Honey! We are leaving them at home!

I'm learning my phone is the source of much of my stress, sadly, my job requires that I stay "on the grid" while on vacation but not constantly.

So, when I'm not camping in the middle of nowhere I set my phone to "airplane mode" so I can still use it as a camera. And just turn it back on in the morning ot evening to make sure nothing urgent has presented itself.

Then it goes off again.

For a place like WDW with interactive maps, wait time apps, etc... I turn my email off so my wife can still call me if we split up.

Setting >>>> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >>>> "Work Mail" Account >>>> Mail toggle to "Off"

Best. Thing. Ever.

Have a great trip!!!

Have any of you ever considered leaving your smartphones at home? Or do you believe you can't live without them? I'm not saying its going to be easy. I'm already panicking that I won't have the Lines App with me. But then again people back in the day didn't either.

When my family went, we had to bring our phones on the trip (flying cross-country) but did think about whether or not to leave them in the room. We all decided that while we could make do with 1 phone as a contact phone for family back home, it was best if we all took ours with us. I didn't do much with mine but take some photos to share on Facebook and check wait times (only occasionally). It stayed turned off for some hours, nestled inside my backpack.

We also split up a few times, so even though we had arranged meeting places and times, it was great to be able to keep in contact if one party got held up, etc.

Everyone's decision is different, whatever works for you is what's best. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2 to the OP.

I did take my smartphone on our last trip with the main purpose being the emergency call number on my son's ID bracelet should he have gotten lost. The phone never came out of my bag the entire time we were in the parks. I'm really not a fan of the heavy use of electronic devices in a place like WDW. I agree with the OP that it does take attention away from "old fashion" family time. Even just having it out for a minute or two sends message to your family that the phone is more important than they are, IMO. As for checking line apps and such, I guess I can see the novelty in that, but it's certainly not a necessity. To each their own really.

I did use it a bit at night after everyone else was asleep to do some surfing around and some reading, but that's something I could have very easily done without.

We depend our iPhones as our camera and video camera, I depend on that Lines app quite a bit, and I use mine to keep up with all of our ADRs and just about anything else I need to remember so I don't have to carry a bunch of printed bits of paper along. I will say, though, that DH and I have agreed to a social media blackout during our past two trip and that has been wonderful. Stopping to share a moment on twitter or post a photo to FB just wasn't worth the time. It really did keep us present and kept us from being bent over a phone when we could be focused on each other.

We depend our iPhones as our camera and video camera, I depend on that Lines app quite a bit, and I use mine to keep up with all of our ADRs and just about anything else I need to remember so I don't have to carry a bunch of printed bits of paper along. I will say, though, that DH and I have agreed to a social media blackout during our past two trip and that has been wonderful. Stopping to share a moment on twitter or post a photo to FB just wasn't worth the time. It really did keep us present and kept us from being bent over a phone when we could be focused on each other.

Wow! You sound just like me! The phone was a must for photos, ADR's and touringplan.com app (huge time saver).

However, we blacked out texting & FB posting for the trip. Although when the kiddies went to bed I did browse FB and reply to texts to past the time in the room.

I am wayyyyy to ADD to focus on my phone when there all this WD magic around me... :goodvibes

I wouldn't know what to do without my phone. It's like my watch, I feel naked without it. I rarely talk on it, I text my family and close friends quite a bit, but mostly I use it as a pocket answer machine.

If I have a question and need an answer, Google will provide! Do I need an umbrella? The Weather Channel app will know! Where can I get a good gyro? Urbanspoon has the answer!

I've been building a mobilized webpage with all of my obsessive research compiled just so I can look at my phone when I'm standing in Adventureland to point out anything interesting or know which shop might have a specific item or how long a certain ride lasts so I'll know if I have time to ride one more before my FastPass time . . .

I'm obsessed with a lot of things. My phone is only one of them.

I do plan on taking a lot of pictures with it to upload to Facebook just so family can get the pictures as they are happening and I won't have to spend half the evening emailing pictures to the grandparents.

So after much pondering and planning and wondering... my wife and I have decided that our smartphones are not coming on the trip with us.

The more I thought about it the more it became apparent to me that the phones would only pose as a distraction between us and the time being spent with our boys. Why are we going to Disney World in the first place I asked myself? We are going to Disney World to escape from the reality of our everyday life. Do we really need access to the "outside" world while we are on vacation? We don't have jobs, blogs, or any last minute deals that require us to have our phones with us at all times. Why would we even consider bringing the phones with us? Especially considering the ridiculous trouble it becomes when crossing the border into the US.

Everywhere I go I see parents with their kids and the parent is "zoned" out on their phones practically ignoring the child. I myself have been guilty of this. So has my wife. Another scenario I see is both parents on their phones, little Sally is texting and little Johnny is on the DS and they are all the same table having a meal at McDonald's.

We are taking our kids to the Happiest Place On Earth and if you think I'm going to risk a single moment of their... actually OUR experiences together as a family because I need to check peoples tweets or Facebook status then you would be mistaken.

The phones they are staying at home. On this trip I'm packing my undivided attention because that is what my boys deserve.

Have any of you ever considered leaving your smartphones at home? Or do you believe you can't live without them? I'm not saying its going to be easy. I'm already panicking that I won't have the Lines App with me. But then again people back in the day didn't either.

I totally agree with you. Although I take my phone with me and it is a smartphone, it is with me for one reason only - emergency calls. I will only use it if the housesitter calls me (we have a lot of pets). If anyone else calls, I will listen to their voicemail and decide whether they need the call returned.

I certainly will not be using the 'smart' part of my phone, I am on vacation. If I take any pics I will be sharing them with my family that are with me ... Facebook can wait and I don't need line apps - I'm there, take a walk and look for yourself!!! :teeth:

I wish more people thought like you do! I'm one of those that doesn't have a smart phone because I actually enjoy being disconnected when I'm out spending time with my family. (I do have an old "dumb" phone for emergencies of course.) I really hope my hubby can keep his iphone in his pocket while we are at WDW next month - nothing I hate more than when he plays games while the rest of us are all enjoying a nice meal out.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm buying a smartphone specifically because of the next trip. Straight Talk at $45 a month/no contract/unlimited plan cannot be beat.

My son won't go without his, either. He actually texted me during his graduation ceremony.

We have to have our smart phones with us. Because I have a disease of a different kind. I used to HAVE to know the time - all the time. I was possessed with knowing the time. I was constantly looking at my watch, measuring how long it was taking for anything. I drove my husband (and my son when he was with us) crazy.

So, about five years ago, I stopped wearing a watch. The phone is the only timepiece we have. And the only time I take it out is to see the time or check sports scores. But I ONLY do the latter when we are on a break and it takes less than a minute. But come on - we have to know the results of the race or if the Falcons are doing good!

We have to have our smart phones with us. Because I have a disease of a different kind. I used to HAVE to know the time - all the time. I was possessed with knowing the time. I was constantly looking at my watch, measuring how long it was taking for anything. I drove my husband (and my son when he was with us) crazy.

So, about five years ago, I stopped wearing a watch. The phone is the only timepiece we have. And the only time I take it out is to see the time or check sports scores. But I ONLY do the latter when we are on a break and it takes less than a minute. But come on - we have to know the results of the race or if the Falcons are doing good!

:offtopic: Go Falcons :teeth:

We split up alot so we need our phones to keep in touch. I also don't wear a watch so that's how I know when it's time for ADR's.

I do keep it put away when I don't need it.

My husband won't put his away and is always on it so while I wish he wouldn't bring it, we need it to keep in touch in the parks.

Honestly, if you need to leave your phone at home because it distracts you from time with your kids than you have some different issues that you might need to address.

I understand that may come off as rude, but I don't think it is any ruder than people who see other using cell phones and assume things about them, like I have seen in this thread.

On our last trip, we took the phones. However, we put them in the safe during the day when we were out and about. We only used them in the morning and the evening for a few minutes, making sure we checked in with family because you never know what can happen when you are away.

Best. Trip. Ever. iPhone withdrawals were relatively painless.

We don't have smart phones to begin with. I HATE seeing people playing on their phone vs interacting with their family, CM's, everything.

So kudos to you!

I would, honestly, rather NOT have a phone than have a smart phone.

LOL...How do you know we're not interacting with family when we're on our phones. My girls and I sometimes text each other when we're right next to each other when we don't want other people to listen. ;)

I honestly think people are crazy if they don't have at least two phones in their party. Even with pre arranged meeting times, things happen and can make one person late and the other person just has to sit there and wonder where the heck they are. :confused3 Ah....the good old days of waiting and wondering where people were before cell phones!

Edited to add.....we do fine on cruises with no phone/internet...but at WDW where we have 3G and wireless, we are sure to use it!!

Well we did it.

We went to Disney World and we left our phones at home! And it was Awesome!!! We are going back next December and we will be leaving the phones at home again.

Just a little situation we encountered which made my wife and I smile at each other. We were waiting for the elevator at the resort when this Grandmother and her Granddaughter showed up. The grandmother was extremely upset telling her granddaughter that she couldn't believe how "Johnny" (grandson) was constantly on his phone ignoring her and the grandfather. She said it was extremely rude that they would take their grandson on vacation and all he was doing was sticking his nose in that thing. She also talking to us at this point. She told her Granddaughter that when they returned to the room his phone was getting locked up in the safe lol. And you know why I agree with her. It's time people start sticking up for family values again.

Well we did it.

We went to Disney World and we left our phones at home! And it was Awesome!!! We are going back next December and we will be leaving the phones at home again.

Just a little situation we encountered which made my wife and I smile at each other. We were waiting for the elevator at the resort when this Grandmother and her Granddaughter showed up. The grandmother was extremely upset telling her granddaughter that she couldn't believe how "Johnny" (grandson) was constantly on his phone ignoring her and the grandfather. She said it was extremely rude that they would take their grandson on vacation and all he was doing was sticking his nose in that thing. She also talking to us at this point. She told her Granddaughter that when they returned to the room his phone was getting locked up in the safe lol. And you know why I agree with her. It's time people start sticking up for family values again.

You obviously aren't familiar with the new FastPass + system coming to WDW. :rotfl:

We'll have ours with us so we can call each other if we get separated. :)

ErinsMommy said:
We'll have ours with us so we can call each other if we get separated. :)

Yes this was one of our concerns but we simply determined a rendezvous point and it worked perfectly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter