Housekeeping stepped on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygirl1024

Earning My Ears
I had my laptop slid underneath the bed but apparently not far enough. I come back from MK today and there is a nice V shaped crack in my screen. There is a shoeprint on the top of it (no one in our gang has this design on our shoes). My husband called the front desk but no one as of yet has called us back. Should I walk it down there? I know I should have put it up but I didn't think someone would step on it. Should they be held responsible?

Sorry that happened. Personally, if I had it out of sight under the bed skirt where someone could step on it, I would consider the fault mine.

Can't help you about holding them responsible but you are right--you shouldn't have left it on the floor.

Your homeowners insurance MAY cover it, I doubt that trip insurance would!

and I have to agree with some of the other posters, very bad place to put it.

We put ours in the room safe. If it was too big, we would put it in one of the suitcases and lock it.

Good luck!

(and I don't think WDW would be responsible for that!)

They must know they stepped on it. You don't step on something that big without noticing. They should have said something to someone. Let us know what they say.

Sorry that happened but leaving laptop on floor and just out of site. I think the mistake is leaving it on the floor. I myself have always left it on the desk or nightstand depending on the room I'm in. Never had a problem. But if worried about theft lock in suitcase.

I had my laptop slid underneath the bed but apparently not far enough. I come back from MK today and there is a nice V shaped crack in my screen. There is a shoeprint on the top of it (no one in our gang has this design on our shoes). My husband called the front desk but no one as of yet has called us back. Should I walk it down there? I know I should have put it up but I didn't think someone would step on it. Should they be held responsible?

Um NO. If you're gonna leave the laptop on the floor, partially obscured by whatever bed linens are hanging over the edge, where people walk then you're going to have to take the chance of it getting stepped on. If they walked over to the bed to make it how are they supposed to know your laptop is even there. They don't do a under the bed check before stepping into the area.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that Disney is at fault for here. In fact, I'm looking at my trip info right now, and it clearly states that "Disney. . .shall at no time be liable or responsible in any way for any loss, injury, or damage caused. . ."I'm afraid the best thing to do is file with your homeowners insurance. But I also must state that if the homeowners insurance finds you negligent (and they just might), you may not get anything from them, either. This is why I lock my laptop in my suitcase (too big for the safe) and lock the suitcase to the clothing rack with a bicycle chain.

Sorry this happened - but it doesn't sound like housekeeping should be responsible to me. Of course they are going to be steping around the edges of the bed - they make it. If I were a housekeeper I would never expect a laptop to be just under the edge of the bed.

No, they should not be held responsible. All valuables should be put in a safe place. Under a bed is not a safe place.

Also, another thing is what remind people all the time. When you "call the front desk" you are not really calling the front desk, but rather a call center. I hate this happened to you, but I don't think Disney is at fault. Kind of like the shopping carts in a parking lot. If one hits your car, the store is not responsible.

Sorry, but Disney is not responsible at all. You left it under the bed ,on the floor within stepping range.You can not expect them to pay for it.

I also agree with the above posters...You are responsible not Disney.

It is a pain in the neck if you do it more than once or twice, but the best bet for valuables that wont fit in the safe is to take them to the front desk and have them hold the item while you are out and about.

Hi OP,
Ok, so here's the thing: yesterday my four year old left her favorite Barbie on the floor. Her dad tromped through the house with his work boots on and arms full of stuff, didn't see it, stepped on it and its head popped off. She cried "Daddy broke Barbie" and we just told her that when she doesn't take good care of her things, bad things happen.

Moral of the story: be smarter than a 4 year old. You leave something on the floor, you risk it getting stepped on. :thumbsup2

Best,
FussyMonkey

Sorry to hear about your laptop. Same thing happened to us when we were at another hotel ( Great Wolf Lodge). The computer was actually in a rolling backpack made for computers. I had it next to our bed. When we came back in to the room I went to use it. It had a crack in the screen. no one else had been in our room except housekeeping. Sorry to say but we did have to replace it our self.

I am sorry about the damage to your laptop but I too feel like the others here Disney is in absolutely no way responsible for the damage in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter