Hotel/Transportation Before Alaska Cruise

DL2013

Earning My Ears
My family is planning an Alaska cruise for 2014. The Wonder departs on a Monday so we will have a full weekend in Vancouver. Anybody have any recommendations on hotel and how to get to the port without a car?

We stayed at the Pan Pacific - not cheap but they had some specials on their website. We took a town car from the airport. We took the elevator downstairs to get to the ship. We saw the Wonder dock from our room and the hotel bell services took our luggage to the ship for us. The mass transit train is very near. There is food across the street. We loved the location.

We go next month!

We are flying into Seattle and taking the Amtrak to Vancouver. It's cheaper than flying into Vancouver and we get to explor two cities on our way.

We will take the sky train from the Amtrak station which should get us pretty near the Pan Pacific. Yes, it is expensive, but most hotels in Vancouver seem expensive to me.

The Pan Pacific is just so convenient to the cruise terminal - and seems to be a great home base for exploring the city.

Has anyone stayed at the pan pacific after disembarking? If so, did the hotel bell staff retrieve the bags for you?

Has anyone stayed at the pan pacific after disembarking? If so, did the hotel bell staff retrieve the bags for you?

If you mena retrieve bags on ship and take to room, no, you must take your bags thru customs and immigration.

My family is planning an Alaska cruise for 2014. The Wonder departs on a Monday so we will have a full weekend in Vancouver. Anybody have any recommendations on hotel and how to get to the port without a car?

Like several other posters, we are also staying at the Pan Pacific. We got a little discount on it, but not much but for us convenience and location also ranked high up there! ;) We are taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel and I've read it's about $35 so that doesn't feel bad to me since we are use to paying $35 per person with the Disney transfers from airport to the port. We also booked a Harbour View room because my DS loves ships and freighters, etc and we wanted to have an awesome view of the ships (and the Wonder) in port! We can't wait! :cheer2:
We go next month!

We are flying into Seattle and taking the Amtrak to Vancouver. It's cheaper than flying into Vancouver and we get to explor two cities on our way.

We will take the sky train from the Amtrak station which should get us pretty near the Pan Pacific. Yes, it is expensive, but most hotels in Vancouver seem expensive to me.

The Pan Pacific is just so convenient to the cruise terminal - and seems to be a great home base for exploring the city.

Hi Paula!! :wave2: You know I agree with you - yes it was a little pricey, but worth it to us and we are so excited! See you next month :cheer2::cool1::goodvibes

Heather

I desperately wanted to stay at the Pan but I could not justify the price just for a hotel room. For the same price I could go on 2 excursions. For half the cost, we're staying at the Sutton Place a few blocks away. Even for the cost of a taxi back to the port, what we're saving allows us to enjoy doing a lot more. As nice as the convenience would be, close to $1000 for two nights is too much for me.

The Fairmont Waterfront is a beautiful hotel and is literally across the street from the terminal. The Fairmont Pacific Rim is almost as close and is brand new and one of the nicest hotels in the city. Unfortunately they are also usually as expensive as the Pan Pacific, but you may be able to find good prices if you look around. I've also stayed at the Coast Coal Harbour and the Hyatt Regency, which are a 5 minute walk (downhill!) or a pretty cheap cab ride. They are both very nice and often have great rates online.

I desperately wanted to stay at the Pan but I could not justify the price just for a hotel room. For the same price I could go on 2 excursions. For half the cost, we're staying at the Sutton Place a few blocks away. Even for the cost of a taxi back to the port, what we're saving allows us to enjoy doing a lot more. As nice as the convenience would be, close to $1000 for two nights is too much for me.

I don't blame you!! Ouch - I guess my rate right under $300 a night (with tax and upgraded to Harbour view) wasn't so bad then! I agree, it would have been very unlikely that I would have paid $1000 for two nights! That is actually more than our excursions cost!

I've heard awesome things about the Sutton Place so I know you'll love it :goodvibes

Heather

We stayed at the Coastal Coal harbor. You can walk to the port. In 2011 it was 149.00. Very clean, friendly staff and a great location!!

We are staying at the delta inn half mile from the port. They are all suite style rooms for 210 CAN a night. It is a block from the train station, so we are doing that for trans. Technically the inlaws are cabbing it with all our stuff and meeting us there, but this saves us having to bring my sons car seat. We might all take a taxi yo the port just for luggage reasons, but we are leaning towards our family at least walking.

We stayed at the Coastal Coal harbor. You can walk to the port. In 2011 it was 149.00. Very clean, friendly staff and a great location!!

Good to know! We're staying there in a few weeks before the 5/27 sailing, but the best rate I've found is through AAA for $240/night. That's for the superior room with a harbor view, though, I think I could get the smaller city view for just a bit less. We're planning to take the Skytrain to & from the airport and just walk to the port.

We are staying at the Pan Pacific in August and were able to book a Premier Double with harbor view for $288 through AAA. Pricey, but we are flying into Seattle and then driving to Vancouver, so I wanted the most convenient hotel to get to the port the next morning. But, mostly, I think my family will love seeing the float planes and ships!

Right now, the Sutton is showing as the same price (approx) as the Pan Pacific - $376 per night for the Sun night before our cruise. Ouch.

Fairmont is even more - $523. Looks like it's the taxes of over $100 per night. All prices from Kayak.

I think I see people reporting getting Sutton Place on Hotwire for much much less than that. I want to say around $150? We are staying at Pan Pacific in Aug but got a good rate of $289 for a harbor view! I had to prepay a few months ago but if going in 2014 check rates in jan or feb and see if they have some good deals!

A different choice for you : the Lonsdale Quay hotel. It's directly across the port in north Vancouver with a stunning view of the skyline. You can very easily take the 13 minute sea bus over to downtown and walk to the terminal (less than five minutes)

Oh and if you stay at the Lonsdale quay hotel you can take the sky train from the airport to the sea us. Total cost? Under $5 a person and faster than driving. I live in Vancouver so if anyone has any questions feel free to msg me

I got the coast coal Harbour hotel for 119 per night on Hotwire for July of this year. And my friend got the Hilton for 150.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter