High-Tech Camping

I just thought of another idea that involves tech and camping. We have had our rig broken into in the past and realize just how vulnerable all these pricey goodies are when away from home.

That's a good point. We tend to stay at the same places (outdoor world campgrounds except for the fort) and usually with 1 or 2 family/friend groups for holidays. So we don't really worry about this because there's always "somebody" around. Ours isn't the fanciest rig by any stretch but we have the most technology - 2 or 3 laptops plus DH's aircard plus frequently my Viking embroidery sewing machine (worth a few grand on its own) plus the XM radio. Most of us don't even lock the doors at night when we're together.

Hmmmm.... now you've got me thinking about where to "hide" the stuff when we go out AND locking the door! We don't really have the room to create a lockbox. :sad2:

Thought I might 'tickle' this thread and see if we might revive it.

Some time ago I mentioned the concern we have about leaving the pups during hot weather and worrying about either the AC failing or the CG power going out (not much of a concern at the Fort)... or even those occasions when we have to leave them in a parking lot with the genset running. Lots of things to cause concern.

I was looking on eBay for USB thermometers last night and found many listings for a cheap one caller TEMPer that is typically under $10. I checked out the software it comes with and it can be set to send an e-mail if an over-limit temperature is reached. So if you have internet access at your campground and can receive e-mail on your phone you can relax when leaving the pups on hot days. In my case, we use an aircard for internet so this could work for us pretty much anywhere. I haven't ordered yet, since all listings are sellers in China :scared: but I probably will, it's only a $10 risk. I'll report back.

:santa:

Just wait a couple days and a spammer will probably post an ad for one on the Camping thread.

Thought I might 'tickle' this thread and see if we might revive it.

Some time ago I mentioned the concern we have about leaving the pups during hot weather and worrying about either the AC failing or the CG power going out (not much of a concern at the Fort)... or even those occasions when we have to leave them in a parking lot with the genset running. Lots of things to cause concern.

I was looking on eBay for USB thermometers last night and found many listings for a cheap one caller TEMPer that is typically under $10. I checked out the software it comes with and it can be set to send an e-mail if an over-limit temperature is reached. So if you have internet access at your campground and can receive e-mail on your phone you can relax when leaving the pups on hot days. In my case, we use an aircard for internet so this could work for us pretty much anywhere. I haven't ordered yet, since all listings are sellers in China :scared: but I probably will, it's only a $10 risk. I'll report back.

I'd certainly be interested in your findings. popcorn::

Thought I might 'tickle' this thread and see if we might revive it. :santa:

I'd be interested in how this works for you. I've never been brave enough to leave the RV just on generator anywhere, so we don't take it out other than to a campground. Dsis has taken hers to Six Flags, but doesn't take her dogs for the same reason.

We have, on several occasions, left the pups in the moho with the generator and A/C in a parking lot and have never had a problem. The longest was probably while visiting Williamsburg, where we probably left them for two, four hour stretches. But, we are never comfortable doing this, and the fear hangs over our touring like a dark cloud. That said, I am still extremely reticent to send $10 to China in hopes that they reciprocate with an actual, working USB therm. I'll let y'all know if I overcome that fear! LOL

I am still extremely reticent to send $10 to China in hopes that they reciprocate with an actual, working USB therm. I'll let y'all know if I overcome that fear! LOL

DH has ordered from Hong Kong on eBay. It took about 2-3 weeks, but he did receive his order (a GPS system). When he had a problem with it, he was able to get it resolved (they sent him another SD card for the system.

I wouldn't worry about ordering from China.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter