• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Homeschool Chat Part III

I'm in TX, so there's absolutely NO rules :confused3 Both principals said I just needed to bring a letter to the office stating what we were doing. They'd just keep it on file. I cannot describe to you how excited we are!!!!

We went to Barnes & Noble tonight & bought "The Classics Collection" six pack b/c I had a 15% off coupon + my member's reward 10% off. It has The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales, The Complete Works of Shakespeare, Jane Austen (Seven Novels in 1), The Complete Tales & Poems of Edgar Allen Poe, and the Iliad/The Odyssey by Homer. Then we bought the same type leather bound book of The Chronicles of Narnia. I paid $93 total for all of these! :woohoo:

The Charlotte Mason (Catherine Levison in particular) recommended all of those except Poe, Homer & Narnia. Soooo, I figured I'm getting a head start. :laughing: I also bought Lisa Welchel's book "So You're Thinking about Homeschooling?" It's a Focus on the Family book & I will probably devour it by tomorrow. :rotfl:

OT: While we were at B&N buying books, we ran into DD10 writing teacher & talked about homeschooling. She was excited for us but BEGGED us to wait & deschool until August. Ugh! Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

that's SOOOO awesome! I'd pull them now and start the fun! I love all the books you bought - sounds like you're off and running already, and you haven't even officially started! :goodvibes

:banana: You really don't want me to get any sleep tonight, do you? :rotfl: It's like "I'm too excited to sleep" & I'm not even headed to Disney! :dance3: DH is so thrilled too. We can't wait to get started, yet our fear of what others think has us on the fence :rolleyes1 We are gonna pray really hard about when we should start the UNschool process. I feel like Alice with an UNbirthday! :cutie:

:banana: You really don't want me to get any sleep tonight, do you? :rotfl: It's like "I'm too excited to sleep" & I'm not even headed to Disney! :dance3: DH is so thrilled too. We can't wait to get started, yet our fear of what others think has us on the fence :rolleyes1 We are gonna pray really hard about when we should start the UNschool process. I feel like Alice with an UNbirthday! :cutie:

I'm so happy for you guys! It's been 2 years for us, and I still am excited about it - there are just so many possibilities ahead of us, that we get to all experience together! It's such a great family life!! :lovestruc

My dh was very against us hsing in the beginning, but I told him we'd re-evaluate after the end of that school year (we pulled them in March)... he was fully convinced by that Sept that it was a 'great' thing to do, and we both hold our heads up high now when we tell people we hs. The more you do it, the more you see the learning taking place, the frustrations go away, the family time you get, the travel experiences you get... I can't imagine it any other way now. Part of my wonderful experience is the hs group I'm so lucky to be a part of. Classes, field trips, events, etc. My dd11 'works' in our retail store anytime she wants (which she loves to do). And she's really learning all aspects of a business, and she LOVES helping customers. As time goes by and you meet more and more hsing families, experience all the wonderful things about hsing - you won't care what others think. It can take a little while to get there, but you will. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by many reactions in the beginning when we would be asked "oh, no school today kids?" while we were out and about during a school day... and I'd answer 'oh, we homeschool'... so many people would say "good for you!" - it really shocked me. It's becoming more and more mainstream now, so don't worry about what others think.

Have fun dreaming tonight about all the great things you'll be doing w/ your kiddies! :goodvibes

I can't tell you what a blessing it is to have both parents "on board" with this decision!

Most people who find out we homeschool react in one of the following ways:
1. Defensively "I could never do that"
2. With questions "How do you handle . . . ?"
3. With ignorance "That's bad for . . . ":rolleyes1
4. With encouragement "I think that's really great"

Don't let what others think keep you from doing what you're supposed to be doing :hug: Remember, we're here for you and you're not alone. If it makes you feel better, arm yourselves with statistics to "counter-attack" :rotfl2:

Looking for a little advice on where to start. We are considering hs next year and have no clue what curriculums to start looking at or even where to find them. Any advice would be wonderful!!!! TIA:thumbsup2

Also, how do you find a homeschool group to join?

Looking for a little advice on where to start. We are considering hs next year and have no clue what curriculums to start looking at or even where to find them. Any advice would be wonderful!!!! TIA:thumbsup2

Also, how do you find a homeschool group to join?
Hi & Welcome :hug:
I always recommend new hs'ers read So, You're Thinking About Homeschooling? by Lisa Whelchel. It takes you to 15 different families who homeschool 15 different ways with 15 different curricula . . . so it's a great overview of what's out there (and is an easy read, too)!

You didn't tell us ages, grade levels, how many, learning styles or anything about your family, so giving you other info won't be very easy :goodvibes

To find a homeschool group, I always recommend you ask your local librarians to give your information to the group or to another local homeschooler (believe me, they *know* who we are:lmao:). It's the easiest way I've found :)

Have a great time and ask us anything you like :goodvibes

Hi again. Well it looks like we will be beginning homeschooling for my son in the fall. I am having him finish the school year out before we begin, mainly because I am not prepared yet. I am seriously thinking about homeschooling my daughter also, but am more hesitant simply because she likes school & does well. Which then again she also wants to be homeschooled because she says she can't concentrate in class and it drives her crazy. So, I'm not sure yet what we will be doing with her. Btw, she's in 2nd grade (she started school late because she missed the cut off date by 9 days) so she is ahead of everyone. My son is 14 & in the 8th grade which he is failing. I posted the whole story last week. Just so you know.:thumbsup2

Anyway, I am trying to figure out what curriculum I want to use. You see, I'd like to stick with something more traditional I think just so I have something concrete to follow and the kids will ease into it easier I think. Afterwards I think I may be more comfortable branching out to different ones, but to start I'd like everything set. So, what do you use & why? What can be used without breaking the bank also? Esp if I'm going to have two kids homeschooled.

Thanks,

Kim

Hi again. Well it looks like we will be beginning homeschooling for my son in the fall. I am having him finish the school year out before we begin, mainly because I am not prepared yet. I am seriously thinking about homeschooling my daughter also, but am more hesitant simply because she likes school & does well. Which then again she also wants to be homeschooled because she says she can't concentrate in class and it drives her crazy. So, I'm not sure yet what we will be doing with her. Btw, she's in 2nd grade (she started school late because she missed the cut off date by 9 days) so she is ahead of everyone. My son is 14 & in the 8th grade which he is failing. I posted the whole story last week. Just so you know.:thumbsup2

Anyway, I am trying to figure out what curriculum I want to use. You see, I'd like to stick with something more traditional I think just so I have something concrete to follow and the kids will ease into it easier I think. Afterwards I think I may be more comfortable branching out to different ones, but to start I'd like everything set. So, what do you use & why? What can be used without breaking the bank also? Esp if I'm going to have two kids homeschooled.

Thanks,

Kim
Please define "traditional"? Do you mean workbooks, classical education, unit studies, computer-based, something else?
We use My Father's World, which is a combination of classical education & literature-rich unit studies. It is Christian-based. We have also used Charlotte Mason Method curriculum called "Living Books", and one called "Beautiful Feet". We started out with Sonlight (heavy on reading & Christian-based), but didn't care for some of the subsequent Core book selections.

OT: While we were at B&N buying books, we ran into DD10 writing teacher & talked about homeschooling. She was excited for us but BEGGED us to wait & deschool until August. Ugh! Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

Remember, one of the beautiful things about homeschooling is that you don't have to follow a traditional school schedule.

It's becoming more and more mainstream now, so don't worry about what others think.

Have fun dreaming tonight about all the great things you'll be doing w/ your kiddies! :goodvibes

Definitely. And know that we're here for prayer and support as well! :thumbsup2

I am trying to figure out what curriculum I want to use. You see, I'd like to stick with something more traditional I think just so I have something concrete to follow and the kids will ease into it easier I think. Afterwards I think I may be more comfortable branching out to different ones, but to start I'd like everything set. So, what do you use & why? What can be used without breaking the bank also? Esp if I'm going to have two kids homeschooled.

Thanks,

Kim

Since you're so unsure still, I'd recommend something computer-based for your son. Programs that keep track of lessons (and even grade them for you) are available that will make your homeschool journey easier. Especially for someone with multiple homeschoolers.

so i have decided to start homeschooling my oldest, maigan 13, in the fall. i am clueless about the entire thing though. what do i do now?

so i have decided to start homeschooling my oldest, maigan 13, in the fall. i am clueless about the entire thing though. what do i do now?

:welcome:

Decide what type of curriculum is best for you/your daughter.
Read and research. (A good recommendation given here frequently is So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel. http://www.amazon.com/So-Youre-Thin...5116/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1296771288&sr=8-5)
Don't be afraid to ask LOTS of questions.
Good luck!

Is there a *free* website that tells you which teaching style is best for your child? Thanks ;) And, I just finished that Lisa Whelchel book & loved it!

I'm pretty sure I want to do Charlotte Mason, but I'm looking into other history options. A friend (who does traditional teaching) recommended "My Father's World" which starts at Creation & ends at current day. (I love this idea, BTW!) She also recommended Math-U-See & Shurley English. What are your thoughts on these? :flower3:

Would April & May be a good time to "unschool/deschool"? Or should we finish out this school year? TIA ;)

This is solely up to you. Do you need time to gather materials and get yourself geared up? If so, do your kids want to be out of school NOW? That could be the opportunity to deschool. They are out while you figure it all out! Could be GREAT fun, with no responsibilities while you guys order books and look through them, really figure out what's best for them right now.

What's her reason? Is it because she doesn't want to lsoe your Dd as a student? Drop that from your list of reasons. Is it because she thinks it's best for your DD? What does your DD think? If DD disagrees, drop it from the list of reasons, IMO.

This is up to you and the kids.... My son likes to do "eeny meeny" about Lego decisions. I say "think about what you want most right now, and make the decision based on that, not on anything else". So you guys think about what you want and need for your family RIGHT NOW, and make the decision based on that! No one else is involved in that decision. except, um, us here on the thread. :rotfl:

So...my mother in law. She's not very supportive of homeschooling. Thinks we're cheating. Cheating the state, cheating DS out of an education, etc. She cannot figure it out.

She's Korean, and they have nothing like this in modern society. To her, it's an OLD thing. She didn't have school, she grew up in a tiny village while her country was occupied. She barely learned to write hangul (Korean written language); the most "teaching" she got was when they were forced to learn the language of those occupying the country by force.

She thinks school is important. I should really mention that she and her husband NEVER ONCE believed their children when they told their parents that OTHER kids were helped out on projects by their parents. They'd go to things at school and end up berating their kids because their projects looked so childlike...and refuse to believe that that was because their classmates weren't actually doing their own projects. So she thinks school is important, but also didn't ever really understand how it works in America.

She's been told that we're going to homeschool since DS was around 3. We've explained it every which way we can. What we NEED is to have the conversation in Korea, with one of DH's cousins who is totally fluent in both English and Korean, to be the middleman. DH is not fluent in Korean (mom didn't believe it was useful to teach her kids Korean, so they communicate in "Konglish", a hybrid) and she is not fluent in English (the "ifs" and other hypotheticals, as well as past or future tenses, are nearly incomprehensible to her for some reason...everything is in the present, and she doesn't get it if it isn't NOW).

She got the opportunity to watch DS last Saturday, while DH and I went to a work party. This was only the second time she's gotten to watch him on his own, as she raised her children with routine hitting, and we wanted to make sure that she understood that that was not acceptable to us, AND that if she did it, DS was old enough to tell us if she did it. She ruined that first time by inviting a friend over, and they spoke Korean the whole time, which she won't teach him and we can't teach him yet (and I can't find any kid's Korean classes! gotta get Rosetta Stone soon).

This was going to be a special occasion, really great. Everyone was excited.

DS is 6 and is just now really starting to get the concept of reading. He has some sight words, and is working on sounding things out, and with positive encouragement can figure out almost any word. It's thrilling! He loves math and numbers, and is doing two digit addition, with encouragement.

So they were hanging out, eating rice (she does something with sesame seed oil and soy sauce that is incredible), watching some Pixar movies...having a good old time. She had the captioning on for some reason, and he started paying attention to it.

She took that opportunity to QUIZ him. Set out words for him to read, set out math problems. Would NOT let him use fingers to add. She's NOT a positive encouragement person in any way, shape, or form, so I know it was not a good spot for him to be in.

When we got there, he was sleeping, and as I picked him up, we didn't know any of this. She said "you have to send him to school, he cannot read, he cannot add..." Well, YES he is learning to do both, and NO we don't have to send him to school. If he's picking these up on the slower side (and I don't think it's slow at all, I think it's his own pace) with a caring, loving parent teaching him, how do you think he's going to do in a class with 29 other kids all distracting him?????

I said "but Robert (her son) didn't learn until he was 8, so DS is doing well." "Oh nooo, he learned at 6!" NO, Robert was there....he was below DS's level at 6, and at 8 the law was set down and he was forced to be a reader. DH i still a slow reader, he reads outloud to himself still, and he probably has some sort of dyslexia...he was not "a reader" at 6 (barely considers himself one now).

And what's wrong with using fingers to count? I do it still. And I had a Math minor in college.

DS woke up at some point when we got home, and instead of "I missed you" or "I had fun", he said, sadly, that his grandma had tested him and made him feel bad about himself. And made him mad at her, because he does NOT need to go to school, and he IS learning, and why doesn't she see that?

:sad1:

DH had a work trip that started on Monday, and I got drastically sick Monday afternoon (bronchitis and one's latent asthma popping up is a horrible scary nasty situation, let me tell you), so we haven't had the opportunity to really talk to each other about all of this, let alone talk to her, but we're just livid.

How could she take what should have been 4 hours of bonding grandma/grandson time, and turn it into testing? Why doesn't she see what he CAN do, and be happy for that?

She has actually asked me what *my brother*, my YOUNGER, blissfully childFREE, brother, "thinks of this". WHY? What does that matter? And for the record, he's in FAVOR of it! His alma mater, Duke, happily allows homeschooled kids, and he and his wife are thoroughly planning for their nephew to attend their university. But what on earth does my BROTHER have to do with this???

It's just such a bummer. She doesn't know, because we don't tell her, how many times I've been sick this year, and how behind we are with learning work. "Behind" being a relative term, because DS isn't known to the district at all, and won't be until he has to be, at 8. We're behind where I wanted to be, but he still manages to learn things with breaks in official worktimes. Heck, he worked out some reading stuff after our trip to WDW, which meant a 4 week break! Just living in this world helps us learn things...

If anyone else's family has done this, you have my deepest empathy and sympathy. We don't know what to do, and I hate that she did this to him.

Is there a *free* website that tells you which teaching style is best for your child? Thanks ;) And, I just finished that Lisa Whelchel book & loved it!

I'm pretty sure I want to do Charlotte Mason, but I'm looking into other history options. A friend (who does traditional teaching) recommended "My Father's World" which starts at Creation & ends at current day. (I love this idea, BTW!) She also recommended Math-U-See & Shurley English. What are your thoughts on these? :flower3:

We currently use My Father's World & Math U See with a visual 5th grader and kinesthetic 2nd grader.
Crosswalk.com has some good info.

Just wanted to say "Hi" :thumbsup2 from an 'older' homeschool parent! FYI...It can be done! Wanted to encourage all these newbies that YOU are your biggest fear! Think you can't do it? You can! Who knows your child better than you? What's your goal for your children? Whose vision do you want them to have? Whose morals or motives? Whose standards?
We homeschooled our first two from 5th grade all the way up until college. Both won full scholarships, my ds won his IMBA (full assistantship), and my dd was preadmitted a year early to nursing school. After 9 years of college, we paid for a backpack and a few books. My ds finished his MBA in Dec at 23, my dd is a cardiac/neuro nurse at one of our hospitals.
And guess what? We just started our 6th grader in August homeschooling. So here we go again!
When ppl ask us when we will put her in or IF we will ever put her back in, we tell them, "We don't know, it's a year to year decision", but we'll do what's best for her!

Love our choices, no they weren't easy (but is anything in life?), but so proud of Who they have become, Who they belong to, and What's in store for them next!

You can do it!!!

:teacher:

Just wanted to say "Hi" :thumbsup2 from an 'older' homeschool parent! FYI...It can be done! Wanted to encourage all these newbies that YOU are your biggest fear! Think you can't do it? You can! Who knows your child better than you? What's your goal for your children? Whose vision do you want them to have? Whose morals or motives? Whose standards?
We homeschooled our first two from 5th grade all the way up until college. Both won full scholarships, my ds won his IMBA (full assistantship), and my dd was preadmitted a year early to nursing school. After 9 years of college, we paid for a backpack and a few books. My ds finished his MBA in Dec at 23, my dd is a cardiac/neuro nurse at one of our hospitals.
And guess what? We just started our 6th grader in August homeschooling. So here we go again!
When ppl ask us when we will put her in or IF we will ever put her back in, we tell them, "We don't know, it's a year to year decision", but we'll do what's best for her!

Love our choices, no they weren't easy (but is anything in life?), but so proud of Who they have become, Who they belong to, and What's in store for them next!

You can do it!!!

I just had to say THANK YOU so much for posting that! Some of us need a boost every now and then! I love to hear stories of hsers who have older kids like youm, and what the kids have gone on to. Very encouraging! Your kids sound like they're doing beyond fantastic - you must be very proud and happy for them. Thanks again! :flower3:

You can do it!!!

:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter