HOLLYWOOD Facts and Helpful hints for Tourists from Locals

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by fairycat, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Disneyof3

Disneyof3 <font color=deeppink>Mother of my 3 angels, heaven

:thumbsup2

Wow this thread is so helpful. Thank you everyone for this. We have a whole day to spend exploring Hollywood. I would like to head to Westwood Memorial Park (from the discussion 1st on my list), then head East on Wiltshire to Rodeo Drive. Now from there I want to go to Holywood/Highland for the shopping and the walk of fame and the disney shops. But I would also like to see Forest Lawn Memorial Glendale and Hollywood Hills. Then end up at the Observatory at the end of the day for the sunset. We will spend at least 1-2 hours per gardens depending on the day. The biggest thing is the monuments at these park, I have heard they are huge and incredible. I also can't be in California without seeing my favourite actress Marilyn Monroe's grave site. Can this be done without rushing?? Shopping is really just for fun, this won't take up alot of time, more will be the walk of fame and the disney shop and soda place.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Disneyof3

:confused3

Can anyone hep me!!!!

4. perlster

perlster DIS Veteran

It sounds like a lot, but I would say it is doable on a weekend. Trying to visit different, spread-out places in L.A. on a weekday will just be too time-consuming. Take a look at this page - WMP is not easy to find

5. Disneyof3

Thanks for replying. We would be doing it during the week, likely a Monday or a Tuesday. I'm possibly thinking of starting off and seeing how the day goes, if we don't have time then head back to DL and then start again the next day where we left off. We will see how much we get done, maybe we will be satisfied with what we get done and then not use the 2nd day. Rodeo drive will just be a drive through anyway and I'll be taking pictures out of the car window. Thanks for the help.

6. Lostgirlz

Lostgirlz DIS Veteran

I have not fully read through the thread, but my first real trip into LA was in July. My family took me as I was doing a 4 day lay over in Cali, and doing Disney. We took a day to do LA. I went down to the hotspots sunset, Robertson, beverly hills, and saw no one not even papparazzi. I wanted to mention 1 cemetary that I did not see mentioned in the list that really is a must, and gets thousands of visitors a year. WestWood Cemetary. There are some VERY well known people there. The great Marilyn Monroe is buried there which was really my main reason of going there I am a HUGE fan of hers. Also Rodney Dangerfield is there, Truman Capote, Dorthy Straton (1 of the playboy centerfolds who was brutally murdered by her ex husband), Heather O Rourke (also known as Carol Ann from Poltergiest), Don Knots, Walter Matheu (sp), and Jack Lemmon both from Grumpy old men movie, Dean Martin, Natalie Wood, Billy Wielder (famous writer), Farrah Fawcett, Eva Gabor, Roy Orbinson, Dominque Dunne (older sister who was murdered from Poltergiest), Merv Griffen (game show creator such as jepordy). There are many more those are the ones I got photos of, and there are some very odd/funny epitaphs instead of birthdate/death date some chose to go out very funny. Now this cemetary is kind of tricky to get into as it is dead center in the wilshire blvd area. I highly suggest mapquest, or GPS. If youre a fan of many of these, and I know many probably are this really shouldnt be missed. When I went we thought it would be crowded, but it was very calm, and I walked right up to Marilyns with no wait. As soon as you enter you start seeing stars.

7. Mellby

Mellby Earning My Ears

I LOVE this thread. I've got 4 days in Hollywood alone and now have some really good ideas on what to do.

Thanks peeps

8. Mellby

Mellby Earning My Ears

Has anyone stayed at the new W Hotel on Hollywood Boulevard? I'm staying there in a couple of weeks and have read mixed reviews to being great to being awful with wannabee-movie star staff and loud parties...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

9. disnemimi

disnemimi Mimi to 6 Awesome Grandchildren

Another question. I am interested in doing the Hollywoodtours.us. Has anyone used them and what is your review? They have the best route I am interested in, but can't find reviews if they are reliable, since you have to prepay and no cancellation returns.

Sure appreciate any help from you all.
    Thank you,
    Karen

10. hitman9211

hitman9211 Earning My Ears

I haven't seen the movie so I am not 100% sure of the view you are talking about exactly.

11. PirateJoey

PirateJoey Earning My Ears

prior to our 3 days in Anaheim we are staying in Culver City for 3 days. On Monday Morning we are thinking of having breakfast in Beverly Hills and a little time to look around. Thinking of "The Farm"? was recomemded to me. Then we want to go to Santa Monica to spend the rest of the day.
    My first question is, I was thinking of taking Sunset Blvd all the way to PCH then drive the coast to Santa Monica, do the pier and third street promenade. Then maybe dinner and sunset drinks at sunset. finally taking Santa Monica Blvd back to Culver City.

Any thoughts on this? Especially the Sunset Blvd part? Is it senic? is it worth going out of the way for the views?

Thanks in advance
    Joey B

12. BlueIrish

BlueIrish Mouseketeer

Sunset to PCH will give you a view of UCLA/westwood area. Traffic can and will get backed up around there but use the time to take in the scene. Its not a bad drive and you will have some great views. Its been a while but there are some rather curvy streches.

Have fun, I miss Socal. Where are you staying in Culver City? I use to live in Culver city

13. PirateJoey

PirateJoey Earning My Ears

We are staying at the Four Points By Sheraton. I work for Westin so I get employee rates. Thats Why in Anaheim we stay at the Sheraton Park Hotel at the Anaheim Resort right behind DCA.

14. BlueIrish

BlueIrish Mouseketeer

nice! well have a great trip, enjoy the beach.

15. DannyDisneyFreak

DannyDisneyFreak Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

These links don't work right, they don't take you to the information they intend to. Maybe this thread needs to be updated, it's 6 years old.