Hoop Dee Doo... worth it?

Kristen32

Earning My Ears
We're going to camp at Ft. Wilderness in late April & are considering Hoop Dee Doo one night. We're not on the dining plan, so shelling out $235+ for all 4 of us to eat is kind of painful! I just wondered who has been & if you think it's worth the price. TIA!

We go almost every year. The dinner show is popular, very entertaining ,and memorable for the whole family. In addition, the menu is all you care to eat, including sangria, wine, and beer; and our family thinks the food is really tasty. Though it is definitely a splurge, and not necessarily a must-do, I think it is a good value.

. . . I just wondered who has been & if you think it's worth the price. TIA!

Yes, and yes.
Our Ratings of Hoop-Dee-Do-Review: (*rev 1/16/2015*)
. . . food price value: B (if using DDP Credits = D)
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: B (actors)
NOTE1: HDDR is a fun, corny, lively Western show. The food is average, but quite tasty for the
comfort food and is all-you-can-eat for both the food and the beverages, even the nice sangria.
Good show for adults and children alike. As side info, HDDR is typically cool from air conditioning,
so take a jacket or sweater for everyone. Cat-2 and Cat-3 tables may have posts in the view.
For a truly unique evening, do an early show, after attend the Chip-n-Dale Campfire meet-greet
appearance, the marshmallow roasting, Singalong, and the outdoor movie. Buy marshmallows,
Smores, and other snacks at the campfire.
NOTE2: Food is served a preset "family style" and is placed on the table. The menu includes
fried chicken, smoked BBQ pork ribs, cowboy baked beans, seasonal vegetables, tossed green
salad, fresh baked bread and strawberry shortcake, plus unlimited draft beer, wine, sangria
and soft drinks, Please be aware that the corn is now kernels in a bowl and not on-the-cob.

We thought it was fun, but for us it's a one and done thing. Way too expensive - especially since we aren't drinkers.

"Worth" is totally subjective and no one is going to be able to answer if it is "worth it" to your family. That said, we love it and it is "worth it" to our family.

It is good "Down Home" cooking with a lively, fun Western themed show, full of singing, dancing, audience participation and corny jokes..
We have been several times and always had a blast
Have Fun

I have to agree on the one and done, for my personal tastes. The food was fine, not great, not bad. The service at our table was incredibly sparse - we had a party of like 7 and had to ask for more chicken...which came out with dessert. The server was spending her time chatting with another table. The sangria is TERRIBLE. The show was corny, but in the expected silly-fun way.

We have been at least 6 times so obviously we think it is worth it! The food is good-certainly much better than some other meals we have had at WDW-and the show is a lot of fun. We did not go our last 3 or 4 trips but are booked for next week and are excited to return. We always sit Category 1-right in front of the stage-and that is worth it too, especially if you are just planning to go once.

Last edited:
If you think your family would like it, give it a try :thumbsup2 We did it for the first time last Aug. and both DS's, 12 and 9, like it ALOT more than I thought they would. In fact, younger DS has requested we do it again this year :-). Show is definitely corny in a fun way. The food was nothing special (except the cornbread and strawberry shortcake. I could eat just those all night!) but was certainly not bad in any way. It's not my type of meal but DH and both DS's enjoyed it, I enjoyed the beer, and as a pp said you're paying for the show AND dinner.

If you do it, at least you won't be wondering anymore if you'll like it lol!

BTW, we weren't on the DDP and we paid for cat. 1 seating. Very glad we did.

H and S are husband and son.
D is dear or darling or devoted or Disney or any pleasant D adjective

My family of four had our first trip to HDDR last August. After the many very positive reviews, we thought it was an obvious choice to try. Our experience turned out to be rather unenjoyable. Our table was way off to the side on the first floor, next to support beam that made dining, and viewing the show, difficult. Our server was AWOL most of the time, so drinks ran dry and stayed that way. The beer was warm and flat, and the sangria was worse (undrinkable). The show is corny, but tolerable. The food was mediocre. Next time, we'll stick with the buffet next door at the Trails End restaurant; by far, the better value.

We love HDD! We stay at the cabins every year and our tradition is to do HDDR on our first night. Our kids are now 9, 7, and 5 but we've been going since our youngest was 1. They love it! When my son was 7 he got called up to the stage to participate and that was the best! I try not to think of the cost (as a PP said, it's hard to determine worth when on a Disney vacation) but my kids love the jokes and humor and the food is good. I wouldn't say the food is great, but it is good. We try to get the refills on the drinks before we need them because service can be slow. I think it is a must-do at least 1 time!

I have to agree on the one and done, for my personal tastes. The food was fine, not great, not bad. The service at our table was incredibly sparse - we had a party of like 7 and had to ask for more chicken...which came out with dessert. The server was spending her time chatting with another table. The sangria is TERRIBLE. The show was corny, but in the expected silly-fun way.

This exactly. Food was ok, service was bad, sangria was awful. Show was fine, but the overall experience was not worth the money, in my opinion.

My family does HDDR every time we visit, we love it. The kids really enjoyed it, I lump my DH in that category it is on his must do list.

After 30 years, we went for the first time last fall and had a great time that was worth the money. We were off to the side but we got lots of timely attention from our server. It wasn't the best BBQ and chicken we ever had but it was well cooked and flavorful. Hot things were hot, cold things cold, refills were quick. Maybe it depends on your server. We would return again, for sure!

Went for the first time on Monday night. My past thought process was I "live in the land of hoop de doo" so no way I was paying for it. I for some reason thought, maybe based on some old pictures, that this was a "country music" show and that isn't my thing. I am a transplant who has spent more than half my life in Georgia so I can do country and vittles any time I want. WELL ..... for some reason I felt compelled to give it a try, maybe it was my TIW discount. It was my DD and DS and I - all adults. We had a blast, thoroughly enjoyed the show and most the food was good. It's home style food so we weren't expecting gourmet. We honestly would have eaten much more but we were watching the show. The show was nothing like I expected - it was a HOOT!

As with anything like this I try to be strategic, one reason is my DS has sound and sensory issues. After studying photos online we booked category 3 which put us up on the sides of the balcony. LOVED IT! and didn't hurt it was the cheap seats. We were next to the rail, our seats swiveled around. All the tables were a long row and the server worked from the other side. We could see everything and twice the entertainers came up and were right by us, talked to us and hung over the rail next to us. Our server was excellent and she was always a step ahead of us. We asked for one glass of sangria and yes, it was BAD. She said they just changed the recipe to reduce the alcohol content.... it was a dark red wine with one chunk of orange in it ... not sangria. We told her it was not really sangria and not good. DD and I had Bud Light and after our first glass she offered to bring a pitcher which worked great. Salad was so fresh that when we walked in all I could do is smell the salad. We left none behind. Chicken was awesome and I'm picky about fried chicken. The ribs were tangy and good but I don't eat them (too much work) so I only tasted a small piece. DD ate those. DS and I had our fill of chicken. Our second round she asked if we wanted white, dark or mixed so I appreciated that. Mashed potatoes were good - very creamy, corn tasted off the cob with heavy butter and none of us ate the baked beans. Cornbread excellent and we chowed down a few loaves. Strawberry Shortcake was good and very home made tasting but by then we were full so we didn't finish our one skillet. She did say she could bring as many skillets of that we wanted too.

I read the third show had more adult humor (that goes over kids heads) and we did enjoy the show. I would book Category 3 again. I liked our wide open view and being in a less crowded space. Category 2 seemed to iffy as to where you would be seated. While I would love their straight on tables upstairs I would not want the outer tables downstairs. After the show they had buses right there that were designated to zones to take us straight to our hotel which was great, especially since we were the first stop!

So yes I went swearing I never would go and I loved it and I would go again. Is it pricey? Yes but so is just about every table service at Disney. It's all relative. This at least falls in line with offsite dinner shows except it includes unlimited food, beer and wine - and tip!!

Disney%20Feb%2014%20I%20578.jpg

Disney%20Feb%2014%20I%20620.jpg

Last edited:
I love, love, love Hoop De Doo. It's kitchsy and corny and hilarious and wonderful. I had to drag my husband kicking and screaming, and it ended up being one of his very favorite parts of the trip. His low expectations were blown out of the water. It will be a tradition for us from now on!

We were there for Christmas without DDP (eek!). My Dad was joining us (he hadn't been to Disney since he took me when I was 14). We hmmed and hawed over which dining experiences to choose. We ended up with HDDR and Ohana. My focus was to give my Dad a great experience in WDW.

He ended up really enjoying both. We have done HDDR before but it was 4 yrs back and my kids barely remembered it. We had liked it but considered it pricey so have chosen other meals since then, Both kids were laughing like crazy and my DD in particular was tickled pink over all the puns (especially when they made fun of Frozen!). She still talks about it. I don't think this is something we would do annually, but every few years would be good.

We got Cat 2 and ended up on the balcony looking straight on. Our seats were good but slightly hard to see for those seated further from the railings. I preferred it to side balcony seats though for this particular meal (since my Dad was with us) as the 5 of us could see each other & talk rather than be seated in one long row.

My Dad also really enjoyed himself. He travels a lot and has eaten very good food in his travels. He thoroughly enjoyed the fried chicken (moist and juicy) and his first taste of cornbread. My son has been refusing cornbread at many restaurants in the last couple of years and HDDR reminded him of how much he loves GOOD cornbread. The ribs were also solidly good (not the best ever, but very enjoyable). Like most ppl, we just nibbled at the strawberry shortcake because we were too full.

For about $60 pp, I looked at it as spending $30 for the AYCE meal and $30 for the show. It was a splurge, but a nice one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter