HHI--things to bring, things to make, things to rent...

Have a HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY to those at HHI! ENJOY!:beach:
A BIG THANKS AND HUG to those who have served or are serving our country proudly!:thumbsup2:cheer2::grouphug:

So about this new rule about DVC membership cards....I went to rent bikes....and I said I was a member. The KTTW card said DVC reservation. The cast member told me I needed a DVC membership card to get the discount. Reason: to make sure that exclusive discounts are only given to DVC members and not to people who rent the points. Luckily, I had my Disney Visa which states DVC member.

Tonight, we were in the shop. A gentleman (wearing a DVC polo) bought a refillable mug. He went to pay and said he was a DVC member. Sorry, Charlie - no membership card, no discount. Disney is willing to upset loyal customers over a $1.50?

Disney has been a leader in creating a cashless system where you only need one card to do everything - room keys, park entry, meal plans, park tickets. And, now, they are requiring us to carry the membership card to get a 10% discount?

When I book a Disney cruise on cash - never using my DVC info, they seem to know I am a DVC member. Disney has so much personal data on all of us - they can't figure out how to put a code on the card for DVC members?

So about this new rule about DVC membership cards....I went to rent bikes....and I said I was a member. The KTTW card said DVC reservation. The cast member told me I needed a DVC membership card to get the discount. Reason: to make sure that exclusive discounts are only given to DVC members and not to people who rent the points. Luckily, I had my Disney Visa which states DVC member.

Tonight, we were in the shop. A gentleman (wearing a DVC polo) bought a refillable mug. He went to pay and said he was a DVC member. Sorry, Charlie - no membership card, no discount. Disney is willing to upset loyal customers over a $1.50?

Disney has been a leader in creating a cashless system where you only need one card to do everything - room keys, park entry, meal plans, park tickets. And, now, they are requiring us to carry the membership card to get a 10% discount?

When I book a Disney cruise on cash - never using my DVC info, they seem to know I am a DVC member. Disney has so much personal data on all of us - they can't figure out how to put a code on the card for DVC members?

Disney is all about the money. They do not want to give a discount, even to you, the member, consequently, they have rules in place to force you to prove that you are eligible for the discount. For HHI, I suspect that there are many more non-members renting units for cash than there might be at DVC resorts at the World, so they are more adamant about requiring proof of DVC membership via the DVC Member Card. I agree that they ought to be able to put a code on the KTTW card, but then how would they differentiate between legitimate members (eligible for discount) and those that rent points (not eligible for discount) both are DVC reservations made by a legitimate DVC member. Since keys are usually printed in advance these days, they would not be able to add anything to the key at check-in. Sure, technically there are ways they could do it, but there are financial costs to anything technical. It is just easier and cheaper to force a member to produce a Membership Card to prove eligibility for discounts.

Not a member, but I do understand your point completely. As far as the keys being printed in advance, in our case they were not even with me doing on line check in. Kids stood there and watched the lady print them out at check in and she handed them to us one by one as they came out. So I would imagine it would be possible to put something on the key cards if they really wanted to.

Disney is all about the money. They do not want to give a discount, even to you, the member, consequently, they have rules in place to force you to prove that you are eligible for the discount. For HHI, I suspect that there are many more non-members renting units for cash than there might be at DVC resorts at the World, so they are more adamant about requiring proof of DVC membership via the DVC Member Card. I agree that they ought to be able to put a code on the KTTW card, but then how would they differentiate between legitimate members (eligible for discount) and those that rent points (not eligible for discount) both are DVC reservations made by a legitimate DVC member. Since keys are usually printed in advance these days, they would not be able to add anything to the key at check-in. Sure, technically there are ways they could do it, but there are financial costs to anything technical. It is just easier and cheaper to force a member to produce a Membership Card to prove eligibility for discounts.

Exactly.

And please don't get upset and scream at the CM's that are saying you need your card. They are only doing what they've been told to do.

My husband and I have been members since 1999 and HHI is our home resort. We gave a week to our son for his college graduation and he was told only his parents are members not him. Has anyone heard of this? I gave him a copy of my DVC member card.

If they can figure out that I am a DVC member when I book a cruise through a travel agent on cash, they can figure out who is a member and who isn't when points reservations are made.

What about kids that buy/rent something - they don't have DVC membership cards. Do they need to get Mom or Dad (who are on vacation, too) and bring them to make the purchase?

My daughters are 20 and 22. What if they take a trip without us? It is ridiculous. And of course, one should not take it out on the CM's. But, they need a little discretion. A guy is not going to own a DVC polo unless he is a member.

My son is 21, was at hhi two weeks ago and he was told my husband and I were members not him! I even gave him a copy of my card. I don't get it!!!!

I m going to call tomorrow for clarification. If we rent bikes only those on the deed get the member price? Confusing...I will let you know what they say.

I got annoyed over 25 cents. At Kidani. Bought something in the shop for 2.50 and when I looked for my card, realized it was back in the room. Well, I was hard headed enough that I walked back to my room and got the card. Got my quarter......sheesh.....it's probably in the bottom of one of my handbags somewhere..... I think what really sent me back to the room was the absurdity of insisting a guest prove they were eligible for 25 cents off.

But, even though this was only 25 cents, all the little discounts add up. If I spend $500 on odds and ends that yield a 10-20% discount that's $50-$100 - enough for some other treat.

My husband and I have been members since 1999 and HHI is our home resort. We gave a week to our son for his college graduation and he was told only his parents are members not him. Has anyone heard of this? I gave him a copy of my DVC member card.
CONGRATS to your son on his COLLEGE GRADUATION!party: Hope that the employment outlook is good for him!

We just checked out yesterday. There was a hairdryer. I wish I had brought an electric griddle because making pancakes 1 at a time in the frying pan was very inefficient. I also missed either plastic wrap or big storage bags to store leftovers and lastly, I would also consider bringing a nice chef's knife. None of the knives there would slice a watermelon and they were dull in general. DH wished we had a blender for fun drinks.

Today is our last day at HHI. We've had a great stay, and this will likely become part of our yearly summer vacation. We may start looking for a small contract--which we would combine with cash stays.

We brought a travel gas grill (Brinkmann-$35 or so at Home Depot) which has been great!

The Kroger and Whole Foods are a short bike ride away--both great stores with a great selection! Prices at the Kroger are very reasonable and no higher than my prices at home--I'm used to shore grocery stores jacking everything up, so we drove down with a car packed full of food, which wasn't necessary.

We are SO happy we rented bikes. A must-do if you are an active family.

We also rented chairs and an umbrella, and that, so far, has been a waste of money. Being from the north, I can't get over how warm the water is, so everyone has been swimming in the ocean or we've been spending time at the Beach House pool.

Like Trip Planner said, I wish I had brought a good knife (the ones here stink) and I brought foil and plastic wrap. If we made pancakes, I'd also bring a griddle. And I'd also being a large pot next time. I had to bake our corn on the cob since there was no pot large enough to boil it in.

Please feel free to ask any questions! :)

Last edited:
Jennybdis, HAPPY to hear you had a GREAT stay at HHI! :beach:Yes, bikes are great, our older sons loved riding to the beach as we did. Sounds like the water was very warm. Did you have a long wait for restaurants mid July?:goodvibes Such a GREAT relaxing resort!:thumbsup2

@jerseygal No--not at all! We ate at Hudson's (really good!) the first night and showed up after 8. No wait at all. The second night, we are at Scotty's, which is right across the resort in the marina, and had no wait (7:30 or so). We've eaten in since then.

@jerseygal No--not at all! We ate at Hudson's (really good!) the first night and showed up after 8. No wait at all. The second night, we are at Scotty's, which is right across the resort in the marina, and had no wait (7:30 or so). We've eaten in since then.
Good to hear about crowds! :goodvibesAte at both end of May too! Good!:thumbsup2

We just checked out yesterday. There was a hairdryer. I wish I had brought an electric griddle because making pancakes 1 at a time in the frying pan was very inefficient. I also missed either plastic wrap or big storage bags to store leftovers and lastly, I would also consider bringing a nice chef's knife. None of the knives there would slice a watermelon and they were dull in general. DH wished we had a blender for fun drinks.

Housekeeping will bring you a blender if you ask for one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter