Hockey Pockety Wockety Wack A Tale of A Trip from the Back of the Pack

I LOVE that haircut!!!! Your halloween costume was adorable too, but I know wigs get itchy and annoying after a while :rotfl:

Its sweet reading about your relationship with your niece :cutie:

Thanks. I'm loving the fact that I can dry my hair in a normal amount of time again. I definitely wasn't up for another winter of ice chunks in my hair. Both my nieces are my rays of sunshine. I can't imagine life without them. :goodvibes

I have my next entry just about written. Sorry for the delay. The blues have taken hold of me again, and I'm trying to deal with it before they get overwhelming like they were for most of last year.

On the plus side, I just got my photopass cd on Saturday, and my photopass album is on the way. I'm dying to see it!

On the plus side, I just got my photopass cd on Saturday, and my photopass album is on the way. I'm dying to see it!

We just got ours in the mail the other day and I have been updating my TR with them...I know I have seen them 100 times, but its so exciting to have them now :goodvibes

I know I ran the wine and dine half, but I swear the longer it goes since being there the more I forget the course we actually took...hopefully your TR jogs my memory (no pun intended :rotfl:)

Chrissy, I am sorry you are feeling low again! :hug: Let us know if there is anything your DISfriends can do for you!! :goodvibes

I have my next entry just about written. Sorry for the delay. The blues have taken hold of me again, and I'm trying to deal with it before they get overwhelming like they were for most of last year.

I am here if you ever need to talk as well :hug: I know walking/running (even in the cold) has been the best mood booster for me during tough times

We just got ours in the mail the other day and I have been updating my TR with them...I know I have seen them 100 times, but its so exciting to have them now :goodvibes

I know I ran the wine and dine half, but I swear the longer it goes since being there the more I forget the course we actually took...hopefully your TR jogs my memory (no pun intended :rotfl:)

I know what you mean about the pictures. I had actually finished the CD fairly quickly, but I'd been working on the photopass album for the rest of the time. I'm feeling very well acquainted with those pictures by now.

I have a few blanks on the race myself. A few of those miles all kind of blurred together, especially the ones that were just out on the highway. The clearest ones are the ones in the AK and the ones after I entered DHS. The rest are all a bit fuzzy. :rotfl:

Chrissy, I am sorry you are feeling low again! :hug: Let us know if there is anything your DISfriends can do for you!! :goodvibes

Thanks. I think alot of it has to do with the changing seasons. The only sun I see is on my walk from Grand Central Terminal to my office. I hate that it's dark by the time I leave the office now, and when I get up in the morning. It really affects my mood. I'm not feeling as bad as I was for most of last year, so I'm just trying to take it day by day.

Just wanted to check in and say I'm thinking of you. :goodvibes

:hug: Thank you so much. Thinking of my friends both here and in real life really has been helping me.

I am here if you ever need to talk as well :hug: I know walking/running (even in the cold) has been the best mood booster for me during tough times

I need to try to get out and walk/run even though it's going to be in the dark now. I haven't been getting much exercise and I don't think that's been helping any. I really want to start getting some runs in again.

After our lunch it was about time to head over to the Wide World of Sports to pick up our race packets. It took a bit of doing to find out how to get over to the complex. A few of the Beach Club cast members had no idea. Finally we found someone who directed us over to the Yacht Club conference center where they were going to have buses running continuous loops over to Wide World of Sports.

Me being me, had to stop and play with this vintage car they have parked right in front of the Beach Club.

DSC04166_opt.jpg

They actually had coaches transporting us over, not Disney buses, so it was a nice cushy ride over. I had never been over to the sports complex so I was a bit curious to see this part of Disney I had never explored. The place was really huge. I was really a bit surprised. There was quite a bit of activity going on both for the race, and for other events. I apologize that I didn't really take too many pictures. I was just soaking it all in.

DSC04169_opt.jpg

DSC04167_opt.jpg

DSC04168_opt.jpg

We took our time going through the expo. I purchased a car decal with the John Bingham quote in my signature on it. My friend picked up a few headbands. Packet pickup was along the back wall, with separate lines by bib number. I think that our bib numbers where the only ones with a line. :sad2:Still it didn't take long. The volunteer showed us what was in our packets, and explained a few things to us. From there we went over to the d tag testing area to be sure our shoe tags were working correctly (and with the right names) and picked up our t-shirts.

We poked around a bit after that, and stayed to listen to Jeff Galloway give a talk. He had some great tips for interval running, and for eating and keeping hydrated the day of the race. I was tempted to make a few purchases at the expo. I was particularly interested in ear buds to use with your ipod that were molded for you specific ears. As the owner of tiny ears that no ear buds stay in, I was tempted. I was also tempted to pick up a Wine and Dine "I Did it" t-shirt, but I thought I would jinx myself to buy it before I actually did do it. In hindsight I wish I had bought it because I couldn't get one afterwards. So to anyone running in a future Disney race, buy whatever you like at the expo. It probably won't be available after.

When we were done we headed back to the buses and headed back to the Beach Club. It was still early, and we were both itching to try some of the ice cream treats at Beaches and Cream so we headed back to see if we could get in. We would have just picked up something at the take-out window, but we both wanted items they only offered inside. The cast members working recognized me immediately as having been there just a couple of hours before. :rotfl: They got a kick out of it. That's what I get for wearing something that sticks out I guess.

We took seats at the counter since we were just having icecream. My friend had a rootbeer float -

DSC04171_opt.jpg

She gave it the thumbs up for being good. I had probably the best snack/desert I had all week, a Frozen Sunshine.

DSC04172_opt.jpg

I'm a sucker for creamsicle flavored things anyways so this was perfect for me. It was a cross between a creamsicle and an icecream soda. It was so thick that I had to eat most of it with a spoon, and there was a ton of it! Besides the glass in the picture they gave me the extras in that were in the metal milkshake cup. There was nearly a second glassful in the cup. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I polished it all off. It was that good. Plus how can you go wrong when it's decorated with those little candy orange slices? While we were there an alarm started to go off along with flashing lights, and before I knew it a cast member was announcing it was my birthday to the entire restaurant and had them sing to me. I was given a balloon for my embarassment. :) Really though it was sweet. I definitely wasn't expecting it, and had forgotten that I was wearing the birthday button. (I had been tempted not to wear it since it wasn't actually my birthday, but since I was celebrating my birthday I said heck why not?)

Full from our icecream we headed back to our room to get some rest. I loved these umbrellas lined up outside the Cape May restaurant.

DSC04170_opt.jpg

Back in the room, my friend took a bit of a nap while I unpacked my stuff and got my race day stuff ready for the next day. I laid out my running outfit pinning my bib on it. I put my D-tag on my sneakers, got my ipod set up, and packed the bag I was going to check at the race making sure I had my after party bracelet and food coupons in there. When I was done I sat and watched the goings on at Stormalong Bay for awhile.

It was definitely the most relaxing afternoon I'd ever spent at Disney, and I was surprised that I wasn't really missing being in the parks immediately. There's a lot to be said for enjoying some easygoing moments at Disney.

Thanks. I think alot of it has to do with the changing seasons. The only sun I see is on my walk from Grand Central Terminal to my office. I hate that it's dark by the time I leave the office now, and when I get up in the morning. It really affects my mood. I'm not feeling as bad as I was for most of last year, so I'm just trying to take it day by day.

Have you thought about trying light therapy? I know that there are special very bright lamps which offer nearly all the light in natural daylight and supposedly being exposed to them every day after you get up really helps against seasonal moods. A colleague of mine has this and swears by it and I have seen a TV-programm about it. It might be something worth investigating. :goodvibes

Look at you in that sassy dress, miss! I LOVE IT!!! :thumbsup2

Thanks for describing the expo, and I'm happy you had a relaxing day. Sometimes...may the DIS Gods not strike me down...it's nice not to be in the parks.

I missed your update because we posted at the same time: great update!

I found the WoS pics very interesting. I would have expected a much more utiliatarian look, but this looks lovely. :goodvibes

Oh and this orange thingie has my name written all over it!! Since I am planning to stay at BWV for my next trip, I will make sure to try this early in the trip in order to be able to have it again if I like it as much as I expect to like it from your description! :thumbsup2

Have you thought about trying light therapy? I know that there are special very bright lamps which offer nearly all the light in natural daylight and supposedly being exposed to them every day after you get up really helps against seasonal moods. A colleague of mine has this and swears by it and I have seen a TV-programm about it. It might be something worth investigating. :goodvibes

I might have to look into that. I get messed up every year when the clocks change. I get really blue. I oversleep all the time - it's crazy.

Look at you in that sassy dress, miss! I LOVE IT!!! :thumbsup2

Thanks for describing the expo, and I'm happy you had a relaxing day. Sometimes...may the DIS Gods not strike me down...it's nice not to be in the parks.

I love that dress! I bought it when I bought the bathing suit. I couldn't resist.

It was great easing my way into Disney. I might have to try it again the next time.

I missed your update because we posted at the same time: great update!

I found the WoS pics very interesting. I would have expected a much more utiliatarian look, but this looks lovely. :goodvibes

Oh and this orange thingie has my name written all over it!! Since I am planning to stay at BWV for my next trip, I will make sure to try this early in the trip in order to be able to have it again if I like it as much as I expect to like it from your description! :thumbsup2

I'm really glad I got to see a part of Disney I never saw before. It actually reminded me a lot of the architecture over at the Hard Rock Hotel. I too was really surprised at how welcoming it was. I expected lots of fields and boring buildings.

The orange thing was great. You have to try one if your love orange/cream things at all. So good!

Hi I think you have seasonal affective disorder and its very commen! Here is a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

I work in the medical field and we just had a lecture on this! And yes Magdalene is right about the light therapy. I would see your doctor about it hopefully they would be able to give you a prescription for the light itself. I wouldn't try to purchase one on your own you want to make sure you are getting the correct amount of light dosage and you need a doctor for this.

Great update and I would have been all over the dreamscicle shake thing too! YUM!

Hi I think you have seasonal affective disorder and its very commen! Here is a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

I work in the medical field and we just had a lecture on this! And yes Magdalene is right about the light therapy. I would see your doctor about it hopefully they would be able to give you a prescription for the light itself. I wouldn't try to purchase one on your own you want to make sure you are getting the correct amount of light dosage and you need a doctor for this.

Great update and I would have been all over the dreamscicle shake thing too! YUM!

Thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to have to talk to my doctor about this. It happens every year like clockwork in the fall when the days start getting shorter. Eventually I adjust a bit, but the first months a just awful. I don't think it helps either that I work in a windowless cave. I hate not having even access to a window to see the outdoors.

Thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to have to talk to my doctor about this. It happens every year like clockwork in the fall when the days start getting shorter. Eventually I adjust a bit, but the first months a just awful. I don't think it helps either that I work in a windowless cave. I hate not having even access to a window to see the outdoors.

Glad to be of help. I would ask your doctor to check your vitamin D level as well. DH although he doesn't suffer from seasonal effect disorder, he was a while ago feeling tired and less energenic, it turns out his vitamin D was extremely low. Remember we do get vitamin D from the sun so it would make sense to have that checked as well. His doctor prescribed him a higher dose of vitamin D but it took about 3 months before it was at a normal level.

I don't think it helps either that I work in a windowless cave. I hate not having even access to a window to see the outdoors.

That sounds really horrible to me as well! :scared1: I am very glad that I have a window, even when the weather is grey outside!

Could you go outside in your lunch break? :goodvibes

Glad to be of help. I would ask your doctor to check your vitamin D level as well. DH although he doesn't suffer from seasonal effect disorder, he was a while ago feeling tired and less energenic, it turns out his vitamin D was extremely low. Remember we do get vitamin D from the sun so it would make sense to have that checked as well. His doctor prescribed him a higher dose of vitamin D but it took about 3 months before it was at a normal level.

I'll have that checked out too. I've been incredibly sluggish lately too. I'm finding it really hard to get up the energy to do much of anything lately. I feel like I need a perpetual nap. It's so not easy getting older! :)

That sounds really horrible to me as well! :scared1: I am very glad that I have a window, even when the weather is grey outside!

Could you go outside in your lunch break? :goodvibes

It is a really depressing work environment. I wish I had known where my work area was going to be before I started working here. When I had gone for my interview it was on one of the regular floors filled with big windows overlooking Rockefeller Center and Central Park, lots of sunlight, chrome and light wood. It's very modern and beautiful. On my first day I was brought to my department -in a completely interior space 30 floors away from the beautiful modern offices. Down here we are filled with flourescent lighting and boxes of paperwork lining every available free wall space. If I want to know if it's raining out I need to go online and check before I head out. I despise it. It just gets to you after awhile. :sad2:

Our dinner ADR wasn't until 7:45, but I wanted to pick up our MNSSHP tickets at the MK will call window. I also had a very import photo I wanted to stop for before it got too dark. Again, we had headed down to the bus stop which really felt miles away. There is definitely a correlation between the level of Disney hotel you are staying at and how far away you will be walking to the buses. At All Star Sports last year the bus stop was right outside the side door. At POFQ it's a short walk from the main building. I've stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Boardwalk and the Beach Club and at all of them your definitely making a hike to get to the bus stops. There were a few people waiting for the bus when we got down there dressed for MNSSHP that night. A few of the kids already were complaining about their costumes. :) We only had to wait a few minutes and a bus had arrived.

There was a bit of a line at the Will Call window at the MK, but it was moving along. I think people thought I was dressed as a sailor girl or something for the party, because I received a few compliments on my "costume". :rotfl: We were just about next in line when a CM started chatting with us to see what we were waiting in line for. He was French, and absolutely adorable, and yes I felt very old for even thinking such things! :guilty: Still I was having fun chatting with him while we waited. He pulled us out of line, and went into the office to pick up our tickets. I chatted with him a few more minutes, and then I sadly let him go back to work wishing I could find one like him in an older model. :thumbsup2 Still I had my photo to stop for over at the Poly. I had to stop for a picture with my Tiki. I want to make it a new tradition on my trips. He was there waiting for me, but I wish they'd trim the brush around him. It's not terribly dignified to be climbing into the bushes when your in a dress. :lmao: My first picture with my Tiki back in 1979 -

PolyTotemsUnknown_opt-1.jpg

And the new, can it really be over 30 years later, version -

DSC04176_opt.jpg

Once I happily had my picture taken we hopped back on the monorail and headed over to the Contemporary. There was a bit of a line to check into the the California Grill, and we had to wait for a bit once we had our pager. At least there was plenty of room to sit while you waited, but the seats weren't particularly comfy. They were all slick, pretty and modern looking, but they were awfully low. I have short legs and I thought they were low. They were a bit difficult to get up from once the pager when off. :eek: I was hoping we'd get seats in the Wine room again, but we got just a plain old seat in the middle of the room fairly close to the sushi area. Not great, but it was fine.

We decided to share a the Chef's Garden flatbread for our appetizer, heirloom tomatoes with mozzarella, balsamic onions and basil. It was absolutely delicious. The tomatoes were some of the most flavorful tomatoes I've had in a long time.

DSC04178_opt.jpg

For dinner I had the oak-fired filet, but I forgot to take any pictures. :sad2: Sorry! It was so good I had eaten most of it before I remembered to take a picture. Sadly this was the last thing I really enjoyed eating that night. Not because my desert was bad, but because my entire vacation nearly went up in flames right about this point.

I had finished my entrée and my friend and I were relaxing over the last of our wine, chatting when I went into my wallet to get my license out to show my friend. I can't remember now why I had to show it to her, because all I remember was that it wasn't there. My ID was gone. I searched through my tiny wrist bag, and through every pocket of my even tinier wallet trying to find it. Nothing. I was panic stricken. How in the world would I ever get home without my ID was the only thing going through my head. I'd never get be allowed on the plane. I didn't even know where my expired passport and birth certificate where at home if I had to have some Fedex it to me. It was a horrible feeling. I was envisioning my entire vacation ruined, because I was an airheaded twit who lost her license on her first day at Disney. :sad1:

I was trying to think back to when I had it last. I knew I had it at the expo, because I had to show it to get my packet. That was the last time I remembered. My friend though was convinced that I had it just a short while before when we had picked up our MNSSHP tickets. I didn't remember that at all, convinced that I had only given the CM my online receipt. I didn't want to ruin the rest of my friend's dinner so I insisted that we finish our desserts and stay to see the fireworks. My mind though was a million miles away.

I had the bananas and caramel dessert.

DSC04179_opt.jpg

It was good, but my enjoyment was tempered by the utter fear going on in my head. I loved the layers of phyllo pastry and the bananas. The brittle stuff on top was okay, but it was a bit too crunchy for me. I liked it, but I would have definitely preferred more frozen sunshine. Not terribly classy I know, but hey - the way to my heart is through icecream. :laughing:

My friend had the Valrhona chocolate cake. She said it was pretty good.

DSC04180_opt.jpg

We finished paying the bill just as the fireworks were starting, so we headed out to the back roof-top deck to watch the show. Both decks were really crowded for the show. Much more crowded than when I had been out there in March. I tried to enjoy the fireworks as much as possible. Normally I love the Halloween party fireworks, and it was killing me that I couldn't really enjoy them.

When they were over we headed back over to the will-call window at the Magic Kingdom. My friend was pretty insistent that I had given my ID to the cute french guy to pick up my tickets so it was worth a shot. There was no one at the window when we got there and asked yet another incredibly goodlooking CM if anyone had found my ID. (Seriously why are they hiding them at a will-call window? :confused3) He went off to check, and moments later my french cutie came up to the window with my ID. :cool1::cool1::cool1: He was so apologetic and sweet that he had forgotten to give it back to me. I told him I was just happy and relieved that he had it. Obviously I was spending too much time flirting with the CM, and not enough time paying attention. I guess there's a lesson to be learned there somewhere, because I have no memory of handing that man my ID. :rotfl:

With my ID safely back in my wallet (where I guarded it like a hawk the rest of my vacation) we headed back to the Beach Club for a good nights rest before the big day.

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

What a scare!! I am so glad that you got it back! And the tiki picture is wonderful. :goodvibes I think you got compliments on your costume because of the retro style of your dress - btw, you look fantastic in that dress, it suits you great and the colour is lovely. :thumbsup2

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

What a scare!! I am so glad that you got it back! And the tiki picture is wonderful. :goodvibes I think you got compliments on your costume because of the retro style of your dress - btw, you look fantastic in that dress, it suits you great and the colour is lovely. :thumbsup2

I was so petrified that it was gone for good! I'm always losing something, but never my ID. That and my train ticket are the two things I'm always checking constantly to be sure if it's there. I was baffled at what I had done with it.

Thanks about the dress too! I love the company that makes them. It looked great and was incredibly comfortable. I caved this week and bought myself a new Christmas dress from them. I'm dying for it to get here.

All caught up:goodvibes Sometimes it is so nice to take a relaxing trip to DW and not worry about rushing to see everything. That is one of the nice things about going to Disney often. You can lose that sense of urgency.:lmao:

Wow what a scare to lose your DL.:confused: I would have been so worried too.

I had left my camera at Chef Mickeys and realized it after we got to the car, when my camera case felt real light. Luckily I had left it on the table and DH ran up to the check in area and was able to get it back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter