?

Yes, you can do it that way. I prefer the easier method with DCL captains. I look at their name tags. If it says Captain XXX, he's the captain!

You can't tell just by the number of bars, at least on DCL. There are at least 2 officers that wear 4 gold bars, the Captain, and the Chief Engineer. I can't find my pics of the senior staff to remember if there are others (why am I thinking the Staff Captain also wears 4 bars).

I think the cruise director also wears 4 bars, but he (and anyone under his control) wears white bars instead of gold bars.

In the lobby they have an electronic screen that shows all of the officers pictures, names, positions and hometown. That way it is easy to identify them around the ship.

Like someone else said. Just look at the name tag. It will be a dead giveaway. If you want to look at the ranks the Captain does wear 4 gold bars but the bottom is fat, the other three just normal. I would post a pic but it is not of me with the Captain and I don't have permission from the person in the pic. Also the cruise director wears 4 thin bars and In between those bars are white bars. I have also seen officers with red, or blue in between their gold bars. Also some have symbols above the bars like a propeller, I assume that is engineering. The senior bridge staff have a loop in their top bar. So much I have noticed over 12 cruises I just never really asked anyone just observed.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I went to one of those "ask the officers" events on the dream, and as I was sitting off to the side, the various officers who were about to speak ended up standing next to me waiting to be introduced. I talked with the chief engineer and I asked him this very question. He said that you have to look at the insignia and the stripes.

Engineers have propellers
Ship officers have a loop
Cruise Director staff, and food and beverage staff have no insignia, but have white stripes between the gold stripes.

He is usually in the foyer taking pictures with the guests and Minnie. He usually has his dress blues on and goes by "Mickey". Donald thinks he's the Captain but really it's Mickey........:goodvibes

Actually it is usually posted and he can be seen roaming the decks .

Timothynt said:
I went to one of those "ask the officers" events on the dream, and as I was sitting off to the side, the various officers who were about to speak ended up standing next to me waiting to be introduced. I talked with the chief engineer and I asked him this very question. He said that you have to look at the insignia and the stripes.

Engineers have propellers
Ship officers have a loop
Cruise Director staff, and food and beverage staff have no insignia, but have white stripes between the gold stripes.

Beat me to it. Each division has different insignias to go with the stripes.

It would be cool if the captain wore a head dress much like Captin' Crunch did...that big blue hat with those feathers or something lining the top.....

It would be cool if the captain wore a head dress much like Captin' Crunch did...that big blue hat with those feathers or something lining the top.....

Have you ever noticed that the Captain's eyebrows are on his hat not his face.?

And, Cap'n Crunch has three gold bars, not four... He's actually Com'nder Crunch I guess!

He is usually in the foyer taking pictures with the guests and Minnie. He usually has his dress blues on and goes by "Mickey". Donald thinks he's the Captain but really it's Mickey........:goodvibes

Actually it is usually posted and he can be seen roaming the decks .

I think I remember Captain Tom on the 2008 WB Panama Canal cruise telling people that they were very badly mistaken if they think Mickey is the Captain as he was the master of the Disney Magic.

We met the captain while waiting for the elevator on the Fantasy, I cheated and saw his nametag and so that was how I knew who he was, but the funniest part of this was that his son was actually on the ship, he spends time with him during the summer months, and since he is 16 he can hang out in the Vibe, which is where our son spent his week. I asked him about his son and said our son has been hanging out with your son, and he said "is that good or bad?" :rotfl2: actually from what we saw it was good, very polite boy we met him the morning we left, he was standing in the atrium saying goodbye to all his new friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter