Homeschool Chat Part III

Does anyone know where I could find online videos or purchase a subscription that doesn't cost a fortune for history and science? I am looking for significant world events in one place. Thanks!

You might check on homeschoolbuyersco-op.org. They are free to sign up and offer all kinds of deals on many different types of curriculum. We have several video subscriptions we have found through them in different price ranges. Here you go:

• iKnowthat.com currently $28.97 for 1 year subscription
  • The Happy Scientist currently $10.00 for 1 year subscription
  • DE streaming Plus currently $199 for 1 year subscription

Also, we have a subscription with Brainpop.com which runs $99 for 1 year subscription. This has been my daughter's favorite.

You can also find videos for free on http://video.pbs.org/. There is a Topics tab which gives you several options to choose from. And, http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/ also has many videos to choose from.

Thanks so much. I am constantly looking for new sources of information. You can never have enough sources. Although my daughter might not agree:rolleyes:

Hi Moms!

My name is Michelle and I am strongly considering homeschooling my daughter. She is seven and is undergoing chemotherapy. Everyone keeps telling me I should send her to school to give her a "normal" life but I feel like I am exposing her to illness that would require her to be hospitalized etc. I am also making the school accomodate her, I am struggling with finding someone who can watch her before and after school that I trust with her medicine etc.

I work full time now, well actually 4 days a week because I take her to chemo.

Problem is, I need to decide like yesterday because school starts in a week and I'm losing my childcare (my sister in law) on Friday.

I know you all are homeschoolers, but does homeschooling her seem like the right thing to do?

Also, I homeschooled my oldest daughter for a year using Connections Academy but she was a lot older.

I would rather use some sort of curriculum but I have no idea where to start and what is good.

I guess I just need some help/support.

In your situation I would no question homeschool! She'll be exposed to less germs and also be able to rest more. I can't imagine how tired she'd be going to school all day during chemo.

I too recommend Snlight especially since a lot of it is you readi g to her. She can cuddle up on the couch while you read.

Hi Moms!

My name is Michelle and I am strongly considering homeschooling my daughter. She is seven and is undergoing chemotherapy. Everyone keeps telling me I should send her to school to give her a "normal" life but I feel like I am exposing her to illness that would require her to be hospitalized etc. I am also making the school accomodate her, I am struggling with finding someone who can watch her before and after school that I trust with her medicine etc.

Problem is, I need to decide like yesterday because school starts in a week and I'm losing my childcare (my sister in law) on Friday.

I know you all are homeschoolers, but does homeschooling her seem like the right thing to do?

Also, I homeschooled my oldest daughter for a year using Connections Academy but she was a lot older.

I would rather use some sort of curriculum but I have no idea where to start and what is good.

I'd definitely homeschool at least while she's doing chemo. I know I couldn't go out without a mask and schools are so germy. No way with a compromised immune system.

I hope you find the care you need. Have you talked to a social worker? They may be able to help. I hope you can find some resources in your area.

Good morning, all. I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on Math. I am one of those uber-nerds who does tons of research way before I need to. :rotfl2: I am preparing to start PreK-3 with my almost 3-year old, and while I know what we're doing at this point (pretty much play with purpose), I am also researching and looking ahead to kindergarten/1st grade with my research. As such, I am on the fence between Horizons and Saxon math, both of which have pros and cons as I can glean. Can anyone share their experiences/opinions? Thanks!!!

We have used both, and I find that I like teaching Saxon more. It is a little more hands-on than Horizons. It definitely takes longer though.

The worksheets for Horizons are much more colorful and sturdy (Saxon are only on black and white, and relatively thin paper).

Hi Moms!

As much as you want to give your DD a normal life, I would homeschool her. You can work around her schedule. If she is feeling great than you can get alot of school done. If she is not feeling so good than maybe just the basics. On chemo days, no school. Than the ability to protect her from the germs, is the big plus in my book. There are lots of curriculums out there from virtual schools to Abeka to Horizons to Alpha Omega and many others. Many school districts offer a virtual school option, you can check into that. If you want more of a Christian based curriculum than look into Christian book store online and see what they have. or you can google the Companies above.

Good luck with whatever you decide. May your DD have a full recovery.

chris31997 said:
As much as you want to give your DD a normal life, I would homeschool her. You can work around her schedule. If she is feeling great than you can get alot of school done. If she is not feeling so good than maybe just the basics. On chemo days, no school. Than the ability to protect her from the germs, is the big plus in my book. There are lots of curriculums out there from virtual schools to Abeka to Horizons to Alpha Omega and many others. Many school districts offer a virtual school option, you can check into that. If you want more of a Christian based curriculum than look into Christian book store online and see what they have. or you can google the Companies above.

Good luck with whatever you decide. May your DD have a full recovery.

I agree. You will never regret getting to spend all the time with DD as she goes through treatment and recovery. Having the flexibility to learn when she feels up to it will be priceless. Prayers for your decision and DD's full recovery!!

How do you decide when to start? I was going to align with the school district, but now we might go visit Grandma that week.

How do you decide when to start? I was going to align with the school district, but now we might go visit Grandma that week.

My 3 youngest school aged kids (preschool, 1st, and 4th) all go to a private Christian school which for the most part follows the school district's schedule. They don't take off for teacher in-service or things like Mardi Gras, though. They also start 2.5 wks after public schools b/c of this. We'll be following the same schedule w/ the 3 oldest kids at home (we have 7 kids, total). They all use the same curriculum, so it pretty much finishes up the same time. We're taking 2 wks off in December for Disney (2nd and 3rd week), though. We'll probably do some school during Christmas break. I haven't decided yet. I may just try to catch them up by skipping a few school vacation days throughout the year so that it doesn't seem like they're catching up the days all at once. I tried to talk them into a year round schedule, but they all said they'd rather be off the whole summer w/ their siblings. LOL!

I'd say, do what works for you. Some of my h/s friends started this week, even though public schools start next week. Just make sure you lay out your calendar to meet the 180 days or whatever it is where you are. I wonder if Epcot can count as field trip days?? LOL!

We had off about 6 weeks this summer and that was longer than planned but we did other things besides "book" work during that time. I live in NJ and the public school doesn't start till after labor day but we started on Monday. We can finish up in about 3 hours (6th grade) the subjects that will need to be covered daily. Once the PS is back in session we will be adding in other subjects but we are still done in about 4 hours not counting outside classes, activities or co-op.

One of the great joys of HS is the schedule is yours to create. We don't have teachers in-service, snow days or half days. Even if we have other plans for a day trip our schooling can be completed in the evening and we often have classes on a Saturday or Sunday.

This winter we are traveling for 5 weeks and again in the spring for a month. Our school books fit in a carry all tote and with a laptop and a kindle we are good to go.

We tend not to take long breaks but everyone works differently.

We don't have to report as DD is only 7, so I guess that's what caused my dilemma...never thought to plan out the whole year!

My 3 youngest school aged kids (preschool, 1st, and 4th) all go to a private Christian school which for the most part follows the school district's schedule. They don't take off for teacher in-service or things like Mardi Gras, though. They also start 2.5 wks after public schools b/c of this. We'll be following the same schedule w/ the 3 oldest kids at home (we have 7 kids, total). They all use the same curriculum, so it pretty much finishes up the same time. We're taking 2 wks off in December for Disney (2nd and 3rd week), though. We'll probably do some school during Christmas break. I haven't decided yet. I may just try to catch them up by skipping a few school vacation days throughout the year so that it doesn't seem like they're catching up the days all at once. I tried to talk them into a year round schedule, but they all said they'd rather be off the whole summer w/ their siblings. LOL!

I'd say, do what works for you. Some of my h/s friends started this week, even though public schools start next week. Just make sure you lay out your calendar to meet the 180 days or whatever it is where you are. I wonder if Epcot can count as field trip days?? LOL!

You must be from Louisiana too!

Hi all!

So glad to have found this thread. Although I'm quite new to the Disboards I'm not that new to homeschooling. We are going on our 6th year and loving it. I have DS who's 12 and DD is 7. DD has never set foot in a PS but DS has. I pulled him out when he was in 2nd grade. My only regret was not having done so sooner. :)

We live in a state that requires us to record 180 days. Last year we started after labor day, but we felt behind the entire year. This year we started with a couple of field trips to some museums and will start our curriculum tomorrow! :banana: Our local public schools started last week.

Oh, those of you with beginning readers, Sam's Club has Bob Books for about $10.50.

About to start year #13 of homeschooling! Dd16 is starting her senior year. (Whoa. Where did the years go?) I cannot express how grateful I am for the amazing opportunity to see my girls grow and learn through the years. It was definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. Homeschooling is AWESOME! :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter