Homeschool Chat Part III

Has anyone here used Oak Meadow for High School? If so could you please give a short review of it. Does it provide learning opportunities for kids that are out side the box thinkers or is it all writing? We are thinking about using it for my ds who has dyslexia and dysgraphia next year for 9th grade.TIA:)

Did you ever have one of those mornings with your children that you wonder if you should have just put them on the school bus with the neighborhood kids? :scared::scared::furious::furious::scared::scared: I love homeschooling, really I do. I love homeschooling. I love homeschooling. If I keep saying it, will I feel it today :lmao:

floydfamily4 said:
Did you ever have one of those mornings with your children that you wonder if you should have just put them on the school bus with the neighborhood kids? :scared::scared::furious::furious::scared::scared: I love homeschooling, really I do. I love homeschooling. I love homeschooling. If I keep saying it, will I feel it today :lmao:

Are you in my house today!? My son was difficult this morning. And I feel like this quickly thrown together curriculum is not everything he needs, but more books are not in the budget right now! He tries to rush through so he can finish, and also my house is too noisy and busy. :( I'm going to have to get a handle on it all...it feels a little chaotic.

On days when I can see that things are getting crazy and loud, I call around to our 2 local libraries and see if anyone has private study rooms available (and they always do). We hop in the car and off we go to take our lessons on the road.

We're only been at this 2 weeks and it seems we have ended up there once last week and once this week. It's fun for them and as it is a different place to study along with being the library it makes a world of difference!!

I need help figuring out how this will work.

Next year I will have a K & 6th. We had applied to two charter schools for the 6th but e didn't get into either. He may still get into one, but I need to figure out what I'm doing if he doesn't.

I wanted K to be a fun field trip, activity based year. With my 6th grader home that is not going to be doable. :-(. This kid takes 8-9 hours to do his work. It's just who he is. If I give him one sheet of math or a full load of work it will always take 8 hours. He will only work at home.

So, how do I make K fun and still educate the older one? I'm only planning Phonics(LOE) and math (Saxon or Math Mammoth) for formal studies. We might do magic schoolbus (videos and books) for science if we can work it in without stress. I have Sonlight K that we use as story time at night, nthing formal. Both boys will hav Classical Conversations, but for the K I don't require memory. What he gets he gets (and he loves it.)

Nicolepa said:
I wanted K to be a fun field trip, activity based year. With my 6th grader home that is not going to be doable. :-(. This kid takes 8-9 hours to do his work. It's just who he is. If I give him one sheet of math or a full load of work it will always take 8 hours. He will only work at home.

I'm not sure I understand. Why does it take him 8 hours to do one math lesson? Honestly 8 hours is a really long time for even a "full load" of work unless there is some kind of problem/issue that you didn't mention. You should still be able to have a fun year with both of your children. I would look into unit studies. They are perfect for the kind of year you are looking for! :)

I'm not sure I understand. Why does it take him 8 hours to do one math lesson? Honestly 8 hours is a really long time for even a "full load" of work unless there is some kind of problem/issue that you didn't mention. You should still be able to have a fun year with both of your children. I would look into unit studies. They are perfect for the kind of year you are looking for! :)

Trust me, I know it shouldn't, but it does. He would rather sit for 8 hours than go do something fun. Trust me, over the last 4 years I've tried everything to get him to do his work efficiently and he just won't. Like I said, it doesn't matter if he's got one subject or 10 it will take him all day. I'm done fighting him. He always gets the work done, he just rarely gets to do extra fun stuff.

We do unit studies for Bible, History & Literature. Science and math are done separately. It's not a curriculum issue, he loves the curriculum we have, it's a control issue.

Any chance of hiring a babysitter, or trading off with another homeschool mom so you can take the younger one out for fun trips? (I agree with you it sounds like a control issue.)
We homeschool year round so that allows for trip days. My kids also know there are days we will be doing at home work and days when we are out doing other learning things.
Hang in there.

Nicolepa said:
Trust me, I know it shouldn't, but it does. He would rather sit for 8 hours than go do something fun. Trust me, over the last 4 years I've tried everything to get him to do his work efficiently and he just won't. Like I said, it doesn't matter if he's got one subject or 10 it will take him all day. I'm done fighting him. He always gets the work done, he just rarely gets to do extra fun stuff.

We do unit studies for Bible, History & Literature. Science and math are done separately. It's not a curriculum issue, he loves the curriculum we have, it's a control issue.

Wow, that's tough. I hope you find something that encourages him to do what he needs to do. You know, I recently read a book called You Can't Make Me (But I Can be Persuaded) for helping strong willed kids. Not your typical book and I found it really helpful! Good luck with your school year!

Wow, that's tough. I hope you find something that encourages him to do what he needs to do. You know, I recently read a book called You Can't Make Me (But I Can be Persuaded) for helping strong willed kids. Not your typical book and I found it really helpful! Good luck with your school year!

I will have to check this book out. My pediatrician likes to say that strong willed kids are nthing compared to my boy. ;-)

Thank you jdcthree. After 4 months of this I've had enough but the message that I do not want to send to DD is "run away" but her well being is first and foremost my priority. Thanks again for the support.

If anyone is the state of NY, specifically Suffolk County has any tips for me on how to proceed with home school, I would love to chat.

Hi Gitts2008, I am new to DIS boards and was on it for travel purposes and then stumbled across this homeschool thread. Saw your posts from january as I was lurking the thread. We live in Suffolk and have decided to homeschool our DD who will be kindergarten this Sept.. I was wondering how you are doing with your decision to homeschool and if you have joined any homeschool groups in Suffolk? I joined the yahoo suffolk group and they have been very helpful with their knowledge of laws, curriculum, etc and the daily posts of special classes and activities for the kids (mostly for grades 1 and up) is fantastic!

Nicolepa said:
I will have to check this book out. My pediatrician likes to say that strong willed kids are nthing compared to my boy. ;-)

Lol! It will serve him well when he learns how to use it for good. ;)

Hi all!

So excited to find this thread! I'm a HS momma of four boys ages 14, 9, 6 & 5. I live outside of Atlanta. We are in a Classical Conversations community, but I supplement with various other curriculum - definitely more of an "eclectic" approach. :)

Is anyone on here from Georgia? I am about to pull out my autistic son and I've never pulled any of mine out during school before. They always started at the beginning of the year. I'm just wondering about the process. The GA law says you only have to notify the school.

I've been doing this for 11 years, and I'm so nervous about this. Nervous about him being different, about being able to get him to see me as a teacher and not just mom.

I have no clue what curriculum to use for a 4 th grade autistic child and no time to plan!

Momimouse27, from your posts after this one, it seems you may have already taken your son out of school? If not, it's really easy to do. You withdraw your child, and then you have 30 days to file your Declaration of Intent. Go to heir.org for the forms and process. Also, there is a lady here in Atlanta that works with families of special needs kids - and I'm pretty sure she does it for free. If your interested, PM me and I'll get you her contact info.

I'm the Mom of an 8 year old extremely gifted child. We are homeschooling him after trying every avenue at our disposal (montessori, public, "gifted" school) with no success.

We made the decision a couple of weeks into his 1st grade year. We are in grade 3 and he's doing unbelievably well. We are working on the socialization, although it's hard because, as a gifted child, his idea of socialization is not the same as many 8 year olds. We struggle with this a great deal (me more than him!).

Hi Dee :wave: I'd like to suggest searching on Yahoo! Groups for "Homeschooling Talented and Gifted" or HSGifted. It's a great group for support and advice, and you may find some other families in your area, too.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

I threaten my son with calling the bus to come get him at least once a week. Sometimes I really want to!

Hello everyone,
I have a 2nd grader who is in public school. She has not been able to attend school for several months due to health issues. We are still waiting on the school to approve her to have a tutor for medical leave but they are taking their own sweet time even though we have Dr. approval.
Do you guys know if there are any good programs that I can purchase for the time being? She loves the computer, so is there anything like "abc mouse.com" for a 2nd grader? TIA!

Somer, I used http://www.time4learning.com/ for a semester to catch up a 6th grader on a3,4and 5 grade level. It worked. And she thought it fun, sometimes challenging.

Everything has its pros and cons, but I liked this site SO much better than ABC mouse, as far as being"on level". Good Luck...2nd grade is good.

And, hello fellow HSer's! :wave2:
We do, too.
And we're all awesome for doing it, aren't we:faint::badpc::mic::duck::love::cool1:

It's a wonderful life around this kitchen table, cereal on top of spelling, markers in the cereal, this morning!

Readerbug said:
Somer, I used http://www.time4learning.com/ for a semester to catch up a 6th grader on a3,4and 5 grade level. It worked. And she thought it fun, sometimes challenging.

Everything has its pros and cons, but I liked this site SO much better than ABC mouse, as far as being"on level". Good Luck...2nd grade is good.

Thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter