• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hess and Chevron Gas stations putting large hold on debit cards

Sorry the "doing that" I meant was asking for your pin even if you are trying to process it as a credit transaction. Fees for the merchant are lower for pin-authorized transactions but many banks (including mine) charge customers for pin-authorized debit card transactions.

clkelley said:
This has been true for years. NEVER pay at the pump with a debit card. They only read the card for a few seconds to make sure it is valid and put a hold on it. That saves bandwidth charges on the computer network. Of course in years past it may have only been $30 or $40, and with the rising price of gas, they have to increase the hold.

Another thing I have noticed some gas stations doing is when you pay with a CC at the pump, the most they will let you pump is $50. That is a bit aggravating when I want to fill up and it takes about $68 to fill my tank. I wait till my tank is empty, then fill it. Then, when I try to continue to fill the tank on a new transaction, my CC asks me to come inside because it is two consecutive transactions at the same location. It is really a PITA.

Carol

Here's a little maintenance tip. Don't let the tank get below a quarter tank. The fuel pump is located in the tank and uses the gas to keep it cool. The pump will last longer.

safetymom said:
I have been paying at the pump for years with my debit card as a credit card and never had a problem like this.

For now I will be buying gas at other stations that don't do this.

Thankfully my tank doesn't hold $50 worth of gas.

My tank is only 13 gallons. It's never held $50 worth of gasoline before, but after Hurricane Rita comes and goes that may not be the case anymore.

I almost exclusively use my debit card for gas up here in WA state. The biggest hold on my card so far has been $1, so I've got my fingers crossed!

I think they do this with credit cards as well but it doesn't usually impact the user. I have noticed at times there are large pending payments after filling up my car but then after a day it goes away. Usually with credit cards, the available credit is high enough it doesn't cause people to notice it.

wfloyd said:
I think they do this with credit cards as well but it doesn't usually impact the user. I have noticed at times there are large pending payments after filling up my car but then after a day it goes away. Usually with credit cards, the available credit is high enough it doesn't cause people to notice it.
wfloyd,
Yes--I've noticed it, too. I try to look at my CC balance at least once a day to monitor things. I notice it alot after taking a trip. Oddly enough, when we made a trip to DL and stayed at a Disney Hotel, there was a 1,000 hold on the CC for at least a week after we returned home (and at least a week past having the final bill reflected on the CC). It showed up in the "pending charges" list, so I couldn't tell to which company to attribute the charge. It was driving me crazy because the only charges on the card were those made at DL and I thought that all the charges had already been reflected... So, I kept wondering if I had forgotten a large purchase. (Or, was it a fraudulent charge!) :earseek: Finally, it just disappeared.

-DC :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter