HONEST detailed account of Solo Trip

I was never rushed during my own solo trip last September but that is notoriously one of the slowest times of the year and because I'd booked only about 6 weeks out most of the TS meals I got weren't at peak times. But some of them were during very busy lunch hours (50's Prime Time at 12.30...oh dear lord!) and I never once felt rushed and in fact the only time I did wasn't even at Disney but over at the Darkside. You have just as much right to be at a nice restaurant as a family so if you feel like the staff are targeting you because you're solo then just finish you meal and have a word with the manager.

I think if I'd been there at a busier time and I could see that there were many people waiting for a table I'd get my butt moving but that would be a personal thing. If a CM tried to rush me no doubt my inner teenager would come out and I would slow myself right down (unless they were really polite and nice about it, then I'd do the British thing and apologise for taking so long and then rush to get out of there even though I'd only been there for 45 minutes and I hadn't actually finished eating ;))

I was never rushed during my own solo trip last September but that is notoriously one of the slowest times of the year and because I'd booked only about 6 weeks out most of the TS meals I got weren't at peak times. But some of them were during very busy lunch hours (50's Prime Time at 12.30...oh dear lord!) and I never once felt rushed and in fact the only time I did wasn't even at Disney but over at the Darkside. You have just as much right to be at a nice restaurant as a family so if you feel like the staff are targeting you because you're solo then just finish you meal and have a word with the manager.

I think if I'd been there at a busier time and I could see that there were many people waiting for a table I'd get my butt moving but that would be a personal thing. If a CM tried to rush me no doubt my inner teenager would come out and I would slow myself right down (unless they were really polite and nice about it, then I'd do the British thing and apologise for taking so long and then rush to get out of there even though I'd only been there for 45 minutes and I hadn't actually finished eating ;))

Thanks! I have gone on non-Disney vacays by myself, and I always feel like I'm being rushed when I dine alone, so I avoid it. I think if I do TS on my own at WDW, I will definitely be smart about reservation times (I'm planning a solo vacay in late January, which I think is part of the low season anyway). It would be too good an opportunity to miss out on!

Just to clarify, did you feel rushed because you wanted to finish your meal more quickly or because you felt like that staff were trying to rush you? That's one of my biggest anxieties of a future solo trip to Disney. I don't want to pay a lot of money to eat at a nice restaurant only for the staff to rush me because I'm dining alone...

It is very rare that the Disney staff will rush you. At Boma my waiter gave me my check while I was still eating my first plate. So I was a bit surprised and told him thanks I was just taking my time He did ask me though if I worked for Disney (because I had a Disney card with credit). I think it really was a one off situation. The previous time I was at Boma I had an extraordinary waiter, so the experiences really vary.

If it's your first solo trip id so go for it because I have loved all of my Disney dining experiences.

I usually do 2 days at Universal. I find that is enough time (in Oct) to do many of the rides and shows. Getting there early for HP is key, but if i wait in line for the new rides i'll live :) I love roller coasters but even if you aren't a fan there are plenty of other things to do (the posiden's fury walk thru is great, but it is a walk thru no sitting). And diaster starring you(or something like that) will seem very familiar to those who have been to hollywood studios.

I actually have done Universal / IoA as well solo twice and looveeddd it, had such a blast. If I do another solo trip to Florida again I'll definitely try to go.

I am starting to wonder if it is a "female thing"... :laughing: that sounded sooo weird. But honestly, as a male I haven't experienced those kind of comments from CMs and this was my 5th solo trip. I have seen from time to time on the boards about females getting those kinds of comments, so I don't know if they are going out of their way for you guys or what? Or maybe they were just random coincidences? I dunno :confused3

But I like to think that not all CMs are perfect and guests certainly aren't either and I will say that sometimes they don't know how to handle solo travelers. I've had my fair share of CM servers give less attention or guests give weird looks (and vice versa I have had some AMAZING experiences with CMs and guests). The only thing that still bothers me anymore though is when they yell out "[insert last name] family" and you sheepishly raise your hand. It's a fleeting moment so I don't really care, but come on, how hard is it to check the party is for one? :rotfl:Some will call you out by your first name and avoid that, but I get over stuff like that really quickly. I won't let anyone ruin my trips anymore; I always turn awkward comments from CMs and guests into positives, like you mentioned just saying you were happy to be there or ask them in return how their trip is going generally helps change the direction of the convo. Although I lug around 20 pounds worth of camera gear so I often get mistaken as a die hard local when I am snapping pics on rides or at restaurants; you could always carry a camera to make people think twice with their comments :D

And thanks for the David's DVC recommendation. I was looking at using them for my SOLO trip in December; I will have to research them further! :thumbsup2

ps - did you make it to the HDDR on the 26th? They bumped 3rd tier (or just me) to the front!View attachment 100388

Your comment is awesome. I am a shy but a friendly person and I did love my trip, so anything pointing to otherwise just isn't the case. Everyone truly is different (as many keep mentioning) and I am considering taking another trip on off peak season. Daves DVC is definitely the way to go if you aren't doing the dining plan. You can still pay for it but most people book at higher prices through Disney to get the free dining plan. I didn't get to do HDDR because my cousins met up off site earlier than expected. There's always next time :)

Thank you so much for this honest and open review of your solo experience. As a prospective solo traveler, I'm always happy to hear about how other solo-goers are doing :)

I went to MK and DHS alone on a family trip last year and it's funny how our two experiences relate. I'm on the younger side, too, and totally got the "sweetie are you all by yourself????" treatment from not only employees, but Cinderella herself. :rotfl: I also played on my phone while I was eating!!! It helps a lot, right?

Can we expect a TR from you? I'd love to hear more about your solo adventure :)

To be fair I do look younger so I can laugh about this and the sweetie comments. I do love seeing all these comments about women and men just going solo,single, and without significant others. There aren't any fellow Disney fanatics I could count on to drop everything and be thrilled to go on a trip to Disney with me. So it's awesome that we all decided to or are going to make our own adventures ;)

I've recently been toying with the idea of doing a solo weekend at WDW at some point soon. Honestly it would be something completely new to me. I've never been on a solo vacation of any kind. Even when I was the college program I was never interested in doing a park day by myself. One of my best Disney memories, however, was doing a solo, cast member only tour of the haunted mansion before the park opened. Walking through mk alone before opening was a crazy experience.

One of the reasons for toying with the idea is my interest in the hidden secrets/tiny details imagineers put into every aspect of the parks. I feel that when I'm touring the parks with other people we find ourselves making a mad dash from ride to ride and not being able to really take it all in/explore every aspect of the parks(with the exception of drinking around the world).

These threads have been really helpful. I didn't realize how many solo travelers there actually were at the parks. It's nice hearing all of the positive experiences people have had that align with what I would like to accomplish by taking a solo trip.

I have done a day trip alone - when I lived in Florida years ago. I did Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. I agree that it gives you time to really notice the details in every nook and cranny. I love to take photos so I could take photos all day and nobody get irritated that it was taking up time dashing from attraction to attraction. I did more parades and more stopping to watch entertainment along the way. At times I did wish I had someone to share it with - but for the most part I was totally comfortable. I'm extroverted and it was easy to start up conversations.

The sad thing about all of this is I'm reading this thread because I have a trip booked in 3 weeks. My boyfriend and I are having issues so I might be going solo. I have AKL booked through a member so it's all paid for and I have bought the passes. I'm going no matter what. I asked my mom if she would go and she can't and I thought about asking some friends but I think I want to try it alone. It's sad, I know. I'm not 100% sure the relationship is over, but we'll see. I may be taking a healing trip here. :-(

Me again. In thinking about this - I think the most awkward thing would be solo dining at a sit down restaurant. That said, if I end up going alone I may just take my breakfast food - staying in a studio at AKL so I'll have a little mini kitchen. I may do the fast service places in the parks and even go off site for some meals. Take healthy stuff for my fridge in the room. I may end up liking this idea because I'll save tons of $$$ - the Disney sit down restaurants are getting to be ridiculously expensive. Animal Kingdom Lodge is a hop skip and jump from 92 - there's a back way on Sherbeth Road. Could hop over and grab something really easily.

I have done a day trip alone - when I lived in Florida years ago. I did Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. I agree that it gives you time to really notice the details in every nook and cranny. I love to take photos so I could take photos all day and nobody get irritated that it was taking up time dashing from attraction to attraction. I did more parades and more stopping to watch entertainment along the way. At times I did wish I had someone to share it with - but for the most part I was totally comfortable. I'm extroverted and it was easy to start up conversations.

The sad thing about all of this is I'm reading this thread because I have a trip booked in 3 weeks. My boyfriend and I are having issues so I might be going solo. I have AKL booked through a member so it's all paid for and I have bought the passes. I'm going no matter what. I asked my mom if she would go and she can't and I thought about asking some friends but I think I want to try it alone. It's sad, I know. I'm not 100% sure the relationship is over, but we'll see. I may be taking a healing trip here. :-(

Good for you! My solo last month was a healing trip for me in a way. It was also a "making WDW my own thing" trip. It was an amazing week, there was nothing awkward at all and I can't wait to do it again in December and February! Heck, I'm even planning to move down there next summer! Go for it! :)

I feel for your uncomfortable solo trip because you look younger. This happens to be one reason why I like going to WDW with my daughter as we can do different things while there and I know CMs and Cast Members are paying attention and it was safe for her to do that at a younger age.

I personally would have made a new friend with some of these situations, but I can completely understand wanting to be alone and enjoy your favorite WDW things. I use a kindle with an ebook when I'm alone to pass the time at meals, etc. Might be better than just a phone since it'll be larger like you want to be alone in your book.

I've been thinking about taking a solo trip at some point since I'm running out of people to drag with me. I spent a day and a half alone back in February after vacationing with my sister's family for a week and had some awkward moments. I felt weird about being alone already so that probably didn't help (it was also Valentine's Day, which reeeally didn't help). I love being alone and being totally in control but thinking of other people's reactions makes me anxious. I went on 7DMT and was paired with some guy whose two kids sat in the row behind us and he asked me how I got separated from my party. Then I went to meet the characters in Storybook Circus and at each new character the photographers thought I was with the family in front of me, and I had to correct them and they were surprised by it. Nothing else was too weird, but it did make me change my plans and not do any table service alone and change my plans for my last half day to go wander Downtown Disney instead of another park. I hope I can get over my fear of this, I think a solo trip could be so much fun if I did.

I've been thinking about taking a solo trip at some point since I'm running out of people to drag with me. I spent a day and a half alone back in February after vacationing with my sister's family for a week and had some awkward moments. I felt weird about being alone already so that probably didn't help (it was also Valentine's Day, which reeeally didn't help). I love being alone and being totally in control but thinking of other people's reactions makes me anxious. I went on 7DMT and was paired with some guy whose two kids sat in the row behind us and he asked me how I got separated from my party. Then I went to meet the characters in Storybook Circus and at each new character the photographers thought I was with the family in front of me, and I had to correct them and they were surprised by it. Nothing else was too weird, but it did make me change my plans and not do any table service alone and change my plans for my last half day to go wander Downtown Disney instead of another park. I hope I can get over my fear of this, I think a solo trip could be so much fun if I did.

Go for it! A little bit of awkward here and there won't outweigh the awesomeness that is a solo trip to WDW! I took my first one last month and I am so very glad I did. Doing it again in December!

Go for it! A little bit of awkward here and there won't outweigh the awesomeness that is a solo trip to WDW! I took my first one last month and I am so very glad I did. Doing it again in December!

Yeah, solo seems so appealing! My trip for January was originally planned as solo but a friend joined, but there is still a chance she will have to work that week and be unable to come. Hopefully if I end up being solo I can get past all the awkwardness.

Yeah, solo seems so appealing! My trip for January was originally planned as solo but a friend joined, but there is still a chance she will have to work that week and be unable to come. Hopefully if I end up being solo I can get past all the awkwardness.

It's worth a shot at least. If you don't like it, you don't ever have to do it again, right? :) I'm working on Day 5 of my trip report right now...the first I've ever done. The first 4 days are already posted. It's fun to relive it all! Check out the link in my signature if you want to see how my solo trip went! :)

It's worth a shot at least. If you don't like it, you don't ever have to do it again, right? :) I'm working on Day 5 of my trip report right now...the first I've ever done. The first 4 days are already posted. It's fun to relive it all! Check out the link in my signature if you want to see how my solo trip went! :)

I will definitely check it out, thanks!

Sorry to hear about this :( I wish I could go with you last minute! :) You definitely should still go and add some new elements to your trip that only you would like. I remember on my solo trip I was a little blue because I thought of the last trip I took there in September with a guy I was very close to. As soon as I shifted mental gears though it really helped and I was able to spend more time on things I personally wanted to do on my last trip but didn't get to. I hope you have an awesome time! Please keep us updated.

I'm glad you had so much fun on your first solo! Also your avatar pic is great :)

Reading all these comments really makes me want to go back :/ I just celebrated my 30th birthday and it's cool seeing lots of Independent peeps still going out there and having a blast. We should all do a trip! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter