• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Homeschool Chat Part III

Can anyone give me suggestion on a HS level , either on line or video based, subjects? Language, Sci, Math, History, Bible...

We've homeschooled for yrs-both boys in HS now and we've always done a mish-mash of books, cds, units...over the years. We have seen a friend w/ switched on Schoolhouse(a GED review) and it just seems like a book on the disc. You just read it on the PC instead of a page.

Thanks!

I am looking at teaching textbooks for alg2 and geometry(been with Math U See for years) My boys like MUYS but I swear I am doing half the work with them so I can remember and quickly answer , correct if they need help.

We are thinking of changing it up for the last couple years, plus I know my younger one thinks it'll be quicker for him to zip thru the classes and work. Not sure if that will be the case, but he loves all things to do with the PC.

Any thoughts would be a help before ordering the next level of all subjects.

Time4Learning now has high school classes if you want to check them out they have a 2 week free trial. You pick 4 classes at a time.

I'll def ck that out.

Our county in Fla-Broward- has there own online program. You don't even get to go thru Fla Virtual due to that, and they are not in the running.

Has anyone used Mcruffy for math? (I am thinking about using the first grade book next year.) thanks!

I'll def ck that out.

Our county in Fla-Broward- has there own online program. You don't even get to go thru Fla Virtual due to that, and they are not in the running.

We did Florida Virtual for 3 years, it was a good program but much more "school at home" than Time4Learning, since you are the teacher. I liked FLVS because my teenager had to listen to someone else and I could be mom and not teacher, and with her that was better.

Sigh....My oldest is most likely going to go to public school in the fall for her last two years of high school. She will be ahead academically (she will have all her English credits completed before she sets foot in the door!) but really wants the social aspect. The number of teens in our local groups has been going down pretty steadily and her closest friends graduate this year. So, it looks like no more off season trips for us for a while. Boo hoo! We may try to go this summer, which we usually avoid like the plague. We would have to go in July, schools start here on August 7th! Or I am thinking maybe Thanksgiving week, which I know will be packed plus the points for our DVC go WAY up during holidays. (And no YES program tickets either, another $400 in savings we will miss out on.) Or maybe, horror of horrors, we will wait until school gets out NEXT year and go May 2015. We are already going to the beach in May this year and she is taking a compressed online class in June so neither of those will work this year. I have been contemplating bribing her to stay home by promising a trip in October or January but I do want her to make the decision with out me pressuring her. Oh well, we've had it good with off season trips for the past 8 years so I guess I shouldn't complain TOO much!

Are there any online homeschoolers here?

My oldest two ages 15 and 13 attend Alpha Omega Academy and do the online program Ignitia. It used to be Switched-On Online - based on the Switched On Schoolhouse program. They will receive a high school diploma.
My 8 and 7 year olds use time4learning currently but the 8 year old will start Monarch (online) later this year. I will move them to Ignitia around 8th-9th grade.
I also have a 4 year old and a 2 year old who will follow suit.
We start them out on starfall.com and click2read (ages 2-6) move to time4learning (age 7 or so) (we have also used elementaryplanet.com), then move to Monarch (around 9) then by high school level finish up with Ignitia.
We are looking into Liberty College for online courses for after graduation.

We have always homeschooled. My firstborn I made up my own curriculum the first year then moved to boxes sets until finding online "schools". He did use Switched on schoolhouse cd's for a few years. I prefer online now because about 10 years ago I started my own home based business and I just don't have time to do everything.

My business has grown and I work close to full time and they can do their schoolwork on their own. Each child has their own computer and they have school hours during my work hours. Works out great :)

I will look into Alpha Omega Acad.-online. I like the idea of not being the teacher all the time.

I just got the catalog for our may homeschool show at Gaylord and will be doing as much research ahead of time as possible.

Thanks again for input.

Hi! I'm newer to these boards. I homeschool my ds age 9 and dd age 7 and we live in MN.

We are planning a trip to WDW in September and I ran across the info for the Carolina Homeschool group's September Disney trip and am contemplating joining them since it coincides with the dates I was already planning on.

Has anyone gone with this group before? Would you recommend it? I'd love some feedback as I'm trying to decide for sure what we want to do.

Thanks!

I am going with them this year for the first time. I also joined their accountabily group, since I'm a SC Homeschooler. I know several people who have been on other trips with them.

My oldest two ages 15 and 13 attend Alpha Omega Academy and do the online program Ignitia. It used to be Switched-On Online - based on the Switched On Schoolhouse program. They will receive a high school diploma.
My 8 and 7 year olds use time4learning currently but the 8 year old will start Monarch (online) later this year. I will move them to Ignitia around 8th-9th grade.
I also have a 4 year old and a 2 year old who will follow suit.
We start them out on starfall.com and click2read (ages 2-6) move to time4learning (age 7 or so) (we have also used elementaryplanet.com), then move to Monarch (around 9) then by high school level finish up with Ignitia.
We are looking into Liberty College for online courses for after graduation.

We have always homeschooled. My firstborn I made up my own curriculum the first year then moved to boxes sets until finding online "schools". He did use Switched on schoolhouse cd's for a few years. I prefer online now because about 10 years ago I started my own home based business and I just don't have time to do everything.

My business has grown and I work close to full time and they can do their schoolwork on their own. Each child has their own computer and they have school hours during my work hours. Works out great :)

I was just looking at elementaryplanet.com and there are no examples of the curriculum, is it similar to time4learning?

Can anyone give me suggestion on a HS level , either on line or video based, subjects? Language, Sci, Math, History, Bible...

We've homeschooled for yrs-both boys in HS now and we've always done a mish-mash of books, cds, units...over the years. We have seen a friend w/ switched on Schoolhouse(a GED review) and it just seems like a book on the disc. You just read it on the PC instead of a page.

Thanks!

I am looking at teaching textbooks for alg2 and geometry(been with Math U See for years) My boys like MUYS but I swear I am doing half the work with them so I can remember and quickly answer , correct if they need help.

We are thinking of changing it up for the last couple years, plus I know my younger one thinks it'll be quicker for him to zip thru the classes and work. Not sure if that will be the case, but he loves all things to do with the PC.

Any thoughts would be a help before ordering the next level of all subjects.

We love Teaching Textbooks! My kids are avid readers, but they do not like doing school with just textbooks, so a computer program like Teaching Textbooks works well to switch things up a bit. I have also used Switched on Schoolhouse before and it did not work well for us. In my particular situation, if the kids didn't enter answer exactly how they wanted it, I had to correct it manually (especially Language). Things may have changed since then, but I was really frustrated with the program. I know others that love it, though!
I am using My Father's World for elementary aged kids as well as high schoolers. I am really happy with it! My daughter does Apologia science on the computer as well.

Oh my was this a wonderful thread to find!!! Its taken me a week to read through it but now have a great starting off point for research.

DD is just 21 months so we are thinking ahead and starting too look into it. However this thread alone has pretty much convinced us to go the homeschooling route. We are torn between our state's virtual school (Ga)or going our own route. Would love to find a list of requirements for our state if someone can point me in the right direction.

As for Pre K... does anybody know what the overall objectives of pre-k are? Isn't mainly colors, shapes, numbers (she can already count to 3), the alphabet, and knowing your name address and phone number.

Also If anyone can point me to some ga based groups and co-opps DH and are are looking into all options.

Like many, the idea of homeschooling is getting quiet the resistance from the family.

Thanks ladies for the help. And what a wonderful thread this is!!!!

Oh my was this a wonderful thread to find!!! Its taken me a week to read through it but now have a great starting off point for research.

DD is just 21 months so we are thinking ahead and starting too look into it. However this thread alone has pretty much convinced us to go the homeschooling route. We are torn between our state's virtual school (Ga)or going our own route. Would love to find a list of requirements for our state if someone can point me in the right direction.

As for Pre K... does anybody know what the overall objectives of pre-k are? Isn't mainly colors, shapes, numbers (she can already count to 3), the alphabet, and knowing your name address and phone number.

Also If anyone can point me to some ga based groups and co-opps DH and are are looking into all options.

Like many, the idea of homeschooling is getting quiet the resistance from the family.

Thanks ladies for the help. And what a wonderful thread this is!!!!

Where in GA are you looking? I have some resources for the Augusta/Evans area.

As for objectives, I did not worry about it. Some kids can do lots of pretty little checklist things, some kids can't. That doesn't mean those kids are behind - my eldest was actually far ahead in many other ways. If you follow your child's lead, there's likely no need to worry about what your child should know at that age. Even in kindy, parents need to remember that there's a huge range of normal. Your ped would be able to tell you if your child is off of the basic normal range, since it really is that simple at that age.

As for GA law - nothing is mandatory until 6 years old. Standardized testing starts in GA at 8, and then every three years, but they're really laidback on what tests are accepted.

I have a question for all the homeschooling parents that have high schoolers. Ds is 13 and will start his 10th grade year in September. He wants to go ahead and take Algebra II this year. We use Teaching Textbooks, which he loves, and the program suggests a TI-83 calculator. However, I am looking at the TI-84 Plus C, the TI-Nspire Cx/Cas or the TI-83. Does anyone have a teen that preferred a particular calculator due to easy of use and quick learning curve?

Where in GA are you looking? I have some resources for the Augusta/Evans area.

As for objectives, I did not worry about it. Some kids can do lots of pretty little checklist things, some kids can't. That doesn't mean those kids are behind - my eldest was actually far ahead in many other ways. If you follow your child's lead, there's likely no need to worry about what your child should know at that age. Even in kindy, parents need to remember that there's a huge range of normal. Your ped would be able to tell you if your child is off of the basic normal range, since it really is that simple at that age.

As for GA law - nothing is mandatory until 6 years old. Standardized testing starts in GA at 8, and then every three years, but they're really laidback on what tests are accepted.

That is kind of what we've been concluding ourselves. Thats great to know about the standardized testing. I didn't realize that once you hit third grade its testing every 3 years not every year. Thats another hit against the cyber academy.

As for where we are looking.. we are in the north atl area.

Thanks for the feedback!

That is kind of what we've been concluding ourselves. Thats great to know about the standardized testing. I didn't realize that once you hit third grade its testing every 3 years not every year. Thats another hit against the cyber academy.

As for where we are looking.. we are in the north atl area.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cyber academies through the public school system are going to be far more structured than you need to be in what you do. They also usually take more hours than traditional homeschooling. However, some people love structure and K12, connections, and GA Cyber academy can work very well for them. Think about why you're homeschooling closer to the time. That will help you direct you. The people I know who didn't have luck with online public school programs were ones who didn't really know what they were getting into - they used it just because it was free or just because they were nervous about doing it without it. The good thing is that you can switch what you use fairly easily, even when switching from cyber public school programs to traditional schooling or the reverse. (Also, check out ALL the cyber options if you decide to go that route, as they're not all the exact same. I'm not sure how GA cyber is, but I've heard that SC cyber is far more flexible than connections and K12 for SC, but it's still far more rigid than would work for my style).

Cyber academies through the public school system are going to be far more structured than you need to be in what you do. They also usually take more hours than traditional homeschooling. However, some people love structure and K12, connections, and GA Cyber academy can work very well for them. Think about why you're homeschooling closer to the time. That will help you direct you. The people I know who didn't have luck with online public school programs were ones who didn't really know what they were getting into - they used it just because it was free or just because they were nervous about doing it without it. The good thing is that you can switch what you use fairly easily, even when switching from cyber public school programs to traditional schooling or the reverse. (Also, check out ALL the cyber options if you decide to go that route, as they're not all the exact same. I'm not sure how GA cyber is, but I've heard that SC cyber is far more flexible than connections and K12 for SC, but it's still far more rigid than would work for my style).

I didn't quiet realize that the connections acdemy and K12 were different. That being said the more I look into it the more confident I get that I can do this myself. Its the math part that has always worried me. (Lets just say that math and I have never gotten along well. :rotfl:)

But atleast we have time to figure stuff out. The most important descision at this point is Pre-school and I really am not seeing value of dropping $2500 a year for a glorified day care.

Oh and helpful hint I've disscovered. When asked by people involved with the education system why you might choose to home school I have found nothing shuts down their ill thought out aguments faster then the following response...

"After looking long and hard at the education system my husband and I are very uncomfortable with what No Child Left Behind has done to our school system"

I have yet to come across anyone involved with education that can give any level of retort. {But its fun to watch their faces as they try to come up with one and fail} :cool1:

I didn't quiet realize that the connections acdemy and K12 were different. That being said the more I look into it the more confident I get that I can do this myself. Its the math part that has always worried me. (Lets just say that math and I have never gotten along well. :rotfl:) But atleast we have time to figure stuff out. The most important descision at this point is Pre-school and I really am not seeing value of dropping $2500 a year for a glorified day care. Oh and helpful hint I've disscovered. When asked by people involved with the education system why you might choose to home school I have found nothing shuts down their ill thought out aguments faster then the following response... "After looking long and hard at the education system my husband and I are very uncomfortable with what No Child Left Behind has done to our school system" I have yet to come across anyone involved with education that can give any level of retort. {But its fun to watch their faces as they try to come up with one and fail} :cool1:
Even if you are not a "math person" I feel pretty sure you can at least teach elementary math. Once you get to upper level math, there are plenty of resources out there to help you through. Head over to www.ghea.org for plenty of Georgia specific information and links to local homeschool groups. We are down in Columbus but head up to Atlanta fairly regularly to visit family (in Tucker) or for a field trip (we hit the High Museum last Thursday). My oldest two went to preschool, it was just what you did. But once we started homeschooling when my oldest was in 2nd grade we just kept the other two home. I agree that you can find much better ways to spend +$200 a month than paying a preschool. My understanding is that Georgia Cyber Academy uses the K12 curriculum with modifications for Georgia's required curriculum. GCA and Connections Academy are both considered public school even though you are doing it at home, you are still required to test yearly with the CRCT at local "testing locations". For my pre-K daughter we have been using some ABC Mouse this year and she really likes it. She also does a bunch of other mix and match stuff. Since she is the youngest of four, she gets a very laid-back curriculum!

Even if you are not a "math person" I feel pretty sure you can at least teach elementary math. Once you get to upper level math, there are plenty of resources out there to help you through. Head over to www.ghea.org for plenty of Georgia specific information and links to local homeschool groups. We are down in Columbus but head up to Atlanta fairly regularly to visit family (in Tucker) or for a field trip (we hit the High Museum last Thursday). My oldest two went to preschool, it was just what you did. But once we started homeschooling when my oldest was in 2nd grade we just kept the other two home. I agree that you can find much better ways to spend +$200 a month than paying a preschool. My understanding is that Georgia Cyber Academy uses the K12 curriculum with modifications for Georgia's required curriculum. GCA and Connections Academy are both considered public school even though you are doing it at home, you are still required to test yearly with the CRCT at local "testing locations". For my pre-K daughter we have been using some ABC Mouse this year and she really likes it. She also does a bunch of other mix and match stuff. Since she is the youngest of four, she gets a very laid-back curriculum!

Thank you for explaining the differences. The more I read on here and the more I look elsewhere I am starting to think you are right. That with the right curriculum I can handle at least the elementary math, but I have moments of doubt where I think back to my nanny days where I was at times not even able to help the 4th grader with his math homework. I think this will be different though. With a teachers guide walking me through just how things are supposed to go and the things explained the right way I am pretty sure I can do it.

I think this revelation that the standardized testing is only required every 3 years but the cyber academies require unnecessary testing yearly is the kicker. Especially because one of the biggest reasons DH and I are looking into homeschooling is the Effects of No Child Left Behind and the Excess of testing has on the quality of learning. Add in that at 21 months dd shows a very clear and distinct odd ball nature to learning and absorbing the world around her that I can already clearly see that the traditional school shows little signs of success.

Thank you for explaining the differences. The more I read on here and the more I look elsewhere I am starting to think you are right. That with the right curriculum I can handle at least the elementary math, but I have moments of doubt where I think back to my nanny days where I was at times not even able to help the 4th grader with his math homework. I think this will be different though. With a teachers guide walking me through just how things are supposed to go and the things explained the right way I am pretty sure I can do it. I think this revelation that the standardized testing is only required every 3 years but the cyber academies require unnecessary testing yearly is the kicker. Especially because one of the biggest reasons DH and I are looking into homeschooling is the Effects of No Child Left Behind and the Excess of testing has on the quality of learning. Add in that at 21 months dd shows a very clear and distinct odd ball nature to learning and absorbing the world around her that I can already clearly see that the traditional school shows little signs of success.

Well, I certainly think you are on the right track! When your dd gets a bit older ( or even now since you seem like a fellow planning addict!) I would recommend checking out a curriculum fair or two. There is SO much out there for every kind of learning style. There are usually conferences in Atlanta at the end of May and in July. Some speakers are worthwhile, others less so, but the vendors alone are easily worth going! And don't sell yourself short! I have an engineering degree and have had no trouble teaching my 15yo dd through geometry but I couldn't figure out my 11yo nephew's math homework. I had no idea what they were trying to get him to do! They were using terminology I had never heard and I couldn't figure it out even after trying to Google the "concept"! There is some really weird math stuff out there right now!

http://www.southeasthomeschoolexpo.com

http://www.ghea.org/conference-2014/

Well, I certainly think you are on the right track! When your dd gets a bit older ( or even now since you seem like a fellow planning addict!) I would recommend checking out a curriculum fair or two. There is SO much out there for every kind of learning style. There are usually conferences in Atlanta at the end of May and in July. Some speakers are worthwhile, others less so, but the vendors alone are easily worth going! And don't sell yourself short! I have an engineering degree and have had no trouble teaching my 15yo dd through geometry but I couldn't figure out my 11yo nephew's math homework. I had no idea what they were trying to get him to do! They were using terminology I had never heard and I couldn't figure it out even after trying to Google the "concept"! There is some really weird math stuff out there right now!

http://www.southeasthomeschoolexpo.com

http://www.ghea.org/conference-2014/

Thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement. Luckily there are a few more friendly with math in the family.

You guessed right, I too am a fellow planner. Right now since dh and I have decided not to do the cyber academy I have started reading up on the different styles and schools of thought. We just might check out the curriculum fairs. Do they have content for you to look through? If so it might be a good starting point for digging deeper and trying to narrow down our options.

I'm just grateful that I have a dh that is a planner himself and fully supports this idea. I couldn't imagine sloughing through this without his input.

I am currently reading through Unschooling Rules (forget the author) and have A Well Trained Mind on order. I'm looking to read through the variety of view points so I can narrow things down and have a good jumping off point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter