How can I use up these free tomato soups?

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by annsteere, Sep 24, 2009.

1. annsteere

annsteere DIS Veteran

Thanks to the great deal, I now have 20 cans of tomato soup. Besides soup and sandwiches, how can I use this?

I'm specifically hoping to learn ways to substitute the soup for tomato paste,sauce, diced tomatoes etc. But any good recipes would help too.

I do buy for the food pantry when there is a great deal. But, this one seems to be coming up often. At 5 cents per can, I'd like to use some to stretch the home budget.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. aka-mad4themouse

aka-mad4themouse <font color="blue">Budget Board Co-Host</font>

That's a great deal that you got on the soup! But since you're seeking recipes, I'm going to move this over to the cooking board. I'll bet a lot of the cooks there have a couple of favorite recipes that use canned tomato soup! :)

4. MazdaUK

MazdaUK <font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><

Lots of the crockpot recipes use soup:thumbsup2 or if you're making something that calls for a lot of tomatoes use half soup and half tomoatoes (I wouldn't sub completely or you'll lose the fresh taste). You could use it instead of a thickened stock in shepherds pie, or add it to things like beef stews for extra flavour. Or try googling "storecupbard recipes"

5. okeydokey

okeydokey <font color=green>Frosty the Snowman scared me as

I'm sure a local food pantry would love them if you can't use them all.

6. piratesmate

piratesmate <font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t

I often just substitute tomato soup for stewed or canned tomatoes in recipes. DD doesn't like the "chunks" of tomato but loves tomato soup. Things I use it in regularly are chili, tortilla soup (instead of the tomato paste it calls for), what my mother called "goulash" (which was just elbow macaroni, ground beef & stewed tomatoes), and even in my beef stew or homemade vegetable soup if I'm out of V-8 juice.

The one nice thing about canned soup is it keeps a LONG time! I go through WAY more than 20 cans in a year.

7. Mic

Mic <font color=purple>They can take away my freedom b

I make GREAT cabbage rolls and stuffed green peppers using tomato soup. You can google for a recipe, or I can post mine if you like. I have also been known to use tomato soup in my meatloaf when I was running low on ketchup...I just didn't tell anyone. If you mix a can of tomato soup with a little A-1 or worstershire sauce, it tastes as good as ketchip in a meatloaf! A friend of mine goes to a website like Allrecipes or something similar, and enters her ingredients in the search, and the site returns recipes using those ingredients. The campbells website probably has a few recipes calling for tomato soup.

8. FormrCastMbr

FormrCastMbr DIS Veteran

I love love love to glaze my meatloaf with tomato soup mixed with worchestershire sauce!

9. luv2nascar

luv2nascar <font color=purple>You're a wizard Harry. And a th

I use a can in my meatloaf. 1/2 the can mixes with the meat spices and bread crumbs & other 1/2 of can goes on top.

I also would use it as the sauce to cook stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage in.

10. annsteere

annsteere DIS Veteran

Good thought. When these super deals come along I try to do them once for me and once for the food pantry.

Their part is easy--just drop off the soup. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to stretch our home budget with the cans for us.

I wonder if they can tell what the big special was on any given week. A few weeks ago, you could get 10 boxes of GM cereal for a total of just over a buck. I noticed that the food collection box at church had LOTS of cereal that week.

11. FormrCastMbr

FormrCastMbr DIS Veteran

Just thought of a couple other recipes I use tomato soup in...American Chop Suey! Love it! It's comfort food. There are a million recipes out there but I always just wing it...ground beef, macaroni, onion, soup, cheddar...

The other is a beef barley soup...I will find the recipe if it interests you.

12. annsteere

annsteere DIS Veteran

The other is a beef barley soup...I will find the recipe if it interests you.[/QUOTE]

Ymmm. Yes please!

13. FormrCastMbr

FormrCastMbr DIS Veteran