Homeschool Chat Part III

That's what I plan to do, and yes he originally said it was up to me but has since changed his mind. The problem is that I have looked up the education system in this country and have seen how bad it is, he has not. He has no exposure to how the US is falling behind in major subjects, his mother is from Finland (right now #1 education system in the world) and she supports me home schooling! I am overly frustrated right now and worried. He has told me that I will not be able to convince him home schooling is the best. Like I said one of us is going to loose and I fear it will be me.

My original plan was to home school until my daughter got pulled for the charter school 1. I was not thinking it would happen so soon and 2. why would I stop now when she is learning so great? I mean she is 5 and already has 21 sight words these are words she can pick out of a book and read. Tomorrow we are staring 100 easy lesson's to teach your child to read and I know she is going to do great at it. I wish she already knew how to read because if she was to read a book to him I know that would change his mind. I am so happy I have you guys on here I do not know what I would do if I did not have people to talk to who understand. He is trying to tell me I can still do the lessons with her after school but what is the point then of sending her to school?

Such a tough spot to be in. It is so difficult when spouses are not on the same page. All I can suggest is to talk it out. Let him know why you want to homeschool. I think so many people fear homeschooling will ruin their children socially. Reassure him that you will make of point of getting your daughter out there for social opportunities. I quite frankly feel the social aspect of school is overrated.

As for schools being able to do better than you--not true. How can it be? What could be better than a highly invested, loving teaching giving one to one instruction? Nothing. Good luck. Try not to think of it as one of you winning. Tough though.

Joining in here, definitely needing the support of homeschoolers! My daughter is in 9th grade and I have pulled her out of school. It's not that anything happened at school, she just isn't comfortable there and doesn't feel like she fits in (this has been ongoing for years).
The school has been wonderful and encouraging with my decision. My son, 11th grade, will remain in public school.
We are just beginning to look at curriculum, there are SO many options it's almost overwhelming. So glad to find this thread on the Dis :goodvibes

That's what I plan to do, and yes he originally said it was up to me but has since changed his mind. The problem is that I have looked up the education system in this country and have seen how bad it is, he has not. He has no exposure to how the US is falling behind in major subjects, his mother is from Finland (right now #1 education system in the world) and she supports me home schooling! I am overly frustrated right now and worried. He has told me that I will not be able to convince him home schooling is the best. Like I said one of us is going to loose and I fear it will be me.

My original plan was to home school until my daughter got pulled for the charter school 1. I was not thinking it would happen so soon and 2. why would I stop now when she is learning so great? I mean she is 5 and already has 21 sight words these are words she can pick out of a book and read. Tomorrow we are staring 100 easy lesson's to teach your child to read and I know she is going to do great at it. I wish she already knew how to read because if she was to read a book to him I know that would change his mind. I am so happy I have you guys on here I do not know what I would do if I did not have people to talk to who understand. He is trying to tell me I can still do the lessons with her after school but what is the point then of sending her to school?

My DH was not originally in favor of home school either. I say invite your DH to sit down and see what you and your DD are doing at home. Let him see the materials as well as your interaction with your daughter. (You may have to do this on a Saturday, depending on your DH's work schedule.) Once my DH saw what we were doing along with my boys' Stanford Achievement Test Scores, he was definitely convinced. Best wishes to you!

Where is the best place to purchase Life of Fred books. Also, I was thinking of starting with ice cream and/or jelly beans. He is a 5th grader but needs to go back to multiplication.

BTW Brand new Homeschooler!!!!!! Thank you all so much for such great information!!!!!!:cool1:

Where is the best place to purchase Life of Fred books. Also, I was thinking of starting with ice cream and/or jelly beans. He is a 5th grader but needs to go back to multiplication.

BTW Brand new Homeschooler!!!!!! Thank you all so much for such great information!!!!!!:cool1:

I ordered a LOF stats book from Rainbow Resource. It was part of a larger order though and included free shipping. Ymmv

Everyone thank you for your support. My daughter did start the charter school this week :sad: she is adjusting great and now starting to have fun. I hope one day to be able to return to home schooling but I know this will not be possible in the near future. Again thank you for all the help and advice you have given and I wish you all the best of luck as your school year continues. pixiedust:

Where is the best place to purchase Life of Fred books. Also, I was thinking of starting with ice cream and/or jelly beans. He is a 5th grader but needs to go back to multiplication. BTW Brand new Homeschooler!!!!!! Thank you all so much for such great information!!!!!!:cool1:

I order ours from Z-Twist books. They also offer free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Like the others mentioned directly from Z-Twist; Lifeoffredmath.com or Rainbow Resource.

If you need to go back to multiplication you will want to begin with Goldfish that is where multiplication is first covered.

We preferred Phonics Pathways to 100 EZLessons.

I used it for the first two kids.

Then, for number 3, I used CLE's program because it was more independent. Yeah, I was tired and had more things to teach.

Dawn

I do not home school but I was wondering what type of lesson is best for reading? My little girl is having trouble reading. She is in 1st grade. I would love any suggestions or advice.

Joining in here, definitely needing the support of homeschoolers! My daughter is in 9th grade and I have pulled her out of school. It's not that anything happened at school, she just isn't comfortable there and doesn't feel like she fits in (this has been ongoing for years).
The school has been wonderful and encouraging with my decision. My son, 11th grade, will remain in public school.
We are just beginning to look at curriculum, there are SO many options it's almost overwhelming. So glad to find this thread on the Dis :goodvibes

Welcome to the group!! We just put our 7th grader in 9th grade because he was already in Ancient World History and Algebra. So I ordered biology with specimens and dissection kits, Excellence In Writing, and 9th grammar. It was not cheap, I think we spent 700-900, but I know in the end this will be better for him. I have 1 in public school and two home schooling, brand new to this as well. I've been at it for 3 weeks and so far, my kids LOVE it. I am finding new classes and fun things all the time for my area.

My kids weren't having a problem. We just go on vacations too often to fit into the school schedules.

I wanted to welcome you!! We can attempt to teach 9th grade together:goodvibes

Everyone thank you for your support. My daughter did start the charter school this week :sad: she is adjusting great and now starting to have fun. I hope one day to be able to return to home schooling but I know this will not be possible in the near future. Again thank you for all the help and advice you have given and I wish you all the best of luck as your school year continues. pixiedust:

((HUGS)) I hope she thrives in her school. Best of luck to both of you

Welcome to the group!! We just put our 7th grader in 9th grade because he was already in Ancient World History and Algebra. So I ordered biology with specimens and dissection kits, Excellence In Writing, and 9th grammar. It was not cheap, I think we spent 700-900, but I know in the end this will be better for him. I have 1 in public school and two home schooling, brand new to this as well. I've been at it for 3 weeks and so far, my kids LOVE it. I am finding new classes and fun things all the time for my area. My kids weren't having a problem. We just go on vacations too often to fit into the school schedules. I wanted to welcome you!! We can attempt to teach 9th grade together:goodvibes

Thank you for welcoming me :)
After looking over curriculums we ended up choosing Easy Peasy homeschool. She absolutely LOVES it! It's all online with some printables.
I am on the verge of pulling my son from public school now. Things are quickly going downhill for him. He has an IEP and has been receiving special services since pre-k (now in 11th). The district decided this year to put all those kids in the regular ed classrooms. It's NOT working.

Thank you for welcoming me :)
After looking over curriculums we ended up choosing Easy Peasy homeschool. She absolutely LOVES it! It's all online with some printables.
I am on the verge of pulling my son from public school now. Things are quickly going downhill for him. He has an IEP and has been receiving special services since pre-k (now in 11th). The district decided this year to put all those kids in the regular ed classrooms. It's NOT working.

UGH!! That doesn't work for either group :( I hope whatever decision, his school year get easier for him. I would love to get my 5th grader out of school, but she is so happy right now, I would feel guilty pulling her.

I am in the Well Trained Mind Curriculum for the most part. A few exceptions are Apologia Bio and Analytical Grammar. I'll have to look into easy peasy. I haven't heard of it

Ugh. Today was one of those days...my 10 yr old was a terror. All he wants to do in reality is play video games all day, and he knows he can't. But I catch him rushing through his work, so I had to make a rule for no video games til 3:30. Some days he's really in tune and focused but not today!

Hoping tomorrow is better :/

Ugh. Today was one of those days...my 10 yr old was a terror. All he wants to do in reality is play video games all day, and he knows he can't. But I catch him rushing through his work, so I had to make a rule for no video games til 3:30. Some days he's really in tune and focused but not today! Hoping tomorrow is better :/

We all have those days! I've had to take my 12yo dd's iPod away many a time since she would rather watch Youtubers than do Latin. ;) keep your chin up!

Ugh. Today was one of those days...my 10 yr old was a terror. All he wants to do in reality is play video games all day, and he knows he can't. But I catch him rushing through his work, so I had to make a rule for no video games til 3:30. Some days he's really in tune and focused but not today!

I have many of those days with my 11yr old DS. The start of the year worked out good, now I see him getting back in to his old ways. I see another talk is coming and he won't like it.:)

I hope tomorrow is better for both of you

Hello all-

New homeschooling mom here. I've got a 4th grader, 2nd grade and a pre-K guy who didn't make the K cut off.

We are going to Disney in Feb/March and I'm looking for ideas to "count" hours during our trip. Is this the right thread to ask for ideas? I know we will do the animal walks and a trip to conservation station in AK. I'm sure we will do the furture world stuff, and some time Living with the Seas...and I guess the land too.

Lots of people suggest the countries, but what specifically do you have the kids do other than watch the movies in Canada, France and China? Talk to cast members? Ideas for what they should ask?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated and if I'm in the wrong thread, possibly re-direct?

At the very least, didn't know this was here, and now I am subscribed! We do Connections in Pa.

Hello all-

New homeschooling mom here. I've got a 4th grader, 2nd grade and a pre-K guy who didn't make the K cut off.

We are going to Disney in Feb/March and I'm looking for ideas to "count" hours during our trip. Is this the right thread to ask for ideas? I know we will do the animal walks and a trip to conservation station in AK. I'm sure we will do the furture world stuff, and some time Living with the Seas...and I guess the land too.

Lots of people suggest the countries, but what specifically do you have the kids do other than watch the movies in Canada, France and China? Talk to cast members? Ideas for what they should ask?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated and if I'm in the wrong thread, possibly re-direct?

At the very least, didn't know this was here, and now I am subscribed! We do Connections in Pa.

Welcome to the group :)

We don't have to turn hours in for my state, but Disneyyouth.com has disney classes. If you are on a package or have APs that isn't worth it.

I'm sure there will be many others with excellent ideas.

Thanks!

yes, we have AP's so to fork over another $365 for three kids for homeschool days is rather much. Slowly I am finding bits and pieces of ideas all over the web and will certainly read over the many pages here in the coming months.

Looking forward to hearing anything you all have to suggest!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter