Homeschool Chat Part III

lucigo said:
What curriculums have you settled in with? I'm always curious to hear what works for different kids.

We are using Teaching Textbooks 7 for Math, Rainbow for Science, a combination of Focus on History (America) and the school text for Social Studies, and Language Arts we started with Rod and Staff (what was I thinking!!!), switched to grammar mechanics program on line when I realized how little he knew, and now are trying Time 4 Learning. In addition to the above, I try to find multiple video segments from various websites to reinforce all information....ie. science we viewed videos demonstrating forms of energy, social studies had videos for the Mayans/Aztec to start and now finding tons for Colonial Times, Language Arts we use Schoolhouse Rocks. I also subscribe to the Colonial Williamsburg Electronic Field Trips. I spend an average of 4-5 hours per weekend preparing the agenda for the week because I know he retains more if he can see a supporting video after the lesson, so I need to find these and view them to make sure it will work.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I have some wonderful homeschool friends who are homeschooling their autistic children. I'm sure there are others in our group I am less familiar with. If you need a particular connection to other hs parents, feel free to msg me and I'll do what I can to connect you.

I did also want to mention that I received my HSLDA email yesterday and they had a link to a newsletter on homeschooling children with special needs. I've not read it, but here's the link: http://www.homeschoolfoundation.org/newsletter/1209/

Thanks for the link. I do follow HSLDA on facebook.

I am homeschooling my 9yo son who has autism. This is our first year. It has been a learning process for both of us but I am slowly learning what works and what level he is at in each subject.

So glad to find another homeschooler with sensory issues!

This is our 3rd year homeschooling. We used Abeka DVD the 1st 2 years, but now that he is behind in reading we chose to stay with Abeka, but we are not using the DVD school this year. It's way more work for me as he needs constant supervision.

My oldest used Switched On, Teaching Textbooks, and Saxon. When he was in school, they used Bob Jones, Aplogia, Saxon, and The Shurley Method.

Are you a member of FPEA?

My son uses a balance disc to sit on when he sits on a chair to work. That way he can rock without tipping the chair over. Seems the more intense he thinks the more he rocks.

He takes alot of attention breaks. I try to get him to do the Infinity Walk as an attention break. Reading those letters on the wall really helps him to keep his place in reading.

When he gets stress out over something he'll ask to be brushed, Wilbarger Brushing Protocol.

I have to keep all toys and other distractions away from him.

He loves math and excels in it. Science is his favorite.

We are using Teaching Textbooks 7 for Math, Rainbow for Science, a combination of Focus on History (America) and the school text for Social Studies, and Language Arts we started with Rod and Staff (what was I thinking!!!), switched to grammar mechanics program on line when I realized how little he knew, and now are trying Time 4 Learning. In addition to the above, I try to find multiple video segments from various websites to reinforce all information....ie. science we viewed videos demonstrating forms of energy, social studies had videos for the Mayans/Aztec to start and now finding tons for Colonial Times, Language Arts we use Schoolhouse Rocks. I also subscribe to the Colonial Williamsburg Electronic Field Trips. I spend an average of 4-5 hours per weekend preparing the agenda for the week because I know he retains more if he can see a supporting video after the lesson, so I need to find these and view them to make sure it will work.

I'm going to have to look some of these up, we are still fairly new to all of this. We are currently using Time4Learning for language arts and math, and BrainPop Jr for Science, Social Studies and History. We also have some Mead workbooks in math, reading and problem solving, and we use Music Ace for music.

If you haven't checked it out, the brainpop videos are short and sweet and they have a lot of supporting ideas for lesson plans. My son loves the little cartoon that comes with each section, and this is actually the first "school" thing he wanted to continue past our daily lesson.

lucigo said:
I'm going to have to look some of these up, we are still fairly new to all of this. We are currently using Time4Learning for language arts and math, and BrainPop Jr for Science, Social Studies and History. We also have some Mead workbooks in math, reading and problem solving, and we use Music Ace for music.

If you haven't checked it out, the brainpop videos are short and sweet and they have a lot of supporting ideas for lesson plans. My son loves the little cartoon that comes with each section, and this is actually the first "school" thing he wanted to continue past our daily lesson.

Thanks for that info, I will check it out!

Thanks for the link. I do follow HSLDA on facebook.

So glad to find another homeschooler with sensory issues!

This is our 3rd year homeschooling. We used Abeka DVD the 1st 2 years, but now that he is behind in reading we chose to stay with Abeka, but we are not using the DVD school this year. It's way more work for me as he needs constant supervision.

My oldest used Switched On, Teaching Textbooks, and Saxon. When he was in school, they used Bob Jones, Aplogia, Saxon, and The Shurley Method.

Are you a member of FPEA?

My son uses a balance disc to sit on when he sits on a chair to work. That way he can rock without tipping the chair over. Seems the more intense he thinks the more he rocks.

He takes alot of attention breaks. I try to get him to do the Infinity Walk as an attention break. Reading those letters on the wall really helps him to keep his place in reading.

When he gets stress out over something he'll ask to be brushed, Wilbarger Brushing Protocol.

I have to keep all toys and other distractions away from him.

He loves math and excels in it. Science is his favorite.

Checking into FPEA, I hadn't heard of it!

We also have problems with not being able to keep his little toosh planted on the chair! Many times I will just ask him to stand up. As I'm typing this he is sitting backwards on an office chair spinning in circles watching youtube videos on his ipad. I would be sick!

I have been working on getting rid of all of the distractions also. Its quite a challenge!

Hey HomeSchooling Moms! Here's a tale for you...

My DS, whom I thought would never learn to read, just took the SAT's a couple of weeks ago. I was always glad I homeschooled him because I sincerely believe he would have been too distracted to sit through phonics in a regular classroom....any outside noise would totally frustrate and bother him. It took several long years before he read fluently, and after that learning to write essays was torturous. Howver, we forged on at his pace (with more dropped pencils than I could ever count or barely have the patience for....anyone else know this type of student? :) ). So!---results came out today and his reading score placed him at the 94%.

Take heart, eventually they get there (and may even surprise you!).

dis-happy said:

My DS, whom I thought would never learn to read, just took the SAT's a couple of weeks ago. I was always glad I homeschooled him because I sincerely believe he would have been too distracted to sit through phonics in a regular classroom....any outside noise would totally frustrate and bother him. It took several long years before he read fluently, and after that learning to write essays was torturous. Howver, we forged on at his pace (with more dropped pencils than I could ever count or barely have the patience for....anyone else know this type of student? :) ). So!---results came out today and his reading score placed him at the 94%.

Thank you and congratulations to you both! He sounds like my DS, now 12, and we are forging forward!!

That's awesome, great job Mom.

Congratulations to him!!

That's very encouraging to hear. Thanks for sharing!

dis-happy said:

That's great! Thanks for the encouragement.

Just got back from Disney's Homeschool Days and they announced the dates of the next one to be either January or April (I can't remember which). If you are thinking of a Disney trip it was well worth enduring the one hour class to save BIG on tickets. We had a great time and thankfully saw the new Fantasyland expansion as well. Any other homeschool families out there who just got back from your trip?

My husband and I have made the decision to homeschool our youngest child. She is in the 7th grade, this will be our first experience in homeschool. We also have son who is in 10th grade who will remain in public school. I honestly never thought that this would be something we would do but I am severely disappointed in our new school district (we just moved here over the summer)My daughter had a difficult first few weeks and then became the target of bullying, the school offered no help and support. I honestly feel like making her stay in school in this city would be a severe detriment to her.

Both myself and my husband work outside the home as we are not financially able live off one income. My employer has agreed to allow me to work a modified schedule everyday as long as I maintain 32-35 hours so I can keep my benefits. I really don't even know where to begin, I have searched all over the internet but most of what I find is advertisement, so I decided to turn to my dis family. I am really in need of some support and resources. I am so not sure how this is going to work out, do most homeschool families have stay at home moms and dads. Is this too much responsibility for an almost 13 year old? any thoughts? Thanks!!

Miniefan- First of all take a deep breath and relax. Homeschooling can be very easy in this day and age with technology and books. I also pulled my daughter out of public school this year to homeschool, but we had homeschooled several years ago.

I suggest taking a good look at how your child has done in the past academically and what are here strong and weak areas. For example my daughter is very good at math, but is terrible at spelling and writing. So for the first semester we focused on spelling, vocabulary, transcription, and then added a bit of math, science, history and reading.

Check out homeschoolreviews.com where other people weigh in on what they think of various curriculum's. You can buy a complete curriculum from 1 company or buy different subjects from different companies. Also check into if your state has a virtual school. This can be very helpful in you have a teacher to help you as well. We did this for 2 years and liked it. Another good resource is cathyduffyreviews.com Her book helps you figure out what type of homeschooling you want to, and she gives you her recommendations.

There are lots of good resources out there for free as well that you can use. It's very confusing at first, but pintrest can help.

Good luck and have a great year homeschooling.

My husband and I have made the decision to homeschool our youngest child. She is in the 7th grade, this will be our first experience in homeschool. We also have son who is in 10th grade who will remain in public school. I honestly never thought that this would be something we would do but I am severely disappointed in our new school district (we just moved here over the summer)My daughter had a difficult first few weeks and then became the target of bullying, the school offered no help and support. I honestly feel like making her stay in school in this city would be a severe detriment to her.

Both myself and my husband work outside the home as we are not financially able live off one income. My employer has agreed to allow me to work a modified schedule everyday as long as I maintain 32-35 hours so I can keep my benefits. I really don't even know where to begin, I have searched all over the internet but most of what I find is advertisement, so I decided to turn to my dis family. I am really in need of some support and resources. I am so not sure how this is going to work out, do most homeschool families have stay at home moms and dads. Is this too much responsibility for an almost 13 year old? any thoughts? Thanks!!

I agree with the PP, take a deep breath. It will be okay.

Question: Do you want a Christian based curriculum or not?

That will lead you to different places. If you don't need or want a Christian based curriculum than look into virtual school. Where your DD is attending school but online. IF that is not what you are looking for than, there is CBD which offers tons of homeschooling options and books. Rainbow Resource is another good place to look. Alpha Omega and Abeka are two programs that I know that offer self study programs that a 13yr old should be able to do on her own. But they are Christian based.

I would also recommend you look for a local homeschool group. They can help with curriculum and enrichment for DD and encouragement for you. HSLDA can be a good resource for that.

Good luck

Hi all! I am new to the thread! I am Jenny I home school my boys (kindergarten and second grade). My oldest has Autism, high anxiety, and lots of delays. Our experience with the public school was a horrible one and that road ultimately led to homeschooling as my best option. I love it so much, that even though my youngest started Kindergarten in Public School, I pulled him out about 3 weeks in. Just missed him too much and I was extremely unhappy with what they were working on in his classroom (things he already mastered 2+ years ago).

Anyways, that's the shortest version of that story I have ever told! Yay me!

Looking to see if anyone is in Maryland by chance?

Also...any thoughts on a good science program? Specifically life science?

Thanks!!

I am so not sure how this is going to work out, do most homeschool families have stay at home moms and dads. Is this too much responsibility for an almost 13 year old? any thoughts? Thanks!!

I work 24 hours a week 7p-7a, and I homeschool my 4th grader and 8th grader. After working all night, I come in and take a "nap." My boys take an on-line world history class and read their literature while I'm resting. When I awake, we do math, spelling, grammar, and science. The beauty of homeschool is you have so much flexibility. Enjoy this time with your daughter. It was the best decision we ever made. Good luck.

Just wanted to chime in with a little more encouragement. No, not everyone who homeschools has a stay at home parent. No, you're not asking too much of a 13 year old. I agree with PPs- relax, breathe, and know that you're doing what's best for your daughter. You'll get the details worked out! My first suggestion for new homeschoolers is always, always find a support group. You need it and so does your daughter. My next suggestion is don't feel you need to rush out and buy a full curriculum immediately. Your daughter has been under a lot of stress. Let her decompress for a few weeks and don't feel bad about it.

You can do this! Your daughter can do this! It will take some time to get the kinks worked out, but you'll be ok. :)

Hello neighbor:wave2: I am in the process of making a decision regarding our DD (4th grade) at the moment. It is a hard decision for me because I & my children were raised in the public school. I don't want to make a mistake, but I'm thinking we are going to end up homeschooling her. We just had another morning of crying because she doesn't want to go to school. She says other students are mean to her, she now sits alone at lunch. I just had a conference with her teachers & they claim they don't see anything wrong during the day. She told me this morning that if she goes she will walk out of the school. It's like they are beating her down. She is gifted & has always had an amazing outlook on everything. She is unique & has always been a very happy & outgoing child. Now she is moody & sometimes defiant. I expressed this to the teachers (she has two) & they said maybe it is hormones. I left a message with the school counselor this morning & gave a brief explanation of what is going on & asked her to speak with my DD. I have yet to hear anything back, I thought she would atleast call me to get more information. I'm not happy over that right now either.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi since I noticed that your so close by. I have to say that I haven't heard too much about the NN school system, but welcome to the area.

kimmyann said:
Hello neighbor:wave2: I am in the process of making a decision regarding our DD (4th grade) at the moment. It is a hard decision for me because I & my children were raised in the public school. I don't want to make a mistake, but I'm thinking we are going to end up homeschooling her. We just had another morning of crying because she doesn't want to go to school. She says other students are mean to her, she now sits alone at lunch. I just had a conference with her teachers & they claim they don't see anything wrong during the day. She told me this morning that if she goes she will walk out of the school. It's like they are beating her down. She is gifted & has always had an amazing outlook on everything. She is unique & has always been a very happy & outgoing child. Now she is moody & sometimes defiant. I expressed this to the teachers (she has two) & they said maybe it is hormones. I left a message with the school counselor this morning & gave a brief explanation of what is going on & asked her to speak with my DD. I have yet to hear anything back, I thought she would atleast call me to get more information. I'm not happy over that right now either.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi since I noticed that your so close by. I have to say that I haven't heard too much about the NN school system, but welcome to the area.

I think it would do wonders for your daughter if you started homeschooling. I'm so sorry she's going through such a had time at school! It sounds like they aren't doing much to help.

Wow...I guess I am just surprised that so many people are so defensive about the school systems and the "correct" way to educate children. How do you handle this?

I have had several instances since we moved here of people emphatically defending the schools here, like I am insulting them by homeschooling my children.

My husband is a certified middle school math/science and ESE teacher and my degree and career are more toward English and the arts. We are both highly trained in the needs of children with autism and have worked very hard at decoding our son with autism, and my 17yo daughter is old enough to know whether she prefers virtual school over brick and morter. We are doing what works for us! :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter