Hhi

granolacruncher11

Mouseketeer
Please share all your secrets for making the best of HHI. What do you do there? What is the warmest month to go? What is the coldest? Where do you eat?

TIA

April to September Warm to Very Warm

Oct-Dec warmish days, cool to cold nights.

Jan Mar cool days cool to cold nights.

We like the Grill at both the resort and the beach house.

There is a very nice little Italian place across the highway from the resort caused Pazzo.
We like it alot. The Jazz Corner has a good reputation.

Robert Irvine has a restaurant on the island near the Jazz corner. Another good rep there.

Come over to Savannah and spend money! We have some very nice places here.

I am sure there are others...folks will chime in.

The coldest we've ever had was one Thanksgiving, when it was 32 degrees, and DH encountered several frost delay mornings on the golf course. We definitely needed hats and gloves that year! But generally, it seems that February is usually the coldest.
Where to eat? You'll get lots of great ideas here. Some of us love-
Signe's bakery-a must for morning breakfast sometime
Sea Shack-VERY casual seafood
Captain Woody's-recommended by the HHI front desk, good choice
Salty Dog cafe-also a good spot for Seafood, especially their She crab soup.
Pino Gelato in the little Wexford Mall nearby. They've got pistachio gelato.Mmmmmm!
And for a nice walk, Sea Pines Forest Preserve In Sea Pines. Also, a walk along the shore at the end of Beach Road (I can't remember the name of the park by there.

We love HHI and here are a few things we do every trip:

1. Get a copy of the restaurant guide.
2. we love Sunrise Cafe for breakfast out on the marina, by the bridge. It's all wood and stainless steel, when you walk in. Small place but serves great basic breakfast for a reasonable price.
3. Pizza from Guisseppes, super close to DVC and good for at least a meal & a half
4. Outlet shopping
5. Eat at Moe's on the mainland. This is a chain, but it's the first one we ate at and has a warm fuzzy place in our hearts.
6. Daytrip to Savannah is a MUST!!. If you like coffee you HAVE to go to the Paris Market on Broughten Street. We like Huey's on the riverfront. It's a New Orleans type of restaurant, the beignets are fabulous. and the candy store on Riverfront.

Not very exciting stuff, but we love going there. Another point of consideration is visiting Beaufort. I think we're going to do that our next time out.

We've visited in December, February, November, October & March. October should have been perfect but a storm system parked itself off the coast and churned for more than four days. March was surprising beautiful and we would try that again. Out personal goal is to usually go in an off off season for the quiet.

This is such a great thread for us....we are planning on going there in July next year for my DD's birthday. We have never been before and can't wait to try it out. I am suspecting that July will be very very warm which is o.k. with us since the beach is right there and the resort has a pool that looks really fun for the kids :goodvibes Thanks for all of the suggestions on where to go....a day at Savannah sounds really great.

This is such a great thread for us....we are planning on going there in July next year for my DD's birthday. We have never been before and can't wait to try it out. I am suspecting that July will be very very warm which is o.k. with us since the beach is right there and the resort has a pool that looks really fun for the kids :goodvibes Thanks for all of the suggestions on where to go....a day at Savannah sounds really great.

Oh yes it will be plenty warm but it's a perfect beach vacation :goodvibes

The Disney Beach House is about a mile from the resort itself but has everything you need to spend entire day (pool, counter serve, kids activities, beach access, etc.). The resort has a shuttle that starts around 9am (time may vary depending on time of year) or there's parking if you drive over to it and many bike or walk there too.

You'll have a great time :thumbsup2

Huey's is a great place. We almost ate there Thursday, but, the selection of places downtown is overwelming.

OH and Signe's! indeed. I agree about Signe's

Oh yes it will be plenty warm but it's a perfect beach vacation :goodvibes

The Disney Beach House is about a mile from the resort itself but has everything you need to spend entire day (pool, counter serve, kids activities, beach access, etc.). The resort has a shuttle that starts around 9am (time may vary depending on time of year) or there's parking if you drive over to it and many bike or walk there too.

You'll have a great time :thumbsup2

Would it be difficult to carry folded camper chairs (the kind that slip into a bag you can carry over your shoulder) onto the shuttle to take to the beach?

Would it be difficult to carry folded camper chairs (the kind that slip into a bag you can carry over your shoulder) onto the shuttle to take to the beach?

That would easily work and many do it daily. The shuttle is a great way to get to the beach.

Enjoy!

What city do you fly in to? Do you need a car if you want to do these day trips like to Savannah or are there shuttles for that as well?

Loved our two trips to HHI. Lots of activities at the resort and beach house both for kids and adults. Liked the Low Country Boil too, would like to go during summer for the fireworks.

One place I wouldn't miss would be Flamingo Doughnut Cafe. OMG, the best made to order fresh doughnuts with more glazes and toppings than I've ever seen before. Simply to die for!

http://flamingosdoughnutcafe.com/

We arrive Monday, August 22. Do you think we will still get the kids into some of the activities when we don't arrive on the Sunday?

Someone up thread asked about airports.

The Savannah/Hilton Head is the closest. You'll need to arange transport from there. It's a very easy 40 or so miles from the airport to HHI.

Ask away!

One place I wouldn't miss would be Flamingo Doughnut Cafe. OMG, the best made to order fresh doughnuts with more glazes and toppings than I've ever seen before. Simply to die for!

http://flamingosdoughnutcafe.com/

On my "to do" list for our next trip. I gave up doughnuts for Lent, and since we'll be at HHI for Easter, we'll be there!

As far as airports, Savannah is closest and most convenient, but for us, unfortunately also the most expensive. We've also flown into Charleston and Jacksonville. When we flew into Jacksonville, it was late at night, and there was lots of construction, so I didn't enjoy that drive. Next month we'll be flying in to Charleston on Southwest. It's costing the two of us less to fly there than it would cost per person into Savannah. So for us, the extra drive is well worth it.

What city do you fly in to? Do you need a car if you want to do these day trips like to Savannah or are there shuttles for that as well?

You can either fly into Savannah (about 45-50 minutes away just across the GA border) or directly onto the island. The number of flights onto the island will be very limited (3 or 4 per day) and on a turbo-prop. HHH is tiny and currently does not service "commercial" jets. It also costs roughly double of what a flight to Savannah would. Savannah's airport offers a much better flight schedule and services jets as well.

Like I said above, Savannah is roughly 45 minutes from mid-island (where the Disney resort is located). There are shuttle services that could take you to and from Savannah, but a rental car would be far more cost effective. Savannah is an amazing town. Very rich in history and everytime I go there, I find another great off the beaten path restaurant. Savannah is also home to Paula Deen's restaurant, The Lady and Sons... The food is good there, but the crowds, due to Paula's fame, tend to create a longer than average wait... Some of the buildings throughout the city have amazing murals created by the students from SCAD. Also, make it a point if you go to visit the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. Amazing architecture is all around the city.

The DVC resort is right next to Shelter Cove, where there are plenty of shopping and dining options. If you go down island to the Forest Beach/Coligny Circle area, there are more options for dining (try The Big Bamboo Cafe) and shopping. You could also go into Sea Pines ($5-$10 for a day pass) and hit Harbour Town and South Beach Marina. Both locations offer shopping and dining. During warmer months there is usually live music. One of my favorite places to get something to eat is The Skull Creek Boathouse. They have a great outdoor bar situated right along Skull Creek called Marker 13. It's a phenominal place to relax, have a few cold ones and watch a spectacular sunset over the creek...

Come to Savannah! Spend Money!

BTW, forget Paula's place. Try Mrs Wilkes!

http://www.mrswilkes.com/

Same long lines, better food.

I also recommend the River House, Saltwater Grill, and the North Beach Grill for other good local Stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter