• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Homeschool Chat Part III

Thanks so much! I feel a little bit better. Sometimes I worry that I'm not doing this right. I know he is learning but I worry if it's enough. Thanks again!

Just needed to AAARRRGGGHHH!!! at people who understand. If effort were rain, this house would be dryer than the Sahara right now. Coming up with 3-5 questions and looking for information about them is not writing down 3 words with question marks next to them and then not bothering to look outside the book when you are given a list of 9 websites to consult.

Aaaarrrggghhh!!!!!

Thank you, I feel better and less inclined to pop her head off like she were a dandelion. I now return you to your hopefully more engaged children and wish you a better homeschool day than I am having.

Just needed to AAARRRGGGHHH!!! at people who understand. If effort were rain, this house would be dryer than the Sahara right now. Coming up with 3-5 questions and looking for information about them is not writing down 3 words with question marks next to them and then not bothering to look outside the book when you are given a list of 9 websites to consult.

Aaaarrrggghhh!!!!!

Thank you, I feel better and less inclined to pop her head off like she were a dandelion. I now return you to your hopefully more engaged children and wish you a better homeschool day than I am having.

OH I get it. Had a long talk today with son. Start doing more I am not doing it for you or go to a class room. He wants homeschooling so let's see. Just one of the days here too.

My son has a habit of powering through his work in order to get it done early. He really just wants his video game, and even though the rule is no video games til after 3, he thinks he can talk me into getting them...so the new rule is if he does it too quick I'll add more work! Sometimes he can whine up a storm and I want to pull my hair out!!

I let mine finish school early if they want to push through as long as they're being accurate and complete. If they finish, they can pull forward some from tomorrow, go read, play quietly in their rooms, or earn money by doing bonus chores. If they've pulled forward all their work so that Friday is only group lessons, we finish up super early and go for a bike ride, swim, etc.

I think part of the problem is her 5 day a week dance schedule (17-20 hrs a week depending on her performance team schedule), so she knows if she doesn't get it done before we have to leave, she can pick up where she left off the next day. I am tempted to buy a bell and put her on a time schedule like she would have in a school, but I don't want to stop her from the rabbit trailing where she really is engaged and learning a lot. And she would still have to finish the next day what she doesn't get done so all it would really do is frustrate us both even more! A lot of the kids do homework at the studio on their breaks between classes, but she only has a break on tuesday and it is difficult for her to do a lot of her work there because of needing internet.

I think part of the problem is her 5 day a week dance schedule (17-20 hrs a week depending on her performance team schedule), so she knows if she doesn't get it done before we have to leave, she can pick up where she left off the next day. I am tempted to buy a bell and put her on a time schedule like she would have in a school, but I don't want to stop her from the rabbit trailing where she really is engaged and learning a lot. And she would still have to finish the next day what she doesn't get done so all it would really do is frustrate us both even more! A lot of the kids do homework at the studio on their breaks between classes, but she only has a break on tuesday and it is difficult for her to do a lot of her work there because of needing internet.

This is why I love homeschooling. Finish it today or finish it tomorrow. As long as it is done by the end of the week, we are golden.

Think of the skills your DD is learning. Prioritizing, going in depth on a schedule, and appreciation for what she has.

We were there. My DD learned all those and much more. To this day she is grateful that she was homeschooled and could work school around dance unlike some of her dance friends. Her school never suffered.

Now if I can get DS to the same place;)

This is why I love homeschooling. Finish it today or finish it tomorrow. As long as it is done by the end of the week, we are golden. Think of the skills your DD is learning. Prioritizing, going in depth on a schedule, and appreciation for what she has. We were there. My DD learned all those and much more. To this day she is grateful that she was homeschooled and could work school around dance unlike some of her dance friends. Her school never suffered. Now if I can get DS to the same place;)

Thank you. I needed to hear that.

Me too! I'm excited and nervous... :)
Me too!
After doing my app in snatches of free time Tuesday between questions, My "daughter" helping me for most of it, I finished writing with plenty of help from the kiddos. (What are five words that mean the same as good?)
Then Chris got a stomach bug, so he was out for the evening. I stayed up uploading.
Hitting the submit button never felt so good!
And right back to homeschool.

It seems like homeschool has made our last year last hectic than private school. I sat down and thought about it and realized we were spending two hours a day driving and dropping (schools let out an hour early for the preK). Never mind the lack of hurrying along my kids before they are properly awake.
Has anyone else noticed this?

DS has only ever been homeschooled but I can't imagine doing the morning rush and driving all over the place to pick up every day. It sounds exhausting!

It seems like homeschool has made our last year last hectic than private school. I sat down and thought about it and realized we were spending two hours a day driving and dropping (schools let out an hour early for the preK). Never mind the lack of hurrying along my kids before they are properly awake. Has anyone else noticed this?

We do a co-op class once a week for 10 weeks. I just commented I can't imagine going back to getting kids up and out the door 5 days a week, 9 months a year. Lol

Hi Everyone! I am so excited I found this group. We are in year 3 of homeschooling and love it. We just got off the Disney Wonder and our kids got hands on learning from Mexico! You cannot beat those experiences. We are lucky enough to live in Orlando, so Disney World is a weekly "learning experience" for us.

What kind of homeschool activities do you do at Disney World?

I am tempted to buy a bell and put her on a time schedule like she would have in a school.

We actually did this, well not a bell, a timer. But it worked great. Although our issues were do more to learning disabilities, than outright procrastination. The timer really helped her stay on track. Otherwise, she would get way too distracted and an hour would pass and she would only have 3 questions answered and not even realize how long it had been.

But in your case, as long as she gets the work done correctly within whatever timeframe you have set for her, I wouldn't worry too much. Let real life consequences teach her not to procrastinate. Like - well you put off your math, so now you have to stay home to do it, instead of going to the movies with your friends. That sort of thing.

Good luck.

Hi Everyone!! I am new to the board and new to homeschooling this year. My DD is in the third grade and for the first 3 years was in public school, she was rushed along and didn't even start reading until i pulled her out this year to homeschool her. None of her teachers cared and after meeting after meeting I learned that I was going to have to do this myself. My DD is so smart and I feel horrible for ever doubting her.She just needs that one on one guidance.

We do have some issues staying focused and she does have some issues settling into her work. We have an appointment with our pediatrician in Jan for possibly ADHD. I was wondering has anyone else had issues getting your child to settle and focus? and does anyone else have a child who is homeschooled with ADHD? Please let me know what works for you!! Also can anyone recommend any children typing sites?

Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter