Hospitalization pix on facebook: ok or oversharing?

There's someone I unfollowed for doing this. Posted a photo on FB of her dying parent, asleep in a hospital bed. I *know* he would have been horrified. I was speechless. And appalled.

There's someone I unfollowed for doing this. Posted a photo on FB of her dying parent, asleep in a hospital bed. I *know* he would have been horrified. I was speechless. And appalled.

At least that's not as bad as the guy who posted a selfie of himself with his dying grandmother in the background. Captioned something like "saying bye to grandma."

Sounds a little over the top to me. It reminds me of when my MIL posted updates about my pregnancy complications and subsequent interventions when I gave birth to my son. I was not happy about it, but I think some people genuinely don't understand the desire for privacy.

I always make a point of telling DH's family "no facebook" whenever I want to keep photos or news private.

Hahaha that reminds me of my friend. His gf was in labor/giving birth...
"He's coming! I can see the head! "

IDIOT! Get off of FB!

I follow several children on FB who have had severe accidents or health problems.
I genuinely think their parents do a wonderful job of sharing their stories while keeping the child's dignity.

But....you know there is always the exception. One page I unfollowed this week. The child has a brain injury and the mother posts terribly invasive videos of him.

So, yes I think over sharing is not only annoying but inappropriate.

Total over share. One post if fb is the way your primarily communicate with further flung flamily and friends is one thing. Blow by blow updates is totally inappropriate and attention seeking

Over sharing and attention seeking. Her posts seemed more suited for text messages for close relatives.

My almost 2 year old was in the ER on Sunday. Would have never occurred to me to take a picture of her suffering and share it with everyone. I did write a brief post the next day describing our first ER visit as a "parenting rite of passage" and saying that my daughter was recovering well at home.

My FB overshare idiot joked that her 1 year old had his first drug testin ER
( they thought he had gotten into their "pain meds" or whatever other drugs they are taking)
Then posted pics of him In a MRI

Poor baby

I also have a colleague who posted a video of her teenage daughter coming out of it after having her wisdom teeth removed, acting goofy and saying crazy things. I would have never trusted my mother that!

At least that's not as bad as the guy who posted a selfie of himself with his dying grandmother in the background. Captioned something like "saying bye to grandma."

Saying bye to grandma! #theend #nottheend #wewillmissher #goodlife #heavenissweeter #whatshouldIweartothefuneral

But, seriously, though...

When our younger DS fell & hit his head, I was frantic, &, on the way to the ER, I posted asking everyone to please pray for us. I posted 2 pics while we were there - one of him in a wheelchair on our way to a room as an "update" & another one of him in the hospital bed happily playing w/ an I-pad that one of the children's PR workers had brought by for him while we were in a room as another "update".

But, yes, I think a lot of people overshare on FB. But, like someone else mentioned, what I hate worse than the oversharing is the vague-booking.

Kind of reminds me of when Lyndon Johnson felt compelled to share his surgery scar (gall bladder) on national TV. stupid.

One of the many reasons why I don't use Facebook.

No, you really DON'T have to share every little thing that happens to you with the entire world, I promise. Check your ego at the door, please.

picture seems a bit oversharing... paragraph of situation is enough.
post picture of recovery is okay with me.

of course its imo.

I have a friend who does that. No I don't want to see your kids gross toenail that is falling off. No I don't want to see your kid picking his nose in his sleep. This is a teenage boy. How can you do that to your child?! She thinks its funny and her "right" as a parent to post stuff that embarrasses her kid.

I think some people are at the point with social media that they feel that if the tiniest details of their lives are not posted, then it didn't happen. It's attention seeking and it seems as though some folks are more interested in how a situation will look when posted than in really being present in their own lives.

QUOTE="Luvchefmic, post: 53596937, member: 116937"]I agree with you Terri, oversharing. Mom put the damn phone down and hug your kid. Hope he's ok.

Ruthie[/QUOTE] I AGREE! IMO, be a "little sensitive" to privacy! I have seen pictures of people posting pictures of loved ones who are SERIOUSLY ILL in hospital beds. :sad2:

Over sharing/attention seeking. I know someone who posted on FB from the ambulance when her daughter was hit by a car. My cousin posted about my Uncle passing not 10 minutes after it happened. My sister and her husband posted hourly blow by blow accounts of his sister dying and my sister was furious that I never responded on FB. There are just some lines that shouldn't be crossed IMHO. My kid is in the ER or my loved ones are taking their last breathes FB is going to be the last thing on my mind. These types of things warrant a phone call or at the very least a private message to loved ones. If you're giving real time updates on FB your attention really isn't on the matter at hand.

Just to be clear, I'm talking serious situations here, not something that is minor or silly.
YES, Oversharing of VERY PRIVATE SERIOUS issues.:sad2:

In the grand scheme of life, I put this pretty low on the list. I don't post much on FB to begin with though. Some people post A-Z.

I don't post on facebook very ofyen. The last personal thing I posted was a month ago and that was when my son got to go for a ride in my BIL's dad's sheriff car. He loves police so he was over the top excited.

That said, when DS was in the hospital for a week with a really high fever and some seizures I did post a few updates. At the time we were in FL and literally all of our family members were 1400 miles away. I had to go back and look to see what I posted. I posted 3 small updates of two sentences or so. People were calling, texting and messaging because they heard we were in the hospital. I didn't have time to talk to/respond to everyone so the easiest way was just to post a quick update for all to see. Nothing graphic just things like "thanks everyone for reaching out to us. His fever is under control right now and we'll be doing some tests today to see if we can figure out what is causing it."

The one picture I did post was while he was getting an MRI done and DH and I went to the cafeteria for lunch. We were at the Walt Disney Pavilion which is the kids hospital wing at Florida Hospital. I took a picture of the picture of Walt Disney and the Castle they had on the wall and wrote something like "I guess if we have to be in the hospital there isn't a place better suited for us" since we're such Disney fans.

Attention seeking on my end? No, it was just the easiest way to disseminate information to all of the people who were kind enough to contact us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter