Homeschool Chat Part III

Adventure woman - I just started this year! I was too overwhelmed to pick a curriculum, so I went with Connections Academy since they do it for you.(I do 85% of teaching, but I do allow them to go to live lessons because they like interacting with the other kids).

Anyway, they assigned K math, language arts which includes reading, writing, grammar and spelling. She also has science, social studies, and art. Next semester she will trade art for technology. Oh yes, and Pe but we opted to track our activity rather than use the schools PE program.

She too is beyond her grade so I added junior great books and Mandarin Chinese. I hated the great books, just has her doing a lot of extra writing, so I am creating my own gifted reading for her.

So that's what my 2nd grader takes. We too like the flexibility. I schedule either through Connections or other homeschool groups at least 2-3 field trips a month. So far we've done or having coming up a Lego robotics class, bug field trip( they let them all go) tagging and feeding butterflies, live farm,
Military base and museum, historical railroad, constitution center, play for wizard of oz, Franklin institute.... You get the idea! Good luck

:wave2: Hi Homeschoolers!!

I'm going to post a separate thread, but it looks like there are a lot of wise teachers in this thread so I'll check here too. I'm looking for beginning chapter books to bring with us on our Disney World trip. I have a 9yo who's not a strong reader and a 7yo who is barely beginning chapter books. The 9yo is currently enjoying "Who Was Walt Disney?" but that's about as advanced as she gets right now for reading. I've heard of the Kingdom Keepers books, but I think those might be too scary for her. We'll be visiting all the parks, so maybe some books regarding the countries in Epcot or the animals in Animal Kingdom will be good. I know there are some Disney Fairies books, but I don't know how well those are written.

Thank you for any help you can give me!!

Hi Everyone. We are seriously considering pulling DS who is in 7th grade out of public school and homeschooling him. He has ADHD and is having problems academically and socially. Is this possible to do with both parents working full time? We could teach lessons in the early evening and give him work to do during the day. He would be with grandparents (or parents working from home) during the day that could support him.

TIA

Hi Everyone. We are seriously considering pulling DS who is in 7th grade out of public school and homeschooling him. He has ADHD and is having problems academically and socially. Is this possible to do with both parents working full time? We could teach lessons in the early evening and give him work to do during the day. He would be with grandparents (or parents working from home) during the day that could support him.

TIA

You know your child best. If he will do the work you assign, go for it. :thumbsup2 My 7th grader son for the most part is pretty good at getting his work done. Some might need more supervision. I met a mom with a 13yo that was being bullied. After many attempts to have it fixed, she pulled him out. She gives him a lesson plan and he gets himself up and often finishes that plan and the next day's plan.

So yes, it is possible as long as your state allows for it.:thumbsup2

Hi Everyone. We are seriously considering pulling DS who is in 7th grade out of public school and homeschooling him. He has ADHD and is having problems academically and socially. Is this possible to do with both parents working full time? We could teach lessons in the early evening and give him work to do during the day. He would be with grandparents (or parents working from home) during the day that could support him. TIA

It is absolutely doable. And if it works best for him to do it in the afternoon or early evening, then have him do the work then. Flexibility is a major perk to homeschooling!

Thanks for your replies sweetlovin' and momimouse27. We are excited and nervous about this change. I think it will be good for all of us. School has always been a struggle for him and a headache for us. DS is advanced in some areas and behind in a few others. The school does not have any kind of advanced/gifted program (he is advanced in Science and Computers) and it has been like pulling teeth to get him help in math and writing which he struggles with. I think the one on one instruction will do him wonders!

Glad to help Pooh. I started HSing when my oldest daughter was in
3rd grade, and she is now a junior in college. I'm so proud of her! :)

This same daughter made so high on her Cogat verbal that she was tested in public school (2nd grade) for gifted. Problem was, she got low scores in math, and they said she couldn't get in because of that. In one year at home, she learned all her multiplication tables that they said she couldn't do at school. Sounds like your son could be a prime candidate and do really well.

I pulled my son out of ps back in March. He is autistic and he's done so well since then. He's not perfect, and we can both lose our tempers sometimes, but we work it out and many of the behavioral issues he had at school have either diminished greatly or disappeared altogether.

Good luck! :flower3:

Thanks for your replies sweetlovin' and momimouse27. We are excited and nervous about this change. I think it will be good for all of us. School has always been a struggle for him and a headache for us. DS is advanced in some areas and behind in a few others. The school does not have any kind of advanced/gifted program (he is advanced in Science and Computers) and it has been like pulling teeth to get him help in math and writing which he struggles with. I think the one on one instruction will do him wonders!

I started this year with both of mine. My 7th grader is ahead in math, science, history, and writing. However, he didn't know how to identify an adverb. However, no one from his former school seems to know the parts of speech. I think in their school, they dropped the ball for other things they found more important (like state testing)

It's scary at first and you start to think, "can I really do this?" Once you start, you will realize that you absolutely can and you will be more efficient than the PS system. Just be prepared for a curve for both of you. My 3rd and 7th grader fell right into it. My 5th grader had a harder time adjusting and is still getting her footing. She just started 3 weeks ago, but seems to have just started to settle into a routine.

Best of luck to you and your son. Please keep in touch and let us know how it is going. I know these boards have been great for me and helpful for support, information, and overall, gave me a little comfort into taking the huge leap.:flower3:

I am looking at HS options for our family next year but need time to get things in order. DS is a competitive gymnast an practices run until 730 three nights a week. School here starts at 7am so by Friday he is simply done. If school started a little later this would not be an issue at all.

I have narrowed the options down to two. One: Connections Academy- I like the idea of having an accredited program with some structure and assistance. I'm hoping we should be able to get most of our work done in about 4-5 hours a day since we are eliminating the transition time of 24 kids. I know there will need to be some planning on my part but I supplement his PS education already so that is nothing new.

Option #2: is a private school 1 day a week for humanities and then the rest at home. I like this option because I would have one day to do some planning and get a few things done.

Any experience with either connections academy or other hybrid programs?

I have used Connections in the past and I know there are a few others that have been on there. I liked it for many reason, my son is in soccer and trains 4 hours a night, so school hours were not working at all. If she is not traveling during the week, Connections is a great alternative. However, this year, my7th grader started in Connections. He was ahead in school about 2 weeks in the schedule. We went to Disney for 3 days in the middle of Sept, came back and he had study guides that had to be completed for tests he had already taken. the teachers had just put them after we left.

Now, here in Ga, Connections is very very new, so it could be a lot smoother in your state. Overall, I loved Connections for many many things. My son became a much better writer because he had papers due every week in different subjects along with a paper due every other week for GT language arts. He wasn't a very good writer when we pulled him from regular PS, but after 2 years of paper after paper, he is an excellent writer.

Overall, I have loved the few teachers at Connections. I cannot say enough about how awesome they were. Do make sure she is able to get to every live lesson. They truly make a huge difference in getting better relationships with the teachers.

As far as the one day school, there is a family in my neighborhood that has 4 grown college aged kids and they went to high school two days a week and did the rest at home. They loved it!! Hopefully others here will have more opinions and experiences with both

Good luck in your decision

I am looking at HS options for our family next year but need time to get things in order. DS is a competitive gymnast an practices run until 730 three nights a week. School here starts at 7am so by Friday he is simply done. If school started a little later this would not be an issue at all.

I have narrowed the options down to two. One: Connections Academy- I like the idea of having an accredited program with some structure and assistance. I'm hoping we should be able to get most of our work done in about 4-5 hours a day since we are eliminating the transition time of 24 kids. I know there will need to be some planning on my part but I supplement his PS education already so that is nothing new.

Option #2: is a private school 1 day a week for humanities and then the rest at home. I like this option because I would have one day to do some planning and get a few things done.

Time4Learning has a high school program now that might be worth looking into. My daughter moved from Florida Virtual School to this, and so far it is going well. We moved out of state, so this is why she changed. We like the flexibility and that it is still a computer based curriculum.

my daughter does time4learning high school. So far, I like it. The only problem we've had with her is retaining info without any notes on paper. She has had to start practicing taking notes-something she doesn't like because she wasn't doing well at the quizzes.

But overall I actually am pleased. My 10 year old son is doing it too, for math and language arts.

my daughter does time4learning high school. So far, I like it. The only problem we've had with her is retaining info without any notes on paper. She has had to start practicing taking notes-something she doesn't like because she wasn't doing well at the quizzes. But overall I actually am pleased. My 10 year old son is doing it too, for math and language arts.

My son does T4L for high school too. You did know that you can print a transcript for each lesson, right? Helps so much!

While I don't have any experience with either of those, I'd just like to add something. Try not to focus too much on accreditation. It's a word that gets thrown around a lot, but there is really no benefit in enrolling in an accredited homeschool program. What will impress colleges is your child's transcript showing what classes they have completed, not whether the organization proctoring the classes is accredited. Just my $.02. :)

I started this year with both of mine. My 7th grader is ahead in math, science, history, and writing. However, he didn't know how to identify an adverb. However, no one from his former school seems to know the parts of speech. I think in their school, they dropped the ball for other things they found more important (like state testing)

It's scary at first and you start to think, "can I really do this?" Once you start, you will realize that you absolutely can and you will be more efficient than the PS system. Just be prepared for a curve for both of you. My 3rd and 7th grader fell right into it. My 5th grader had a harder time adjusting and is still getting her footing. She just started 3 weeks ago, but seems to have just started to settle into a routine.

Best of luck to you and your son. Please keep in touch and let us know how it is going. I know these boards have been great for me and helpful for support, information, and overall, gave me a little comfort into taking the huge leap.:flower3:

Hi sweetlovin. I have a question for you. With your 7th grader ahead in some subjects and at grade level in others how do you teach? I mean do you use a program and just work ahead in the areas that you need to? Do you pick different programs to use for each subject area? We are ready to get started, but not sure where to start......:) Thanks

While I don't have any experience with either of those, I'd just like to add something. Try not to focus too much on accreditation. It's a word that gets thrown around a lot, but there is really no benefit in enrolling in an accredited homeschool program. What will impress colleges is your child's transcript showing what classes they have completed, not whether the organization proctoring the classes is accredited. Just my $.02. :)

I am not 100% positive that this is not true, but I do know that my nephew was denied college entrance because his mother had created a transcript that he had taken classes yet they weren't from an accredited school thus the college would not count them. The accrediting makes sure that the content that is supposed to be in the class IS in fact in the class. If the class/school is not accredited it could be teaching anything for a said course.

Hi sweetlovin. I have a question for you. With your 7th grader ahead in some subjects and at grade level in others how do you teach? I mean do you use a program and just work ahead in the areas that you need to? Do you pick different programs to use for each subject area? We are ready to get started, but not sure where to start......:) Thanks

I just want to chime in on this. My daughter is in 7th grade. One of the biggest joys of HS is being able to zone in on what your child needs. I do not use a single program. I pick and choose different curriculum based on my daughters needs.

I started HS in the middle of 4th grade. We needed to play catch up on some things and were leaps and bounds ahead in others. I did have the advantage of being a public school teacher for years but on the high school level. I also have a tendency to overbuy and there are times you need to tweak what you are doing.

As of today, we are using books intended for 6th through 10th grade. She is way ahead on verbal skills so we are using 10th grade Wordly Wise, for example. We just started at 5th grade and have completed each text. I also purchased a 6th grade Daily Grams quite a while back but never finished the book so we are finishing it up now. Nothing wrong with spending 5 minutes a day going over good grammar skills and making sure you know the rules.

I use Saxon math but needed some review of fractions and decimals and picked up something else to just zero in on those skills for a month or so and got right back to the rhythm of Saxon and are over half way through what would be 8th grade math.

It is always a challenge but you are one on one and able to go as fast or as slowly as needed. It is a journey you will be glad you took. Best of luck.

I am not 100% positive that this is not true, but I do know that my nephew was denied college entrance because his mother had created a transcript that he had taken classes yet they weren't from an accredited school thus the college would not count them. The accrediting makes sure that the content that is supposed to be in the class IS in fact in the class. If the class/school is not accredited it could be teaching anything for a said course.

Like I said, it was just my $.02. I'm sorry that your nephew had that problem. Sounds like that college was really not up with the times, or did not want homeschoolers in their ranks. Was he denied enrollment at all the colleges he applied to? Or just the one? Most colleges are not like that, and take SAT/ACT scores and application essays into account more than the accreditation of a homeschool curriculum. In my experience, curriculum publishers use accreditation to jack up the prices of their product. There are thousands of unschoolers in college, they definitely have no accreditation. Many families find an eclectic approach to homeschooling fits their families. I know for a fact that Saxon math (very poplular homeschooling math program) is not an accredited program. Does this mean that those math classes shouldn't count? No, because Saxon is a recognized program. but is it accredited? No. Finally, I would be willing to bet that many public and/or private schools in any given state are not accredited for one reason or another. Yet, these kids are getting into colleges too.
I would strongly suggest that your nephew's family ask that college to reevaluate their policy, as they are still in the dark ages.
Sorry if I sound so passionate about this, I just hate to see new homeschoolers taken for a ride when they are just starting out, it may steer them away from how wonderful homeschooling can be.

We are considering homeschooling our DD7. She is currently in a private Christian school but she isn't being challenged. She is currently in 2nd grade. As of last March, she was at about a 2.5 level for math and 4.9 level for reading. She catches onto things very easily.

So, a I am researching homeschooling I have a few questions:
- HOW do you choose which curriculum for each subject?
- What curriculum do you think are a must have for a 2nd grader? (ie - I know I need to find something for math, grammar, spelling - but do you also recommend buying a curriculum for history, science, etc - or do you just work on different things that interest her?)
- This is all so new to me, which is probably why it scares me to death to homeschool her. So, I am just trying to absorb all the info I can!

Good morning! So, we started homeschooling about a week and a half ago and I/WE LOVE IT!! It makes me laugh that I was so worried about it before - but all is going great. She is such a sponge and it is so much fun to just research stuff and answer questions that she may have. The only 'problem' I have is that she doesn't want to stop when we are done for the day....she wants to keep going so I don't get my 'free time' I used to have! haha But it is so nice to know that this is perfect for her right now.

Just wanted to address the parent issued diploma and transcript...all colleges we have encountered have a process in place to deal with homeschoolers.
Some even actively recruit homeschoolers.
In most cases, they give more weight to the SAT or ACT score of the student, and want to see college prep classes on the transcript.
Not one has said anything about "accredited."
Some want to see a list of materials used, or books read, or that kind of thing.
Most seem to put a lot of emphasis on the student's entrance essay.

Some students might have a hard time getting into competitive schools...the same as any brick and mortar school student might...not as much because they were homeschooled, but because the requirements are high.
That said, there are homeschoolers that graduate high school at 14 and go to college...so...I don't think being homeschooled is a much a problem any more.

The only issue we have run into is one school wants my dd to have a level of math she hasn't had.
so even though she has graduated from our homeschool (took a year off to work as a nanny), she has picked up the math book and is doing the work.

Hope that encourages those who are earlier in the journey than we are...I think it will get even better for hs-ers as time goes by because there will be so many of them entering college.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter