• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Homeschool Chat Part III

Anyone else getting their curricula order together for next year? We finally found a math that the kids like that works, Saxon Math.

We need language arts help. I'm not strong in it myself so teaching it is harder than say math and science. And my son is like me, math and science oriented so it's not on his high list either. We have been using sonlight but I don't feel like it's working for us. Also my son is a difficult one to teach and we butt heads a lot. Anyone have any suggestions for us? I'm also open to online classes. Thanks!

We need language arts help. I'm not strong in it myself so teaching it is harder than say math and science. And my son is like me, math and science oriented so it's not on his high list either. We have been using sonlight but I don't feel like it's working for us. Also my son is a difficult one to teach and we butt heads a lot. Anyone have any suggestions for us? I'm also open to online classes. Thanks!

How old is your son? Is he a good reader?

We use Sonlight, but not for language arts. When my kids were very young, we had started Phonics using TATRAS (a vertical phonics program). We used it for reading and spelling. I used Rod & Staff for grammar from about 2nd-8th or 9th grade. We also used Wordly Wise books for vocabulary. I can definitely expand on this with more info. I'm thinking that if your son is in high school, my answer will sound very strange. ;)

He is 8, in 2nd grade. Reading he's pretty good. The problem is more punctuation, paragraphs, writing, etc.

He is 8, in 2nd grade. Reading he's pretty good. The problem is more punctuation, paragraphs, writing, etc.

I think that's when we started using Rod & Staff English. If the fact that it is very much based on the Bible and mennonite culture bothers you, you might want to find another option. What I like about it is that it is very basic and presents the material very simply. It is definitely "old school" grammar learning - something that gets pushed aside today. The books also cover the basics of many styles of writing. We also used some Writing Strands books starting in 3rd grade. I can't give them a full endorsement, because they weren't exactly what my girls needed. There were some books from Critical Thinking Co. that were kind of fun ways to get the ball rolling on writing, but more in the creative writing way. Does that make sense? I can't remember the names of them right now, but you could find them on the Critical Thinking Company website. Now that I look into it, they also have other language arts materials you can look into.

Sorry to ramble. I've always been stronger in math than language as well, so I am still amazed that I have ended up with children who can score 700-750 on the SATs in Writing/CR. I also credit the reading we did through Sonlight with that. You just can't beat reading good books for growing your skills in writing.

Anyone else getting their curricula order together for next year? We finally found a math that the kids like that works, Saxon Math.

Hi, We pulled DS out of school in November and have been doing math on our own but I would really like to get a book to use. We are looking at getting DS the Saxon Math. Do you purchase yours new or have you tried getting a used set of books.

Thanks

We like Voyages in English from Loyola Press. They use consumable workbooks for 1st and 2nd grade and then regular textbooks from then on. We do 1st & 2nd and then skip to the even years and spread them out over two years (ie. we use the 4th grade book for both 4th & 5th, 6th grade book for 6th & 7th). They are very comprehensive with the mechanics of language and I think they do a good job of covering writing topics.

Hi, We pulled DS out of school in November and have been doing math on our own but I would really like to get a book to use. We are looking at getting DS the Saxon Math. Do you purchase yours new or have you tried getting a used set of books.

Thanks

We got it new and got the CD-ROM. It was a little expensive, but definitely worth it. DS struggled with math but this made all the difference. He even enjoys it (a little).

Ordered our science curricula for next year and the following year. Got a deal on it because it was the first edition and the second edition is out now. :thumbsup2 Science hasn't changed that much that I feel any concern using the first edition. Also ordered our civics for the next two years.

We got it new and got the CD-ROM. It was a little expensive, but definitely worth it. DS struggled with math but this made all the difference. He even enjoys it (a little).

Thanks. I think we will be getting the new one too. DS is also struggling in math. Cant wait to get started. Hopefully, like your son, mine will also start to like math again. :)

hello, everyone I thought I would introduce myself. I have 3 kids ages 11, 9 and 5. All three are special needs. I'm not really new to homeschooling, but I am new to this board. I home school our oldest because the public schools here suck here and they were isolating him and we were having bullying issues going on which i tried to address multi. times. The straw that broke the camels back is when he tried to hurt himself cause he was tired of the bulling and the school just pooed it off our professionals agree as well they don't have his best interest at heart and he is better off being home schooled. Our other two have not had much problems and are doing OK.

hello, everyone I thought I would introduce myself. I have 3 kids ages 11, 9 and 5. All three are special needs. I'm not really new to homeschooling, but I am new to this board. I home school our oldest because the public schools here suck here and they were isolating him and we were having bullying issues going on which i tried to address multi. times. The straw that broke the camels back is when he tried to hurt himself cause he was tired of the bulling and the school just pooed it off our professionals agree as well they don't have his best interest at heart and he is better off being home schooled. Our other two have not had much problems and are doing OK.

That is awful to hear. Hope he is happier now

Thanks

I purchased Saxon 5/6 used.

I purchased Saxon 5/6 used.

Thanks for the reply vleeth. We actually ended up purchasing a new 7/6 yesterday. Unfortunately is said it is going to take about two weeks to come :sad1: I am hoping that if we work through the summer DS should be caught up to grade level.

First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind is really good. It is completely scripted, so its great for parents that aren't strong in Grammar. We're doing Rod & Staff now because FLL only goes up to 4th grade.

Thanks for the reply vleeth. We actually ended up purchasing a new 7/6 yesterday. Unfortunately is said it is going to take about two weeks to come :sad1: I am hoping that if we work through the summer DS should be caught up to grade level.

We should be starting 7/6 sometime in March or April.:thumbsup2

I actually already have it. When I did the placement testing she just made it into 7/6. We did the first 10 or so lessons and I quickly realized it was way to advanced and ordered 6/5. That was still skipping a grade level. So much of homeschool is trial and error. It almost sounds like a bad thing, but really its good. We can get what our kids need instead of what the average kid in a class needs. :cheer2:

Hope it works well for you. Everyone that I have talked to that has used it really likes it.

Welcome! I have a special needs son who is 11. We pulled him out in Feb. of last year. He was being violent, I don't know why but it's stopped since he came home. He still has his moments but it's improved a lot. Hope your son does great at home!

Welcome! I have a special needs son who is 11. We pulled him out in Feb. of last year. He was being violent, I don't know why but it's stopped since he came home. He still has his moments but it's improved a lot. Hope your son does great at home!

My guess would be because his anxiety level is greatly decreased??

My son had facial tics before he started homeschooling, but they are gone now.

My guess would be because his anxiety level is greatly decreased?? My son had facial tics before he started homeschooling, but they are gone now.
Yes, I feel anxiety and overstimulation had a lot to do with it. My son has a lot of trouble paying attention but I'd take 100 difficult days at home over one bad day at school. It had gotten really bad :(.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter