High School Class of 2015

Question for all you parents about grad parties. DS is inviting his friends to his grad party, but I didn’t invite their parents. I know them, we've spoken, but not well enough I felt the need to invite them. I did invite two friends (son is friends w/ their boys), but it is mainly family.

I on the other hand am being invited by the parents of all his friends! Honestly, I don’t feel bad I didn’t invite them, it’s that I simply can’t afford to go to all these parties and give gifts.

Anyone run into this? DS plans on going to all of them.

My DD has run around with the same group of 9 girls since they were in middle school. Because of that, over the years we have become pretty close with most of the parents. For that group of girls, she invited the parents and the kids. DH and I were also invited to most of those girls parties. I gave each of them a gift, but DD did not necessarily get gifts from each of them.

As far as other kids, she invited quite a few and I didn't invite any of those parents.

It seems like such a big decision at the time, but now that it's been over a couple of weeks, I can see how everything just seems to work out somehow!

Updating/bumping thread~
I haven't posted on this thread in forever! Graduation for DD has come and gone. We had SO many events surrounding graduation, I'm glad it's finally starting to settle down. DD applied and got into 5 schools, with a wish for a spot in a competitive master's program at her first choice school. She was struggling with what her decision would be if she didn't get into the program, but she did and things all fell into place for her. She's very excited! She's working and enjoying her summer. We have a lot of her dorm items, still need to stock up on personal/food items and coordinate with her roommate on decorating touches.

Her school has a Common Reading Experience Summer Program~ they will be assigned a book to read (soon hopefully!) that everyone reads, has discussions on and an evaluation, usually in the form of a written assignment (maybe an exam too? not sure). Does anyone know if their freshman will have this requirement as well? Just curious is this is common with other schools. (My DS had to do this as well, completely different school~)

The thing that took me by surprise about DD's graduation is how emotional I was with all of it. DS is going to be a junior (college) next year, so I thought I had this as old hat and I'd be ok with it. I wasn't! It wasn't any easier this time around!

Hope everyone is having a nice summer and congratulations to all the wonderful graduates and graduates to be! Sending positive thoughts to all on this special milestone... :flower3:

Her school has a Common Reading Experience Summer Program~ they will be assigned a book to read (soon hopefully!) that everyone reads, has discussions on and an evaluation, usually in the form of a written assignment (maybe an exam too? not sure). Does anyone know if their freshman will have this requirement as well? Just curious is this is common with other schools. (My DS had to do this as well, completely different school~)

My son's school announced at orientation that they were doing just this. I thought it sounded like a great idea. He was supposed to read "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" and they would weave it into a number of his classes in the fall. I don't know if he just didn't pick the right classes, but nothing was ever done with it. I actually thought it looked interesting and read it myself, but he never did. And now he has the last laugh 2 years later. Maybe there will be some sort of final senior year! :lmao:

We are not having a party at all. Well take him out for dinner after and that will be about it. Our graduation is on a Thursday night at 5:00 pm so most of your families will be still at work and would have to travel 2 hours to get here so I won't put that on them. None of my niece or nephew's had parties either. Come to think of it we only celebrate and party for there sacraments at the church and an odd birthday party when they were very young.

Only allowed 4 to come to the ceremony and we are a family of 4 so we could invite one more person. It will be a long one since there are over 230 graduating this year. I know my family is proud of him graduating, may get a card in the mail may not from some but that is ok too. It is our milestone in our little family we will celebrate together all is good.

We didn't have a party for DS either. We are a family of 3 and we included DS girlfriend and went out for a celebratory dinner in Philly. My DS's graduating class was over 500 students. My graduating class was 650 students. 230 is a drop in the bucket. Lol

Graduation was last night for DD. Her class was only 68, but there were quite a few speeches, presentations and awards. We were all happily surprised when DD won an award for her senior project. Our immediate family and my inlaws came. We all went out to dinner along with one of her graduating friends and her family. Funny thing was a group of the teachers were celebrating at the bar of the same restaurant. Not having a real party here either. Really was having a hard time figuring out when it could be, just no time this summer.

Leave for orientation in a couple weeks. I messed up the schedule, so we ended up starting with a full open day in Orlando. Going to be hard to resist going to Disney.

Donna

No book requirement at my dd's college and she is a double major english (creative writing)/communications (not sure the emphasis there yet).

She does have to take a hr/week "freshman class" for the first semester.

My older dd went to a different college and they did have a summer reading book with the college freshman class she was required to take.

Well our Graduation was last night. His class was 214 kids with 194 graduating. Made for a long night especially since he was number 8.

Loved seeing some kids he grow up with. They showed baby picture, grad 9 pictures then there grad picture. How they have changed.

I was really emotional when it first started thinking this is it for him, is it end of something or the beginning of something totally new to him.

We laughed because he was so tall had no problem picking him out or getting a head shot over the other parents. He also got an award that he was expecting so that was emotional. He missed honours by a percent and we thought he would be really upset since they get an extra gold sash. Lots didn't get it so that made him feel a little better.

He had a blast especially moving the tassel over and then throwing the hats in the air.

Now to start collecting stuff for his dorm room too . He moves in Labour day weekend. 5 hours away that should be fun.

YEA NAB!!!! Are you the last one for HS graduation on this thread?

My dd just got a letter today awarding her 500 more dollars on one of her scholarships due to the fact her accum. GPA was in a certain range with her final transcript. Sweet!

We are waiting on 3 pillows for her bedding she ordered. The rest is washed and packed up. So almost done with bedding.

Next up is dd getting her wisdom teeth out and a bone graft on Monday. Not looking forward to THAT!

YEA NAB!!!! Are you the last one for HS graduation on this thread?

My dd just got a letter today awarding her 500 more dollars on one of her scholarships due to the fact her accum. GPA was in a certain range with her final transcript. Sweet!

We are waiting on 3 pillows for her bedding she ordered. The rest is washed and packed up. So almost done with bedding.

Next up is dd getting her wisdom teeth out and a bone graft on Monday. Not looking forward to THAT!

The bone graft sound terrible, we did the wisdom teeth last summer.
I was probably the last one on the thread. We were the last school around here to get it done. Heck it was the same day as all the school were done for the summer....lol

We have bought him some socks and underwear knowing he will not wash until he really has too and a two pair of jeans. All dark so it will really be easy to wash a load.
Also we bought a shoe box plastic bin to start putting in over the counter drugs and first aid stuff to take.

So fun reading about grads. Remember to tell your kids where to go if they are sick at college. Yes I know most schools offer on school clinics. But if labs and or X-rays are needed they need to know which facility is covered in the area they are in.
We cover for a major university if the problem is beyond the staffs ability. A lot of times the student choose to be the last appt of the day because they do not want to miss a class or activity. By the time they are seen the 1800 number on the back of their card is closed and they need testing ( and it always seems to happen on Friday night) and parent is not home to direct them. (Example a stat hold and call for a possible appendicitis)
We have two large hospitals that are less than 1 mile apart that accept different insurance plans. If your child picks the wrong one to go to, after hours or weekend it can be a large avoidable bill. I can go to either hospital but one is in network and I pay my deductible only, the other I pay 80/20.

The bone graft sound terrible, we did the wisdom teeth last summer.
I was probably the last one on the thread. We were the last school around here to get it done. Heck it was the same day as all the school were done for the summer....lol

We have bought him some socks and underwear knowing he will not wash until he really has too and a two pair of jeans. All dark so it will really be easy to wash a load.
Also we bought a shoe box plastic bin to start putting in over the counter drugs and first aid stuff to take.

Well the dental surgery was yesterday. So far, so good. We will see when she wakes up lol. Another check off the list to do.

Next we go to the orthodontist and she has to get invisalign braces to move a tooth. Blah.

After she heals then she has more dental surgery for the implants. Once that heals then she will get the implants. Her mouth is going to cost us a fortune!

Her bedding is washed, packed, and ready to go.

Now we shop for shoes and clothes. We are getting there.

So fun reading about grads. Remember to tell your kids where to go if they are sick at college. Yes I know most schools offer on school clinics. But if labs and or X-rays are needed they need to know which facility is covered in the area they are in.
We cover for a major university if the problem is beyond the staffs ability. A lot of times the student choose to be the last appt of the day because they do not want to miss a class or activity. By the time they are seen the 1800 number on the back of their card is closed and they need testing ( and it always seems to happen on Friday night) and parent is not home to direct them. (Example a stat hold and call for a possible appendicitis)
We have two large hospitals that are less than 1 mile apart that accept different insurance plans. If your child picks the wrong one to go to, after hours or weekend it can be a large avoidable bill. I can go to either hospital but one is in network and I pay my deductible only, the other I pay 80/20.

When we went there for the orientation we stopped in at the pharmacy they use and registered dd. They will deliver meds to the dorms for FREE! Sweet.

Glad to here your DD is doing okay after her wisdom teeth. They look like chimpmunks for a while.

Thought of the over the counter stuff didn't even think if he needs a prescription. I do know there is a doctor/clinic on the school property . Dental he can go get his teeth cleaned by students ..lol

We haven't had an orientation just an open house in May. We are paying for him to move in early since my husband has to work Labour Day weekend. $25 a day , so we are moving in 3 days early costs a $75.

Since we are in Canada we don't have to worry much about medical costs and my husband has good coverage at work too for the drug store.

Just have to throw this out there ~ Kudos to the graduates who actually took the time to write thank you notes! I know it's 2015, and writing them seems old-fashioned, but I'm just disgusted with kids (and their parents) these days who make no effort to be thankful. We gave graduation gifts to 5 graduates ($50 each). We haven't received a written, oral, email, or even a text thank you from any of them. I know there are those who will disagree with me, but it's truly just rude and inconsiderate to not thank someone for a gift. Next year, my gift to graduates will include thank you notes and stamps.

My dd had her thank you notes written and mailed within 3 days of her party, without one word from mom and dad.

Just have to throw this out there ~ Kudos to the graduates who actually took the time to write thank you notes! I know it's 2015, and writing them seems old-fashioned, but I'm just disgusted with kids (and their parents) these days who make no effort to be thankful. We gave graduation gifts to 5 graduates ($50 each). We haven't received a written, oral, email, or even a text thank you from any of them. I know there are those who will disagree with me, but it's truly just rude and inconsiderate to not thank someone for a gift. Next year, my gift to graduates will include thank you notes and stamps.

My dd had her thank you notes written and mailed within 3 days of her party, without one word from mom and dad.
DS wrote all his thank you notes. I did have to stay on him a bit. He got them all done and mailed within 3 weeks (and he was out of town for Senior Beach Week for one of those weeks). DH's family prefers an immediate call, but I still insist on a written thank you note as well.

DS and I have his 2 day orientation on July 27 & 28. It's all starting to happen so fast!

Last edited:
I haven't posted much, but I have read along with quite a bit of the thread--it is exciting to have the kids graduation and needing to write those notes.

DD finished up her online school in late May and we left for an 11 night Baltic cruise the next day. We might not have been able to have a graduation ceremony or a party since her friends and family are spread across two continents, but we could so something special and fun, right?

She has really only gotten one graduation gift so far--one aunt emailed that she plans to take her shopping for dorm decor when she gets to Colorado in August. I think other things are waiting at my in law'S house---so she hasn't even had a chance to write more than the one thank you email thus far--but she has always been great about writing thank yous, so I am not worried. DS16 on the other hand?? It is a struggle every holiday--sigh.

My son won a money award at his graduation and they had a thank you card with a address label on the envelope inside with the cheque. My husband and I looked at each other and thought nothing like spoon feeding these kids.

He did send out a thank you card , hand written.

Yep...well we are at T minus a few weeks here!!! Aug. 15th is move in day.

DD is shopping online for stuff since we are so busy and just do not have tons of time for shopping trips.

Good Luck to all of us. :wave:

We are headed to go shopping for all the necessities today! We're 2 hours from the nearest mall, so it'll be a long, exhausting day, but dd is super excited! :) Can't believe we're a month away from taking her to college. Thankfully, they have an entire weekend full of activities for the students/families, and then we leave on Sunday. She will spend the next 3 days getting to know the other students, faculty, and churches in the area, and doesn't start classes until Wednesday. I think it's such a smart way to have freshmen start their college career!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter