How can I surprise my kids with WDW trip?

i'll be at the world oct 4-12, pm me if you want me to send something, i'll be sure to bring postage with me. we are surprising ours ages 13,12,11 & 10, they think we are going to calif to visit family, they won't know till they figure it out which i'm hoping it won't be till we connect it atl to mco, i figure it'll go..."mom, why are we going to atlanta?" "oh honey, it's just a connection and it was much cheaper to take this route"... hey, no lies will come back to bite me... so they may just shrug it off till we board to ORLANDO....hellloooooo... oh my my my my my...it'll be good! So if we can pull it off when we board in hawaii, we may be safe...I am in stitches!! I can't wait!!

Now - that's what I call a direct route - Hawaii to Atlanta to California. :rotfl: Have fun pulling off the surprise! And, as everyone tells me- have the cameras ready to capture their faces.

i hope i can have the cameras ready... making them do a re-enactment just may not go as well, but what do i do... i'll totally get busted if i keep the camera out... hmmmm... to be so sneaky takes so much work:scared:

i hope i can have the cameras ready... making them do a re-enactment just may not go as well, but what do i do... i'll totally get busted if i keep the camera out... hmmmm... to be so sneaky takes so much work:scared:

It takes a lot more work than I thought it would. There have been so many times I've wanted to let it sneak out but then I think of what their faces will look like. In terms of cameras, my kids know I frequently carry mine with me and keep it in my purse when we're out doing stuff. I take it out lots of times to take candid pics of them.

My first post! princess:

We're giving the kids the trip as a Christmas present, but going three weeks later when the park isn't so crowded. I'm planning to do a scavenger hunt all over the house on Christmas morning - having them collect puzzle pieces as they go. When they've got all the pieces, they can put the puzzle together. I found a Phineas & Ferb poster at the Disney store for $4.50 that I'm going to write the message on and then cut into a puzzle. It's their favorite show and it won't give it away while they're collecting pieces - not like a Mickey puzzle piece would. My kids are 6 & 9 and they'd figure it out too quick. If your kids are younger, the Disney Store has placemats (Mickey, Tigger, etc) that would be great to cut into pieces for a puzzle - and very easy to put together, too. I searched on yahoo for "scavenger hunt clues" and found a bunch that I could adapt for my hunt.

I asked about Disney Dollars at the Disney Store two weeks ago - I thought they'd make great Christmas presents from aunts & uncles, etc. She showed them to me - they come in $1, $5 and $10 and you can only get them at a Disney Store - not online. I'm asking a select few to get them Disney Dollars, so they'll still get presents, too.

We are suprising our DD for our upcoming Feb trip right before we get on the plane!

DH travels to Orlando alot for business, so we are going to tell her that daddy has to go to Orlando again and we will take him to the airport as usual. DH and I will have the car packed up with everything already, so we can just go in the morning. Once we get to the airport, I will pull out the camcorder and say I want to get some video of daddy before he leaves. DH will then ask DD to help him get his suitcase out of the trunk. Once they open the trunk, she will see our "mickey" luggage (that we only use for Disney trips) and probably ask why our mickey luggage is packed. Daddy will then tell her that he can't stand another trip away from us, so we are all going to Orlando, and btw, daddy really doesn't have to work, it is a vacation to Disney World! She will freak out :laughing:

Good luck with what you decide. I am going to head over to the Disney store and pick up some t-shirts to take with us. Hopefully I can keep them hidden for the next 5 months!

My first post! princess:

We're giving the kids the trip as a Christmas present, but going three weeks later when the park isn't so crowded. I'm planning to do a scavenger hunt all over the house on Christmas morning - having them collect puzzle pieces as they go. When they've got all the pieces, they can put the puzzle together. I found a Phineas & Ferb poster at the Disney store for $4.50 that I'm going to write the message on and then cut into a puzzle. It's their favorite show and it won't give it away while they're collecting pieces - not like a Mickey puzzle piece would. My kids are 6 & 9 and they'd figure it out too quick. If your kids are younger, the Disney Store has placemats (Mickey, Tigger, etc) that would be great to cut into pieces for a puzzle - and very easy to put together, too. I searched on yahoo for "scavenger hunt clues" and found a bunch that I could adapt for my hunt.

I asked about Disney Dollars at the Disney Store two weeks ago - I thought they'd make great Christmas presents from aunts & uncles, etc. She showed them to me - they come in $1, $5 and $10 and you can only get them at a Disney Store - not online. I'm asking a select few to get them Disney Dollars, so they'll still get presents, too.

We are also surprising them on Christmas day with a January trip, but are still figuring out how to do it. I am putting a big box together of Disney Stuff that includes a countdown chain and those really cool treasure/park maps you can order off the WDW website - they are personalized and say "The XXX Family's Disney Trip" or something like that - I've had them for months in a box in the basement! And they were free!! Also included will be autograph books, Epcot WS passports if I can get the ahead of time, The Birnbaum guide for kids, and one of those journal/scrapbook/guidebooks you can get online for my DD9. And, disposable cameras for all. They usually get TONS of gifts from the grandparents, so I figure they'll open those and their stockings, and we will say "just one more gift..." and they will open the big box wrapped in Disney paper, and SURPRISE! Although I'm now thinking about a scavenger hunt along with that - to look for the box- maybe clues in the stockings??

Another thing I thought of was hiding helium disney balloons in the box so that when they open the box, balloons will float up, and each have part of the message attached: WE'RE - GOING - TO - DISNEYWORLD!:cheer2:

We've been planning our Jan 09 trip since Jan 08, so we've had LOTS of time to think about it!!!!!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

We are also surprising them on Christmas day with a January trip, but are still figuring out how to do it. I am putting a big box together of Disney Stuff that includes a countdown chain and those really cool treasure/park maps you can order off the WDW website - they are personalized and say "The XXX Family's Disney Trip" or something like that - I've had them for months in a box in the basement! And they were free!! Also included will be autograph books, Epcot WS passports if I can get the ahead of time, The Birnbaum guide for kids, and one of those journal/scrapbook/guidebooks you can get online for my DD9. And, disposable cameras for all. They usually get TONS of gifts from the grandparents, so I figure they'll open those and their stockings, and we will say "just one more gift..." and they will open the big box wrapped in Disney paper, and SURPRISE! Although I'm now thinking about a scavenger hunt along with that - to look for the box- maybe clues in the stockings??

Another thing I thought of was hiding helium disney balloons in the box so that when they open the box, balloons will float up, and each have part of the message attached: WE'RE - GOING - TO - DISNEYWORLD!:cheer2:

We've been planning our Jan 09 trip since Jan 08, so we've had LOTS of time to think about it!!!!!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Disney Tigers,

I LOVE the helium balloons idea, think I'll try to pull that one off too. And I also love the personalized map idea. Do you know if they still offer them? I was on the site, but didn't find them. But I'm not sure I looked in the right places. Could you let me know how you got them, please? Thanks so much for more great ideas to incorporate into our surprise! This is sooo much fun!:banana:

Disney Tigers,

I LOVE the helium balloons idea, think I'll try to pull that one off too. And I also love the personalized map idea. Do you know if they still offer them? I was on the site, but didn't find them. But I'm not sure I looked in the right places. Could you let me know how you got them, please? Thanks so much for more great ideas to incorporate into our surprise! This is sooo much fun!:banana:

Go to the Disney World website and click on "my vacation." You'll see the link there.

Go to the Disney World website and click on "my vacation." You'll see the link there.

Thanks Sherri! I was just coming back to post that I found it! LOL Sometimes it just takes me a while, ya' know?! :upsidedow

Now I ordered them. For those of you who've ordered them in the past, do they come closer to the 2 weeks delivery time or the 4 weeks? I'm hoping to surprise them in 2-3 weeks, so I'm just wondering if I can be hopeful they'll be here by then.

Getting so excited!!! And I'm sure my kids will be too, when they finally know! :dance3: It's so funny because my 4 year old keeps asking every few days, "When can we go to Disney World?!" My older kids keep telling her hopefully next year, so it will be a great surprise when they find out how soon it really will be.

Thanks Sherri! I was just coming back to post that I found it! LOL Sometimes it just takes me a while, ya' know?! :upsidedow

Now I ordered them. For those of you who've ordered them in the past, do they come closer to the 2 weeks delivery time or the 4 weeks? I'm hoping to surprise them in 2-3 weeks, so I'm just wondering if I can be hopeful they'll be here by then.

Getting so excited!!! And I'm sure my kids will be too, when they finally know! :dance3: It's so funny because my 4 year old keeps asking every few days, "When can we go to Disney World?!" My older kids keep telling her hopefully next year, so it will be a great surprise when they find out how soon it really will be.

I can't remember specifically how long they took but they didn't take too long.

We are also surprising the kids. They know they are getting 1 gift from me for Christmas, they just don't know what yet. I too am thinking of telling them soon so they can help in the planning, since they are 10 and 11. I already know how I am going to do it:
I am wrapping up a pair of shoes for each of them. In the bottom of the shoebox is a note saying we are going to Disneyworld in big letters. All the details at the bottom of the note. At first they will be thinking, what a rip, 1 present and it's shoes........then I will ask them if that's all that's in the box..... well, I will for sure be video taping this gift opening :)

Ohhh surprises are so much fun!
For mom & dad knowing how excited the kids will be and for the kids getting a dream come true :)

We surprised DD several years ago. We had a trip planned with my parents who live in PA and we in NC. My DD had noooo idea what was going on, I just took her to lunch the day before we were leaving for WDW, and "accidentally" ran into my parents at the restaurant. Oh my gosh her face and reaction were priceless!
She was floored that grandma and grandpa were here and nobody told her, that was exciting enough. Then when she asked them what they were doing here, they said "we're going to WDW tomorrow... Want to go?"

She started screaming and jumping up and down and the whole restaurant clapped and cheered!!!
I'd like to surprise her again, it would be easy to plan and get her ideas on where shed like and to do to eat since we talk about wdw almost daily, lol
But shes older now so I'd like to surprise her w bringing a friend she didnt know about.

Good luck on whatever you decide, you have lots of fun ideas to choose from :)

Ohhh surprises are so much fun!
For mom & dad knowing how excited the kids will be and for the kids getting a dream come true :)

We surprised DD several years ago. We had a trip planned with my parents who live in PA and we in NC. My DD had noooo idea what was going on, I just took her to lunch the day before we were leaving for WDW, and "accidentally" ran into my parents at the restaurant. Oh my gosh her face and reaction were priceless!
She was floored that grandma and grandpa were here and nobody told her, that was exciting enough. Then when she asked them what they were doing here, they said "we're going to WDW tomorrow... Want to go?"

She started screaming and jumping up and down and the whole restaurant clapped and cheered!!!
I'd like to surprise her again, it would be easy to plan and get her ideas on where shed like and to do to eat since we talk about wdw almost daily, lol
But shes older now so I'd like to surprise her w bringing a friend she didnt know about.

Good luck on whatever you decide, you have lots of fun ideas to choose from :)

What a wonderful way to do the surprise.

Well, I couldn't keep it in any longer and we decided to surprise the kids yesterday with the news. I just wanted to fill you all in on what I did and how it went since you were so helpful with so many great ideas...

I got a washing machine box from a local appliance repair store. In the bottom I placed 3 wrapped boxes containing a few Disney related things I'd collected for the trip for each kid- Mickey tees, canteens (found these great drink holders at ShopRite with various Dis characters - princesses, Cars, HSM), autograph books, and the journals you can print at mousesavers.com. On top of the wrapped boxes, I placed the Disney maps they make personalized for your family and the Birnbaum's for Kids guide to Disney so they'd see them first. Also inside the box, I place several helium balloons, one giant Mickey head (for DS), 2 princess ones (for DDs), and 3 latex ones. I didn't even bother wrapping the giant box. When they came home from school they saw the box sitting in the living room. I didn't want them to open it until DH got home (which usually is quite soon after the kids do...) so I told them it was something I ordered, but wanted to return, so don't touch it. A few minutes later DH got home and I told him in front of the kids that I wanted him to see the "item I had ordered" in case he didn't want me to return it. I then asked the kids to open it for him so he could see it. It was very hard to be discreet with the camera, though, since they didn't know it was for them!

Anyway, they opened the box and the balloons came out everywhere as planned. DS (9) picked up the maps and guide, completing not noticing what they were, and put them down. He went right for the wrapped box with his name on it. DDs (6 & 4) followed suit. They opened their boxes and just weren't "getting it". I asked DD (6) to read to me what the journal said. She read the title, got sad looking, and said, "Does that mean I can only use this at Disney World?" Meaning, since we're not going, it's of no use to me! Then DH chimed in, "Why do think Mommy would get you all this stuff that can only be used in Disney World?" Finally DS started to figure it out and said, "Because we're going there?!" We said yes, then DD (6) said, "Today?!" When we said it wouldn't be for 3 more weeks, she was devastated. Then DS asked if we were flying (they never have, but DD (6) has been wanting to for some time) and I told them we were driving. Then DD (6) started to cry! :sad1: She also said she was crying because I lied to her and told her the box was something I was sending back instead of for them. I thought I was going to cry! I had to explain that I was just trying to surprise them, but felt guilty that she considered it lying. :guilty: DD (4) and DS were quite excited once it finally sunk in, but DD (6) kept crying and complaining about everything. It just didn't go the way I had hoped. Apparently, DD was just very tired from the long weekend and the first day back at school and hasn't been feeling too well, so it just didn't make her happy at the time.

Of course, a few hours later, after looking through the guide book (she even cried about not wanting to go on a ride that sounded scary to her - Jungle cruise - because of the fake croc and the fact that it was a boat ride, but I assured her she didn't have to go on any ride that scared her...) and at the maps, they were fully energized and dancing around with the balloons, even DD that had been crying. :dance3: So now I brace myself for hearing from DD (4) everyday until then, "Is it this day we go to Disanee Wirld?" DD (6) seems much happier today and is already counting down mentally knowing it is one less day we have to wait.

So, even though, they didn't figure it out like I had expected, and DD was crying on and off, I'm so happy it's not a secret anymore. I can talk with them about it and we'll be pouring over the guide and planning for their favorites. I'm making a countdown calendar too, and hope to finish that in a day or so and it will have Disney activities to do each day until then. I'll try to post some pics of it if I can figure it out, and some of them opening the box. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE GREAT IDEAS!!! I incorporated many of them and wish I could've used even more.:flower3:

Ok, I finally know how to post pics on my posts, so here are some pics of the surprise, including my dejected DD (6). I will be able to look back and laugh at how this didn't go the way I had hoped some day, maybe soon!

100_4841.jpg

100_4847.jpg

100_4849.jpg

100_4855.jpg

100_4857_edited-1.jpg

Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing your joy. :hug: When you guys first arrive at the gates... that is when your heart will smile... don't you worry. :yay: I am happy for you! I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about when your family arrives... there won't be any sad tears... though you might cry tears of joy! :lovestruc Have a magnificent vacation! :banana:

All these stories and ideas are great!

I have never done it myself, but I know of two (not quite as fun as the ones already posted).

A friend of mine and her husband bought t-shirts and put them in bags. When the kids woke in the morning they gave them each a bag and told them they had to wear what was in them that day. (she had already packed suitcases the night before while the kids were asleep) Of course, when the 3 kids opened the bags they were so excited.

My brother and SIL woke their 2 girls up early in the morning (ages 3 & 6) and asked them if they wanted to to WDW that day! Being that young, they did't want to tell them any earlier because they were afraid the girls would get too excited and wouldn't sleep, etc. What a way to wake up. "Do you want to go to WDW today? Ok, let's go!"

Ok, I finally know how to post pics on my posts, so here are some pics of the surprise, including my dejected DD (6). I will be able to look back and laugh at how this didn't go the way I had hoped some day, maybe soon!

Sorry to hear it didn't go completely the way you planned but it will all be worth it when you go there. Thanks for posting the pics.

Awwww...too bad it didn't go better with your 6 year old.

I have a trip planned in 15 days. I haven't told my younger children yet (8 & 9). I plan on leaving a list of chores for the kids to do while I'm a work. I'll do this on the day before we leave. When I get home from work that night, I'll tell the kids since they did such a great job on their chores (and they usually do, so let's hope they continue...lol) that their reward is a trip to WDW.

I'm trying to get as much packed as possible right now, but it's hard to hide everything because my kids are older. I've got their backpacks for the plane packed and hidden. We have to pack the night before because the plane leaves early the next morning.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter