High-Tech Camping

However, you could help me to know what I need to have an internet connection while away from home. I have an N-card and I assume I would have to have a air card away from home - Is this right?

How much do Air Cards cost? I hope I'm not too Annoying. I just wish I understood all this tech stuff....

Oh, not annoying at all... that's the kinds of conversations I started this thread to have. For internet in more and more campgrounds these days you already have all that you need, as many are providing wi-fi, and often for free. Your wi-fi "n" card can take advantage of all the popular flavors of wi-fi: "b" the first broadly adopted standard, "g" a superset of "b" with more throughput, and the new "n" which is a superset of "g" with more range and throughput. So you are set, so long as you are sure your destination has wi-fi and that you will be camping in an area of the campground with good reception. Some truck stops and even some state rest areas are adding wi-fi. So it could be that you'll be able to connect every time you stop, especially with a little planning.

The catch? All too often I find that these access spots charge for the service, and while it is usually pretty reasonable, each requires some amount or registration and a credit card number. I just don't like plugging my information and credit card number into "Joe's Travel Stop WiFi" registration page for a 15 minute web session. And then having to do it again at Barnes and Noble that afternoon, and again at the campground. If there were a single clearinghouse, like Paypal for wifi, where I'd only have to register once and thereafter just authorize payments, it might be different.

So the inconvenience, and uncertainty of coverage, are two factors that lead me to get and aircard. That, and the fact that my wife is a telecommuter and needs to be assured of an internet connection when we travel. The aircard uses cellular phone systems and can connect to the internet pretty much anywhere a cell phone will work. In modern cell coverage areas it works quite fast, 6-15x as fast as dialup. In older cell coverage areas it will still connect, but it insufferably slow (maybe comparable to an old 14.4k modem); but is still useful to check e-mail. I have only once or twice run into a pocket of this old service, and have had the high speed service even in areas where there was not enough signal for me to make a cell call (like along the Blueridge Pkwy, which is pretty remote).

As for costs, I am probably not the best one to ask. My wife gets our equipment and service from her employer (one of the providers for aircard service) at a considerable discount. Normally I believe the cards run about $100 (I recommend a USB-connecting card) and service can be about $60 per month, I think. So, it isn't cheap. For us, it was cheaper than cable or DSL so we dropped the wired internet service altogether and now use aircard exclusively (at home and in traveling). If you use it for work, see if your employer will pay for it, or at least take an unreimbursed work expense write-off on your taxes.

We already had Verizon cell service so our air card was $50.00 but after rebate it was FREE. Now it's $60.00 plus taxes and fees per month.

We went from Verizon to Sprint aircard as the Sprint service was more reliable, especially in the areas where we camp. (Or should I say "modestly RV" ;) )

Really wanna know how you set up the network, Shan-man, as we tend to travel with 3 laptops (me, DH, and DD-15). And, as DD says, what's the point of a laptop without internet? We only have 1 aircard, for DH's teaching, and it's not easy to check e-mail on his computer. Let alone Facebook. Yes - we're geeks, and we're sorta proud. :thumbsup2

Do you have a special router, or just a standard wireless one?

------ And yes, we do spend most of our time away from our computers - that's usually saved for the wee hours (gotta Dis, you know!). I'm still considering a slingbox for the Tivo, since we don't have satellite for the camper. But haven't gotten that far yet - just the old 13" tv and a VHS/DVD player. No HDTV for the camper for at least another year.

Really wanna know how you set up the network, Shan-man, as we tend to travel with 3 laptops ...

Do you have a special router, or just a standard wireless one?

Welcome to the conversation musicmama! I use a Cradlepoint router, the CTR350 which I find to work remarkably well. Once it is setup, it is effortless to use. I can simply unplug the router and transfer the aircard to use away from home. Get back and just plug the aircard back in and plug the router power back in and in 30 seconds wi-fi is back up. Super simple. Another thing I like about this router is that it has a LAN port to which I have connected an Apple Airport Extreme to extend my wi-fi range (it is "n") and to provide file & print services: the Airport Extreme has a USB port (that can be hubbed) and will publish all drives and printers on that port over the network. On the road we just take the Cradlepoint and aircard, of course. I have a large inverter that powers them and the laptop while en route (my wife was on her laptop for hours on our last trip home from Disney!). I usually take my external drive along also, but just plug it in directly to my laptop (no need to fileshare here).

Cradlepoint makes other aircard routers: ones that take express-card or pcmcia cards, and ones that run on batteries for better portability. I love mine!

Wow - just checked out the router! Looks like DH's Christmas present might be taken care of.

We are considering a return to the Fort, or possibly our Thousand Trails campground, in the next couple years - depending on how Christmas week falls. This would be great for that, let alone our other "regular" camping trips.

Hi. I use a usb aircard from sprint with my laptop. I looked into the cradle point router but realised I could just create a wireless AD HOC network and my bride to be can use the connection on her laptop within 30 ft of mine. setting up an adhoc is quite simple. and i only pay 50 a month through sprint for unlimited usage.

That is a good point canedogs06. I had looked into doing an ad hoc but had some problems doing so. We are a mixed marriage (Macs and PC) so I suspect that had something to do with it, and I just couldn't ever get it to work right. I also was not crazy about the need to leave the host machine powered up all the time. And, I assume there is a performance hit on the host, too. But I'm glad it's working well for you.

I got my aircard router for a song on eBay and am very happy with it.

Sounds like a good rate you get through Sprint. How do you like the coverage and speed?

i think the pc to mac is the problem. The coverage is great in here in Fl driving through the Ocala National Forest I never lose reception and my speed is 882 - 1297 down and usually 400-557 up. Im not sure if sprint is still offering the unlimted plan. looked at the rates when I changed my cell plan and didnt see unlimited anymore. Guess im grandfatherd in. I run another laptop and my xbox360 off of my adhoc and can still download songs and watch streams at a decent rate

OOOhhhhh! Yeah! Put the cam on the porch at Trail's End! ;-) That'd be cool.

I think this is an awesome idea!! Id love to be able to watch you guys at the party!!!!

We have 100 loop requested next month. If we got a good spot, how cool would it be for all of the Fort Fiends to a have a live feed of the path to the marina?? And if I get sound working, you could hear the boats, wishes and the water parade! :thumbsup2

This is a bunch of *ifs* huh? I'll see if I can make it happen though! :thumbsup2

I think this is an awesome idea!! Id love to be able to watch you guys at the party!!!!

Oh no no no! You might get a rock'nRoll face when we zip by on the cart...but I'm not putting my mug on live feed after drinking at the GG on Halloween! :rotfl: But that would be cool if we had it set up so those who wish to make a fool of themselves on camera could huh? :cool1:

Shan-man you are not alone...I too am a Geek to the max. I have the CradlePoint for my Sprint usb card, too, and don't leave home without it. All of us have our own laptops that we take everywhere. Heck, I've got it made, BOTH my sons work at Best Buy ! I've thought about the Slingbox but after the comment about bandwidth I'm not sure that is the way to go. I have the Panasonic Internet cameras in my house so I can keep an eye on our cats while we are out RVing. And my 19 year old son when we are not there. :lmao:

Anytime RVing, is always more relaxing then being at home or at work. Even with technology gadgets. :surfweb:

Thanks Ami.

My new laptop for camping

image.php

I just thought of another idea that involves tech and camping. We have had our rig broken into in the past and realize just how vulnerable all these pricey goodies are when away from home. I was just thinking that, since my new computer uses bluetooth to connect the mouse and keyboard I could stow the computer itself in a strong box under the dinette, bolted to the floor. All I'd need wires for is to drive an lcd tv with VGA inputs. The keyboard and mouse will work 30' away, so I could even send that signal to an outside monitor and use the computer while still being sociable on the patio. We need a new tv to use in the RV when traveling and in the kitchen when at home... and I think now I will add VGA input to the list of features I'd like in this new set.

I'd just use a claymore ****y trap - that'll take care of the problem- just be very,very careful when you go into the TT - send the otters in first! just make sure they're not totally ripped......

sorry that shoyld be bubie trap

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter