Homeschool Chat Part III

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way. Good luck in this wonderful journey!:cool1::grouphug:
Thank you!!! We can't WAIT for the adventure to begin! :yay:
Wow..had no idea there was a Homeschooling thread!!
I'm Alison..mom to 4 great kids.. we are in our 5th year of homeschooling.
Noah is 16.5 and we just graduated him
Declan will be 9 on Saturday and he just began 4th grade on Monday
Jadziah is 7 and in 2nd grade
Taejan is 5 and doing K5!
:rotfl:FINALLY...I have found you all!!! :cool1: A thread for home schoolers AND DISNEY ADDICTS!! :goodvibes Well, let me introduce myself....
My name is Jennifer and I am a first year home schooling mom to 3 awsome kids!................... Thanks for letting me share! Blessings, Jennifer

:welcome::jumping1:party::welcome:
How fun!!!! New Moms!! I :lovestruc LOVE this thread :grouphug:

Hi again. Well it looks like we will be beginning homeschooling for my son in the fall. I am having him finish the school year out before we begin, mainly because I am not prepared yet. I am seriously thinking about homeschooling my daughter also, but am more hesitant simply because she likes school & does well. Which then again she also wants to be homeschooled because she says she can't concentrate in class and it drives her crazy. So, I'm not sure yet what we will be doing with her. Btw, she's in 2nd grade (she started school late because she missed the cut off date by 9 days) so she is ahead of everyone. My son is 14 & in the 8th grade which he is failing. I posted the whole story last week. Just so you know.:thumbsup2

Anyway, I am trying to figure out what curriculum I want to use. You see, I'd like to stick with something more traditional I think just so I have something concrete to follow and the kids will ease into it easier I think. Afterwards I think I may be more comfortable branching out to different ones, but to start I'd like everything set. So, what do you use & why? What can be used without breaking the bank also? Esp if I'm going to have two kids homeschooled.

Thanks,

Kim

Hi Kim!

Well, although I am a first year homeschooler my self (almost at the end of our first year) I am local to your area and am willing to meet up and share some things I've learned during our first year. :) I may not be a vet but I have learned a lot for a first year and have done A LOT of reasearch and reading. For instance, we have a HS convention here in Virginia...out in Richmond every year in June. One of the best things I did. Almost an overwhelming amount of info, but good none the less. One of the best books I have read is The Well Trained Mind. Awsome, met the authors as well at the convention! By way of traditional, I think you are meaning more of a txt book approach?:confused3 I used to say "traditional" as well, but found out that I fall more under classical with a little charlotte mason mixed in for fun. I would be nice to meet a fellow DISer too!:thumbsup2 I have a 2nd grader too. There are great home school "yahoo groups" here in our area as well. You should check them out. There is also a store in VB called Moore Expressions that is a HS book store. GREAT PLACE. You can flip through some of the HS books to see if it would be a good fit for your kids. Not to mention, they sell used books as well for a fraction of the cost. Our family has benefited from the used section as well as new. Helps keep costs down! Oh, btw...we live in Suffolk. :)

Blessings,
Jennifer

Oh, almost forgot....we are trying to plan another trip to WDW in late October:banana: for the home schooling days. Has anyone been during this time of year??? Is it crowded???:confused3 We DO NOT want to go when it is crowded!! However, we are getting 40% off our room with PIN code and with the discount on tickets for HS days :woohoo:....we really can't pass up!! We are a family of 5 on a budget and a mission!:grouphug: Any info would be great!

Blessings,
Jen

We've been to WDW in late October twice. The crowds aren't bad. The only frustrating thing is the MK closes early a lot for the Halloween party. The weather was beautiful both times we were there in Oct. :) I think I must have gotten the same PIN code you did. We're not going though cause we're going in JUne for Star Wars weekend.

Hello all,

I have a question that I need some advice about. I've posted here before, but for those who don't know, we're in our first year of homeschooling. I pulled my 6th grader out of PS at the end of the first quarter.
Anyway...last week my 2nd grader's teacher sends a note home asking me to stop by sometime because she needed to talk to me. So I stop by the next day and she tells me that my little guy will occasionally say, "I wish I were homeschooled like my brother"...and things like that. She asked me how I wanted her to respond to that. I was honestly stumped. I couldn't come up with anything, and still can't really. I almost feel like she's wanting me to lay the law down and tell him to stop saying it, etc. etc. I did tell her that I haven't decided what we'll do next year, and that I may decide to homeschool him because the 3rd grade is when they start state testing (don't even get me started on that). So, I told her I'd get back with her on that. My husband says, "She doesn't need to say anything to him".
Could I get some ideas on how to respond?

Thank you all!

Hello all,

I have a question that I need some advice about. I've posted here before, but for those who don't know, we're in our first year of homeschooling. I pulled my 6th grader out of PS at the end of the first quarter.
Anyway...last week my 2nd grader's teacher sends a note home asking me to stop by sometime because she needed to talk to me. So I stop by the next day and she tells me that my little guy will occasionally say, "I wish I were homeschooled like my brother"...and things like that. She asked me how I wanted her to respond to that. I was honestly stumped. I couldn't come up with anything, and still can't really. I almost feel like she's wanting me to lay the law down and tell him to stop saying it, etc. etc. I did tell her that I haven't decided what we'll do next year, and that I may decide to homeschool him because the 3rd grade is when they start state testing (don't even get me started on that). So, I told her I'd get back with her on that. My husband says, "She doesn't need to say anything to him".

Thank you all!

Maybe she is just worried that she will say the wrong thing to him & upset you both. If he is directly saying it to her, maybe she thinks he wants a response and she's just not sure how to.:confused3 I am actually waiting for this to come up with my DD, we are in the same situation here.:hug:

Kim

Hello all,

Thank you all!

Why not just ask her to respond with something like "Only your parents can decide about that. You should ask them."?

I wanted to join this thread for support. I plan to homeschool 3 of my 4 kids starting next school year. Probably start around August of this year. My kids are 4,5 and 8. My oldest is 15, and he wants to remain in high school. I homeschooled him through the 5th grade, but he was only 9, so when I put him into public school, they refused to test him or anything and placed him into the 3rd grade, based on his age. I was pretty upset, but could not convince them that he needed to be challenged. So, their answer was to enroll him in the TAG program. He has done really well in school, but because is in high school, he wishes to remain in school (at the present time anyways). I quit homeschooling because of all the negative comments from my family members who said they would support me. I have done a lot of research this time, and hopefully have found a good homeschool group that is interested in doing field trips and other activities for the kids. That was another problem I had the first time, was all the groups I went to never wanted to do anything with the kids, they all wanted to get together to support the parents, and not do anything with the kids. And I went to many groups.

Well, that is mostly my story, and I'm hoping I can get support and lots of ideas on here. :thumbsup2

I wanted to join this thread for support. I plan to homeschool 3 of my 4 kids starting next school year. Probably start around August of this year. My kids are 4,5 and 8. My oldest is 15, and he wants to remain in high school. I homeschooled him through the 5th grade, but he was only 9, so when I put him into public school, they refused to test him or anything and placed him into the 3rd grade, based on his age. I was pretty upset, but could not convince them that he needed to be challenged. So, their answer was to enroll him in the TAG program. He has done really well in school, but because is in high school, he wishes to remain in school (at the present time anyways). I quit homeschooling because of all the negative comments from my family members who said they would support me. I have done a lot of research this time, and hopefully have found a good homeschool group that is interested in doing field trips and other activities for the kids. That was another problem I had the first time, was all the groups I went to never wanted to do anything with the kids, they all wanted to get together to support the parents, and not do anything with the kids. And I went to many groups.

Well, that is mostly my story, and I'm hoping I can get support and lots of ideas on here. :thumbsup2

:welcome::goodvibes:welcome:

Does anyone here use Oak Meadow's German or Spanish program (high school level)? If so, what do you like or dislike about it? TIA!

Does anyone here use Oak Meadow's German or Spanish program (high school level)? If so, what do you like or dislike about it? TIA!

I use a foreign language program offered through our public library called Mango Languages. It is a online program and you can choose from many different languages. My kids really like it and I like the fact that it is free!

We ordered Rosetta Stone during the "Valentine's Sale." We bought the Spanish (Latin America) levels 1-5. Soooo, that was our first BIG homeschooling purchase! :banana: We gave it to DD10 & DS7 for Valentine's Day & expected DS to be a little disappointed. He was actually excited (& of course DD was thrilled) ;) We will use this for their foreign language "class" and for all of us to learn Spanish for our Mexico mission trips. :lovestruc

And on a side note....we have no Disney trip in sight, so I made a "HOMESCHOOL ticker" :woohoo: Countin' the days & I just can't WAIT! :cheer2:

I have been homeschooling for nine years and I think you are going to find a difference. When we first started I got a lot of "are you insane?" types of comments. Now, it's more like "Oh, my neighbor does that." or my sister or whatever. Homeschooling has exploded in popularity over the last several years. It's not such an odd thing any more and it's a lot easier to find other kids to connect with.

I hope this works out really well for you!

I am under a months long debate around here. DD is a freshman in high school and is going to school. Mostly she really likes it but it takes so much TIME. She is struggling in math quite a bit. It takes her awhile to process math and so if she misses something she is really out of luck. They just move right along and she gets more lost. I mainly do NOT like having her in school. I feel like the lack of freedom is rotten and she could be learning so much more. I also want to plan vacations and activities when I want to go, not based on when they tell me I can have my child.

A big part of me, wants to take her out at the end of the year but she does have a lot of friends and for that aspect I know she would be sad.

Thanks for the info on October. Looks like we are booking!:banana:

Have the dates been set yet? I must have missed it! My kids are dying to go back to WDW. Our last trip was last November. We've never done the homeschool days, and want to go during that time this year.

I wanted to agree w/ a pp about how homeschooling has become much more mainstream in the past few years and you'll probably see a difference this time around. Someone who just joined my homeschool group has 4 kids, 2 now in college and 2 tweens. When she was hsing the college ones, there wasn't much support, and she always felt 'weird' when out and about during the school day and people asking "you HOMESCHOOL?????!!!!" She doesn't get any of that anymore, she said the difference is like night and day, and it's only been a few years.

And I want to say, "if you build it, they will come"... you may need to be the person who organizes field trips - put the word out - and like minded people will come. They're out there, just like you, but sometimes waiting for others to organize it. If you don't find things readily, try a yahoo group for your county - if there is none, there's no reason you can't make one.

Good luck and enjoy your journey again! :flower3:

We ordered Rosetta Stone during the "Valentine's Sale." We bought the Spanish (Latin America) levels 1-5. Soooo, that was our first BIG homeschooling purchase! :banana: We gave it to DD10 & DS7 for Valentine's Day & expected DS to be a little disappointed. He was actually excited (& of course DD was thrilled) ;) We will use this for their foreign language "class" and for all of us to learn Spanish for our Mexico mission trips. :lovestruc

And on a side note....we have no Disney trip in sight, so I made a "HOMESCHOOL ticker" :woohoo: Countin' the days & I just can't WAIT! :cheer2:

That's really great!! So exciting!!!!!!!

We use Rosetta Stone Spanish (Latin America) too, and I love it!! I can really see how it works so well.

I'm excited for your family!

WOO HOO! I'm so happy to see so many of us here. I've not read all the replies, I just wanted to get in on the thread immediately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter