How can I use up these free tomato soups?

annsteere

DIS Veteran
Thanks to the great deal, I now have 20 cans of tomato soup. Besides soup and sandwiches, how can I use this?

I'm specifically hoping to learn ways to substitute the soup for tomato paste,sauce, diced tomatoes etc. But any good recipes would help too.

I do buy for the food pantry when there is a great deal. But, this one seems to be coming up often. At 5 cents per can, I'd like to use some to stretch the home budget.

That's a great deal that you got on the soup! But since you're seeking recipes, I'm going to move this over to the cooking board. I'll bet a lot of the cooks there have a couple of favorite recipes that use canned tomato soup! :)

Lots of the crockpot recipes use soup:thumbsup2 or if you're making something that calls for a lot of tomatoes use half soup and half tomoatoes (I wouldn't sub completely or you'll lose the fresh taste). You could use it instead of a thickened stock in shepherds pie, or add it to things like beef stews for extra flavour. Or try googling "storecupbard recipes"

I'm sure a local food pantry would love them if you can't use them all.

I often just substitute tomato soup for stewed or canned tomatoes in recipes. DD doesn't like the "chunks" of tomato but loves tomato soup. Things I use it in regularly are chili, tortilla soup (instead of the tomato paste it calls for), what my mother called "goulash" (which was just elbow macaroni, ground beef & stewed tomatoes), and even in my beef stew or homemade vegetable soup if I'm out of V-8 juice.

The one nice thing about canned soup is it keeps a LONG time! I go through WAY more than 20 cans in a year.

I make GREAT cabbage rolls and stuffed green peppers using tomato soup. You can google for a recipe, or I can post mine if you like. I have also been known to use tomato soup in my meatloaf when I was running low on ketchup...I just didn't tell anyone. If you mix a can of tomato soup with a little A-1 or worstershire sauce, it tastes as good as ketchip in a meatloaf! A friend of mine goes to a website like Allrecipes or something similar, and enters her ingredients in the search, and the site returns recipes using those ingredients. The campbells website probably has a few recipes calling for tomato soup.

I use a can in my meatloaf. 1/2 the can mixes with the meat spices and bread crumbs & other 1/2 of can goes on top.

I also would use it as the sauce to cook stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage in.

I'm sure a local food pantry would love them if you can't use them all.

Good thought. When these super deals come along I try to do them once for me and once for the food pantry.

Their part is easy--just drop off the soup. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to stretch our home budget with the cans for us.

I wonder if they can tell what the big special was on any given week. A few weeks ago, you could get 10 boxes of GM cereal for a total of just over a buck. I noticed that the food collection box at church had LOTS of cereal that week.

Just thought of a couple other recipes I use tomato soup in...American Chop Suey! Love it! It's comfort food. There are a million recipes out there but I always just wing it...ground beef, macaroni, onion, soup, cheddar...

The other is a beef barley soup...I will find the recipe if it interests you.

The other is a beef barley soup...I will find the recipe if it interests you.[/QUOTE]

Ymmm. Yes please!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter